Hotels.com Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hotels.com President Johan Svanstrom
Johan Svanstrom

Pros
  • Fast paced and fulfilling work environment (in 11 reviews)

• The most amazing work life balance I've seen anywhere (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge, especially for certain teams (in 4 reviews)

• left because i was looking for advanced career opportunities where i could better apply my skills (in 3 reviews)

"Almost too good"

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time

Pros

Great managers, interesting projects, good atmosphere, lots of fun and lots of chances to expand knowledge outside of day to day activities. All facilities and equipment are immaculate and everyone there is lots of fun to work with.

Cons

It being almost too good (and my first proper tech job) make me feel like the only way from here is down! It would also be nice if there was more rotation between teams within the company.

Advice to Management

Be more hands on with developers and get involved with people's activities rather than waiting for them to come to you with things.

2. "Excellent Company with high growth"

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent working environment. helpful and talented colleagues.

Cons

Fast pace, high pressure, high targets (but that could be seen as a good point)

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Really don't know how it can be the best company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Nice offices in Angel
    - Good pay
    - Nice tech used
    - Plenty of work from home and flexible hours

Cons

- Platform and organisation in general will make you cry at a certain point
    - Bullish management that never gives promotions or pay rises, despite you meet your objectives
    - The company falsely advertises as easy to change position within... totally untrue. Manager will bully you if you try to move
    - American style relations with employees, that means you are an enemy and you must not have any problem
    - Any sort of recreation activities? Everyone keeps saying how fun it was before, then they go away

Advice to Management

Treat employees better, give chances to move around the company or to get promoted for real.

5. "Assist hotels"

Current Employee - Lodging Partner Associate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Lodging Partner Associate in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and lots of spreads

Cons

A lot of favoritism within the management team.

6. "Encourage Diversity"

I worked at Hotels.com full-time

Pros

The benefits are great, the office has fantastic amenities, and the company is doing some great things to drive the industry forward.

Cons

It can be really hard to fit in if you aren't a part of the predominantly wealthy and non-religious culture. I was told once by a manager that I wasn't passionate enough about my work because I spent 10-15 minutes away from my desk each day for prayer and spent most of my evenings with my family and religious community rather than working longer hours into the night and weekends like many of my co-workers.

Advice to Management

If you expect employees' lives to revolve around their work without any kind of balance with other priorities, you should make that clear during the interview rather than saying you have great work-life balance. This is the 21st century and employees should feel comfortable practicing their faith and living a balanced life as long as it doesn't hinder job performance.

7. "Very good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior TechOps Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior TechOps Engineer

Pros

Good pay, good benefits. Great working relationship with managers and colleagues.

Cons

Nothing really, everything is just good.

Advice to Management

Keep like this, it's great.

"Great Company - very weak management"

Former Employee - Fixed Term Contract in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Fixed Term Contract in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very interesting product, amazing office, great culture with a lot of events, great people to work with (exept management)

Cons

Very big in fixed term contracts within HR, high uncertainty if contracts will be renewed or not of leaving it until the last week before the contract ends.
    My line manager treated me very unfair during my time there, seeing me as a competition rather than support and clearly favoured one individual in her team. She was constantly late, however, she didn't miss a single chance to criticise and pulling her subordinates down, she also never distributed workloads fairly and does not lead by example.
    As a fixed term contractor you weren't getting half of the benefits of the permanent staff and it was never clear if you will be permanently employed in the future or what objectives you were required to complete in order to achieve it.

Advice to Management

Managers with leadership responsibility should only be in these positions if they have people skills and know how to manage fairly without blatantly abusing their position and job title, ultimately I left the company because of my boss even though I was very successful and appreciated by my stakeholders and other employees.

9. "I have been spoiled!"

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hotels.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, intelligent, quality people
    Good work ethics, processes, and practises
    Learning opportunities
    Location
    The big terrace with the amazing view
    Communication between teams

Cons

Policy is for contractors not to be able to work from home at all, although perms can

Advice to Management

Let contractors work from home from time to time

"Not for long Term"

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hotels.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Startup culture, get to work with newest technologies, good Benefits

Cons

No Career Progression, Once you are hired that's all you'll remain at that level for really long time 4-5 years and by then either you will move on by your own.. or you'll lose the excitement. Fyi I am not one of those who is cribbing about not getting promotions.. but I am talking in general people here leave as they don't see any career progression.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, Have some plan for career progression, one can't be good and at same designation for his lifetime.

"Nice environment, low ceiling"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Hotels.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good office environment, emphasis on enabling work-life balance and vacation/travel, competitive pay

Cons

Main office is in London, which means lots of remote management and little visibility by most senior management. It's difficult to advance your career, especially below senior manager level, without that visibility -- unless you want to move to London. Minimal investment in training or skills-building.

Bills itself as a "tech" company but as you can see from website, it is a generation behind due to under-investment in product side -- not on par with top-tier tech or ecommerce companies, only competitive because other travel companies are even less invested.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology side. Give regional offices the same career opportunities as central office. Don't hire all ex-consultants at the expense of promoting from within.