Hootsuite Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hootsuite CEO Ryan Holmes
Ryan Holmes

Pros
  • Overall the best work/life balance I've experienced in my career (in 13 reviews)

• Great culture & no ideas are off limits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Some growing pains, not always clear what procedures are for things (in 11 reviews)

• Good luck finding a leader who will actually have your career development in mind (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great company to start your career at"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Hootsuite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You can make some really great friends here.
    - The people here are all so smart and are open to sharing their knowledge with you.
    - True tech company culture (the retreats are so much fun!)
    - The leaders are really smart and have great experience.
    - Dog friendly office.
    - Great office space.
    - Gym classes and gym facilities are unreal.
    - A great place to learn and start your career at.
    - Great marketing and brand presence.
    - Has a strong grasp of its target market and place in the industry.

Cons

- HR doesn't do a whole lot when you complain about feeling uncomfortable or disrespected by a colleague. This needs to change. When someone complains to you about feeling disrespected by a colleague, do something about it! Don't be another Uber.
    - Some senior leadership can be unprofessional during retreats.
    - They say there's a lot of professional growth opportunities but that only happens if you're lucky to have a manager who allows you to grow. Some managers don't foster growth.
    - Starting to lose some really awesome OG people.
    - U/X of the product needs a major update.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to always put your people first. No matter what. The people who work at Hootsuite really care about Hootsuite. So please, please, care for your people too!

"Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Education in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Education in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Hootsuite (More than a year)

Pros

nice offices that encourage work and play
    dogs allowed in most offices
    8/10 people you work with are great
    well known company in the industry
    flexible with WFH

Cons

average pay but mediocre benefits and terrible/non-existent perks
    new management mis-aligned with culture - cold, numbers focused
    high turnover from people leaving voluntarily and layoffs
    terribly inefficient with process, lots of duplication and miscommunication
    platform isn't what it used to be and is seeing stiff competition in the market

"Great for newbies to the workforce."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Hootsuite (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good People that I will miss
    Fun Industry with compelling story
    New CFO is intelligent leader

Cons

Young Employees who have not earned their titles.
    Leadership does not own their mistakes.
    Culture internally does not match the external image

Advice to Management

Own your mistakes

"Great place to be but fear its heading in the wrong direction"

Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hootsuite was one of the best places I could ask for to start my career.

Cons

Growing with the company for 3 years I've seen the culture slide and its turning into something many people didn't sign up for. You are seeing a lot of the old guard change at Hootsuite and there is a reason, I hope they can bring it back to what it once was

Advice to Management

Don't turn your sales culture into SAP. Money / IPO isn't everything

"New Execs don't get it"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great culture, interesting people and a spirit of innovation. Great offices and the sector is fascinating. The CEO is a visionary and truly cares about his team and company

Cons

About 18 months ago the company started hiring senior execs from larger enterprise software companies with the plan that these senior hires would help scale the company. With the exception of the CFO this has not happened. The head of sales has instituted a culture of finger pointing and nepotism that will be familiar to many and would/could be tolerated if the previous culture hadn't been so innovative, inclusive and powerful. For some reason the culture and spirit that made the company is now viewed as a weakness and it has been replaced by a boring, soulless, 90's software sales culture that is chasing the good people out and replacing them with people who only want a job. Much of this is normal growing pains but the senior business team sees Vancouver as a weakness, and our 15+M users as evidence that we don't/can't sell high enough. The net result of all of this is negativity, a culture of old white guys who don't understand social and might as well be selling hardware in 1998. This is shaping up to be a classic business case of what not to do.... I have seen this before at other companies, thinking that the original team that came up with the idea, grew the company, and took the risks isn't smart enough to evolve. It is almost always a mistake and this will be as well. Sales at Hootsuite under the new Enterprise dream team haven't improved, growth has slowed and turnover has skyrocketed. They all work remotely, fly in to berate people, talk only to each other and never show up for company parties, social friday's or even end of quarter. It is really sad to see.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore the SMB's and the people who made HS such an incredible place to work. There is still time to turn this around but the morale is eroding faster than our growth metrics and the problems lie at the top in sales and marketing. Make changes, don't be embarrassed to embrace SMB's and scale the business the right way

"The name of the game is hustle!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very strong company culture that is spoken about all the time but until you work here you don't realize how much it affects you day in and day out in the most positive of ways. You actually enjoy your work. From your business decisions to your reviews to how you conduct yourself on internal Facebook it's truly amazing to see how our culture is actively formed, discussed and evolving. You have the ability to speak freely and actually shape the culture. The thing is you have the ability to do whatever you want at Hootsuite. Whether that's do nothing and wait for something to happen to you or whether that's to send a global email to run a program - it's completely up to you. People who can take advantage of that and who can take initiative do well. People who wait for instructions and complain about things that are entirely in their control to change do not do well. We recently had an incident where yes our CEO as you may already have heard sent a prank number to a male reporter. Those who work with him or know him know that it was a genuine mistake with long standing repercussions but what evolved from that internally is honestly quite special and made us all feel even stronger about the fact that we work at an amazing workplace and for an amazing CEO. We are close knit and think the outcome of it internally brought us all closer together as a company. A lot of ownership and heartfelt sentiment internally with a measure to do better moving forward not just in our dialogue but in our actions. We had honest and open discussions and I couldn't be prouder to work with a team that may stumble but constantly strives to be better every single day. It's easy to point fingers from outside or as a new hire but I work with a lot of people who really care, are super honest and radical and speak their minds. It's not a koolaid drinking company any longer. We have a lot of people that are in it to win it and are here to go the distance. Amazing leadership team. Executives are some of the best, most caring and personally involved in their team I've ever seen. They truly care and are invested in their team. When it comes to female diversity it's been great to see C level like Traci Mercer, Kirsty Traill who's brilliant, Penny Wilson who has an amazing mind, Candice Pederson, Dipti EMEA, Elizabeth for community, Leila one of the best CSM's, Crystal and Gillian in APAC, Susan Perry, Ashley Penning, Lara, Karolina, Michelle, Niamh in UK, strong females all across the globe and very tight knit globally. Coffee syncs and coffee chats are a great way to reach out to anyone from C level to someone across the globe. Everyone is very open to meeting you just need to put something in their calendar and you have the opportunity to pick some of the best minds in the business over coffee. #Randomcoffee also very cool way to get to know people in the company and connect with different departments via internal coffee match up system. Read a review complaining about the amount of work. This is a tech company, you get recognized and paid with bonuses or RSU's and promotions if you work hard. If you want a 9-5 where you clock in at 8:59 and clock out at 4:59 this isn't the job for you. My boss has never told me to stay late or expected me to have an email read at 11pm. Working hours are 100% respected but you have your own book of business and your own work to manage. I essentially make my own hours if you work really hard one evening you come in a little late the next morning or you work from home - that's called real life. You get what you have to do done. Great opportunities to work from different offices across the globe as well and save some vacation time if needed.

Cons

Some newcomers have heard of Hootsuite but think its a place where you can just come and drink beer on the roof instead of actually having to work. They often find it hard to adjust the perception they had in their mind and haven't worked long enough with the company to realize we are still growing and expect everything to be done for them rather than them using their own brains or initiative to get things done. They usually don't last long and then leave bitter reviews! Those newbies aside the only con is our HR team that don't focus on internal candidates globally enough. People have been given visas or are looking to stay permanently but HR does not do anything to help facilitate the next step. Employees often waiting till a week before having to move countries before realizing if they get to keep working with the company or not. Employee completely on their own for securing their next position regardless of seniority. Seen it happen to a few friends who had come into Canada on visas but luckily they were able to get PR. HR did not help or help move to different offices where they could have worked.

Advice to Management

Middle management may be focusing too hard on their own careers and next promotion step. Promote your team, promote your staff, in turn you will be promoted. Don't look for your next promotion without having your staff lined up for theirs!

"Reality Vs. Perception is very different"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time

Pros

- People are friendly and welcoming here, and generally speaking there isn't a lot of ego. Most of the ego i've observed has been from the executive team. For the most part, people are just focused on trying to get the work done, and there is a huge amount of work.

- Company is split across 3 buildings within a few blocks, which leads to a slightly silo-ed feel. Sometimes it's nice to get out for a few minutes of air and a walk between the buildings. This makes it difficult to be on time for meetings occasionally.

- Dog friendly office

Cons

- They talk a lot about work/life balance but the reality is that people are still there way past 5pm and I regularly receive emails at 10:30pm at night and over weekends. Leadership are the worst for this. I've also noticed that because the workload is so heavy and they only give 5 sick days a year, people often come into the office sick and spread it around.

- Like most tech companies, things move at warp speed. However, they're so focused on speed that basic yet important stuff gets forgotten about or dropped e.g. new employee onboarding leaves a lot to be desired and really does not set new people up for success. I've heard a number of new staff say they are left to figure things out for themselves (which isn't an efficient use of time or resources). They also need to learn how to work smarter. It's a regular complaint that there are too many meetings and the meeting-heavy company culture is impacting productivity.

- I had to negotiate hard on salary as they tried to lowball. They also stressed about the free yoga classes and gym as part of the compensation package. i work 8 hours solid, often with no lunch and so don't get to avail of these 'perks'.

- I applied for, interviewed and joined because of a role that was mutually agreed upon. The reality has turned out to be different. I was in the job for a few weeks before they started "moving the goalposts" and adding additional heavy workload that did not fall under what was agreed on (effectively increasing my workload to that of 2 people). Others in my field have echoed similar experiences.

- I was very clear in my interview that i work well with all types of people except micromanagers and people who are disrespectful/unsupportive of their staff. Despite telling them this, I'm now working with a micromanager who is cold, unsupportive, plays favorites, and whose direct reports are fearful of their wrath.

- Very disorganized, very few processes and policies in place which makes things chaotic and means folks do things differently (often resulting in budget spend that is not necessary). There's a lot of the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

- Like many tech orgs, employee turn over is high. A number of my team have left recently to work elsewhere. I won't be too far behind them. My observations lead me to believe that folks stay here for a while, learn what they can, start to burn out from the workload for not enough pay and move onto better paying roles elsewhere.

- CEO recently tweeted/responded to an interview request by asking the reporter to call 1-800-EAT-DICK. I was horrified to see the head of a social media/marketing organization lose his cool on a public forum without zero regard as to how his stupid, homophobic and sexists actions might have affected the reputation of the organization or the livelihoods of his staff.

Advice to Management

Clean up the Executive Leadership Team (some toxic people there). Listen to staff at all levels and start to action/factor in their feedback. Ensure the foundational stuff is done right before charging ahead full speed. Stop the incessant meetings.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Analyst in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work culture, work/life balance is healthy, nice offices, friendly and talented people, dog friendly office, great location near shop/restaurants and seawall, transparent management, start-up feel, youthful and energetic, excellent perks for fitness/health and lifestyle

Cons

You could feel like you don't fit the demographic, growing and changing constantly -- keeps you on your toes, company is currently in transition from being a start-up to being a 'big company'

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent, never be afraid to admit you can improve, encourage personal development, spend time getting to know your team at a more personal level, lead with radical candor

"Chaotic Good"

Current Employee - Sales in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Sales in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong recent acquisitions has empowered the company's platform offering.
    Extremely experienced team members and leadership give confidence.
    Industry leader, with an ever expanding product base enabling larger deal sizes and more opportunities generally.
    Startup-ish culture; there's a trend towards corporate attitudes in the company driven by a desire to be more mainstream. This is crushing the culture a little but to be expected.

Cons

Salaries are far sub-par to any industry competitors, aside from actual startups.
    They ride on being a startup but in reality they are an established company using the word to justify being chaotic, disorganised and poor paying salaries.
    Many employees have to treat Hootsuite as a career stepping stone, knowing that it's salary isn't sustainable over time and so it's a stronger "Resume player" than anything else.

Advice to Management

Improve salaries, streamline management procedures, reduce time managers spend in meetings to dedicate more to their employees development and goals.

"Good for junior devs only"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice people and comfortable, relaxed culture
    - Lots of mentorship available to give and take
    - Standard 8-hour work days, for Software Developers at least
    - Very good place for coops and junior devs to learn the tropes

Cons

Not a good place for intermediate and senior developers.

Don't count on getting a promotion even if you should qualify for it according to their own statements. Your manager will tell you that you still need to work on X, then in a few months you will be moved to a different team in a reorg, the new manager will tell you that you still need to work on Y to get that Senior Developer position, then a few months later another reorg and a new manager, etc. This has been going on for the last 18 months with no end in sight. Meanwhile you're getting glowing "exceeds expectations" performance reviews from those managers and everyone you worked with, but that never translates into anything other than satisfying your ego for a moment.

In late 2016 they started paying for MSP, added another week of vacation to everyone (replaced the Christmas week off, the base is 4 weeks now), and promised small RSU grants that will take forever to vest, which is why I guess their ratings here on Glassdoor suddenly shot up.

But none of that advances my career, so I guess I'll have to advance it elsewhere.

The company is in general seems to be moving towards hiring more coops and juniors. I think the management's general idea is that they have too many seniors. You'd never tell looking at the codebase, because all the seniors are busy mentoring more junior developers instead of writing good code. Then good developers leave, unsatisfied with organizational chaos and lack of career progression. Literally all the people I've worked with when I started have left already. I stayed for so long because I had some hope for career development, and because I was waiting for my permanent residence which was tied to that specific job, another common theme here.