Hootsuite Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Hootsuite CEO Ryan Holmes
Ryan Holmes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "1000 employees in 5 years, which naturally causes some growing pains" (in 15 reviews)

• "Little or no career development for many" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great solutions and growing
    Locations are great.
    Lots of support for developing careers and taking on risks.

Cons

Networks and partners are constantly changing - difficult to keep innovation agenda.

Advice to Management

Focusing on our customers and staying social

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Toronto Office is a great office and is really driving a lot of growth for the company. The work ethic is really strong and the quality of people really understand how to drive big strategic sales. The management is really top notch and approachable.

Cons

Vancouver is really still the heart of the organization and it feels like good work in the Toronto office goes unnoticed. The product is severly lacking the features to be truly enterprise. A lot of the features that pushed Hootsuite to be #1 in the Forester wave were still in development, which caused us to loose a lot of big deals.

Advice to Management

You really need to focus on building a truly enterprise product and need to really need to put the Toronto Office on a pedestal and recognize the talent that is there before you loose them

3. "Digital Strategist"

Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and lifestyle brand

Cons

High Marketing & Sales turnover

4. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working here! Amazing, talented, hard working people and tons of learning/growth opportunities. Also - hootdogs, anyone?!

Cons

Not much from my perspective, really. My experience was overall very positive.

"Back. On. Track. Positive exec departures."

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Team in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Team in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time

Pros

What a difference change makes. In one short month the culture of the entire company has changed for the better. There was lots of great groundwork set during the year that was largely invisible but once you remove certain people it’s amazing what can happen. Whether it’s removing toxic people or replacing good people who have stretched well beyond their experience and capacity with people who are clearly just better for the stage we’re at, in both cases it has been a home run.

Cons

We get in our own way too often with over processed workflows that slow us down. The con list was long before the exec changes in January. Since then and after kickoff it’s like we are a different company for the better. What a difference a change at the top makes!

Advice to Management

The new product leader you hired is amazing and perfect for what the business needs today. We needed someone who has scaled a platform well beyond where we’re at today. The previous leader was well liked but had never scaled a product or company in any meaningful way and this is what the business needs today especially in light of the nature and frequency of api changes. When you promote a person who built a product that never made it to market, that was acquired by Hootsuite and then killed off, how could you think that person could scale a business like Hootsuite? Is there anyone from an acquired company who isn’t a VP even if their company was rinky dinky? If the product leader had been left as a senior leader of product managers, that could have worked. Whether it was ego or politics that got in the way, it’s a shame either way. The grass is not always greener...

My advice is simple. Do in sales what you did in PDT. Hire a VP who comes from SaaS. This means NOT SAP. It’s critical that you bring in a leader who puts customers and people first. Bring in someone who is approachable, authentic and not threatening and you will see something amazing happen. You will never find a more dedicated and talented group of people than you have today. We survived toxicity for 3 years. It. Was. Awful. A lot of good people quit or lost their jobs. Too many.

DO NOT bring in another overly dominant male leader. Please add diversity in thought and experience to the sales leadership team and you can not with any degree of credibility bring in another former SAP executive. That would just be embarrassing and that person, even if they’re good, wouldn’t really stand a chance.

And last, do not hire another remote VP. We have way too many already. If we were a remote company, it wouldn’t matter but we’re not and nobody sees any of them as their department leaders. If this new person is not based in Vancouver or Toronto and actually in the office every day, they will not be successful or embraced by the enterprise team.

"Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You’re surrounded by many passionate, intelligent folks who help you elevate yourself. Solid perks including vacation time and parental leave. A great place to start your career or to springboard into something bigger.

Cons

It’s a kool aid culture, it’s cliquey, it’s political.

If you want to grow you’ll need to befriend (and be championed by) the right people. Insanely political environment, where status and relationships are too often valued above results.

Too many people who consider themselves strategic who are most concerned with stuffing as many buzzwords as possible into a sentence. Obnoxious, exhausting and deflating.

Yes man culture - culturally we claim to want to be challenged, but if you do prepare to be ostracized and viewed as problematic. This place has trouble being honest with itself.

Advice to Management

Build the best, most beautiful, streamlined and user friendly social media management tool. I know it’s easier said than done, but this product has barely changed in 5 years. It’s clunky, cumbersome and consfusing. Do some soul searching and take some risks. You live and die by your product, period.

The management culture is toxic. I know that some of this is being addressed but this place feels like high school in the worst possible way.

I used to love walking into this place every single day and I hate to say that is no longer the case.

"iOS Developer"

I worked at Hootsuite full-time

Pros

Amazing work environment, constantly learning, friendly, joy to work in. Many benefits including foosball!

Cons

Sometimes too relaxed, things would take long to accomplish

"SnootSuite"

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time

Pros

I unfortunately have to limit to the perks of the job rather than its successes, innovation, people or culture.
    1. Free parking (however, if you’re not an exec, you will need to arrive 1 hour before your start time to ensure you get one of the limited spots).
    2. Dog friendly (however, if your supervisor is not dog friendly – or someone sitting in your area/pod isn’t – you will not be allowed to bring in your dog).
    3. Work-from-home (however, if your supervisor wants you around for whatever reason - even if you’re not in face-to-face meetings - this is not an option).
    4. Coffee, tea, fruit and granola.

Cons

1. No formal training for your role – you’re given a laptop and put through a weeks’ worth of departmental presentations which are confusing and mostly have nothing to do with your position – and expected to go. If there is someone in a similar role, they are not going to be supportive or helpful – they will view you as a threat and withhold pertinent information to ensure their job security. In short, you are not setup for success: you are positioned to compete with your fellow coworkers.
    2. (mostly – there are always exceptions) The successful peeps are the ones that don’t require a work/life balance and can stay until late and work the weekends (sending emails to their supervisor during these non-working times to ensure their "grit" is discovered) – and be patted on the back for doing so while you’re needing to leave at the end of your working day to go pick up your kids.
    3. HR aka "People" are void of professional sensitivities and emotional intelligence (at least in the department I was in). If the People Lead in your department doesn’t personally like you, despite your work ethic, drive and successes; your days are numbered. I witnessed and overheard countless conversations/gossip about employees that should’ve been behind closed doors – and with more neutrality and much less emotionalism which one would expect from HR. The overall culture is a high-school, “Mean Girl”, popularity contest – run and fueled by the People Team.

Advice to Management

Outsource and interview all your current, non “people” employees, excluding executives, with HR not being able to access the report/findings (and assurances to employees that the "people team" cannot access individual/confidential interviews) and perhaps then you will have a fulsome, honest consensus and understanding as to why there is a 50% employee turnover.

9. "Good company"

Pros

West coast startup-ish culture and lots of talented employees

Cons

High staff turn over ratio

10. "Fun place, smart people"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Biweekly social
    Flexible work hours
    Free fruit
    Nice office
    Smart people

Cons

High staff turnover
    Internal process hard to navigate