Hootsuite Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryan Holmes

Pros
  • Overall the best work/life balance I've experienced in my career (in 13 reviews)

• Great culture & no ideas are off limits (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Some growing pains, not always clear what procedures are for things (in 10 reviews)

• No review/goal setting/career development leaving employees vulnerable to biased office politics (in 8 reviews)

"The name of the game is hustle!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very strong company culture that is spoken about all the time but until you work here you don't realize how much it affects you day in and day out in the most positive of ways. You actually enjoy your work. From your business decisions to your reviews to how you conduct yourself on internal Facebook it's truly amazing to see how our culture is actively formed, discussed and evolving. You have the ability to speak freely and actually shape the culture. The thing is you have the ability to do whatever you want at Hootsuite. Whether that's do nothing and wait for something to happen to you or whether that's to send a global email to run a program - it's completely up to you. People who can take advantage of that and who can take initiative do well. People who wait for instructions and complain about things that are entirely in their control to change do not do well. We recently had an incident where yes our CEO as you may already have heard sent a prank number to a male reporter. Those who work with him or know him know that it was a genuine mistake with long standing repercussions but what evolved from that internally is honestly quite special and made us all feel even stronger about the fact that we work at an amazing workplace and for an amazing CEO. We are close knit and think the outcome of it internally brought us all closer together as a company. A lot of ownership and heartfelt sentiment internally with a measure to do better moving forward not just in our dialogue but in our actions. We had honest and open discussions and I couldn't be prouder to work with a team that may stumble but constantly strives to be better every single day. It's easy to point fingers from outside or as a new hire but I work with a lot of people who really care, are super honest and radical and speak their minds. It's not a koolaid drinking company any longer. We have a lot of people that are in it to win it and are here to go the distance. Amazing leadership team. Executives are some of the best, most caring and personally involved in their team I've ever seen. They truly care and are invested in their team. When it comes to female diversity it's been great to see C level like Traci Mercer, Kirsty Traill who's brilliant, Penny Wilson who has an amazing mind, Candice Pederson, Dipti EMEA, Elizabeth for community, Leila one of the best CSM's, Crystal and Gillian in APAC, Susan Perry, Ashley Penning, Lara, Karolina, Michelle, Niamh in UK, strong females all across the globe and very tight knit globally. Coffee syncs and coffee chats are a great way to reach out to anyone from C level to someone across the globe. Everyone is very open to meeting you just need to put something in their calendar and you have the opportunity to pick some of the best minds in the business over coffee. #Randomcoffee also very cool way to get to know people in the company and connect with different departments via internal coffee match up system. Read a review complaining about the amount of work. This is a tech company, you get recognized and paid with bonuses or RSU's and promotions if you work hard. If you want a 9-5 where you clock in at 8:59 and clock out at 4:59 this isn't the job for you. My boss has never told me to stay late or expected me to have an email read at 11pm. Working hours are 100% respected but you have your own book of business and your own work to manage. I essentially make my own hours if you work really hard one evening you come in a little late the next morning or you work from home - that's called real life. You get what you have to do done. Great opportunities to work from different offices across the globe as well and save some vacation time if needed.

Cons

Some newcomers have heard of Hootsuite but think its a place where you can just come and drink beer on the roof instead of actually having to work. They often find it hard to adjust the perception they had in their mind and haven't worked long enough with the company to realize we are still growing and expect everything to be done for them rather than them using their own brains or initiative to get things done. They usually don't last long and then leave bitter reviews! Those newbies aside the only con is our HR team that don't focus on internal candidates globally enough. People have been given visas or are looking to stay permanently but HR does not do anything to help facilitate the next step. Employees often waiting till a week before having to move countries before realizing if they get to keep working with the company or not. Employee completely on their own for securing their next position regardless of seniority. Seen it happen to a few friends who had come into Canada on visas but luckily they were able to get PR. HR did not help or help move to different offices where they could have worked.

Advice to Management

Middle management may be focusing too hard on their own careers and next promotion step. Promote your team, promote your staff, in turn you will be promoted. Don't look for your next promotion without having your staff lined up for theirs!

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Analyst in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work culture, work/life balance is healthy, nice offices, friendly and talented people, dog friendly office, great location near shop/restaurants and seawall, transparent management, start-up feel, youthful and energetic, excellent perks for fitness/health and lifestyle

Cons

You could feel like you don't fit the demographic, growing and changing constantly -- keeps you on your toes, company is currently in transition from being a start-up to being a 'big company'

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent, never be afraid to admit you can improve, encourage personal development, spend time getting to know your team at a more personal level, lead with radical candor

"Good for junior devs only"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice people and comfortable, relaxed culture
    - Lots of mentorship available to give and take
    - Standard 8-hour work days, for Software Developers at least
    - Very good place for coops and junior devs to learn the tropes

Cons

Not a good place for intermediate and senior developers.

Don't count on getting a promotion even if you should qualify for it according to their own statements. Your manager will tell you that you still need to work on X, then in a few months you will be moved to a different team in a reorg, the new manager will tell you that you still need to work on Y to get that Senior Developer position, then a few months later another reorg and a new manager, etc. This has been going on for the last 18 months with no end in sight. Meanwhile you're getting glowing "exceeds expectations" performance reviews from those managers and everyone you worked with, but that never translates into anything other than satisfying your ego for a moment.

In late 2016 they started paying for MSP, added another week of vacation to everyone (replaced the Christmas week off, the base is 4 weeks now), and promised small RSU grants that will take forever to vest, which is why I guess their ratings here on Glassdoor suddenly shot up.

But none of that advances my career, so I guess I'll have to advance it elsewhere.

The company is in general seems to be moving towards hiring more coops and juniors. I think the management's general idea is that they have too many seniors. You'd never tell looking at the codebase, because all the seniors are busy mentoring more junior developers instead of writing good code. Then good developers leave, unsatisfied with organizational chaos and lack of career progression. Literally all the people I've worked with when I started have left already. I stayed for so long because I had some hope for career development, and because I was waiting for my permanent residence which was tied to that specific job, another common theme here.

"Reality Vs. Perception is very different"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time

Pros

- People are friendly and welcoming here, and generally speaking there isn't a lot of ego. Most of the ego i've observed has been from the executive team. For the most part, people are just focused on trying to get the work done, and there is a huge amount of work.

- Company is split across 3 buildings within a few blocks, which leads to a slightly silo-ed feel. Sometimes it's nice to get out for a few minutes of air and a walk between the buildings. This makes it difficult to be on time for meetings occasionally.

- Dog friendly office

Cons

- They talk a lot about work/life balance but the reality is that people are still there way past 5pm and I regularly receive emails at 10:30pm at night and over weekends. Leadership are the worst for this. I've also noticed that because the workload is so heavy and they only give 5 sick days a year, people often come into the office sick and spread it around.

- Like most tech companies, things move at warp speed. However, they're so focused on speed that basic yet important stuff gets forgotten about or dropped e.g. new employee onboarding leaves a lot to be desired and really does not set new people up for success. I've heard a number of new staff say they are left to figure things out for themselves (which isn't an efficient use of time or resources). They also need to learn how to work smarter. It's a regular complaint that there are too many meetings and the meeting-heavy company culture is impacting productivity.

- I had to negotiate hard on salary as they tried to lowball. They also stressed about the free yoga classes and gym as part of the compensation package. i work 8 hours solid, often with no lunch and so don't get to avail of these 'perks'.

- I applied for, interviewed and joined because of a role that was mutually agreed upon. The reality has turned out to be different. I was in the job for a few weeks before they started "moving the goalposts" and adding additional heavy workload that did not fall under what was agreed on (effectively increasing my workload to that of 2 people). Others in my field have echoed similar experiences.

- I was very clear in my interview that i work well with all types of people except micromanagers and people who are disrespectful/unsupportive of their staff. Despite telling them this, I'm now working with a micromanager who is cold, unsupportive, plays favorites, and whose direct reports are fearful of their wrath.

- Very disorganized, very few processes and policies in place which makes things chaotic and means folks do things differently (often resulting in budget spend that is not necessary). There's a lot of the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

- Like many tech orgs, employee turn over is high. A number of my team have left recently to work elsewhere. I won't be too far behind them. My observations lead me to believe that folks stay here for a while, learn what they can, start to burn out from the workload for not enough pay and move onto better paying roles elsewhere.

- CEO recently tweeted/responded to an interview request by asking the reporter to call 1-800-EAT-DICK. I was horrified to see the head of a social media/marketing organization lose his cool on a public forum without zero regard as to how his stupid, homophobic and sexists actions might have affected the reputation of the organization or the livelihoods of his staff.

Advice to Management

Clean up the Executive Leadership Team (some toxic people there). Listen to staff at all levels and start to action/factor in their feedback. Ensure the foundational stuff is done right before charging ahead full speed. Stop the incessant meetings.

"Great for your early career"

I worked at Hootsuite full-time

Pros

It's a young company with a funky work space and active non work related activities to promote health, team bonding etc. Depending on your manager's style there's flexibility to work remotely. Fun work environment that pick up and run with the latest social media trends.

Cons

Little room for diversity although the company made improvements. Work culture is catered to extroverts in their twenties that are in it for the free booze and casual work environment. Not much room for personal development or salary increase. Weak organizational leadership.

"Not a startup, but not a bad company"

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time

Pros

Lots of smart, engaged people. Great benefits, dogs, nice offices, lots of opportunity for personal/career growth. High levels of autonomy.

Cons

There can be some ugly sense of entitlement in parts of the company. Marketed itself a startup, but is more of a corporation with a startup feel. Some drama between departments. Sometimes trying to keep culture makes the company look unprofessional. Management is great, but CEO could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep cultivating your teams and their growth.
    Ryan: spend some actual time with the people on the lower levels of your company: they make the wheels turn. Stop compromising the brand everyone's worked so hard to build by going rogue on social.

8. "Easygoing culture with some good opportunities"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, laid-back and social work environment, but mostly respectful of developers' need for focus. Compassionate and reasonable people in leadership/management, at least in the technical part of the organization.

Good work-life balance, very few people choose to work long hours or weekends. Great insurance and decent benefits; gym, yoga, and massage all offered on-site. There is a well-equipped music rehearsal room, which is an awesome perk that I've never seen before. Weekly social with open taps for beer, wine, and cider. Cool facilities with lots of space.

Opportunities for growth and learning if you look for them. Rate of growth is crazy and performance can be rewarded with pretty fast promotion. Enthusiasm for integrating new ideas and technology seems strong. Technical employees get high-end laptops and the company doesn't seem to be stingy when it comes to training and professional development. Some good in-house knowledge sharing as well.

Decision-making process is decentralized, so teams have a LOT of autonomy in setting their direction; you rarely feel like you're following orders. Trust is high; not a lot of bureaucracy around things like equipment or facilities.

Cons

Immature and inefficient technical processes. Some systems are brittle and tightly-coupled, causing frustrations in day-to-day work; ownership of systems is in some cases uncertain and no one wants to take responsibility for improving or decoupling them. Overall productivity does not seem especially high. Quality of extant code, processes, documentation, and development tools is inconsistent, although new projects seem to be adopting better practices. Lack of standardization around e.g. internal APIs. Ops is probably understaffed, or just insufficiently automated.

Technical employees are a minority, although it's still a lot of people. Dev has a good culture but is pretty segregated from the rest of the company (largely sales). The messaging from up top sometimes feels kind of sales-heavy ("rah rah let's crush those targets" and the devs all roll their eyes).

The decentralized structure, as well as fast pace of growth and change, means you need to interact with a lot of different people in day-to-day work, which can be plus; but if you're not socially outgoing, it could be really difficult to solve problems. You often have to initiate contact with a few different people to get anything done. There is not a lot of structure or hand-holding around onboarding either, get used to asking lots of questions or you will waste a lot of time reinventing things.

Advice to Management

Foster a company-wide culture of addressing technical debt and implementing better processes, before productivity grinds to a halt and we lose our organizational agility.

Keep up the great work on making the workplace fun and vibrant, hang on to the startup spirit :)

"Their people focused culture is all talk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Hootsuite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is great and you can work with some really smart people

Cons

The HR team disclose confidential discussions on a frequent basis and can be very underhand and unprofessional with exiting people without sound cause. There is a huge turnaround in staff, including management and c-level employees
    Management and c-level often make very emotional decisions and are not supportive when it comes to professional growth.
    They claim to be focused on people culture but there is little work-life balance - you may be able to work from home, but you are expected to always be working. It's dressed up as something Ryan likes to call 'grit'.
    About 60% of the people I worked with when I joined last year have been exited or moved on.
    The management and c-level team are very arrogant.

Advice to Management

Support your team better - lose your egos

"Chaotic Good"

Current Employee - Sales in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Sales in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hootsuite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong recent acquisitions has empowered the company's platform offering.
    Extremely experienced team members and leadership give confidence.
    Industry leader, with an ever expanding product base enabling larger deal sizes and more opportunities generally.
    Startup-ish culture; there's a trend towards corporate attitudes in the company driven by a desire to be more mainstream. This is crushing the culture a little but to be expected.

Cons

Salaries are far sub-par to any industry competitors, aside from actual startups.
    They ride on being a startup but in reality they are an established company using the word to justify being chaotic, disorganised and poor paying salaries.
    Many employees have to treat Hootsuite as a career stepping stone, knowing that it's salary isn't sustainable over time and so it's a stronger "Resume player" than anything else.

Advice to Management

Improve salaries, streamline management procedures, reduce time managers spend in meetings to dedicate more to their employees development and goals.

11. "The Best of Both Worlds"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

Pros

Hootsuite has a vibrant startup culture while at the same time having most of the benefits of a big established company. 4 weeks holidays to start, equity in the company, great health benefits including MSP.

Cons

Can't really think of any right now

Advice to Management

Keep being open and transparent and sharing our big wins.