HomeServe UK Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.4
HomeServe UK CEO Martin Bennett
Martin Bennett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are too many pros to list - its just generally a great place to work" (in 63 reviews)

• "it's a place where anyone with a mind to can make a difference" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons for me I love everything about homeserve" (in 25 reviews)

• "The low actions of the senior management are filtering down to all areas making the IT department bad" (in 17 reviews)

"Team Manager Preston- General Feedback"

Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Homeserve is a nice company, and focus on what is right for the customer.
    Sometimes though it looses sight of the individuals who it employs. As a team manager of four years I hold myself and my team to account and really focus on developing each person in a bespoke way.
    Unfortunately I have felt let down in the past and felt like a number.
    I didn’t realise how frustrated I have felt until a new Ops manager talked to me, and asked me about me and how I was feeling, and about issues I had and how she could help. It felt good, so changes like this are really motivating.

There are lots of ways in which Homeserve try to engage its people like games, silly dressing up and lots of fun. These things are great but what has been missing until now is the human touch to leadership, which seems to be starting and if we can lead this way it will trickle down to the front line.

Cons

I feel like Homeserve is far from broken, but can sometimes suffer bruises ( I nicked this quote off the new Ops Manager)
    And I agree there are lots of small changes that would make a huge difference.
    I think as a team of managers we need to find ways of working together and consistently as one team.

But ultimately we care about our people and our customers and with recent new additions, like Vicky, I can already see improvements.

We also need to plan and keep momentum of engagement activities during the winter, rather than doing our usual cancelling everything and all hands to the pumps!

Advice to Management

Homeserve is a company that has grown very quickly in relative terms. However it’s policies and process are designed for a small enterprise.

Now in its ever increasing population and turnover, it’s processes need to catch up and be slicker to ensure its assets ie it’s people do not fall through the cracks and become victims of the companies underlying principles not being good enough for what is becoming a large enterprise.

I would also say that the new Manager is vastly different to what we have had and is already building some of the trust Managers and advisers so desperately need.
    We need more senior managers like this, to oversee and glue the operation back together.
    Sitting down and having an honest, open and genuine chat really goes a long way.

The other managers always seem to busy, so perhaps they could have a bit of human time with teams too?

"Team Managers drag the place down"

Current Employee - Adviser in Preston, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Adviser in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really good people, really good senior managers but terrible team managers.
    Seen lots of good changes and very recently a brilliant 4th addition to the senior team in Preston

Cons

Team managers make you feel guilty for wanting to do well and be positive. Mine is like a dementor from Harry Potter.
    So demotivating and feel like you are penalised for going against their negative attitude to work and changes.

Advice to Management

Need new managers or they need a hard kick up the whatsit to change their attitudes m.

HomeServe UK Response

8 Jun, 2018 – Director of Quality

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and I’m glad to read you’re on board with the positive changes happening at Preston.

As part of these changes, we’re committed to continue... More

"Lots of refreshing new changes"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Preston, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We work hard but we also play hard as advisors. In Preston lots of change, which is good for keeping you active.
    We have just had a new senior manager, who has actually bothered to spent time talking to staff, getting to know us and genuinely lets us know about her.
    And has already acted in feedback I gave. Things are really in the up and up.

We get to speak to other senior managers occasionally from the CEO to Directors,

Homeserve is about its people and customers and is a nice environment to work in. I fully support anyone and recommend this is a good place to work.
    If you can get on the right team, you will go far in claims!

Cons

Just try to deliver on promises and more consistency across how teams work.

Advice to Management

Have one vision and one set of delivery methods so all teams get the same development and the same level of feedback and opportunity.

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Coach in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started my Homeserve career in November 2015 with no office background, i had detailed training over 3 weeks and then support off the coaching team for a further 4 weeks, this gave me the confidence i needed to support the customers of Homeserve comfortably.

Throughout my frst year i was given the opportunity to spend time with different parts of the business and gain more knowledge along the way and in turn was used to assist different areas when it was needed.

In November 2016 i applied to be a Customer Service Coach and was given a position on the Coaching team, since then i have developed my coaching skills and progressed from foundation Coach to Established Coach, this includes working across site at different parts of the business which keeps the job challenging but also rewarding.

I am currently enrolled on a internal course called 2020 Leadership Program, this gives me the knowledge and the skills to progress towards my next goal, this was put to me by my manager and he has supported my journey since i was enrolled, i look forwards to completing the programme and implementing what i have learnt.

Throughout my Homeserve Career i have had all the support i have needed without having to ask for it, i am grateful for the opportunities i have had within the company and i look forward to many years ahead of me with hopefully more progression.

Cons

The only thing i think we could improve on is engagement when the call volumes are high, keeping staff motivated is key in a office environment, we have made changes and we are improving, but i still think we can improve further.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, it is clear which direction we are going and keep the engagement up

5. "Head of Products"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Focus on the Customer & People, great culture and genuine opportunities for personal development

Cons

Not for the faint hearted, need a massive can do attitude in a fast environment

Advice to Management

Keep it going

"Treated poorly"

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people around me trying to make a difference with the truth.

Cons

Directors who think this is a game and not peoples lives, and Customers are numbers to get. Don't be surprised when there are more suicides, on top of the one you have had.
    Emperors new clothes and you're in the honey, tell the truth and you are scummie.

Advice to Management

This whole process on trust pay, fair pay, equitable pay, may be conceptually sound, it is being applied with vigour to marginalise people to leave, making it a 'faces fits' nasty culture. Culture is not good here anymore, it was great and now really bitter and twisted. Have a protected conversation with people you don't like or want, 'fess up' you want them out. Using a good idea to penalise people who you know are doing a job, but not in the micromanagement way you want them to.
    Just ask them nicely to leave. Fair pay, what you are really saying is that 24% of our People are not wanted or may have earnt those extra holidays and allowances but now they can't have them. Now you need to downsize and aint got the nerve to do it properly.
    Sly, evil and totally expected from the middle -everyone directly below the CEO, COO, CMO - your staff are not treating people well or with any respect. With the winners and losers in this, everyone points at the people who are brown nosing and telling what the directors want and not the truth +24%, the ones that keep their heads down 52% and the ones that tell the truth -24% .
    It is a horrible place to be.

HomeServe UK Response

20 Jun, 2018 – Brand Director

We normally begin our responses with a thank you. I'm not going to do that in this case because it is such an ill-informed, distasteful and frankly loathsome collection of words not worthy of a... More

"Team Manager"

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good Entry into customer Service
    - Development Opportunities
    - A business which relies on developing talent from within
    - Open door policy with senior leadership team
    - Feedback and suggestions for improvement are taken on board

Cons

- Fast Paced at times (seasonal)

Advice to Management

Keep the open door policy, keep taking on board feedback, no one knows better than the front line what works and what doesn't

8. "Service Watch Administrator"

Current Employee - Service Watch Administrator in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Homeserve really invest in their people. They look for those with aspirations and potential and do everything they can to help them progress, such as training and leadership courses. They take time out to invest in their people so they can get to where the want to be with their careers.

Cons

Within the department I work the hours we work do not correctly reflect the workflow we have.

9. "Team Manager"

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Fantastic opportunities for front line staff to progress.
    - A caring and helpful atmosphere
    -A win together trust each other environment throughout the the contact center
    -Utilising the expertise of established front line staff to up skill across other sites in the UK

Cons

-Dress code should be relaxed for weekends

10. "A Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Coach/Seconded Team Manager in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Caring, Encouraging , and Fabulous Place

Cons

None happy to work at Homeserve

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great Work