Hiscox "underwriters" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Hiscox Employee Reviews about "underwriters"

Updated Feb 22, 2018

4.2
Hiscox CEO Bronislaw Edmund Masojada
Bronislaw Edmund Masojada
Pros
  • "The work life balance is perfect as well(in 41 reviews)

• "The work environment and employees engagement are always on the top list as also as our growth(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "there are no cons for me right now, others may have a different view(in 7 reviews)

• "They train really good underwriters but struggle retaining them(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "underwriters"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company, great people"

Former Employee - Underwriter

I worked at Hiscox full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at Hiscox are great. The company is growing really fast and there is ample opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Lots of turnover (people leaving for other opportunities, not being fired). They train really good underwriters but struggle retaining them

Advice to Management

Compensate a little better to increase chances of retaining your best employees

Hiscox2018-02-22

"Not all it’s cracked up to be"

Former Employee - Insurance Expert in York, England

I worked at Hiscox full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice offices, some great people too, not difficult at all maybe even too relaxed at times. Has some nice food in the canteen and some nice artwork around the building.

Cons

Too many grey areas on call marking, e.g your encouraged to think like an underwriter and when you do your marked down if your auditor doesn’t agree personally with your referral. The company is a little bit snobbish too, has values but from my experience doesn’t always follow through with them. With my academy manager it felt like a popularity contest more than an ability based academy, during my time I failed a call and there was a grey area but it wasn’t acknowledged but others in my academy failed the calls but were marked as successful in passing after being asked “what would you do differently next time?” Seemingly based on likability rather than ability. Really poor computer system that doesn’t work properly a lot of the time. Was told by a TM the underwriting guide was not up to date but told from early we must follow this. Underwriters are overworked and not always easily accessible.

Advice to Management

Get your computer system in order as soon as possible, don’t have periods of change freeze when there are issues that need sorting out and also you have a couple of really good team managers and one in particular who won’t give you the benefit of the doubt unless you’re one of those who seeks to be popular.

Hiscox2018-02-13

"Best company I have *ever* worked for"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company really cares about its staff - bonuses are good, as are benefits. Pension contribution @ 10% is good. People who travel for work can stay in decent hotels, not required to use Travelodges. Underwriters who entertain get to drink and eat out at some fantastic places! Development is very much down to individuals. Lots of options available, but you have to drive it for yourself - come up with idea (loads of them to consider on intranet), network with senior people, get yourself noticed. Work hard, play hard culture. I have never worked in such an open and friendly culture, where you can ask anyone for a coffee to pick their brains and they will say "yes". Company is growing, both in UK and Internationally - lot of opportunities for the ambitious.

Cons

The company does have some challenges with resourcing underwriters in broker channel - unfortunately, our high quality staff tend to get promoted or poached, and it then takes time to recruit and train replacements. This does cause additional pressure on existing staff - managers do their utmost to try to relieve this. And they do care.

Advice to Management

Given we know people will always leave, change the culture and start to recruit ahead of the curve - there will always be a vacancy to fill.

Hiscox2017-06-21

"Great Coworker Environment, Too Much Turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hiscox full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthy environment, lots of health and fitness activities, 25 days of PTO was great, shift work hours, great benefits for insurance, most departments are really nice

Cons

Senior Underwriters were very needy and dependent on others (including Admin Staff), Admin staff seemed overworked and did unnecessary work such as cleaning up after people several times a day, Higher management wanted to listen but didn't have any action

Advice to Management

Actually follow through with promises, if you say you're going to fix something, keep those who are concerned updated on the status

Hiscox2017-05-24

"Good company for the most part, but..."

Current Employee - Underwriter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hiscox full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial company, young workforce, great opportunities out of college, solid benefits, semi-responsive management. Work can be challenging.

Cons

Pay is lagging behind the competition, and it shows through the turnover. It seems Underwriters are constantly leaving for other opportunities. Projects undertaken by management can often seem disorganized and forced. Management is not always transparent with decisions and direction.

Advice to Management

Work on employee retention, especially with such a young workforce. Pay increases seem to target management over the actual Underwriters, which decreases morale- focus on this!

Hiscox2014-11-19

"Excellent company where the values really matter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than a year

Pros

In short, the people. You will work with intelligent, driven but empathetic colleagues. You will learn a tremendous amount in culture that absolutely reflects the values of the company. I've never worked in a company where the values are so ingrained in the people. The working environment and benefits are also excellent.

Cons

There is a bias towards underwriting and underwriters which I guess is natural given the business.

Advice to Management

One woman on the senior management team isn't enough.

Hiscox2014-02-13

"If you're not an Underwriter, Hiscox is not a good place to work."

Operations Technician in London, England

I worked at Hiscox

Pros

Generous Wine Hamper at Christmas Beautiful office building, with some interesting art around the place Some of the corporate parties are pretty good

Cons

Employees are not judged on their merits You need to be the right 'type of person' to progress at Hiscox Some Senior Underwriters have colossal egos and can be very easily upset by the presence of others less perfect than themselves Career progression is not clear and many people are recruited without proper consideration of able internal candidates

Advice to Management

Don't oversell the jobs. Listen to your employees, don't be so underwriter-focussed. We know they bring in the top line, but other business areas are important too. Don't perpetuate the 'JFDI' attitude.

Hiscox2011-11-04