Hertz "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Hertz Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 16, 2019

2.8
Hertz President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello
Kathryn V. Marinello
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours when understaffed at locations(in 590 reviews)

• "upper management need pay more attention on local situation(in 377 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"It's okay, but..."

Customer Service Representative in Halifax, NS

I worked at Hertz for more than a year

Pros

- If you are a good seller in ungrades and insurance packages you can make a lot of money. - Contests every month to win prizes, like free car rentals, extra days off, points (earn enough to redeem something from a website)...etc.

Cons

- It's all about numbers. If you are doing good, they (upper management) don't acknowledge it or praise you for it. But, if your numbers are bad (below the target goal for the month) you hear about it every single day until your number is back up to target/goal. If your number doesn't go back up to goal, they threaten to fire you. A lot of pressure and a very stressful environment working there. - The new female... manager has a very snobby attitude towards her female employees. She doesn't seem to want to help her employees when there is a disgruntled customer. She also doesn't seem to be available when you try and get in contact with her. When you do get in contact with her, she tells the employees to call another manager for help instead of her. - Very competitive work environment between employees, causing tension/friction in the workplace. - Shifts are long (9-12hrs days), very early mornings (6:30am) and late nights - as late as 2:00am if the customer's flight is delayed.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge good work, not just by monthly contests, but saying it to the employee directly or posting it on a bulletin board or even emailing it to them if you can't tell it to them directly.

Hertz2016-05-10

"Great Entrepreneurial Experience but at what cost?"

Current Employee - Location Manager

I have been working at Hertz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for Hertz have given me immense growth personally. The Car rental industry is not for the faint of heart. I learned (and still is) so much about myself and what I want out of a company. Hertz has a long way to go in terms of employee satisfaction. As much as the position entails working long hours, the people you work with are with good hearts. They truly want the company succeed. I wouldn't still... be in the position I have if it were not for the staff I work with. Their dedication for the job to get done makes me work harder so that they feel that they are appreciated. They are my motivation. The car benefit is great. However, be wary, it is a taxable benefit and therefore not really a benefit at the end. It is just a convenience. The bonuses basically is for making up for the tax associated with the car benefit. Your work day is not the same every day. The challenges are similar but everyday is new day. Work is interesting.

Cons

The culture of Hertz is very US-centric. Working in Canada, where business culture is very different (even though many people assume they are the same), there seem to be a lot of red tape surrounding policy changes, proposals, or any other changes you want to make to create an effective and efficient operation. The realities of each city in Canada vary yet the whole country is regarded as one region. It is... frustrating for Location Managers and Area Managers to constantly reason with Upper Management on why we need actions to be done in terms of controlling reservations or why we need specific fleet mix. Compensation seem to be a hot topic within the organization. Since HR is not localized, many policies are generalized and does not reflect the location's realities (economic growth, labour market, standard of living, etc.). Locations that are unionized are vastly different from non-unionized locations. However, they are treated the same in terms of salary expectations. In a place like Calgary, where jobs are in abundance and competition for workers is high, management is expected to recruit talent with limited bargaining power. We constantly lose great candidates once they hear the wage for a position such as a Vehicle Service Attendant. Every two years, hourly wages are looked at however, I still think that it is not up to par according to industry standards. You want to attract great talent then compensation must be looked at locally rather than as generic as possible. As a Location Manager, you rarely get a 40+ hours work week. I average about 60 hours a week now. However when I first started, I was working 7 days a week, many days back to back. I lost many of my sick days and vacation days that I was entitled to due to not having proper coverage for my department on the first year. There is no such thing as banking days off. It is the nature of the industry, a nature for which isn't very healthy. Work/personal life balance is out of the window once you take on a management role within Hertz. Training is on the job. Many of the skills gained would be mostly soft skills as the technical skills are Hertz focused. The software used at work are not necessarily transferable to other positions. Who still uses Lotus Notes for communication? Hertz does. There is a lot of information to process within the first few months of being a Location Manager. With no formal training, you pick up habits that may not necessarily be ethical but it works for the situation given and that is how it gets done. Development is done using online courses. Having centralized departments just makes the processes really redundant and long. HR, IT and accounting are all in different parts of the country so solving issues can take long. A simple password change or an equipment break down would take days, weeks, even months to get rectified. I waited for a month to get access to systems I need to do my job, even then I had to teach myself (my manager would help but when he himself was not familiar with the system, I just felt like the blind leading the blind) on these said systems.

Hertz2014-09-08

"Good work, bad management"

Current Employee - Tripper/Driver in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Hertz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy, straight forward work, delivering cars between rental locations. Starts part-time, possible full-time after probation. Starts at minimum wage with periodical increases as per union contract. Working with many different characters of people. Variety of shifts.

Cons

Disorganized management. No training provided on procedures - had to learn from co-workers. Safety is ignored on many levels. Upper management doesn't care about it's employees, neither do they listen to suggestions for improvement.

Advice to Management

Listen to your drivers that have suggestions on how to improve the distribution flow. Improve employee safety - especially in winter months.

Hertz2014-06-04

"Depends on upper management"

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Hertz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Team if you successfully create a team.

Cons

high turn over rate. Upper management micro management. Not enough support

Advice to Management

Better staffing and support

Hertz2019-11-16

"My Experience"

Former Employee - Work At Home Agent in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Hertz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home is the only real attraction. Maybe a good fit for a stay at home spouse who would like to earn some money, but not as a main house hold income.

Cons

Upper Management is far too disconnected from the actual employee who handles customers. No continuity in procedures (probably because there are WAY TOO MANY procedures, just to get a shift, you have to bid on 30 something different shifts every 3 months). Hard to plan vacations (must get submit in advance for approval), you can't make advance reservations because you don't know what shift you'll get. From the... initial, in-person interview, I was told something different to what the actual procedure was and it directly affected my decision to accept the position and of course my earnings. Still, I worked there for 3 years and then I was laid off one morning thru a phone call, with out any warning or any option, they eliminated the position and me along with it.

Advice to Management

Go back to basics, stop over-complicating things. Maybe, instead of people trying to justify their ridiculous salaries (e.g. $8million/yr to one single individual), by re-organizing and re-structuring, and creating drama, cut their ridiculous salaries by 75%, take that money and pay a better wage to get higher quality employees and go back to the good old morning , swing and grave yard shifts, so employees can ... plan a life.

Hertz2019-10-21

"Gaslighting and other delights"

Former Employee - Back Office Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Hertz full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed 2/3 of my coworkers. Working for Hertz, I had 3 different positions, but they all came with (see cons section, rest of review).

Cons

Abusive upper management, "benefits" that were completely unaffordable, low pay and bad hours based on seniority (which sounds like a good thing but just because you put up with the abuse for a long time doesn't mean they ever stop screwing you at every opportunity. I was pretty unhappy with the setup of my position because it was carrot and stick, but mostly stick. The managers of the department would dangle 2... work at home days to make you behave, like they didn't have the upper hand all along. There's no reason that job (or really most jobs that aren't in person face to face customer service) can't be done at home. If someone isn't performing, fire them. God knows they're not shy about firing people under any/every other circumstance.

Advice to Management

If you're going to have non commission positons, pay those people a living wage. Nobody should have to hope to be offered 10-15 hours of overtime in order to make ends meet. Also, time off to go to the doctor shouldn't be a big deal when you require your employees to work when the doctor is open. Lastly, stop promoting people who only know how to talk as if they're chastisting their naughty child. I'm a 35 year... old man I have no interest in going to work and being chided like a toddler that left the milk out after breakfast. Lastly: The HR business partner's job shouldn't be to lie to the employees. I caught mine in a pretty serious lie regarding a leave of absense request, where he blamed the insurance company for denying it and when the notice from them finally came it stated plainly that the managers decided not to accomodate me. Shame on him!

Hertz2019-11-04

"Over worked and underpaid"

Current Employee - Airport Manager

I have been working at Hertz full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met some amazing people and I love to excel at customer service.

Cons

Extremely overworked. Stressed. Always in fear of loosing my job. Favoritism. Low employee morale. Underpaid. Clicks exist. No upper management support. Inadequate training for staff. Poor communication.

Hertz2019-11-03

"perpetual understaffing/no support from upper management"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Olathe, KS

I worked at Hertz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

potential for promotion is high if you keep your sales goals up

Cons

understaffing; no control over hiring as a manager which is extremely frustrating. upper management does not seem to care about the day to day stress managers are constantly put under. base salary is not nearly enough to cover the stress managers are put under and bonuses are limited and very hard to achieve.

Advice to Management

listen to employees when they tell you there are issues in the branch instead of following the corporate line of "control what you can"

Hertz2019-09-30

"A job for the young and/or complacent"

Former Employee - Gold Choice Exit Gate (Lead) in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hertz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Union, most customers made the job pleasant and a few coworkers who actually worked and came to work.

Cons

Schedule, Immature management and staff, lack of coverage and lack of respect for employees by upper management.

Hertz2019-09-27
  10. "Good Place"

Former Employee - Site Manager

I worked at Hertz full-time

Pros

Depending on what location you work at you can have great coworkers. In this business you are constantly moving so it is very hard to get bored.

Cons

Upper management has been known overlook important issues and tends to harp on small issues.

Hertz2019-09-01