Heritage Education Funds Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Heritage Education Funds Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"At Heritage, I feel a empowered and appreciated..."

I have been working at Heritage Education Funds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I would recommend the company to anyone, from a young graduate seeking to get into a financial industry to an established professional or executive with a lot of experience. It is a great company that let's you grow professionally, I mean, they get you involved with really cool and interesting projects, you get to acquire new skills that you can put on your resume, they even pay for your education.. of course if it is consistent with the goals of the department you are in.
    Heritage promotes often, they value their employees and let them move forward. I have seen people spending 7-8 years there and it feels like they have changed 2-3 careers without moving out of the company! That's cool considering you get to grow professionally without a hassle of looking for a new job!
    Management is really good - from the business owners to front line managers - you can tell they care and it transpires onto the teams as well. And a big bonus - Heritage is actually doing something very good for Canadians and for the future of Canadian kids! Lots of employees are so attached to the company because they believe in the product and service we give to our customers - we help parents save for their kids future post-secondary education! I wish someone had done it for me when I was a kid. So yeah, come and join Heritage, you won't regret! And when you do, knock on the 5th door from reception, because I will still be there and will be happy to say hi to you!

Cons

Cannot think of any cons to mention here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job you are doing! We believe in you!!

"Overall, a very strong company with a great corporate culture"

Current Employee - Communications
    Current Employee - Communications

I have been working at Heritage Education Funds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Enthusiastic, motivated staff with a genuine love of the product
    - Management and executive leadership encourage creativity and the sharing of ideas
    - Everyone has a voice in how the company operates (top level management actually listens)
    - Plenty of opportunities for advancement (the company likes to promote from within)
    - Constantly evolving business practices to take advantages of emerging technologies (e.g. new social media platforms)
    - Highly competitive compensation and benefits packages
    - Field that changes from year to year, with an increasingly strong demand for our product (as tuition fees increase)
    - Dynamite social committee that plans exciting events all year 'round, really making you feel valued

Cons

- The industry itself is tightly regulated and constantly under media scrutiny
    - Head office is in North York, which could be a good or bad thing (your mileage may vary)

"Very reasonable organization with a heart for treating their employees"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Heritage Education Funds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a good executive management team that is very easy to work with, reasonable and go out of their way to help out their teams. Plus, their social committee is a HUGE bonus!

Cons

Sometimes the lack of resources to adapt to the growing needs could be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Allocate the appropriate resources to support the growing need - have a BIG dream, but an even BIGGER strategy.

4. "A Company That Does Not Have Direction or Empathy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Heritage Education Funds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fellow employees are great to work with.
    Senior management are rarely available to bother you or listen to you
    Close to transit. No need to use your car

Cons

Lack of Direction
    Lack of communication with management
    Not sure what products are we selling (RESP?, Mortgages? Mutual Funds? Insurance?)
    Pay grade is slightly above average, but struggle to get next pay raise.
    Too many complaints from customers and not enough resources to deal with the overwhelming complaints

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots.
    What happened to senior management?
    You no longer care about your staff or what value they bring to your company.
    Ever since senior management bought the company, management have been pompous about their positions.
    They were just lucky to be in the right place at the right time to purchase the company.
    Being owners of the company does not make senior management necessary experts at their current titles.

"Great company to grow with!"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in North York, ON
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in North York, ON

I worked at Heritage Education Funds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow with time, effort and commitment. Throughout my experience I worked in Customer service, Agency Service and was also promoted within Agency Services. Although I decided to pursue my career in Marketing elsewhere, I had lots of support from my management and senior leader.

Cons

Lack of HR support. Because the business is ran by the 3 owners, I find that sometimes it hard for them to make decisions which takes longer to get things done.

Advice to Management

Provide more backing to your senior leaders so that they can make sound decisions. Leadership training for our management team would be beneficial for the company growth.

6. "Boring Company that pays alright"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Heritage Education Funds part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

team is good
    work life balance is good as well
    the pay is decent

Cons

work is very routine
    not much opportunity for improvement

"Great company, thought mentoring leadership with an excellent overall office ambiance - very little politics!"

Current Employee - Dealing Representative in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Dealing Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Heritage Education Funds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Grass roots oriented.
    Very entrepreneurial/start-up like business setting as first glance.

Cons

Could have better support for sales field.
    Growing too fast - short staffed.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to support the rapid growing business needs!
    Involve the field representatives in more projects that effect them, for their feedback.

"It is a good choice."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Heritage Education Funds part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have flexible time ,
    you can help your clients' children to achieve their university dreams. They can get better return compare to other RESP plans.

Cons

Sometimes they make mistakes when they sent email to us, I prefer to say noting bad to my company. I am satisfied about the company.

9. "Heritage Education Funds offers a solid product however takes time to get going."

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Heritage Education Funds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of the job is that you can have the freedom to work the job when you want. It can be rewarded once you have a clientel base underneath you. Great as a part time position, but difficult if pursuing full time employment. Can pay very well if you work hard at it.

Cons

Heritage is a commision based position in which what you put into it is what you get out of it. The first years are difficult because you must prospect your own leads, market your own product, and follow up with clients. It is the all in one sales position. Diffucult to develop in the first 3 years, smooths out out once you have a clientel.

Advice to Management

Invest more into your salesforce to ensure that you're people stick around. It is difficult when you feel you are working by yourself and only hear from the head office a couple of times per year. Training needs to be standardized and a true leaders are needed to motivate and encourage your salesforce to work hard for the company. The bottom line is not everything.

10. "Great for young professionals or retiring professionals but not in between professionals"

I worked at Heritage Education Funds full-time

Pros

-good starting company
    -very relaxed environment
    -super friendly people
    -pretty easy going

Cons

-pay is quite low due to being a non-profit organization
    -contract based initial employment

Advice to Management

-increase pay to compete with competitors
    -increase bonuses