Heartland Dental "dentist" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Heartland Dental Employee Reviews about "dentist"

Updated Nov 27, 2019

3.7
Heartland Dental President & Chief Executive Officer Pat Bauer
Pat Bauer
Pros
Cons
  • "Free dental services for you and your dependents is limited to what YOUR dentist can do(in 43 reviews)

• "Alot of spiteful people in upper management(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "dentist"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company but could improve"

Current Employee - EFDA in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Heartland Dental full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is decent, opportunities are good, benefits are decent, ability to move between offices, bonuses.

Cons

NO PAID MATERNITY LEAVE. This really doesn't support the work/life balance that we are so often reminded of. Pay is good but not good enough for you to take your full maternity leave peacefully, you will be stressed out the whole time, worried about bills AND they force you to take your paid vacation during that time. You cannot stack vacation time. Free dental services for you and your dependents is limited to what YOUR dentist can do. Raises are soooo small.

Advice to Management

Paid maternity leave. We deserve it, we work hard.

Heartland Dental2019-10-22

"Just say No"

Former Employee - Practice Manager

I worked at Heartland Dental full-time for less than a year

Pros

Your boss will not micromanage.... or even manage

Cons

Literally everything. Horrible benefits, rude physicians, incapable management team, not a team-friendly environment, lack of organization, no appreciation or value given to employees, basically do what the dentist wants - even if it's insurance fraud - and be quiet

Advice to Management

nepotism isn't cool or legal so there's that

Heartland Dental2019-11-27

"Garbage company"

Former Employee - Rdh in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Heartland Dental full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay and benefits with an 8-5 Mon-Thursday work schedule

Cons

Treat patients like ATMs and dentists are crocks of crap

Advice to Management

Patient care should be #1 priority.

Heartland Dental2019-11-12

"Slow to Adapt to Change"

Former Employee - Regional Manager of Operations in Columbia, SC

I worked at Heartland Dental full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If I were a dentist interested in working hard, learning, and growing my skills, I wouldn't hesitate to work for Heartland. You'll be in a fail-safe environment with administrators that will work tirelessly to get you the resources you need. If you value personal responsibility and make no excuses for your outcomes, you'll do well and enjoy the network of thousands of dentists.

Cons

Patient care is literally equated in dollars, so it can feel a bit dirty. If your practice isn't producing, you will feel pressure. Not necessarily unreasonable, if your practice is in financial distress. That said, the main con here is if you're an administrator. Because you can't go out there and do more dentistry, you have to influence your dentist to produce more. But even if your practice was wedged between a trash dump and a junk yard, you can count on getting raked over the coals if your practice isn't growing the way it "should."

Advice to Management

Go on a cross country road trip, talk to your doctors, talk to your team members. Listen to what they have to say. Go out there, mingle with the people. Don't rely on "waterfalling" information from your office. Also -- don't be so insecure -- meaning, if someone suggests an improvement, that doesn't mean you are personally bad and unworthy. Not at all -- what it means is, they are just trying to make things better. When you say you're open to feedback, and someone gives you feedback, you might be tempted to follow these two step process: 1. Listen 2. Tell them why it is the way it is. BUT that's wrong, and it doesn't convey you value the brave soul who is naive enough to take what you said at face value. Instead: 1. Listen 2. Thank them for their valuable suggestion. You see-- you might preach openness, and receptivity to your teams when you want to implement something, but unless you can yourself be open minded and receptive, you will likely find yourself in a pit of frustration. Last piece of advice, you make admin fill out too many reports that are too long. I know it gives you a sense of control, which is important (as Dr. Bell would say), but it's extreme. Keep it simple. And along those lines, implement an agile/scrum team in your IT development team. Those portals are a nightmare, buggy, and are essential garbage.

Heartland Dental2019-09-13
  5. "World Class Company and Leader in Dentistry!"

Current Employee - Regional Manager of Operations in La Plata, MD

I have been working at Heartland Dental full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellence in patient care and superior support for all employees Growth potential and even stock ownership options for all.

Cons

It can be difficult at times to find like minded people to support the companies vision and mission of supporting dentists and communities they serve.

Advice to Management

Keep reaching and developing, our culture is amazing and the reason I stay. I am proud to be a member of this incredible company.

Heartland Dental2019-07-25
  6. "Grateful for Heartland"

Current Employee - General Dentist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Heartland Dental full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been working with Heartland for 8 yrs and have really enjoyed it. They allow me to practice dentistry without pressure of type of work or quotas. But they take care of all the BS I used to have to spend time doing when I was the owner. Now I can put more time in working as an actual dentist..that’s what I thought I was going to be doing! Now I am.

Cons

You might find how “average” you are as a dentist. We can see everyone’s production and I am very average..they have some high producers.

Advice to Management

Keep allowing the dentist to decide what services are best for the patient. Makes me feel proud to work for the group and sleep well knowing I did what I would want to be done for my own family.

Heartland Dental2019-06-19

"Don’t do it"

Current Employee - Dental Hygienist in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Heartland Dental full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits coworkers work play fun

Cons

Pay dentists breaks money work/life balance

Heartland Dental2019-04-10
  8. "Be honest about your skills and expectations, you will find an office that is a good fit for you."

Current Employee - Dentist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Heartland Dental full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of CE opportunities. Transparency Offers opportunities for growth and accommodates relocation Encourage ownership mentality Enough flexibility to help patients in need Encourages community involvement Provides the latest tools and technology (diode laser, diagnodent, intraoral cameras, digital scanners, etc.) Positivity and hard work pays off Excellent company parties/comference

Cons

Not exactly a con for me as most offices are fast paced and inexperienced dentists are often paired with experienced dentists so there's good learning opportunity. No 401k match but does offer stock options

Heartland Dental2019-02-04

"Beware of the recruiters"

Former Employee - General Dentist in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Heartland Dental full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dentists are treated with respect and the company has the finest and latest equipment. There are also numerous continuing education courses.

Cons

The recruiters describe large bonuses but they don't tell you that if you go to a de nova office you will NEVER get a bonus because they make the dentists working there pay off the loan on the practice. Also whenever you take a class the company charges the practice fees that come out of the dentist's paycheck. Management at the local level is terrible and the company is expanding too quickly so that they can't hire enough qualified candidates. Beware the DMP program as they say you can make $250,000 but in the end it isn't true. If the management didn't lie to us it would be a great opportunity

Advice to Management

Be honest with dentist and eliminate the de nova cost burden - if you continue to make new grads pay for YOUR buildings let them get vested interest in the stock. Also allow dentists to purchase an interest in their practice not companywide stock because all a dentist cares about is her/his practice and NOT struggling practices in other states.

Heartland Dental2019-01-26

"I am regarded and none of the jobs descriptions have ever been fulfilled"

Former Employee - Registered Dental Hygienist in Murrells Inlet, SC

I worked at Heartland Dental full-time for more than a year

Pros

That Heartland Dental may see what this Dentist says about them and how horrible he treats his staff.

Cons

No one gets to be properly trained and the Dentist is verbally and physically abusive as well as extremely against Heartlands ways

Advice to Management

There should be repercussions for a Dentist that is so outrageous and hurtful to his staff. Also there should be a way to be trained if the doctor tells his staff not to listen to Heartlands training.

Heartland Dental2018-10-17