Handy "want to work" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy Employee Reviews about "want to work"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Cleaner"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Free schedule nothing else is conviemt aside from choosing when you want to work or location.

Cons

No consistent work. Customers are rude will ask you to do work that's considered paid extras. FYI we Dont get the paid extras. People want you to perform miracles in little to no time. Hard with parking depending area or traveling. We take our own taxes out. And buy our own supplies. By the time you break up the pay for travel expense skip lunch count cleaning supplies and take trades out your not left with anything.

Advice to Management

This is beyond management. If a booking is over 100.00 and we make only 30-62.00 its a shame you have a over 200 employees a company worth 500 million. Trying to get the tax break by having independent contractors and allowing us to pay the high priced taxes off the little to no money we make. lucky if our jobs Dont get canceled were they charge 99.00 but we Dont get anything if its before 12 hours. I made as little as 60.00 for one week I can't support a child and buy cleaning supplies and travel to a next job no room for growth. Step up it guys we just want to be able to pay rent and make it. If there was an option for half a star just know the 1 star is at 0.4 not 1 in this case. Legally taking money from the poor. When we handle the labor hurt our hands and knees from scrubbing back aches and allergies for no warnings until after we have job location info which is hours before. If as a worker we had the option to see if a customer has pets. All these fancry apps you couldn't include that as an option when we see the booking. Give us more jobs or higher pay.

27 Nov, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Since professionals on the platform are contractors they will need to file taxes. If you have questions, you can email us, we're happy to help. Some cities are new to Handy so depending on where you... More

"Decent, really need to revamp either the hour or rating system."

Current Contractor - Cleaner in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Contractor - Cleaner in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Pick your own hours
    Pick where you want to work
    Easy to use app
    $20 an hour in Seattle. If you clean again for the same customer it gets bumped to $25, which is fantastic!
    Weekly Pay

Cons

Customers will ignore the recommended times for whatever reason and complain when not everything is not finished.

Real life example: A customer can select 4 hours for a 1,714 sq foot 3 story condo, 3 bedroom, 4 bath. Expect that you have to finish it in that time. Even if that's not an adequate amount of time to finish in and you will be rated poorly. At the very minimum that's a 5 hour job on any cleaning platform.

Customers should not be allowed to rate for unfinished work if they do not select the recommended time.

Oh and you can't actually see this information until you accept the job. Crazy right? It get's better. If you cancel, you are dinged on your keep rate. If you cancel within 48 hours of the job, you are fined, which I could understand if we could see the job before hand.

So you have to blindly accept jobs only knowing the date/time and money you'll earn, you aren't allowed to see anything else. Pretty shady way of doing business.

Unfortunately your job literally depends on ratings, so when someone does something like the above, it's incredibly irritating and damaging and you have absolutely no recourse.

No supplies discount, must purchase all items yourself. Not really that bad, but still adds up.

Customers can and will cancel up to the last minute. Last minute cancellations aren't that often, but 12-24 hour ones are common.

Advice to Management

If you don't plan on changing the rating system and our jobs depend on it, we should be allowed to dispute ratings or ratings should be buffered, not allowing customers to rate if they don't choose the recommended time.

26 Jul, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience so far working on the Handy platform. We are actively working on ways to improve the professional experience. We've made Pro Profile pages for pros to book... More

"Worse company to work."

Current Contractor - Cleaner in Dana Point, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Cleaner in Dana Point, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    You pick the location you want to work

Cons

Fee for canceling a job within 48 hours. Clients cancel jobs all the time within 14 hours or less and you are not able to find other job to replace on time. You don't get anything fee when that happens but if you need to cancel within 48 hours you pay a fee.
    Worse company to work. I feel like they just want to take for us as much they can. There is no incentive at all. Bad rating system. Clients expect 2 hours cleaning will give them the same as 5 hours.

Advice to Management

Should have an incentive program, as Uber and other companies have.
    Exemple, 1. when you complete a certain number of cleanings with good ratings you receive a bonus. 2. When a client request you back you should get a bonus, a raise on your hour or points/stars, something that the hard workers will feel appreciated and up to keep a great work.

11 Apr, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

It's our goal to make sure we create a platform that supports all cleaning professionals working on it. There's always room for improvement so we appreciate you sharing your feedback with us.... More

"Interested in working for Handy? What to know before you decide..."

Current Contractor - Housekeeper
    Current Contractor - Housekeeper

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Creating your own schedule
    -Picking the specific areas you want to work in
    -Receiving tips
    -Getting paid for customer no-shows and late cancellations
    -Paid on a weekly basis
    -Recurring clients so your schedule is pretty much set after awhile
    -Building relationships with customers
    -The convenience of picking jobs, setting a schedule and viewing your account info via an app

Cons

-Way too many fees
    -Too many cancellations which can be complicated for people with kids who need to hire babysitters. If you don't work, you don't get paid which is bad for parents because you need money to pay for babysitters and with the frequency which Handy cancels jobs, you may wind up owing more than you're making.
    -No appreciation from Handy for pros
    -No phone number to call customer service
    -No direct way to contact support for various issues. You have to play around with the app to fill out the form for a support ticket.
    -No kind of perks (no discounts on supplies or travel, no insurance, no benefits, no incentives of any kind no matter how well you do) The only reward you will get is a tip from your customers if they wish to tip you.
    -The app is glitchy. Often there are entry issues.
    -Penalties for cancellations from workers no matter the issue. However there is no compensation for Handy cancelling on workers, at all.
    -You will have to correspond and fight often with customer service over issues that will arise, and they will. Believe that.
    -Handy's policy are not for the benefit of the workers. They have set it up where they get paid twice, off the customer and off the workers.
    -Jobs will show up on the app as one-time customers when most of the customers have been signed up for subscriptions they didn't know about. Handy is very deceptive.
    -Some customers, although rare for me personally, will lie about your performance and give you a bad rating so they can get a free credit which lowers your rating. If you decide to work for Handy, take it with a grain of salt. Just do your best and carry on. Handy has no sympathy for workers who deal with this however and will not make the situation better for you.
    -Their customer service is horrible for the most part. They're just getting paid to copy and paste automated responses and apologize for not being able to help you. The only thing they do is reiterate Handy's one-sided policies and that's it.
    -If you get a pay raise, the minute your percentage drops, or if you haven't completed a set number of assignments, Handy lowers your pay raise. It takes consistency, sweat, and happy customers for your pay to increase but Handy won't set it in stone for you.
    -If you cancel jobs, a customer service rep may clear your whole schedule for two weeks. I know, it happened to me. And yet, we're supposed to be independent contractors. Sounds like employee politics to me.
    -Customer info is available too late. Sometimes you'll pick jobs not knowing if the customer has a pet or needs you to bring something extra like a vacuum until after you take the assignment. And once you do that, if you cancel, you get penalized with a fee.

Advice to Management

Value your workers more. We bust our butts to make ourselves and Handy look good at the same time. Offer some rewards to your workers. What's the benefit of having 5-star multiple ratings without reward? I think a good idea would be to reward a worker with a bonus for a set number of 5-star ratings. Lowering a workers rating because of cancelled jobs without a monetary fee isn't right. I can understand if the job was within 48 hours or so. Beyond that, if you don't charge a worker a fee for cancelling a job, then it shouldn't affect a worker's rating either. Hire some people that know what they're doing in customer service. Anyone can copy and paste. You give them too much power and they don't physical work like us. They're being paid to play with our livelihood and if you don't fix it, then expect legal problems, regardless of that bogus policy. There's no protection for workers and no appreciation which doesn't surprise me seeing as two men who probably never cleaned a home a day in their lives, own this company. Revamp your policies and offer your workers a REAL detailed survey so you can fix this mess. Stop being afraid of our truth or would you rather keep being embarrassed on sites like this? Let your workers see customer info before committing. If someone is allergic to pets, they have the right to know if a customer has a pet before taking the assignment. Or if a customer needs a cleaner with a vacuum, the assignment info should show that before a worker takes the job so the worker can make an informed decision thus saving everyone trouble. Handy has paid millions of dollars to keep workers as independent contractors and not employees, stop punishing us like we're your employees.

11 Apr, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for all your hard work and dedication. You bring up great points and we appreciate you sharing them with us. Handy has a mission of providing every service to every home and this would not... More

"Housecleaner-independent Contractor"

Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in Coral Springs, FL (US)
    Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in Coral Springs, FL (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Own schedule;
    $ to be made if you want to work for it

Cons

Horrific help desk for "employees"
    Not truly employees, independent Contractor (still waiting for my tax docs to arrive from them)
    Handy reserved the right to fire anyone, at anytime, without giving a reason
    They positvitely rob you with fees and fines (ex: made $7,455 YTD with Handy last year 05/2016-09/2016...$5463 in fees and fines. Not kidding take home was like $2000
    Fired day after thanksgiving. No reason has ever been given. Rated number 1 cleaner in ny area for 9 weeks straight. Had 4.8 out of 5 star rating
    *dont try to build your own client base via Handy. They tend to fire you

Advice to Management

Better service and care for your cleaner, handymen, etc

2 Mar, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we appreciate it. In terms of your taxes, you can find information on our Help Center that explains where to get your 1099. You can find that information here... More

"unfair system"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

you decide when to work and what area of city you want to work.

Cons

pretty unfair customers when rating, rate goes down company close your account. another problem is when the system does not work properly and you show up to work using the app check in and out. and then the company email you that you didn't show up to your work when actually you did, so the system is not in a good mood to register your presence in the house they just penalized you with a $50 dlls. fee for not "showing up" to work.

Advice to Management

update your system and customers list, a lot of customer that cancel and still in your system so when the pros claim job and get to the house they just don't respond to the pro by text or don't answer the phone.

20 Jan, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Customers are responsible for managing their Cleaning Plans. We send texts and emails prior to their booking to remind them. We apologize if you've experienced... More

"At your own risk"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

The pros of working through Handy is that it provides flexibility and the pay is good. I make my own schedule and claim jobs I want to work and I make decent extra money.

Cons

There are quite a few cons about Handy. There is absolutely NO live support for cleaners. If you have any issues at all you have to send an email and wait a day for your response. When they finally do respond, they NEVER give you a straight forward answer and NEVER take responsibility for anything. Another thing is that I have NEVER,EVER been paid for cleaning the extras such as inside the oven, inside the refrigerator, interior windows, etc. The customer always says they paid for it but Handy has NEVER paid me!! The rating system sucks!! If a customer gives you anything less than 5 stars, your keep rate is automatically reduced which puts you at risk for deactivation. Also, customers LIE and say you didn't do something and that is also held against you. I have left customers homes sparkling and they STILL were not satisfied and have given a bad rating. Something else is that there are SO MANY cancellations. If you are going to do this, please make sure you have a back up income because this is not reliable at times. I have had 8 jobs booked at the beginning of a week and by the end I would have only actually worked 3 or 4.

Advice to Management

GET SOME LIVE SUPPORT FOR CLEANERS AND PROFESSIONALS!!! Also, improve your rating system to work in favor of the professionals.

12 Aug, 2016 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We use email support because we believe this enables us to provide a more seamless experience to the tens of thousands of professionals currently using the Handy platform. We have worked hard to... More

"What to know before working with Handy as a Cleaner"

Current Contractor - Handy Cleaner in New York, NY (US)
    Current Contractor - Handy Cleaner in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Work assignments are sent to you via app. You can elect to have notifications of assignments for the day sent to you in real-time. You can order supplies through the app but I wouldn't recommend it. Buy your own supplies, it's cheaper. The Handy cloths are great though. The cloths hold soap very well and you only need a little soap at a time which saves money. You can select which location you want to work 7 days a week. I like the pay tier. I got a $2 dollar raise in less than a month. You don't have to solicit your own client. If a client forgets to cancel a job, you still get paid if the client isn't home.

Cons

Handy cancels jobs too much for me. Once your job is cancelled, you're pretty much out of money because there aren't any jobs in that time slot for you to claim anymore. Handy sometimes takes too long to post your tips. You can never reach them to speak to them. They only care about their customers but not their Cleaner and it's our sweat they get paid off of while giving us a percentage. There is no travel reimbursement. There was a power outage in NYC on the subway and I was stuck on in the train station for nearly an hour. Once on board the train, it was stuck for another 45 minutes in between stations. I notified my client of this and Handy. Even though my client said she understood, was very nice about and would reschedule, they still took $50 from me and were going to pay me $42.50. I had to walk home which was over 30 blocks and it's summer. When I informed Handy about it, they had no compassion for me and wouldn't refund my money and I'm 5-star rated with my first recurring client earned within 2 weeks of being employed with Handy and I started working with them in June. With that said, I don't see myself staying with Handy long although I really love what I do and pleasing my clients. UPDATE: My money was refunded but they took a recurring client from me because of it and tried to make it seem like the customer cancelled when I have an email stating what they've done.

Advice to Management

Your customer service team sucks Handy! Be available to your Cleaners as well as your customers. We are the ones making you look good off our sweat. Your business model isn't that unique that it cannot be duplicated and improved upon. You should have a separate number for your "contractors". Your fees are unfair. Your cancellation system is unfair also. Once a job is cancelled, we contractors lose money and there's no way for it to be recouped. Sometimes the cancellation will come within hours of the job and by then it's too late. Some of us have classes and families and it really interrupts our schedules with the cancellations and no incentives. There's no travel reimbursement. You should offer more incentives and perks and you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate. I'm really disappointed in my recent experience with Handy. You're basically paying your customer service for them to do absolutely nothing for your contractors. I don't encourage anyone to get involved with Handy until you treat your Cleaners with more value and respect. Check your representatives and your system and you wouldn't have so many people walking away or pending lawsuits.

26 Jul, 2016 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Over the last year, there’s been a number of changes to our professional and customer service practices. Overall, we believe these changes have been positive, allowing us to respond with... More

"Remember, Handy is only a technology platform!"

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

> The overall flexibility in scheduling! If a contractor doesn't want to work a certain day/time, there's no issue - as long as a scheduled job isn't removed (a fee is incurred if it is within 36* hours of the scheduled time for the job).
    > The pay is decent. It's tiered, so it depends on performance, with a base pay of $15/hour*.
    > The ability to see an impact/finished product. Interaction with various people at vastly different stages of life - plus it's a nice peek into what it'll be like to clean the dream home!

* For the Portland, OR area.

Cons

>Pay is based upon customer ratings and number of jobs completed within most recent pay cycle. Therefore, if only one client rates performance, the average can drop significantly. Also, if a lesser number of longer jobs are accepted, the number of jobs required may not be met. For those with maximum availability, high attention to detail, and quick pacing, this isn't an unsurmountable obstacle. It can be a little rocky to adjust at the beginning, though. (Must maintain a lifetime rating of 4.2/5 to remain on the platform, so it is necessary that many clients rate a perfect 5/5.)
    > The platform needs to be updated to open often. (Sometimes twice in the same week.) On average, there is a required update once a month, without vast improvements.
    > Customers frequently cancel jobs without enough time to fill the vacancy, but outside of the time frame that contractors are still paid.
    > TAX TIME! As independent contractors, cleaners are considered to be business owners for tax purposes. No taxes are taken from pay, so everything must be paid at filing. All income is reported on 1099-MISC.
    > If a contractor works beyond the booked hours to finish a job, there is no additional compensation unless the customer, personally, adds time.
    > Pretty much ZERO customer service. Many customers have difficulty canceling bookings (and the only point of contact they have is the contractor, who is powerless to resolve issues).
    > Still receive (quite a few) unnecessary/redundant text messages.

Advice to Management

> Improve customer service! Allow them the ability to easily (and successfully) cancel individual or recurring services, provide them with a person (phone number, email, something!) to assist them with any questions or concerns. There have been several times that customers were disappointed with the level of service from Handy, and that translates into their interaction with the contractors. They're frustrated when they've tried to cancel a cleaning several times, and someone still shows up!
    > Require customers to rate the service if that is going to be the means of deciding the pay of the contractors. Or, automatically assign the highest rating unless there is a complaint.
    > Consider the total number of hours worked for the tiers, instead of the number of jobs per cycle.
    > Consider a tier for those who have a certain number of lifetime hours as well. (i.e., if one has worked through the Handy platform and completed 300 hours the base pay is $16/hour, at 500 hours $17/hour, etc.) This is a suggestion to reward retention. There is no promotion within the company, so it seems the best way to retain people is to increase pay. Maybe have like a Gold Service or something, where customers could pay a little more to have a more experienced, well-rated cleaner?

10. "Awesome"

Pros

The pay is great. I would definitely recommend if you want to work part time for a decent salary.

Cons

I don;t have any cons

Advice to Management

Thanks for all your encouragement.