Handy "no one" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy Employee Reviews about "no one"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "facebook culture"

Former Contractor - Worker in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Contractor - Worker in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

easy work hours, easy job

Cons

no support, no one to monitor accurate reviews, bad management

Advice to Management

have a phone number or better email response

27 Apr, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We provide email support because we think it's the most efficient way to communicate to the tens of thousands of professionals and customers using the app. We usually respond to emails within an hour... More

2. "No contact"

Former Contractor - Housekeeper in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Contractor - Housekeeper in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Select jobs in your area

Cons

No customer service for me or the clients. They have "Email assistance, or FAQ" What a joke no one replies! Customers would be mad at me because Handy either over charged them, or customer service lied to them or were rude. How is Handy claiming to be good to us, they can't even get the customers happy. I quit due to them nickle and dime me.

I had an established cleaning company before Handy, and realized an ad in my small town home paper was way better than working for a company who penalized me and the customer for believing in them.

Advice to Management

Stop saying you have email assistance, what is that? Once two of us "Handy" employees showed up at the same house, me and a man, to clean really? He checked in so did I he claimed he'd done it before and gotten paid. I cleaned the house, believing I wouldn't get paid, but felt bad for the customer. I got paid too, that let me know you guys do not have things together, emails, apps and fees do not equal actual caring compassionate humans. I'm shocked this isn't basic customer service knowledge for you? And how are you treated the "workers" making you the money? Like thieves. I'd regroup, and find the humanity in your company again. Apps and emails aren't cutting guys, clearly. Thanks

27 Nov, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We do have email support because we believe it's faster and more efficient than phone support, which had long wait times. If two professionals show up to a job that means the customer scheduled two... More

"Not the worst boss I've had, but close."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, but as economics class taught us, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    Some of the engineers are great people, and at least one of the managers is honest, has a measure of humility, and is not a chode, but just the one that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, they weren't actually my manager.

Cons

The uppers very obviously pay to have positive reviews added on both the app store and the google play store. They also very obviously have had some of those managers (who are actively engaged in looking as good as possible to the CEO) add glowing reviews on here as well. No one below manager level would give a 5 star review.

Handy has been bleeding talent as people find more interesting and positive work where the stock options are more likely to matter.

The hours are just about always long/late, and if you actually take a normal 10 minute break, you're seen as uncommitted, addressed by your manager, and it's a black mark.

It doesn't matter how much you've actually contributed, just how good you looked doing 'something' and how much credit you've taken.

No matter how many times people bring up the fact that both providers and customers are getting screwed and are unhappy and we ought to think about how we could better serve them, the only conversation the uppers have is how to better control them, pay the providers less money, collect more fees, and squeeze more out of customers.

4. "Housecleaner"

Current Contractor - Housecleaner in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Housecleaner in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule Pay is right on time every week bonuses when u book more regulars

Cons

Cancels a lot of jobs last minute
    No one to talk to

Advice to Management

Get a1-800#

17 Aug, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We made the decision to provide email support so we can efficiently provide support to all the tens of thousands of professionals that work on our platform. We strive to answer emails as quickly as... More

"Not really worth it"

Current Contractor - General Cleaner in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Contractor - General Cleaner in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

1. They do pay you. A direct deposit shows up in your account within a couple of weeks. That's all I can think of.

Cons

SO MANY! Firstly, one must pay for their own background check. This is not refunded in any way. Usually a company will refund the cost on your first paycheck, Handy does not. You must purchase your own supplies. Fine, that is to be expected most of the time anyway, but they encourage you to purchase these supplies from them! If a client cancels, there is absolutely no reimbursement to the cleaner, but my research shows that the company gets a small cancellation fee. Their ad claims that a cleaner can earn $18 per hour / it's actually $15. That's a great rate, but there are very few jobs available. I have a 5 star rating and there are no jobs available until the end of the week. That's a $45 earning for the entire week. No one can live on that salary. What puzzles me is that if there are "no jobs available" per their own app, why are they still advertising for employees? I saw an ad online to apply with them as recently as yesterday. I reside in a very large city and find it very hard to believe there are no jobs available...it seems more likely that they have too many employees that have paid their background fees, possibly bought supplies through the company, and then sit and wait for maybe one or two jobs a week. I've been with them for nearly a month, I have a 5 star rating, I have never been late, and I have not yet had one job assignment per day. I've come to the conclusion that this company is making the majority of their profits from the background checks and cancellation fees.

Advice to Management

Share your cancellation fees with the cleaners. As a cleaner we carve out our schedules according to job assignments; when a client cancels we are simply out of luck. Also, if there are "no jobs available" per your app scheduling process, stop trying to hire new people.

26 Jul, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

If a customer cancels a job 24-2 hours from the booking start time, we do provide some compensation to pros for leaving that time available on their schedules. We continue to work on initiatives to... More

"Stay Away not worth it"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

None..... Just being able to use a branded name and discounts on supploes

Cons

All the jobs o book cancel, yet when you cancel even in the 48 hour window you are charged $10 - what about my time ? I should be charging handy for the eight cancelled jobs I have that were cancelled with less than a 24 hour notice, no one would even listen to me
    Took of
    Ver four emails to try and get ANY assistance
    The company is inconsistent charge a high rate to the customer and pays the contractor pennies, in my market I got Nothing for free not even a shirt. This company is a lair they are deceptive, very unfair and I a, working with former handy contractors in my area to start a class action and then maybe I will get help or someone's attention since apparently my time isn't important and neither is are my questions - and by the way had a lawyer review my independent contractor agreement and handy has a few violations there I am sure I can push in court.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and treat them with respect as you are asking for, my time is valuable like yours, how do you cancel my jobs in less than 24 hours then have me booked for jo s I have PROOF I didn't book, take four emails to get assistance and now you want to charge me a $10 fee when I did my part plus supplies and gas, etc. no thank you.... Walk a mile in my shoes..... Very poor service, but this is just the beginning for the breaches alone I am preparing to start a class action and have firm current and former contractors who have agreed in writing to peruse. If anyone fro, handy even cares or wants to fix this then, my post is here for you to see..... I'm not counting my breath

20 Jan, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share this insight. Unfortunately, there will be times when a customer cancels their booking. We know this isn't a good experience for working professionals when this... More

"Don't Work Here!"

Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The weekly pay, and the regular customers in the safe areas of town.

Cons

Sometimes they don't reveal the job to you until one hour ahead of time, which could be a concern for safety. No one to really talk to except by email. There is no phone support. Even my customers complain to me about this. If you want to run a business, you might to have actually human beings who will be willing to speak to you on the phone.

Advice to Management

Reveal the address of where the contractor is going 24 hours ahead of time! That way they can actually get a hold of the customer! Also change your rating system! Some of us are getting sick and tired of customers who say we do a good job to our faces, but turn around and give us low ratings when our backs are turned.

10 Nov, 2016 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We strive to provide the best experience for both customers and professionals. Handy understands the hard work professionals put into their bookings and how... More

"Worst Company To Ever Work for!!!!!!!!!!"

Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to pick your hours and the days you wanna work!
    Most of the clients are nice
    The pay is OK!

Cons

Their customer service is a joke
    I'm convinced all of them are incompetent.
    They take forever to answer the emails and when they do it seems as if they never even read what you said seems like a Robo response.
    They have taken money from me on multiple occasions because of customers being a no show and then lying and saying they were home.If you're a contractor you have no one backing you definitely not the company.
    The have no number to speak to a human being
    And they definitely don't screen these customers.
    I have been sent to places that were filth,moldy and some even had loads of drugs there.This company puts its contractors in harms way all the time.

I won't be working here very long because I am just highly frustrated by the lack of concern for the contractors who work for this company
    Good luck running the company with all your
    Good Reliable Contractors GONE

Advice to Management

I have no advice for them because its not like they will listen anyway.
    They will close soon just as HomeJoy has😏😏😏

9. "Dont work for them"

Current Contractor - Maid in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Contractor - Maid in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They hire you as long as you can pass a background

Cons

They have no one to contact, they pay me 15 an HR n I was promised 22$ n they have no phone number to contact anyone . The company takes 60% of the money to keep n don't do anything to help you when u need help . Also they cut my time not giving me time to complete a job .

Advice to Management

Be more involved, n stop taking so much money away from the people doing the work

"Good Pay, Not so good business practices."

Former Contractor - House Cleaner in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - House Cleaner in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor

Pros

I signed on for the pay and the flexibility.

Cons

This is another one of those companies who does not value the people they hire. I signed on with them, and began working within the week. I already had on the job cleaning experience but working for Handy was a bit different than my past experience.

Handy only does routine cleaning. They do not do deep cleaning/ stain removal. When a customer creates a booking they input the number of bedrooms and bathrooms and they add on the kitchen and dusting and vacuuming etc. You purchase your own supplies.

In my first week I was called out to several bookings that were in the deep cleaning category. Meaning they were straight up nasty. A layer of long black hairs on the floor of every room, mold in the bathrooms, crud and funk and what looked to be boogers on walls. One home had rodent feces in floor of kitchen. The toilet brush was so old it literally disintegrated when I tried to clean the funkified toilet bowl with it. The people who had pets had an unbelievable amount of pet hair. My vacuum still stinks like dog when I run it. These homes/apartments had clearly not been touched in a year or more. The customers, not looking to break their budgets, only sign up for 2 hours of cleaning, yet have this long list of tasks. None of my customers could figure out how to add more time to the booking in their app! I was not able to either.

I also had several bookings of homes that were clean and wanted routine cleaning, but had more rooms and bathrooms than they were disclosing on the app. Also the app does not account for home size. I had a booking that not only added an extra bath but the kitchen alone was 650 sq feet. My vacuum cord was not long enough to reach all the stairs because this home was so massive ( maybe 4,000 sq ft of carpet?). The home owner had me use her $1,000 vacuum but reported me to Handy as being unprepared.

One woman wanted all of her grout scrubbed with Soft Scrub in the kitchen and stated that is her main thing and she would give 5 stars if I got all her grout clean. The grout was falling out and crumbling in some places, grease stained in others and looked no different after I scrubbed it with a grout brush and and soft scrub as she requested. She also tacked on extra rooms and extra vacuuming to the order during walk through.

One booking listed a two bedrooms and two bathrooms but the home was under construction and the dust was so bad it was not a routine cleaning- and there was not two bathrooms there was actually three. When cleaning floors the app never accounts for hall ways and stairs and those take time too.

People and ratings are very fickle. Let me tell you, almost no one tips. Twice I received a decent tip. For a sixty dollar job most people offer 5 bucks if any.

There was absolutely no guidance or mentor ship to help when I got started. I had to write in to Handy for guidance and even then, they were vague and not a 100% helpful. It took me about a week to get the hang of it and to know when to inform a customer that they need to adjust the size of the booking or that we don't do deep cleaning jobs like this. However I would have been stuck with it anyways.

Some customers don't even rate you if the job is to satisfaction, they only rate when its not. So week one I struggled until I reached out to handy for more clarification and guidance on booking policies because it seemed like these jobs were not going how they were supposed to. Week two I actually had two out of three five star jobs and my rating was going up, however with only 13 days on the platform I was terminated via text message and email.

I spent a lot of money on supplies, which I will be writing the entire thing off as a loss on my taxes. There are actually some articles out there on the web on what a mess this company is and how unfair the rating system is, and how there is frequent theft by cleaners, and how so many contractors get terminated from this company from having bad bookings. I signed on anyways and thought what the heck, I'm a really hard worker. Turns out they were right.

Its a bummer they lost an honest, dedicated hard worker. I probably would have been doing 5-10 jobs a week, every week. I would have definitely been able to turn the ratings around. Due to how much I spent on supplies I would not recommend signing on to this company.

Advice to Management

Developing cleaner to cleaner mentor ship.
    Creating some videos on what happens when you get to a house that is not upfront about the number of baths and bedrooms or overall size of the home.
    Creating a video on what you do when you get to a booking that requires deep cleaning.
    Make sure customers know they can add more time to the booking and how they can do that. No one could figure it out!
    Giving a period of 30 days before terminating people for poor ratings considering you offer no mentor ship and customers can be dishonest and fickle. Perhaps customers don't understand that we don't offer deep cleaning services. All they know is their house is nasty and they can hire a slave and expect them to clean their whole nasty house in under three hours, then give a poor rating if its not all finished despite that fact some one worked like a slave.

Your rating system is not practical. Too much power is given to customers. They don't know 4 stars is actually a bad rating.