Handy "last minute" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy Employee Reviews about "last minute"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Can"

Current Contractor - House Cleaner in New York, NY (US)
    Current Contractor - House Cleaner in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule, meet new people, get tips.

Cons

Where do I began, well let's start with handy new cancellation policy for customers, they have up to 30 mins prior to the booking to cancel and pay the pro $15. Does handy not know that we pro are already on our way 30 minutes before the booking. That's more then an inconvenience, that's time and money taken away, then the fact that handy may or may not have another booking to claim and 9 out of 10 if they cancel last minute all you making that day is $15.
    If the Pro cancels 48 hours to 24 hours before booking it's $10, 24hours to 4hours $20 and $40 there after... if the pros are being charged $40 for canceling 4 hours prior, giving handy enough time to let another pro claim the job means handy comes off with not only there payment from the booking, but the cancellation fee as well.
    Customer service sucks the majority of the time takes them hours to answer a simple question and 9 out of 10 times the answer has nothing to do with the question.
    As for the customers booking handy needs to asked more questions from the clients, the messes I have come across , and the lies. One client booked for two hours one bedroom one bathroom the information on the app said. But when I got there it was three bedrooms two bathrooms and the client home was really messy, but the client wanted me to clean it all in two hours and when I kindly informed her that she did not book me for enough time that the job would take more then two hours she got up set and emailed handy to cancel the booking.

Advice to Management

Customer service needs phones and email not just email. The cancellation pay 30 mins prior to booking is wrong in some many ways, it's showing the pros that there is no point in working with handy let alone for handy. $15 could be our only pay for that day if the pro only have one booking that day. Because the likelihood of claiming an other booking is slime to none.
    The pro's cancellation fee 4 hours prior needs to be changed. $40 is a lot of money, especially when handy can not guarantee jobs to claim, let alone be completed because the clients cancellations. Just today I had there claimed jobs and all three cancelled. So that means I made not one dollar today why because of handy cancellation policy for customers, and the fact that handy has no jobs to claim. It's sad because I really do like working for them aside from all that

23 May, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We used to have a direct phone line but wait times were too long. During this time we could not offer efficient support to the tens of thousands or customers and pros using the app. When we switched... More

"Cancelation fees"

Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Make your own schedule.
    Travel the city and meet new people.
    Plenty of jobs

Cons

The last minute cancellation with clients after they have requested for your services a week in advance then they cancel 1 or 2 days before the day your are suppose to be there I'm sure I'm not the only one who keeps track on how much money they need for that week.
    Pay raise I remember when I first started working on the platform I was making like $17.00 now the current payrate is $14.00
      we go into a home /apartment that looks like it hasn't been clean in awhile and they have the nerve to book a 2 hour job knowing it's a 3 to 4 hour job.

Advice to Management

Work on those fees!!

3. "Terrible polices."

Current Contractor - Contractor in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Contractor - Contractor in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

None. You going to the job side with instructions sent to you last minute. You dont know if the house required deep cleaning or regular cleaning

Cons

Customer can reschedule the last minute and change the hours from 4 to 2, and you can not cancel it. Is not the same job if insted of 4 hours you have to clean 2 bed and 2 bath in 2 hours. And driving 20 miles to job site for 2 hours is not worth the pay

29 Aug, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Customers aren't able to reschedule their cleanings within 2-24 hours of the scheduled booking. Handy's booking minimum is 3 hours for cleaning and 2 hours for handyman services. If you're not able... More

4. "Housecleaner"

Current Contractor - Housecleaner in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Housecleaner in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule Pay is right on time every week bonuses when u book more regulars

Cons

Cancels a lot of jobs last minute
    No one to talk to

Advice to Management

Get a1-800#

17 Aug, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We made the decision to provide email support so we can efficiently provide support to all the tens of thousands of professionals that work on our platform. We strive to answer emails as quickly as... More

"Decent, really need to revamp either the hour or rating system."

Current Contractor - Cleaner in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Contractor - Cleaner in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Pick your own hours
    Pick where you want to work
    Easy to use app
    $20 an hour in Seattle. If you clean again for the same customer it gets bumped to $25, which is fantastic!
    Weekly Pay

Cons

Customers will ignore the recommended times for whatever reason and complain when not everything is not finished.

Real life example: A customer can select 4 hours for a 1,714 sq foot 3 story condo, 3 bedroom, 4 bath. Expect that you have to finish it in that time. Even if that's not an adequate amount of time to finish in and you will be rated poorly. At the very minimum that's a 5 hour job on any cleaning platform.

Customers should not be allowed to rate for unfinished work if they do not select the recommended time.

Oh and you can't actually see this information until you accept the job. Crazy right? It get's better. If you cancel, you are dinged on your keep rate. If you cancel within 48 hours of the job, you are fined, which I could understand if we could see the job before hand.

So you have to blindly accept jobs only knowing the date/time and money you'll earn, you aren't allowed to see anything else. Pretty shady way of doing business.

Unfortunately your job literally depends on ratings, so when someone does something like the above, it's incredibly irritating and damaging and you have absolutely no recourse.

No supplies discount, must purchase all items yourself. Not really that bad, but still adds up.

Customers can and will cancel up to the last minute. Last minute cancellations aren't that often, but 12-24 hour ones are common.

Advice to Management

If you don't plan on changing the rating system and our jobs depend on it, we should be allowed to dispute ratings or ratings should be buffered, not allowing customers to rate if they don't choose the recommended time.

26 Jul, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience so far working on the Handy platform. We are actively working on ways to improve the professional experience. We've made Pro Profile pages for pros to book... More

"Don't work for handy! I've worked here for 2 months 11 days"

Current Contractor - Cleaner in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Cleaner in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You can make money quickly if the rate is good. This company has potential to be great but the system is a mess.

Cons

-pay rate can drop because the sun is shining
    -last minute cancellations by customer's, or handy removes jobs from your schedule for any reason they see fit without any explanation
    -they do things that are not outlined in the service contract like charging a fee and removing 2 days worth of jobs, and when questioned....they removed all my jobs and sent a text asking if i am still going to use the platform
    -emails from reps have nothing to do with the subject at hand that was initially presented to them
    -they charged me another fee but it was incorrect, when I asked why they said they saw that I did not show up to a booking, I kept sending emails because it wasnt true. After I sent them pictures of my emails proving what I was saying was true, they finally put the money back, but imagine those that don't have basic computer skills, or those that never say anything? Free money for handy, while we do the work!
    -no sense of appreciation from the company
    -you buy supplies, gas for super far bookings, so whatever the hourly rate is deduct $5
    -some houses are FILTY!!!! Like an episode of horders. If you stay and clean you are bound to get a bad rating because they have unrealistic expectations for what is needs to be done
    And the BEST PART IS HANDY CHARGES CUSTOMER'S NO LESS THAN $90 PER CLEANING, BUT THE AVERAGE PRO MAKES $51 FOR A 3 HOUR CLEANING SO THE REST OF THE MONEY GOES TO HANDY.....IT GETS BETTER!!!! IF A CUSTOMER HAS MORE THAN 1 BED 1 BATH THE COST OF THE BOOKING GOES UP, BUT THE CLEANERS RATE STAYS EXACTLY THE SAME!!! IMAGINE CLEANING A 3 BED 3 BATH FOR $51 OR $60, BUT HANDY CHARGED THE CLIENT $120 AS IF THEY WERE THE ONES CLEANING THE OTHER ROOMS...
    -customers list things like "carpet needs deep cleaning, or bring quarters to do my laundry" in the special instructions to avoid paying for services, or to get something done that they know is not part of our service

Advice to Management

Youre on the road to becoming the next uber! Stop having people take surveys to create the illusion that everything is great working for the company.

18 Jul, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We will continue to work diligently to improve the platform for all professionals.

"Cleaner"

Current Contractor - Cleaner in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Contractor - Cleaner in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Make a little money for gas

Cons

You Get charge for mistake handypro make ...rate system dont work.you cant talk to a live person ..only email. Jobs can cancel at the last minute in you get nothing. Maybe 15 but some times not even that... You cant work two jobs with handy because if you try yo work around your job to clean with handy you will lose your house in your car

Advice to Management

Dont work for them

18 Jul, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

"Good option for making extra $"

Former Contractor - House Cleaner in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - House Cleaner in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor

Pros

-flexibility
    -standard base rate
    -opportunity for tip
    -ability for clients to request you back

Cons

-taxes, contract status
    -purchase your own supplies
    -extra costs like gas/supplies will make you decide if cleaning a house is really worth it.
    -hard to know if the house your cleaning is really as big/small as the client says. I've had a wide variety of homes that were categorized as 1 bed/1bath (big and small). they should account for stairs and square footage, but they don't.
    -hard to know if you will be cleaning a home with a pet until the very last minute.

Advice to Management

N/A

9. "Really Great"

Current Contractor - House Cleaner in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - House Cleaner in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Handy is wonderful for part time work!

Cons

The only thing would be customer last minute cancellations

10. "Cleaner"

Current Contractor - Handy Cleaner
    Current Contractor - Handy Cleaner

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Just started working last weekend

-Great Starting pay & tips,
    -Able to make my own schedule for my convenience especially when working around my daily schedule and met great people so far!

Cons

Wish customers stop cancelling appointments last minute at times but so far I love it the job is great for someone who wants to make an extra income.