Handy "flexible schedule" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy Employee Reviews about "flexible schedule"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Shady"

Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule is the only pro

Cons

pay, general practice, job support

Advice to Management

I started working on the platform being told the rate was $XX with the possibility of and increase of $XX+$5 per hour with good performance, X amount of jobs, etc. That is fine. After a few months I see that jobs are being offered $2 less per hour than the standard flat intro rate. When I inquire I get a response that the rates in my city could be changing. My rates could be changing to be LESS ? The cost of living in my city has not gone down, if anything it increases every year. The minimum wage in my city increases every year, but handy has decided to pay less! I am also aware that they take a cut of as much as 50%. I know they have other less than desirable practices.

7 Nov, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thanks for your feedback. We care about doing research about the market to ensure we're paying pros fairly and as much as possible. While we do our best to pay pros as much as possible we also have... More

2. "Ehh"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Decent pay and whatnot

Cons

Lack of management and customers wanting too much.

30 Oct, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your hard work and feedback.

3. "GREAT!"

Current Contractor - Handyman in Albany, NY (US)
    Current Contractor - Handyman in Albany, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, bonuses for last minute jobs

Cons

Sometimes there's little work to be done. Slow communication on occasions.

4. "Handy=Lame"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -Good amount of jobs (dependent upon market)
    -Depending upon your market try other independent contractor sites such as Wonolo, Shiftgig or Taskrabbit.

Cons

-Carry your own vacuum
    -Pro cancellation fees
    -Customer cancellation fees
    -E-mail support is simply trained to literally lie from time to time. (Not all the time but they certainly will do what they need to do to make them "correct")
    -Starting pay

Advice to Management

Customers should be charged the same as pros for cancellations.
    Charge pros only within 24 hours of cancelling. There's plenty of time for someone else to pick up the job after it is cancelled. Handy uses its fees just to pocket money for themselves. $20 for a cancellation within 24 hours is absolutely absurd. Especially considering if a customer cancels up to 4 hours they are only charged $15. All your doing with that fee is pocketing most of it.

21 Mar, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

If a pro says they are going to attend a booking and the customers expects they are coming then only gives 24 hours notice when they are going to cancel, this is unacceptable. Especially, since... More

"Handy is trash... Oh... The irony"

Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule... I guess, you'd basically have to take every appointment available and then some

Cons

Was fired because someone claimed a pair of shoes were missing. No notification, no investigation. I had been on the platform for two years and had over 725+ jobs completed with a 78% 5 star rating and this was my only source of income, which was not even sustainable. Dont waste your time. Customers are typically trash. Ridiculous expectations, but want to get the lowest time ( 2 hours) but expect a deep clean of an entire house. You can really only clean a studio thoroughly in two hours. The attitudes of a lot of these clients tend to heir on the side of entitled and rude. The way the rating system is tied in with your pay you're pretty much a slave to the customer and have to do their bidding and stay hours over to complete the job frequently. The customers typically do not care about your time and totally expect you to stay over the time they actually paid for. Dont even think about setting the correct expectation at the beginning of the appointment or in the middle or end by telling them that they did not pay for enough time, they'll almost always take offense to it and it will reflect in your tip (lack their of) and definitely in your rating for sure. Anything under a 5 star rating drastically negatively impacts your rating. Mind you, I'm probably the best at this, if not one of the very top in the Los Angeles area, Handy is trash. after transportation/parking/buying your own supplies/ and all the free work you'll have to give up, its just not worth it. When you do have problems in the field, you can only reach out via email, though they typically respond really quickly, they often write you off immediately and I have gotten the feeling on several occasions that they did not work to completely read and understand what I had wrote before they replied, often leading to a back and forth in which I an ultimately found to be correct by another employee that responds and continues the email thread later in the day. Handy is totally frustrating. Not sure if the opportunities are dropping off or if the market is flooded or both. Handy reserves the right to change their rules and operations as much as they want. Have seen much change since 2015, largely unfavorable to the workers. Used to get client information the night before, now you only get it hours before the appointment. The window for which you can cancel an appoiment without penalty has been drastically decreased, but a client can cancel on you up to a hour before and you'll only get 15, mind you that slot took up a real appointment i could've had that i expected days leading up to the appointment. Handy is trash on so many levels

Advice to Management

You should definitely open communication with the cleaners on the ground to see how you can improve. You have many weaknesses. Should have an office position that actually works in the field so that you can more easily relate and identify foreseeable problems and circumstances before they arise.

9 Dec, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for feedback we greatly appreciate your honesty and all the hard work you've done on the platform.

6. "Wicked, heartless and cruel"

Former Contractor - Handy Cleaner in New York, NY (US)
    Former Contractor - Handy Cleaner in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, on time payment, relatively easy getting jobs through the platform

Cons

ridiculous and expensive cancellation policies, pay structure is designed to keeping you at the lowest pay rate, long wait times in response to questions, queries, and issues from management and btw only emails no phone call, they can kick you off for just about any reason, its like dealing with and working with robots. the system is always changing mostly to your disadvantage.

Advice to Management

treat people fair and take feedbacks

29 Nov, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your feedback and we greatly appreciate the time you spent working on the platform. We decided with the amount of professionals and customers using the platform that we could provide... More

7. "Housecleaner"

Current Contractor - Housecleaner in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Housecleaner in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule Pay is right on time every week bonuses when u book more regulars

Cons

Cancels a lot of jobs last minute
    No one to talk to

Advice to Management

Get a1-800#

17 Aug, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We made the decision to provide email support so we can efficiently provide support to all the tens of thousands of professionals that work on our platform. We strive to answer emails as quickly as... More

8. "shying in comparison with other cleaning companies"

Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

.flexible schedule
    .pleasant clients
    .work availability

Cons

there is not direct contact with the clients, If I am working with a particular client and say the time and/or day they book doesn't work for me but I'm willing to flex another day and time that would work best for them. I have NO WAY of conveying this to them so I'm forced to cancel on accepting their appointment, which has cost me some very valuable clients.

Ordering the box.com for handy is not convenient at all.

I signed up with another one of Handy's competitors and they have their stuff together. you get a contact person you can contact VIA PHONE! plus their pay rate for Chicago is considerably higher than Handy and you decide what price point you wish to charge the clients.

Communication between Handy and their contracted works SUCKS! all you can do is leave a email and wait for someone to respond via email , which usually takes them 24-48 hours to respond.

Advice to Management

The app is steadily improving, which is a good thing, but you need to incorporate some of the advise that prior and current contractors are suggestion or complaining about to improve the service for the clientele we work with because if your service professionals aren't satisfied the people that they service won't be either.

26 May, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We're happy to know you're noticing some of the changes we've made to the pro app. But that's not all! Our team has been working hard to improve the professional experience. We've added features like... More

"Worse company to work."

Current Contractor - Cleaner in Dana Point, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Cleaner in Dana Point, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    You pick the location you want to work

Cons

Fee for canceling a job within 48 hours. Clients cancel jobs all the time within 14 hours or less and you are not able to find other job to replace on time. You don't get anything fee when that happens but if you need to cancel within 48 hours you pay a fee.
    Worse company to work. I feel like they just want to take for us as much they can. There is no incentive at all. Bad rating system. Clients expect 2 hours cleaning will give them the same as 5 hours.

Advice to Management

Should have an incentive program, as Uber and other companies have.
    Exemple, 1. when you complete a certain number of cleanings with good ratings you receive a bonus. 2. When a client request you back you should get a bonus, a raise on your hour or points/stars, something that the hard workers will feel appreciated and up to keep a great work.

11 Apr, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

It's our goal to make sure we create a platform that supports all cleaning professionals working on it. There's always room for improvement so we appreciate you sharing your feedback with us.... More

10. "Cleaner"

Current Freelancer - Cleaner in Toronto, ON
    Current Freelancer - Cleaner in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Handy (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Paid directly to bank account
    Good tips
    Meet nice people
    If the customer is not at home they still paying you

Cons

You have to buy the cleaning supplies and carry them every day. They don't reimburse you that expense.
    No benefits
    Let you know the address one night before.
    Customer expected you to finish on the time they book.
    Customers not always mention they have pets