Handy Self Employed Cleaner Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Handy rating system need improvement" (in 46 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 39 reviews)

"Customers Lie & you get fired with no questions!"

Current Contractor - Self Employed Cleaner in New York, NY (US)
    Current Contractor - Self Employed Cleaner in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Flexible hours, Your your own boss?

Cons

Customers want so much for 2 hours & if you can't meet their needs they complain! Then Handy lays you off with no questions asked!! Then they don't pay you for the time you worked. Most of the apartments are sooo dirty that it takes 2 hours just to clean the bathroom! But handy does not care because they only want the money, Its a scam company if you ask me. Customers pay handy $54 for 2 hours and we only get paid $30 WTH! Then if you have to cancel they charge you $40 or $20 depending on the time frame. HOT MESS!
    Oh & your app sucks!!!

Advice to Management

No one can clean a dirty apartment in 2 hours. You need to rework the system or get your lazy azz out and see what your workers are talking about.

"They scam their cleaners"

Current Contractor - Self Employed Cleaner
    Current Contractor - Self Employed Cleaner

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you can get to tier 3 ($20 per hour here) you can make decent money. Ability to claim jobs that fit your schedule and leave the rest.

Cons

Good luck finding jobs to even accept, they disappear from the app in seconds because there are more cleaners than places that need to be cleaned.
    You have to CONSTANTLY check for available jobs if you want to make more than chump change.
    Jobs disappear almost as soon as you book them from customer cancelations, this didn't start happening for me until I made it to tier 3 ($20 per hour) so it feels fishy, like handy is the one cancelling the jobs, and not letting me maintain the $20 per hour rate that I'm at.
    The handy support team does not know how to fix any kind of glitch in the Pro app and will email you back about something entirely different than the problem you stated.
    I have had a lot of feedback from cleaning clients saying they didn't know/were not alerted that I was going to show up at all.
    From the moment I signed up it felt like the handy app treats its cleaners like criminals trying to charge us and threaten our jobs for the tinniest of mistakes, don't ever be 10 minutes late because handy will charge you $15, even if you talk to the client and they are fine with it.
    Sometimes emergencies happen, handy doesn't care, if you chop a finger off while putting away someone's knife you will be charged for not finishing the job and for canceling the next two days of work to recover.

Customers have told me that handy is a scam, that they schedule cleans without the customers knowledge and won't refund their money.

Advice to Management

Spend some time LISTENING to your cleaners, we are in the field doing the dirty work and we deserve to be treated with respect, not like criminals.

"Self Employed Cleaner"

Current Freelancer - Self Employed Cleaner in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule for good pay, and pays weekly.....no worrying about collecting monies. Although I am an independent contractor/freelance worker, marketing is all inclusive, and income verification are provided upon request, which is great for proving income and tax time. Also they consistently send out reminders to me as well as the clients.

Cons

Technical support is all online/through the app, or one has to go into their office.

"House cleaner"

Current Contractor - Self Employed Cleaner in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Contractor - Self Employed Cleaner in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Work when u want to work and meeting new people

Cons

No real number to contact anyone they take off jobs that you claimed without letting you know anything pay rates are also wrong they lied to you when your first hired they tell you you can make up to $1,000 a week your rates may go up and then go down without any notice this is the worst company I ever worked for so if you don't want to feel cheated don't work for Handy..

Advice to Management

Get a real number where your employees can contact you in case of a problem instead of emailing and waiting for days for someone to respond make your employees feel appreciated..

"Very good company to work for"

Current Freelancer - Self Employed Cleaner in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy (More than a year)

Pros

Work for myself. Normally, my day starts with a good morning conversation about friends and family, family pets. Through the years of working with the same clients, I established a good friendship and trust; the best part is nobody is watching overhead, so, I am cleaning the house and organizing around the house like it's mine. People trust me, so most of the time they are living for their errands to do and leave the check for me. I am enjoying my day while I am cleaning.The most enjoyable part of this job would have to be working independently and being able to listen to my own music and work freely.

Cons

Not really any I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you doing, and it's gonna be another profitable year

"There's no help!"

Former Contractor - Self Employed Cleaner in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Self Employed Cleaner in London, England (UK)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Choose own schedule, plenty of jobs available, pays on time

Cons

You can't contract anyone by phone. Customer ratings are not shared, you just see an average and one customer can run your average. There is not enough information about each appointment until after you accept and then if you choose to cancel owing to what you find out later, you are charged. App frequent didn't work, had to continually request a new PIN, texts often failed to send from the app. Hello section on the website is useless and takes you round in circles. £38 for background check is taken from your first earnings even in the case of already holding an enhanced DBS check.

Advice to Management

Allow your staff to contact you! Also had the same feedback frequently from customers that they are frustrated that they can't speak to anyone. Allow professionals to see what they are digging up for in terms of each job to allow them to only select jobs they are comfortable with. Provide more detailed feedback. The information you send out is often Americanised and not applicable to your UK business.