Handy Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 9 November, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Handy rating system need improvement" (in 46 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 39 reviews)

"Short sighted"

I worked at Handy full-time

Pros

Company is work hard and customer experience and operations are evolving very quickly so you can see change happening.

Cons

Lack of office culture. Constantly shifting in staff. No investment in employees.

2. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, and exciting opportunities!

Cons

I can't think of any negatives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Fun, Seriously Fun"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well, I met some of my favorite people during my tenure at Handy. Those people are what kept me there for as long as I stayed. I can also say that everyone I worked with was very smart, talented, and inspiring.
    My job was not at all stressful. I never took work home with me.
    I did not work long hours.
    Catered lunches.

Cons

Where to begin! I think the main takeaway is that this company is painfully cheap. They don't give raises or promotions as often as one might expect, and when they do, the increase is so pitiful it has no impact on net pay. I personally know an employee who has been with the company for 1.6 years without a single pay increase. The company also presents itself as a marketplace, with equal attention and respect given to its contractors and customers, however that is entirely untrue. Customers come first, and every contractor on the platform can feel it.
    They put together an achingly out-out-touch and awkward culture deck, "modeled after Netflix" but if you pull up each deck side-by-side, you'll see that they are lost. Every executive at this company is a rich kid who doesn't understand and will never seek to understand the needs of the less privileged.
    They've outsourced most of their Customer Experience down south, and it's clear they won't do anything to foster or develop any of the remaining employees in New York-they are forcing them to quit.

Advice to Management

Treat people better. Stop loudly playing foosball all day. Pay people a reasonable, living wage. Don't proudly tout yourself as a "frugal company." It is not a good look. Don't pretend to be connected with your employees. You aren't, and it's embarrassing for you.

4. "Great Experience!"

Pros

I've been working for this compny for more than two years now; it's been a wonderfull experience working as a part-time with them. The amazing thing is how I created my work schedule that allowed me to stay focus on my job as well as enhancing my productivity. The management crews are amazing set of people that perfectly understand how to render an amazing results oriented administrative support that will definitely makes you oustanding. It's a sure company for recommendation any day!

Cons

The couple of years I've spent with them have been great. For cons, there's none! Only haters can say that.

Advice to Management

Please just keep on supporting all your workers as the espire to breakthrough!

"great team to work with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I create my work schedule and it allows me focus on the job and achieve positive results every time. management fully understands how to run the business and the team I work with is exceptional

Cons

no cons. there is none

Advice to Management

keep the good work going

6. "Like Family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am currently working here. I really enjoyed . Just like my family. I get some good friends and some great experience. I had some financial problem last year. But now everything is fine. That only due to my job. Thanks

Cons

Only enemies can tell cons about handy. I am working here. After some years, I hope I will havent cons for Handy.

Advice to Management

Really great to working with you. Good advisable team

7. "Experience"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

The company gives us work flexibility which I want most from my company. The salary range of the company is fair and it gives us other facilities too. The work environment is good and helpful.

Cons

Sometimes the work pressure is too high. It makes us feel anxious. The customers behave well but sometimes they do not keep that behavior.

Advice to Management

researching the potential market and local demographic will be key in determining the type of cleaning business you should start. If you’re planning on running a domestic cleaning venture you’ll need to ensure that people in the local area are financially able to pay for someone else to do their domestic chores, likewise for a commercial business are there enough viable contracts to win? Market research will also be key in determining your prices.

"Couldn't imagine a worst first job."

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I met here were awesome and are still my friends to this day. They provide free food which saves you more money than you'd think.

Cons

The management is awful. The platform for how they treat their cleaning professionals is literally immoral. This company screwed all of it's employees out of paid time, medical expenses, lied about actual end dates. They will do anything slimy they can for an extra buck. Mass public firings were common. This job was a nightmare. I learned more about binge drinking and who was sleeping with who then I ever did about what made this company successful. People actually would get wasted and have sex in the office. It's like working in Animal House.

Advice to Management

Stop while you're ahead.

"We're all sitting ducks"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

Pros

We get to listen to the CEO talk about how the company is doing such great things for the world every day while he simultaneously plans the next mass firing of employees.

Cons

This place is dark. They can't hold on to a single manager or VP for more than a year. They all leave, and not for a better offer necessarily, but to work anywhere else but Handy. It's clear that no one can work with the CEO and he could care less about the people that made this company what it is. (Unless you went to HBS..they can do no wrong)

So many new senior managers come in with a high spirit, "I'm-going-to-turn-this-place-around" attitude and then slowly but surely find out that there's nothing they can do because the CEO refuses to give up control.

Compensation is so bad. Bonuses are given to a select few. It's someone's full time job right now to automate their own responsibilities so that they can get laid off. They're called Operations Associates.

There is zero room for growth. None.

Advice to Management

You've already been given advice. And then those people left because you couldn't deliver.

"Best. Job Ever"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, co-workers are amazing, great culture and great set of values, all of which is reflected in their workings with clients throughout the operations process.

Cons

The last couple years the company has changed. Anyone here longer than a couple years has seen it. Our leadership team does an incredible job of navigating through change. I personally love new challenges. It pushes me to be my best and always improving.

Advice to Management

Happy employees equal happy customers. Remember who got you to this point in the company's success. If you leave them behind, you will melt into just another solar company fading into the background of this saturated market.