Handy Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 9 November, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Handy rating system need improvement" (in 46 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 39 reviews)

1. "On it's way"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Handy, like any startup, has definitely had its fair share of growing pains over the past few years. Like any company thats building a brand new market, sometimes things wont always be perfect in the first shot, but the people here always looking to make things better and learn from their mistakes.

Of all the startups I've worked for, I've never met a more intelligent, dedicated and passionate group of individuals as the leadership team here at Handy. It is a very data driven environment and they are constantly looking to improve on every metric, big and small.

Keep up the positive momentum!

Cons

It can be frustrating when you try out things and fail and have to go back to the drawing board. But having a team of supportive coworkers definitely helps.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in hiring the best and brightest and living up to the company goals will follow.

2. "Exciting and veteran startup poised for big things"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- talented and smart management team that is constantly assessing the business and keeping us moving towards the right goals
    - well-documented training and onboarding for new recruits
    - open and transparent environment for decision-making
    - big, metric-moving projects waiting to be tackled
    - supportive and nurturing culture; everyone is down to teach + chat with you
    - fun company outings, hackathons, and celebrations
    - typical startup food perks (breakfast, lunch, dinner, insane snack pantry + water/soda options)
    - competitive salary for NYC
    - excellent location (can't beat the Madison Square Park area - close to all the train lines)
    - as a leading marketplace startup in its category, Handy faces a huge range of unique and tough problems. The learning never stops.

Cons

Handy runs very fast-paced and is constantly sourcing feedback from our customers, service professionals, advisors, and internal data to keep the company and product pointed in the right direction. That means shifting initiatives a few times a year to make sure we're always working on the right problems. The rapid change can be unsettling but perfect for someone who loves facing new challenges. This startup breathes the hustling vibe of true New Yorkers.

Advice to Management

Keep making culture a priority!

3. "Fun Startup to Work"

Former Employee - Online-Marketing in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Online-Marketing in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn a lot. Work environment. Many colleagues became friends. Very driven company to work with.

Cons

Very high pressure once in a while as company aims for very high goals.

"Product Design"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Everyone is incredibly smart and friendly. Lots of opportunity for creativity. Whole company works relatively quickly and efficiently. Free catered lunch and dinner.

Cons

Deadlines can be tight, sometimes you will need to stay later in order to finish work

5. "CHANGED MY LIFE 😆"

Current Employee - Housekeeper in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the flexibility, compensation, and experience. I was able to quit my job and make 2x the amount I was making at a lawfirm.

Cons

Sometime you do get challenging homes but with the right products it can make your life so much easier. Keep a good stock of what you need on hand.

Advice to Management

Some bonuses for tolls would be helpful. Example NJ & L.I

"Operations Associate"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were free lunches every day, and I did make some genuine friendships working in the office.

Cons

There is very little communication, and employees are not respected. I was told to my face I was going to be reassigned off of the project I was working on less than a week before I was let go. There is very little in terms of employee support and growth.

My team was often the scapegoats for a lot of internal operational issues with the company, and was even once directly blamed for stalling the company's growth. The culture of the company is a fairly typical fraternal start-up culture, and although there was a substantial improvement from the infamous Gawker article about Handy's culture, there still was a misguided attempt to have a frat-house environment in the center of the office with kegs, a very disruptive foosball table, and music.

Also, my pay was incorrect for almost a whole year because my manager did not care enough to ensure I was getting paid for the correct number of hours.

"Laid Off"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

The pros were basically due to being a remote worker. I enjoyed meeting new people and giving presentations. I liked the people I worked with.

Cons

Unorganized and inexperienced staff in positions of high responsibility. Faulty business model caused a lot of issues that were hard to resolve. I don't think the company was created with the intention of lasting very long.

"It's okay"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Time consuming work. Free food.

Cons

Too time consuming. Food is not that good.

Advice to Management

Good luck!

"Good temporary job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Fast-paced. You get right to work.

Cons

Instability, I was never sure if my position would be eliminated or not...eventually it was.

Advice to Management

Keep laying the foundation for a good work culture.

10. "Best Team I Could Ask For"

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What isn't great about these guys. Free lunch and snacks. Incredibly smart and resourceful people to work with. Best encounter of teamwork I've ever experienced. I grew to love my coworkers.

Cons

None at all. Managment does a great job emphasizing goals without putting their staff down.

Advice to Management

Let's start out the season with a brainstorm of ideas of how the street team could hit higher sales. Focus heavily on residential areas. Have an overload of promo materials ready to give out. Everybody loves free stuff.

Overall, ask the native New Yorker's how handy could get people's attention. :D