Handy Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You also get to meet new people" (in 24 reviews)

• "I would definitely recommend if you want to work part time for a decent salary" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "I don't like the rating system at all" (in 48 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best company"

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits - unlimited vacation as long as you’re getting your work done, catered lunch and dinner, decent health care, impressive maternity leave policy, cool co-workers.

Upper management that’s accessible - the founders sit with the rest of the company and are both super down to earth and friendly.

Acknowledgement for your hard work - the company is big on giving a round of applause where it’s due.

Pressure for managers to hold frequent 1:1’s / quarterly “reviews”

Fast paced and challenging - we work on projects quickly and get to work with new groups on from project to project. Never a dull moment.

Frequent team dinners / lunches

Bright future for Handy

Cons

Haven’t come across any big cons beyond feeling a little tired every now and then but that’s at every job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing.

2. "Flexible schedule"

Former Contractor - Professional Cleaner
    Former Contractor - Professional Cleaner

I worked at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Weekly pay with direct deposit and the pay was nice also. Pick when you would like to work and time.

Cons

Clients cancelled a lot and no benefits

"Do not work here - company is going nowhere fast bc of poor management"

I worked at Handy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like companies that aren't growing where nobody is held accountable for their results, definitely work here! If Oisin and Umang like you, you can keep failing upwards as long as this backwards company stays solvent.

People have gotten promoted all the way up to senior leadership despite their projects consistently flopping (just google cheapo cleaning, like seriously) because anyone who's any good left this sinking ship long ago.

It's pretty clear that senior leadership should've stayed for their second year at business school instead of dropping out.

Cons

Company is not growing. Your equity will be worth nothing. Company treats the cleaners and handymen on the platform like they're not even human.

The only reason the company is still solvent is that the legal team and their lobbyists have succeeded in getting the courts to effectively pay cleaners below min wage as quasi-legal independent contractors.

As an engineer, it was very frustrating to have extremely little input in the business side of things when it was clear that the people in charge of the business side had no clue what they were doing.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.

Stop sacrificing the long-term for short-term profits.

Stop lying to your employees to get them in the door.

1 Mar, 2019 – SVP of People

Thank you for taking the time to write this. The issues you raise are concerning and inconsistent with our core values and what I see each day in the office. Particularly on the engineering side... More

"A Great Place to Advance Yourself"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I interviewed with a number of companies on my way to accepting my role here, and Handy stood out immediately with the efficiency, honesty, and thoroughness of their recruiting process. After a first email with them, I got on the phone with the recruiter the next day, and scheduled a follow-up call with the department head the following day, where we discussed the role in detail. They gave me a case study to give a presentation on the following week. The project was highly relevant to my role, which gave me confidence that they knew exactly what kind of person they were looking to hire. Handy flew me out to New York for a final round of interviews with the exec team the week after that. I accepted an offer shortly thereafter. The whole process took about 3 weeks altogether.

Since I've joined, I've noticed that the efficiency and honesty I enjoyed during my recruiting process are seen throughout this company. Everyone is incredibly bright, projects get off the ground fast, and there really aren't a lot of politics with my work. The open communication here makes all of this possible. Every company should strive for more of this.

Cons

As far as startups go, people tend to work longer hours here than other places. I'd say this is more of a result of the very high bar of expectations rather than a culture of "last person in the office is the most impressive" though.

So, not necessarily a bad thing -- for me this was actually a refreshing change of pace, and necessary for my personal career development. But if you aren't willing to have some longer days than you're used to every now and then, it could be a con for you.

Advice to Management

Please keep the bar high in your recruiting process -- the thing that sold me on Handy when I was interviewing was how smart everyone was that I talked to.

5. "Companies with development potential and long-term cooperation"

Former Employee - Sales in Balneario Los Angles (Argentina)
    Former Employee - Sales in Balneario Los Angles (Argentina)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I came to Handy to work on the recommendation of my friends. The environment here is really good. Free lunch and dinner. Solve the problem of eating for single people like me. Leaders are also very friendly to their employees. If you are willing to work hard, the company will give you the opportunity to cultivate potential employees, which is a company worth looking forward to.

Cons

Work is tiring, leaders need to be more concerned about the physical and mental health of employees

Advice to Management

Different employees have different personalities, and leaders should treat them differently. Only in this way can the relationship between employees and leaders be more harmonious.

"Very Different Experiences Depending On Team"

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Handy full-time

Pros

Team events. You're encouraged to get to know the people you work with, even if you are not part of the same business team. The company itself experienced an enormous amount of growth which felt exciting to be a part of. The meals and snacks are appreciated--even if it is just a way to keep you in the office working. Depending on which team you work with and who your supervisor is, you may find yourself working with someone who would provide you many opportunities to learn. There are several really great middle managers and the ceo is friendly while serious and brilliant.

Cons

I'm sure the company and management has advanced and changed some of their policies since I ended my employment there, but a few of the things I disliked that ultimately led me to seek other employment centered around the internal culture.
    I had fun getting to know coworkers at happy hour events, but there was a heavy drinking culture.
    There were expectations to be available near round the clock.
    There were evident office politics and a hierarchy based on favoritism. I did not work within customer experience, but the hierarchy consistently put customer service associates down when they were some of the hardest working and highest contributing members to the company, which was at times hard to witness. I'll never forget having a conversation where I learned how little they made but yet how much was expected of them. While most of the company can enjoy and afford to take time off for vacationing, that was not a reality for CX.
    Finally, the lack of clear advancement and learning opportunities outside of favoritism was an issue I knew I did not want to attempt to ride out.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on transparency. The all hands meetings were great, however more education should be provided on what metrics actually are and how they are computed and why they are focused on would help more employees from more areas of the company get a better understanding of company goals. Find a way to share the bigger picture and vision management as a whole has for the next 6 months, even if perhaps it isn't likely to be obtained, so that more people understand why certain goals would lead to it. Encourage managers and subordinates alike to treat every peer with respect and on an equal playing field personally, that rudeness or cliques will not be tolerated, and handle employee issues or those behaving with a superiority complex very quickly.

17 Jan, 2019 – SVP of People

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We are continuously working to cultivate an open, transparent, and results driven environment (“Data Beats Opinion!”) where everyone has... More

"Terrific team & company true to its values"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Positive culture focused on growth. Super smart, driven team - really talented people, great place to learn from others and easy to be inspired by their performance. Data driven decision-making gives transparency on company-wide priorities. Established startup stage allows for the best of both worlds - still a lot of room for growth, but core processes and infrastructure in place, enabling more effective execution. Strong benefits package and family leave - plus perks like lunch and group outings.

Cons

To be successful at Handy you must have an intellectually curious & analytical nature and be comfortable in a fast-paced environment.

"Development, Performance, & Sushi at Handy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Handy has the chance to make a real impact from day #1. The work culture values personal growth and development with team members being given big problems to solve early on. In an environment obsessed with data, Handy is fiercely a-political which means that the best idea wins and you are evaluated by your impact. It is a place filled with amazing people who take what they do very seriously, but not themselves. Also love sushi day.

Cons

There is not a single role that doesn’t require you to roll up your sleeves, and because you are assessed by your output you need to perform. Not everyone is up for such a performance driven culture, so could be a shift for anyone coming from a different environment. And it is unclear why Dos Toros hasn’t made a lunch appearance in a long, long while.

"You'll love it if you're a Harvard MBA"

I worked at Handy full-time

Pros

"Free" lunch and snacks (really just included in salary) are very convenient.

Some smart/fun people in the office.

Company has desire and means to grow really fast so new projects can spin up really quickly.

Cons

I personally was lied to to about my role to get me to accept, and I found out later that this is a regular, well-known practice at Handy--tell them anything to get them to say yes, then switch things up on day 1.

Unbelievable cliqueyness around and insistence to hire Harvard and other Ivy MBAs (despite the fact that both the founders dropped out of HBS). Clear internal hierarchy and preferential treatment for those folks.

CEO is completely unwilling to either cut or educate senior team members who don't know what they're doing, and HR is unwilling or unable to provide effective management training to those people.

Advice to Management

Give up this Harvard obsession. Be willing to either educate or fire those managers who make their team members miserable and unproductive, instead of just "failing up" and promoting/shuffling them to other roles.

14 Nov, 2018 – SVP of People

Thank you for taking the time to write this. While this review is not representative of our culture, the points you bring up are concerning and I will share your words with our management team. It... More

"Too many associate directors and above"

Pros

Free food
    You will learn a lot, but not always what you think

Cons

Management priorities squeezing the most they can out of both employees and customers.

15 Oct, 2018 – SVP of People

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and providing us with feedback. We pride ourselves on our culture, our people, and the development opportunities we have for them. If you have... More