Handy Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You also get to meet new people" (in 24 reviews)

• "I would definitely recommend if you want to work part time for a decent salary" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "I don't like the rating system at all" (in 48 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best company"

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits - unlimited vacation as long as you’re getting your work done, catered lunch and dinner, decent health care, impressive maternity leave policy, cool co-workers.

Upper management that’s accessible - the founders sit with the rest of the company and are both super down to earth and friendly.

Acknowledgement for your hard work - the company is big on giving a round of applause where it’s due.

Pressure for managers to hold frequent 1:1’s / quarterly “reviews”

Fast paced and challenging - we work on projects quickly and get to work with new groups on from project to project. Never a dull moment.

Frequent team dinners / lunches

Bright future for Handy

Cons

Haven’t come across any big cons beyond feeling a little tired every now and then but that’s at every job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing.

"A Great Place to Advance Yourself"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I interviewed with a number of companies on my way to accepting my role here, and Handy stood out immediately with the efficiency, honesty, and thoroughness of their recruiting process. After a first email with them, I got on the phone with the recruiter the next day, and scheduled a follow-up call with the department head the following day, where we discussed the role in detail. They gave me a case study to give a presentation on the following week. The project was highly relevant to my role, which gave me confidence that they knew exactly what kind of person they were looking to hire. Handy flew me out to New York for a final round of interviews with the exec team the week after that. I accepted an offer shortly thereafter. The whole process took about 3 weeks altogether.

Since I've joined, I've noticed that the efficiency and honesty I enjoyed during my recruiting process are seen throughout this company. Everyone is incredibly bright, projects get off the ground fast, and there really aren't a lot of politics with my work. The open communication here makes all of this possible. Every company should strive for more of this.

Cons

As far as startups go, people tend to work longer hours here than other places. I'd say this is more of a result of the very high bar of expectations rather than a culture of "last person in the office is the most impressive" though.

So, not necessarily a bad thing -- for me this was actually a refreshing change of pace, and necessary for my personal career development. But if you aren't willing to have some longer days than you're used to every now and then, it could be a con for you.

Advice to Management

Please keep the bar high in your recruiting process -- the thing that sold me on Handy when I was interviewing was how smart everyone was that I talked to.

3. "Companies with development potential and long-term cooperation"

Former Employee - Sales in Balneario Los Angles (Argentina)
    Former Employee - Sales in Balneario Los Angles (Argentina)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I came to Handy to work on the recommendation of my friends. The environment here is really good. Free lunch and dinner. Solve the problem of eating for single people like me. Leaders are also very friendly to their employees. If you are willing to work hard, the company will give you the opportunity to cultivate potential employees, which is a company worth looking forward to.

Cons

Work is tiring, leaders need to be more concerned about the physical and mental health of employees

Advice to Management

Different employees have different personalities, and leaders should treat them differently. Only in this way can the relationship between employees and leaders be more harmonious.

"Terrific team & company true to its values"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Positive culture focused on growth. Super smart, driven team - really talented people, great place to learn from others and easy to be inspired by their performance. Data driven decision-making gives transparency on company-wide priorities. Established startup stage allows for the best of both worlds - still a lot of room for growth, but core processes and infrastructure in place, enabling more effective execution. Strong benefits package and family leave - plus perks like lunch and group outings.

Cons

To be successful at Handy you must have an intellectually curious & analytical nature and be comfortable in a fast-paced environment.

"Development, Performance, & Sushi at Handy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Handy has the chance to make a real impact from day #1. The work culture values personal growth and development with team members being given big problems to solve early on. In an environment obsessed with data, Handy is fiercely a-political which means that the best idea wins and you are evaluated by your impact. It is a place filled with amazing people who take what they do very seriously, but not themselves. Also love sushi day.

Cons

There is not a single role that doesn’t require you to roll up your sleeves, and because you are assessed by your output you need to perform. Not everyone is up for such a performance driven culture, so could be a shift for anyone coming from a different environment. And it is unclear why Dos Toros hasn’t made a lunch appearance in a long, long while.

"Great place to work"

Pros

Very innovative company, relies on great technology

Cons

Common downsides of a startup

"Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well organized interior designed homes. Warm personalities of home-owners/apartment renters.

Cons

Depletion of equipment. (Reordered Online)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Hasn't lost its entrepreneurial edge"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Empowered to make decisions and drive action across the organization. Company focus on personal development and growth. Management and peers open to new ideas. Fast-paced, ever-changing, company has tons of growth potential

Cons

Very direct communication style. Can get talked over easily. Organization can feel siloed depending on the group. Everyone stretched thin

Advice to Management

Find times to give positive feedback to the company outside of all hands

"A Fun Challenge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging work in a fun environment. Plenty of autonomy and freedom to work in the manner you want, provided you get your work done and focus on targets. It's a goal driven company with little to no bureaucracy. The liberal vacation policy and free lunch/dinners don't hurt either.

Cons

Less formal structures for onboarding, so a lot of initiative and persistence is required to get comfortable. Typical hours start a little later than 9 & end after 6, so early risers/finishers might have a hard transition.

Advice to Management

An assigned mentor for new hires might be helpful - someone who the new hire could reach out to at any point to ask questions, or steer the new hire to the best resource.

"Incredible learning experience"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of responsibility
    Exposure to senior leadership
    Amazing growth curve - learned how to solve problems, pull and analyze data, manage people

Cons

Startups require commitment and hours - it's not a 9-5 so if you're not ready to dedicate yourself, it's not going to be for you

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the best talent there is