Handy Reviews

Updated Sep 21, 2020

4.6
Handy CEO  Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan
Pros
  • "3 - After 3 months working as a cleaning I got very good returned customers and the job got easy(in 47 reviews)

• "Flexible schedule is the only pro(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Cleaners pay A LOT of "service fees"(in 91 reviews)

• "The Customer cancellation rate is extremely high(in 69 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work that cares about your success"

Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Handy values you as an employee and has many things implemented to remind you. This is a great place to work filled with many intelligent and fun people.

Cons

No real cons, I have no complaints about my last year at Handy. They even handled the transition to working remotely with grace.

Continue reading

"World class recruiting team and incredible learning experience"

Current Employee - Growth Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time for less than a year

Pros

The greatest aspect of working at Handy is the people - everyone is smart and motivated. It's a fast paced environment where you can make a real difference. If large scale opportunities and growth are important to you, Handy is a fantastic place to work. The growth team here is the perfect blend of data analysis, experimentation, creativity, and nuanced decision making.

Cons

No cons that I can think of at this time

"Correct"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bridgeport, OR

I have been working at Handy part-time for less than a year

Pros

A quite easy job won't be too hard to adjust and great people

Cons

Sometimes it is long hours

"Great Recruiting Process, Strong Culture, Lots of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Recruiter really built a relationship with me. We didnt find the right role the first or the second time but we continued to stay connected and eventually find a great fit. - Team is very smart and motivated but still human which has been great. - Everyone is open and collaborative and wants to solve the problems that matter. - Lots of opportunity to make an impact on the business quickly and long-term

Cons

- A bit short-sighted operationally which seems to be a hold over for start-up fears - P&L org structure sometimes blocks efficiency but they are willing to work around it when needed.

5. "Was a good place"

4.0
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Handy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lunches, games, outings, drinks, happy hour

Cons

low guidance, conditions, upper management.

6. "Solid Interview Process / Strong Engineering Org / Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Engineering Team Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Simple & Interview Process: 1) Initial Call 2) Technical Phone Screen 3) On-site (Coding, Algorithms, Culture, Design, Behavioral) 4) Offer Letter The company was ready and able to accommodate each step within 2-3 days of the previous one, but allowed me to take more time to prepare as needed. I had the onsite on a Friday afternoon and the offer was sent in writing by the following Wednesday. Concise Onboarding / Ramp: Unlike some of my previous roles, the onboarding was clear and organized. The DevOps team has built infrastructure that has made this entire process seamless. I was able to become productive and begin contributing to larger feature development within the first two sprints. Culture: The people at Handy are some of the most dedicated and brilliant people I've met in my career, but beyond that -- they are simply great people to be around. Through our various events ranging from happy hours to game nights, I've come to know that Handy tends to hire interesting and fun people -- that also just happen to be at the top of their field. Growth: Product Engineering process is very data-driven and robust, which has allowed the company to scale and in turn providing many opportunities for new technology solutions and career growth. Many roles are to be filled from internal promotions rather than outside hires, which ensures that our engineers have room to grow not only their skills, but also their careers.

Cons

Learning Curve: With many experienced engineers building complex features and an expansive ecosystem of microservices, there can be a tough learning curve at first when you join Handy -- but with the great support provided by the Engineering Org, this usually is not a problem. Pace: Since we are very data-driven and methodical with our Product Engineering approach, Handy is able to be very proactive about targeting & handling issues that will deter our continued growth. With the techniques and design approaches we employ, we strive to get outsized results with our limited time, which results in a slightly faster pace -- meaning that we tend to have a faster workflow around understanding the success of our experiments and can quickly pivot without spending too much, in case of any gaps. This might take some getting used to for engineers who have not experienced a similar process.

"Small group of people doing big things"

4.0
    Current Employee - Manager, Strategy & Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time for less than a year

Pros

- great onboarding experience, thoughtful and structure - very quality people, both personally and professionally - tight knit, good culture - pursuing all kinds of growth, outlook is very positive

Cons

- lots of micro-management without reason (probably more specific to manager, not necessarily the organization - not an issue currently, but can foresee work/life balance being an issue in the future

8. "Built for Love!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Inclusive/diverse - Handy provided me a great opportunity to grow my career in a new industry. -Seamless interview process where the Recruiters really care about finding your ideal fit - clear expectations and transparency throughout the process. -Fully supported through and through - I have never felt isolated in my position! -High ability to grow your skill set in your role - I have been able to fully contribute, and expand into new projects within 1 month of working!

Cons

Handy has been nothing short of a great experience for me -- no cons to report!

9. COVID-19

"Great, Caring, Transparent Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Consistent check-ins with employees to make sure everyone is doing okay and can remain efficient/productive/happy through the pandemic. -Transparent & honest about goals, achievements, challenges, thoughts, and new processes, especially related to how we are handling the pandemic. -Everyone is celebrated. The company definitely acknowledges peoples' hard work and successes no matter how small. -Super smart co-workers. Really fun to work alongside of such hardworking, passionate people.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Continue reading
  10. "Rocketship of a Company - jump onboard and buckle up!"

Current Employee - Director of Partnerships in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time for less than a year

Pros

- As a new hire this past year, I was very welcomed from my Day #1 at Handy, to weeks into the new role with a thorough onboarding map - Very intelligent culture that will challenge you - really! - You are hired to do amazing things - and get to go build what you were hired to go do! - Very positive work life/team/culture, working with people who really care about the mission, who push each other to be better and do better - Catered in meals and dinners daily to HQ office is incredible - CEO self directs and leads the frequent All Hands meetings, I am always given opportunities to hear everything going on with the greater business - Recruiting and Hiring process was faster than any other company I have worked with - they def hire the best people - but the bar is set high and the runway is short in the recruiting process (which is great but very challenging) - a very defined culture that is lived out loud very often - Camp Handy!

Cons

- with less than a year at the HQ business, can't really make any subjective Cons about the company of the business -consider finding a way to better publicly recognize peers on the intranet to easily have an avenue to thank other workers, to recognize great talent, have an incentive program tied to this recognition - for business travel - have a corporate account to pay direct for airlines and hotels, and have employees pay for all other expenses and incidentals - can't think of much more to add

Found 121 reviews