Handy Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.3
Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I would definitely recommend if you want to work part time for a decent salary (in 22 reviews)

• Been working with Handy for a bit, and i love having the freedom of choosing my own hours and the pay is good (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The rating system should be done away with don't see the point in having a (in 42 reviews)

• No way to get in touch with customer service (in 33 reviews)

1. "The best of housekeeping"

Pros

Ability to make your own schedule

Cons

Sometimes the clients have big Dogs but overall its great

2. "Greedy and liars"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

None. None. None none. NO PROS FOR ANYTHING

Cons

Pay under. Forced customers in you, charge you a fee if paid on time

Advice to Management

Tell the truth we do all the work why should you get paid 75 percent and we get 25 percent. A 4 bedroom and 4 bathroom plus kitchen and living room for 3 hours and get paid 45.00 dollars it’s ridiculous I have work with you guys for a year I haven’t seen those 4,000 dollars you so claim we make a month. Not only you forced weird and perverts customers and when we complaint you charge us a fee for leaving a uncustorble place.

3. "Handy pro"

Current Employee - Teacher in Brockport, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Brockport, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pick your own jobs if app works

Cons

Direct deposit failed, app failure, horrible communication. They will bug you to no end by calls and notification, but you can’t talk to anyone if you don’t get paid.

Advice to Management

You stink.

"Not the worst boss I've had, but close."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, but as economics class taught us, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    Some of the engineers are great people, and at least one of the managers is honest, has a measure of humility, and is not a chode, but just the one that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, they weren't actually my manager.

Cons

The uppers very obviously pay to have positive reviews added on both the app store and the google play store. They also very obviously have had some of those managers (who are actively engaged in looking as good as possible to the CEO) add glowing reviews on here as well. No one below manager level would give a 5 star review.

Handy has been bleeding talent as people find more interesting and positive work where the stock options are more likely to matter.

The hours are just about always long/late, and if you actually take a normal 10 minute break, you're seen as uncommitted, addressed by your manager, and it's a black mark.

It doesn't matter how much you've actually contributed, just how good you looked doing 'something' and how much credit you've taken.

No matter how many times people bring up the fact that both providers and customers are getting screwed and are unhappy and we ought to think about how we could better serve them, the only conversation the uppers have is how to better control them, pay the providers less money, collect more fees, and squeeze more out of customers.

"Distasteful and outraged"

I worked at Handy part-time

Pros

Money is good if you are a GO-Getter for getting fast cash on hand

Cons

Employee robbery... Employee robbery!
    Considers mainly their majority of their rude/ungrateful customers and not the workers
    Half of their clienteles lie about what they want to be done/where they live all because they do not want to pay prices handy charges
    Ridiculous charges for certain things when it come to their employees

Advice to Management

Pay employees fairly- instead of robbing them blind! Handy really acts like hey are actually doing the hard labor. They literally take majority of their employees hard earned money

Handy Response

16 Oct, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Did something happen with a recent customer? We'd love to help out in any way we can. Please contact us at team@handy.com, if you'd like us to look over your payment history.

"A Fun Challenge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging work in a fun environment. Plenty of autonomy and freedom to work in the manner you want, provided you get your work done and focus on targets. It's a goal driven company with little to no bureaucracy. The liberal vacation policy and free lunch/dinners don't hurt either.

Cons

Less formal structures for onboarding, so a lot of initiative and persistence is required to get comfortable. Typical hours start a little later than 9 & end after 6, so early risers/finishers might have a hard transition.

Advice to Management

An assigned mentor for new hires might be helpful - someone who the new hire could reach out to at any point to ask questions, or steer the new hire to the best resource.

8. "Incredible learning experience"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of responsibility
    Exposure to senior leadership
    Amazing growth curve - learned how to solve problems, pull and analyze data, manage people

Cons

Startups require commitment and hours - it's not a 9-5 so if you're not ready to dedicate yourself, it's not going to be for you

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the best talent there is

9. "On it's way"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Handy, like any startup, has definitely had its fair share of growing pains over the past few years. Like any company thats building a brand new market, sometimes things wont always be perfect in the first shot, but the people here always looking to make things better and learn from their mistakes.

Of all the startups I've worked for, I've never met a more intelligent, dedicated and passionate group of individuals as the leadership team here at Handy. It is a very data driven environment and they are constantly looking to improve on every metric, big and small.

Keep up the positive momentum!

Cons

It can be frustrating when you try out things and fail and have to go back to the drawing board. But having a team of supportive coworkers definitely helps.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in hiring the best and brightest and living up to the company goals will follow.

10. "Exciting and veteran startup poised for big things"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- talented and smart management team that is constantly assessing the business and keeping us moving towards the right goals
    - well-documented training and onboarding for new recruits
    - open and transparent environment for decision-making
    - big, metric-moving projects waiting to be tackled
    - supportive and nurturing culture; everyone is down to teach + chat with you
    - fun company outings, hackathons, and celebrations
    - typical startup food perks (breakfast, lunch, dinner, insane snack pantry + water/soda options)
    - competitive salary for NYC
    - excellent location (can't beat the Madison Square Park area - close to all the train lines)
    - as a leading marketplace startup in its category, Handy faces a huge range of unique and tough problems. The learning never stops.

Cons

Handy runs very fast-paced and is constantly sourcing feedback from our customers, service professionals, advisors, and internal data to keep the company and product pointed in the right direction. That means shifting initiatives a few times a year to make sure we're always working on the right problems. The rapid change can be unsettling but perfect for someone who loves facing new challenges. This startup breathes the hustling vibe of true New Yorkers.

Advice to Management

Keep making culture a priority!

"A bad place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch. This has a five word minimum so I'm writing this extra sentence.

Cons

Handy is the worst place I've worked for and I once worked at a shady gift basket company where I was bitten by a brown recluse that resulted in me going to the emergency room.

The pay starts low for Customer Experience and stops there.

It seems that Dylan (whom I have nothing but good things to say about, he's great!) would genuinely like for his team to be properly compensated, but the founders aren't interested in prospering growth and creating long term careers for their employees. Recognizing this, many of the people who have been with the company for years have left.

There are a lot of questionable things behind the scenes, namely asking employees to write glowing app store/Google reviews and finding new and inventive ways to create penalties for customers.

Advice to Management

Pay the CX team a fair wage