Handy Professional Cleaner Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Handy rating system need improvement" (in 46 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 39 reviews)

"Worst Work Experience of My Life"

Former Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Vancouver, BC
    Former Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Handy as a contractor

Pros

None of the pros I experienced have anything to do with Handy as a company. I worked for six months as a cleaner and have a university education. I enjoy physical work and didn't expect this to go on forever but I'm so shocked at the lack of integrity I quit earlier than I was planning. The pros have to do with the relationships I built with customers, which has nothing to do with Handy.

Cons

I, like other associates of Handy, often didn't get paid as promised and then had to go through hoops to get it sorted out. If you read the reviews of cleaners you aren't getting an accurate take on this company. I'll be telling everyone I know to steer clear from Handy. They cut off all customer service support to contractors in May 2015. You can't reach anyone on the phone anymore and I am no longer allowed to communicate with my city manager here in Vancouver, BC. Workers are left with an email support system. Even if you don't get paid and can't pay your rent, which happened to me, you have no recourse except to email and wait for their 48 hour response. If you're lucky and the associate is paying attention to your email message you might get something resolved. Otherwise you get a pat response with no resolution, which leave you with the option of emailing them again. Around and around you go with hopes of resolving your pay issues.

Bottom line, this is easily the worst company I've worked with in my entire life, and I'm 50. I would encourage everyone to read the reviews of actual staff who have worked inside the company, this is a perspective that cleaners can't give you. Cleaners are not associated with Handy staff anymore, so you will read the reviews of Handy staff and Handy cleaners, and they may as well being living on separate planets. They seem to be trying to disarm both customers and contractors by limiting service support, while hoping to rake in cash.

After they didn't pay me a promised bonus that amounted to $150, which put me short of my rent, I decided to quit. I don't have extra cash right now because my mom passed away and I was saddled with extra expenses as the executor of her will. I had factored the $150 into my
    very very tight budget to ensure my rent was paid and they never paid me. Handy shorted me $150 after I had worked two weeks straight with one day off in order to pay for expenses associated with my mother's passing.

I had had previous problems with Handy related to payment, but this was the last straw. I will wait to watch them go under, because this company has no integrity. You reap what you sow.

Advice to Management

God help you all.

"They are only Handy to themselves. Run Far Away from this scam."

Former Contractor - Independent Professional House Cleaner in North Vancouver, BC

I worked at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Do yourself a favor and heed this warning. If you must, work for them a month and then get out!!! The errors, dishonesty and lack of skills this company possesses will give you nothing but major stress in your life. Honestly, the only really good thing about this company was they supplied a lot clients and they did pay on time. But unless you work 7 days a week there is no way to get paid more than 500 a week (you will burn out fast doing this... I know, because I did.) out of which you need to pay for a cell phone with long distance charges and data, transportation (bus or your own personal car and increased insurance costs) , parking and your own cleaning supplies. The good reviews you will read on here are paid for, and arranged by, current customer service reps who offer free cleanings and other perks to their friends and family in exchange for BOGUS FAKE employee/contractor reviews written as if they work for the company when they don't. Read some of the Customer Service Rep reviews. Just try to find one review where the employee or contractor has been working with Handy for more than a year. The turnover in the company is huge. Most clients complain that they get a different cleaner every time because no one stays!!!

Cons

This company makes up the rules as they go along. Just like that "friend" in grade school did while playing monopoly!! The app that the customers download from google play clearly states that tips are included in the cost of cleaning services. Handy does not pay us tips and the customer thinks they dont need to tip us. Handy is currently being sued for this among many other things by former cleaners in a class action suit. Google it!! The rating system lacks integrity and accountability, meaning there is no way to know if it was really the customer or Handy themselves that are rating you low to keep your wages down. If your ratings fall below a certain number your hourly rate will also fall. Also, there is no way for you to make it right with the customer because you will never be told who rated you low or what the specific problem was. Just a generic they were not happy with the bathroom, or floor etc. Not even the type of floor. Was there footprints on the vacuum lines in the carpet or was the floor streaky or left unwashed?

My friend is still working for them until the end of June, if she can handle it that long. She just informed me that here is currently no way to contact the company if you have a problem with them or a problem at a job. The new contact number they have for the cleaners is non functional in the lower mainland of British Columbia.

Sometimes you arrive a job fully prepared to work, only to find out the client is not there, or worse yet, have the client turn you away stating that they cancelled this booking a week ago. Even if its not your fault, they only pay you for one hour at the lowest rate $15 and ONLY if you stay at the cancelled booking, parked outside, and check out after an hour. Meanwhile they pocket the cost of the entire job even if it was a 6 or 8 hour job, infuriating the customers. In fact Handy's rating on the Better Business Bureau is an F, Yes I said F, the lowest customer satisfaction rating that they can give. Then after that hour is up, you need to call them again, wait on hold for up to an hour and tell them you are leaving What a load of crap!!!

The app you are required to have on your phone to claim jobs, and check in and out of jobs keeps crashing. You can send a message from their app if you can get it to work, but don't expect a reply back for 48 hours if at all. You often wonder if the messages are even getting through. I sent 3 messages and still had NO REPLY nearly 2 weeks later. I ended up trying to address the concerns with a live agent the next time a customer cancelled at the door... why not I had an hour to sit there in the blazing sun in my car in front of the clients home with broken air conditioning. It was pointless and I could have spent my time better having a nap in my car. The contact numbers that they mask for the clients are long distance calls from Vancouver (more deductions off your pay). The company keeps changing it's policies and none of the customer service agents seem to get informed of the change so no one knows what is going on or what policy is in effect for sure. You can be told one thing by one CSA and told something completely different by another. You are told you will be paid for a cancellation and in reality you get nothing. When you complain, they say I am sorry you were misinformed. This feels a lot like lying to me.

The worst part about this company is it severely lacks integrity. They are dishonest to their contractors and to their clients, there is no cohesiveness and they don't know their right hand from their left. Most of the clients were customers that have never had a cleaner before and bought into one of the heavily marketed offers of a 2 hour house cleaning for $29 and are too cheap to pay for enough time to properly clean their house or apartment. All in all this company is only in it for the quick money. Once the money stops flowing, because the contractors wont work for them any more, or the customers get fed up with the crappy customer service, they will just abandon their professionals and clients and go start another scam.

Advice to Management

There is no point, you wont listen anyway. You are only in it for the money NOW, get your quick bucks and get out. You don't care about the future, if you did, you would not let all these negative reviews keep being posted, you would change policies to try to make us, your ability to make money, a little more secure and happier. Which would stop all the negative reviews. When this company fails (and it will, mark my words) you will just shut it down or find some poor dumb uneducated schmuck to buy it and go start another scam. However, with all these poor reviews I suspect your company will be worthless. You are despicable Mr CEO. You have very poor business ethics.

"Handy is trash... Oh... The irony"

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule... I guess, you'd basically have to take every appointment available and then some

Cons

Was fired because someone claimed a pair of shoes were missing. No notification, no investigation. I had been on the platform for two years and had over 725+ jobs completed with a 78% 5 star rating and this was my only source of income, which was not even sustainable. Dont waste your time. Customers are typically trash. Ridiculous expectations, but want to get the lowest time ( 2 hours) but expect a deep clean of an entire house. You can really only clean a studio thoroughly in two hours. The attitudes of a lot of these clients tend to heir on the side of entitled and rude. The way the rating system is tied in with your pay you're pretty much a slave to the customer and have to do their bidding and stay hours over to complete the job frequently. The customers typically do not care about your time and totally expect you to stay over the time they actually paid for. Dont even think about setting the correct expectation at the beginning of the appointment or in the middle or end by telling them that they did not pay for enough time, they'll almost always take offense to it and it will reflect in your tip (lack their of) and definitely in your rating for sure. Anything under a 5 star rating drastically negatively impacts your rating. Mind you, I'm probably the best at this, if not one of the very top in the Los Angeles area, Handy is trash. after transportation/parking/buying your own supplies/ and all the free work you'll have to give up, its just not worth it. When you do have problems in the field, you can only reach out via email, though they typically respond really quickly, they often write you off immediately and I have gotten the feeling on several occasions that they did not work to completely read and understand what I had wrote before they replied, often leading to a back and forth in which I an ultimately found to be correct by another employee that responds and continues the email thread later in the day. Handy is totally frustrating. Not sure if the opportunities are dropping off or if the market is flooded or both. Handy reserves the right to change their rules and operations as much as they want. Have seen much change since 2015, largely unfavorable to the workers. Used to get client information the night before, now you only get it hours before the appointment. The window for which you can cancel an appoiment without penalty has been drastically decreased, but a client can cancel on you up to a hour before and you'll only get 15, mind you that slot took up a real appointment i could've had that i expected days leading up to the appointment. Handy is trash on so many levels

Advice to Management

You should definitely open communication with the cleaners on the ground to see how you can improve. You have many weaknesses. Should have an office position that actually works in the field so that you can more easily relate and identify foreseeable problems and circumstances before they arise.

9 Dec, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for feedback we greatly appreciate your honesty and all the hard work you've done on the platform.

""SHEEP-N-WOLF'S CLOTHING"!!!!"

Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in New York, NY (US)
    Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You have the FREEDOM of choosing how many hrs you're willing to work.

Cons

Started out GREAT I signed up the first yr 2014, the found out from a client the APP say Handy is so convenient, don't have to get cash there's NO NEED TO TIP! but at that time there was no way 4 client to top Pros thru the APP.

Advice to Management

Respect your CLIENTS AND PROS THE PEOPLE WHO IF NOT 4 THEM THERE'D BE NO HANDY!!
     (ONE SIZE DOESN'T FIT ALL!) This is how Handy has chased a lot of customers and pros.

19 Apr, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We are actively working on ways to improve the experience for the working professionals on the Handy platform. We've made many improvements since 2014, including our tipping feature where customers... More

"Handy"

Current Contractor - Professional House Cleaner in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Contractor - Professional House Cleaner in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy meeting new people. I like the customers who take the time to have a conversation with you. It makes the job alot more enjoyable. The pay per hour goes up after so many jobs. You also get to make your own schedule and pick the jobs you want and the location.

Cons

You have to buy your own supplies and gas. I don't like the rating system at all. Some people complain about the smallest and dumbest things and it brings your ratings down. Sometimes you meet customers who are very rude and judgemental because you are cleaning their home. A job is a job no matter what it is. I don't like how we are not able to talk to management or email about a question

Advice to Management

Get rid of the ratings! And we would like to be able to communicate with you morr

"Yeah, Don't Fall For It"

Former Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Largely independent with booking your own jobs through the app and working on your own schedule.

Cons

Everything else. You're expected to provide your own transportation, which isn't reimbursed. You have to pay for your own cleaning supplies/tools. The jobs don't pay enough, and the listing system isn't specific enough for you to really know what you're getting into before you actually arrive. There's basically no way to contact management. There's a far-too-strict policy of letting someone go if their ratings drop below a certain percentage, with no investigation (or even letting the person know they were terminated, in my case).

Advice to Management

Don't grow faster than you can actually manage, managers. Exploiting desperate people for cheap labor doesn't look good on anyone.

14 Feb, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to ensure that everyone on our platform has positive experiences. We are unsure of why you did not see our standard email communication from us, however, we are... More

""platform for how they treat cleaning professionals is literally immoral""

Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to manage your own schedule. The end.I need 20 words minimum for this section, but there's literally no other pro.

Cons

Everything else. I have never met a company that cared so little about the people working on their platform. I've reached out NUMEROUS times, and I'm pretty sure the customer service team doesn't read the emails. They ALWAYS send the same generic copy/paste handy pro 101 response from the help section...every time. They'll also switch you to a location entirely different than what you selected 2 hours before your booking...by then you're basically screwed if you cancel because you'll get charged a fee. Giving you the option to select what area you want to work in as a joke...they'll literally send you anywhere...no matter how far outside the area you claimed it is. The rating system is also complete BS. Even with proof that a customer gave you a bad rating because you refused an unreasonable request (e.g someone asking me to WATCH THEIR KIDS because I finished a 2hr booking earlier). I completed ALL the tasks the customer was requesting. Customer was happy with service, but when I communicated that I can't perform services not listed on platform and that I'm not comfortable watching their kids while they ran errands bc I was done early...1 star rating...saying I left early.....they'll also let customers review you even though you didn't enter their homes to clean. If a customer is a no show for example...they STILL get asked you to review cleaners...how does that make sense!? Handy still charges customers who are a no show so guess where they'll take their frustration out on!!

My advice - GET OUT or hang in there until the next class action suit happens. It's happened before and it will happen again. Until then...do what you can to advocate for yourself! If a customer has an unreasonable request, show them check list on app and explain that you'll get in trouble for working outside of it. I know handy doesn't have our back, but PLEASE don't be afraid to firmly, but politely push back against requests you're not getting paid to do.

Advice to Management

Your cleaners are PEOPLE. NOT mules! Have a better check and balance system in place so we're not getting screwed every time by YOU and irrational customers.

"misleading"

Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner
    Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Flexible with schedualing. ........ Working around my family is a major plus because Im a single mother. So it's nice to be able to work and be with my children as well. Other than that I wouldnt be here. I yraded nursing for this.

Cons

I've been working with Handy going onto 4yrs now. I loved it for a while. The pay WAS awesome. I think that the payment method was working well. But after being payed at $20/hour for years all of a sudden they put a cap on my pay. My ratings are at 5.0 with 29 jobs. I should be getting paid $20 an hour instead of my pay was reduced to $15 an hour the same as a beginner or someone with very poor quality service. No matter how well I do Im getting paid $15 / hour because the deals offered to clients are rediculously low, thus Handy can't afford to continue paying me the $20/hour.

Advice to Management

If customers really want good quality service they will be willing to pay. Get rid of the cleaners who give us a bad reputation. That way our clients won't mind paying a fair price for a cleaner. This way Handy doesnt have to put their hands in my pocket to make up for the lack of professionalism these unexperienced cleaners have. Oh and it would be nice to be able to contact some one incase of an issue. I have been trying to get a proof of income letter since 4 months ago. When will I be getting my tax form. These are all important to continue a business. I try getting in contact with some one. It's nearly impossible.

"wow"

Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Awesome to be able to make my own schedule and the starting pay was great so I thought.

Cons

Customers rating affects our pay rate!? That is unfair when a great point was made that 9 out of ten people will rate "7" when they are happy with the service, but that "7" is taken negatively by the Handy platform and affects our pay rate. I work my behind off and have never had a complaint or constructive feedback which would be beneficial to Handy cleaners including myself. My score goes up and down but with no reason, I would like some feedback from customers on how we could improve to their expectations! I only receive a message stating the job has been edited due to, "conflicting job" could it be more specific please? I like doing a great job every time, feedback from the customers would ensure this and benefit Handy as well.

Advice to Management

Take time to listen to your contractors and see how we could work better together in order to ensure great quality of customer services and keep customers coming back for more!

"Avoid at all cost! !!!!!!!!!!!!"

Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Haha seriously, you think there's pros? Well I guess the initial hire and interview and "orientation" were fairly easy and seeing your own schedule seems great, but it's a two edged sword with this company.

Cons

Several. The portal rarely works correctly. They have stolen several hundred dollars from me, due to "withholdings" even though I haven't picked up a job in almost a month. I reported them and was immediately kicked off the platform. They will lie to you, to get your in the door. Then they slam you with the 150$ "cleaning kit" withholding, so you're starting a job in debt to your employer. Also they say we're employees, but then say we're contractors. If we're contractors then why did I have to attend a 3 hr orientation? If we're contractors then why do we have to greet guest in your vernacular? To me that sounds like a company motto. So are we employees of handy or contractors for handy? Also I had 15 reoccurring bookings that specifically requested me, but yet I haven't seen this so called "tip" that's included. I feel sorry for this company. I already called the bbb and the labor board and now I have to go to court over these people! Please please please stay away. This is a scam organization. I've lost so much, because of this company's dirty underhanded ways. Please don't be another victim of the "get money quick job"

Advice to Management

Start running your company like a real company. Respect your employees and customers. Have clear lines of communication between your employees and your regional crew. Awnser emails promptly. Have a phone number for professionals to be able to call. And for God's sake either call us employees or contractors. Toy don't get to have your cake and eat it to.