Handy Independent Contractor Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Handy rating system need improvement" (in 46 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 39 reviews)

"Professional Cleaner"

Current Contractor - Independent Cleaning Contractor in Vancouver, BC
    Current Contractor - Independent Cleaning Contractor in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Flexible schedule, but that's it. Handy is the visible side of how service reaches customers. Handy doesn't employee cleaners, it solicits independent cleaning professionals to use it's platform. Handy is all about the tech-side of how it connects service providers. They like to look savvy, but I'd compare the shark mentality of this start-up to how Amazon feeds off of the backs of hard-working underpaid average people who run the hundreds of Amazon distribution centers around the world. It''s essentially slave labor. Handy is the poster-child for the ultimate middleman.

Cons

Handy does not provide supplies to contractors, does not offer benefits of any kind, does not reimburse for travel expenses, does not offer training to contractors, does not try to set customer expectation, but rather sets up a system whereby contractors are rated and paid on a scale of 1-5 which determines who much they will earn (between $15 to $22 per hour). Customers quickly understand this rating system and unfortunately like to use it to deal with their home cleaner as they see fit. Somewhat sadomasochistic in effect. My experience has shown me that unfortunately the Handy system brings out the worst in people. As a professional home cleaner I've decided to leave this so called arrangement between Handy and myself behind (wound't refer to it as any type of partnership, that would be exaggerated).

Handy created a system that keeps it's bottom line on a tight lease (that is contractors willing to work). Handy as a company is very concerned about it's bottom line (profit) and will market it's services to achieve it's end.

It would be false to assume it cares otherwise. It's founders like many other young start-ups truly exist in another world that has little to do with cleaning your home.

Like some great shark swimming through the waters it understands that there will always be contractors willing to attach and feed.

Handy sends out 10s of text messages to contractors 24/7 to alert contractors to available jobs, or to ask contractors to call dispatch, but when it changed how it pays contractors it sent only 1 email to warn thousands of people of the upcoming changes.

Handy is the ultimate parasite feeding off the backs of thousands of really hard working average people.

Advice to Management

I would say something if I thought it would make a difference, but I don't.

2. "Still Optimistic"

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A way to earn additional income. Can make your own schedule. App based and easy to use. Requires cleaner to arrive on time or a penalty invoked. Rating system for each provider. Hourly services make it easy to schedule multiple jobs in a day.

Cons

The hourly pay is very low in my opinion. The Customer cancellation rate is extremely high. Out of 10 jobs booked in 17 days , 8 canceled 24 hours in advance (not enough time to rebook another job), I canceled 1 (due to the high cancellation rate I decided to accept my Customer instead), and cleaned 1 job. I'm not sure how anyone could earn enough under these conditions. Customer requests are at times not realistic for the booked time leaving you to be the bearer of bad news.

Advice to Management

Extend the Customer cancellation policy to a minimum of 48 hours. That is standard practice in the industry. This will allow the provider an opportunity to find other customers to replace lost income/revenue.

"Fund are constantly held without reason"

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Working on my schedule, and supervising myself

Cons

Funds are constantly held without reason. The pay is very unfair compared to the amount of work a contractor is expected to do. As if this is not enough, the little you earn can mysteriously be deducted on without explanation, and of recent, cashing out is becoming impossible!!!

Advice to Management

The nature of your business requires extreme transparency with your contractors, especially that we always honor our end of the bargain. This is an information age, if you continue with these kind of practices, eventually very few contractors will stay with you let alone want to work for you.

12 Jul, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We're more than happy to review your payments if you've been experiencing any issues. Please feel free to email us at team@handy.com to speak with a payment specialist.

4. "Independent"

Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

There Is nothing good about this company. Please I beg you stay away

Cons

3 Tier system 15, 17, 20 dollars. The moment you get a bad rati g you go back to 15.00. If you cancel they charge housekeepers from 15.00 to 50.00 per job. They also take a 50% cut. In addition, handy acts like they are an employer but submit paper stating 1099 contractors. They set up 2 to 3 hour windows for HOUSECLEANERS. There client base or bipolar or psycho.

Advice to Management

Handy stop trying to conduct business from the oval office. These guys do not have any direct communication via phone. You have to contact handy by email. Customers make false accusations and submit bad ratings. Housecleaner cannot contest ratings. I was terminated 48 hours ago because alleged customer accused me of stealing knives. Did handy stand by me ?

23 Jun, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We made the decision to provide email support so we can efficiently provide support to all the tens of thousands of professionals that work on our platform. We strive to answer emails as quickly as... More

5. "Good for spare time"

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Make own schedule ,flexible

Cons

Don't care about contractors, they start taking jobs off your schedule to send who they want,the beginning u get many jobs ,once your there for a year your jobs reduce dramatically where it's not even worth claiming jobs anymore. If its your only means of money,don't do it you will be disappointed EVENTUALLY. That's why I never recommended anyone I know to work for them.

Advice to Management

Your app needs to be updated,all contractors should be treated equally,seems like n.y workers get more love than Boston workers. Is that because that's where the founders are from?

19 Apr, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

If a job gets removed it's unfortunately due to a cancellation by a customer. We continue to work on initiatives to prevent frequent cancellations. We aim to provide professionals on the platform... More

"Housecleaner-independent Contractor"

Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in Coral Springs, FL (US)
    Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in Coral Springs, FL (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Own schedule;
    $ to be made if you want to work for it

Cons

Horrific help desk for "employees"
    Not truly employees, independent Contractor (still waiting for my tax docs to arrive from them)
    Handy reserved the right to fire anyone, at anytime, without giving a reason
    They positvitely rob you with fees and fines (ex: made $7,455 YTD with Handy last year 05/2016-09/2016...$5463 in fees and fines. Not kidding take home was like $2000
    Fired day after thanksgiving. No reason has ever been given. Rated number 1 cleaner in ny area for 9 weeks straight. Had 4.8 out of 5 star rating
    *dont try to build your own client base via Handy. They tend to fire you

Advice to Management

Better service and care for your cleaner, handymen, etc

2 Mar, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we appreciate it. In terms of your taxes, you can find information on our Help Center that explains where to get your 1099. You can find that information here... More

"Worst company ever"

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work is there when you want, easy to use app

Cons

Company is garbage
    No management to contact
    They treat you as a number not as a human
    Wage is low for a contractor
    They charge customers peak pricing( $140 for 2 hr cleaning!) and pros only make $40!
    They expect high quality products
    They make false promises
    Their wage constantly fluctuates and get upset when you expect them to honor a advertised wage
    Much more just not at the top of my head!!

This company is complete garbage and should be avoided as a regular source of income. I, at one point made around $5000/ month but it takes a toll on you and expenses add up very quickly. They claim they are making their system more reliable for the pros but honestly they've made it so difficult to earn money to where I can't even make half of the amount I used to and you still have to stay available all day. Don't be their slave. At best, work with them for a while until you've made good relationships with people and then quit. You can make much more on your own and work on your terms not theirs.

Advice to Management

Treat your pros properly. They are the bloodline of your company.
    Stop making false promises.
    Make job locations and details more transparent.
    Pay a better wage.

20 Jan, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We work hard to improve the Handy platform for both Pros and Customers. Thanks for your feedback.

8. "Neutral"

Current Contractor - Housekeeper/Independent Contractor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Contractor - Housekeeper/Independent Contractor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Making your own schedule is awesome, weekly pay is awesome,Clients are Nice,

Cons

There is no Phone number to speck to anyone,They STAND BY THE "CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT" MOTO

Advice to Management

Customers tend to lie to get out of paying for their cleanings,& were charged for witholdings,when there not home& or get bad ratings even after the Customer will look you in your face& state you done a Great Job

21 Oct, 2016 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We strive to provide the best experience for both customers and professionals which is why our rating system is in place. Also, ratings go both ways: customers rate pros and pros rate customers. We... More

"Remember, Handy is only a technology platform!"

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

> The overall flexibility in scheduling! If a contractor doesn't want to work a certain day/time, there's no issue - as long as a scheduled job isn't removed (a fee is incurred if it is within 36* hours of the scheduled time for the job).
    > The pay is decent. It's tiered, so it depends on performance, with a base pay of $15/hour*.
    > The ability to see an impact/finished product. Interaction with various people at vastly different stages of life - plus it's a nice peek into what it'll be like to clean the dream home!

* For the Portland, OR area.

Cons

>Pay is based upon customer ratings and number of jobs completed within most recent pay cycle. Therefore, if only one client rates performance, the average can drop significantly. Also, if a lesser number of longer jobs are accepted, the number of jobs required may not be met. For those with maximum availability, high attention to detail, and quick pacing, this isn't an unsurmountable obstacle. It can be a little rocky to adjust at the beginning, though. (Must maintain a lifetime rating of 4.2/5 to remain on the platform, so it is necessary that many clients rate a perfect 5/5.)
    > The platform needs to be updated to open often. (Sometimes twice in the same week.) On average, there is a required update once a month, without vast improvements.
    > Customers frequently cancel jobs without enough time to fill the vacancy, but outside of the time frame that contractors are still paid.
    > TAX TIME! As independent contractors, cleaners are considered to be business owners for tax purposes. No taxes are taken from pay, so everything must be paid at filing. All income is reported on 1099-MISC.
    > If a contractor works beyond the booked hours to finish a job, there is no additional compensation unless the customer, personally, adds time.
    > Pretty much ZERO customer service. Many customers have difficulty canceling bookings (and the only point of contact they have is the contractor, who is powerless to resolve issues).
    > Still receive (quite a few) unnecessary/redundant text messages.

Advice to Management

> Improve customer service! Allow them the ability to easily (and successfully) cancel individual or recurring services, provide them with a person (phone number, email, something!) to assist them with any questions or concerns. There have been several times that customers were disappointed with the level of service from Handy, and that translates into their interaction with the contractors. They're frustrated when they've tried to cancel a cleaning several times, and someone still shows up!
    > Require customers to rate the service if that is going to be the means of deciding the pay of the contractors. Or, automatically assign the highest rating unless there is a complaint.
    > Consider the total number of hours worked for the tiers, instead of the number of jobs per cycle.
    > Consider a tier for those who have a certain number of lifetime hours as well. (i.e., if one has worked through the Handy platform and completed 300 hours the base pay is $16/hour, at 500 hours $17/hour, etc.) This is a suggestion to reward retention. There is no promotion within the company, so it seems the best way to retain people is to increase pay. Maybe have like a Gold Service or something, where customers could pay a little more to have a more experienced, well-rated cleaner?

"Ok, but don't expect to make much money"

Former Freelancer - Independent Contractor
    Former Freelancer - Independent Contractor

I worked at Handy (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work when it suits.
    You don't need to have experience but you are expected to work hard.
    Keep mileage records you will need these to claim expenses when you do your taxes.

Cons

The rating system makes it near impossible to move up the pay scale.