Handy House Cleaner Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Handy rating system need improvement" (in 46 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 39 reviews)

1. "Handy"

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Make my own schedule

Cons

Difficult to catch the time

Advice to Management

None

"Crap"

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing much, ocassional good pay

Cons

Everything, the proxy booking is a joke. They would not reverse me an unfair fee after 20 emails back and forth. Do not bother, corporate arrogance from them.

18 Jul, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

If you received a fee it was because you were late to a job or didn't show up to a job. You will need to explain what occurred to our support team. We offer proxy bookings because it's a great... More

"Dishonest, Sketchy, and no support."

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Great orientation. Nothing else I can think of. The first few weeks are great until you run into a discrepancy. they claim they keep good track of your GPS to assure they dont run into a discrepancy. However they can't even verify that I went to my job. Handy does send pros but they are run by a bunch of cons!

Cons

Everything after the orientation. I am in Toronto. On my second week into using their platform. I was directed to the wrong address. Keep in mind they will tell you that they will pay you for the job if the address on the platform is incorrect. Instead these guys just withheld my payment. I had to spend time getting ready and arrive to a non-existing address. When I sent an e-mail back they said they would "have to further look into the situation". It's pretty B.S when you tell people during orientation one thing and then rip them off for the money they rightfully earned. On top of that there is no number to contact in case an issue arises that you can't resolve, I understand that this is for "independent" contractors but the fact that I have to send an e-mail, wait half the day or two days for a response to a question via e-mail. They will honestly be bankrupt in a year or two if they fail to listen or follow the law. I honestly think they should be looked into by Canadian Labor Board. Anyway. Tell your friends and family through social media! This is a very untrustworthy company to work for.

Advice to Management

Fix your platform, manage the payments better because I'm sure contractors are all frustrated not being payed for certain jobs, while taking advantage of people looking for work. Please don't tell people during orientation that contractors recieve payments in full when you arrive at the wrong address they have provided for you. When in fact you end up penalizing the contractor through no fault of their own.

"They are only Handy to themselves. Run Far Away from this scam."

Former Contractor - Independent Professional House Cleaner in North Vancouver, BC

I worked at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Do yourself a favor and heed this warning. If you must, work for them a month and then get out!!! The errors, dishonesty and lack of skills this company possesses will give you nothing but major stress in your life. Honestly, the only really good thing about this company was they supplied a lot clients and they did pay on time. But unless you work 7 days a week there is no way to get paid more than 500 a week (you will burn out fast doing this... I know, because I did.) out of which you need to pay for a cell phone with long distance charges and data, transportation (bus or your own personal car and increased insurance costs) , parking and your own cleaning supplies. The good reviews you will read on here are paid for, and arranged by, current customer service reps who offer free cleanings and other perks to their friends and family in exchange for BOGUS FAKE employee/contractor reviews written as if they work for the company when they don't. Read some of the Customer Service Rep reviews. Just try to find one review where the employee or contractor has been working with Handy for more than a year. The turnover in the company is huge. Most clients complain that they get a different cleaner every time because no one stays!!!

Cons

This company makes up the rules as they go along. Just like that "friend" in grade school did while playing monopoly!! The app that the customers download from google play clearly states that tips are included in the cost of cleaning services. Handy does not pay us tips and the customer thinks they dont need to tip us. Handy is currently being sued for this among many other things by former cleaners in a class action suit. Google it!! The rating system lacks integrity and accountability, meaning there is no way to know if it was really the customer or Handy themselves that are rating you low to keep your wages down. If your ratings fall below a certain number your hourly rate will also fall. Also, there is no way for you to make it right with the customer because you will never be told who rated you low or what the specific problem was. Just a generic they were not happy with the bathroom, or floor etc. Not even the type of floor. Was there footprints on the vacuum lines in the carpet or was the floor streaky or left unwashed?

My friend is still working for them until the end of June, if she can handle it that long. She just informed me that here is currently no way to contact the company if you have a problem with them or a problem at a job. The new contact number they have for the cleaners is non functional in the lower mainland of British Columbia.

Sometimes you arrive a job fully prepared to work, only to find out the client is not there, or worse yet, have the client turn you away stating that they cancelled this booking a week ago. Even if its not your fault, they only pay you for one hour at the lowest rate $15 and ONLY if you stay at the cancelled booking, parked outside, and check out after an hour. Meanwhile they pocket the cost of the entire job even if it was a 6 or 8 hour job, infuriating the customers. In fact Handy's rating on the Better Business Bureau is an F, Yes I said F, the lowest customer satisfaction rating that they can give. Then after that hour is up, you need to call them again, wait on hold for up to an hour and tell them you are leaving What a load of crap!!!

The app you are required to have on your phone to claim jobs, and check in and out of jobs keeps crashing. You can send a message from their app if you can get it to work, but don't expect a reply back for 48 hours if at all. You often wonder if the messages are even getting through. I sent 3 messages and still had NO REPLY nearly 2 weeks later. I ended up trying to address the concerns with a live agent the next time a customer cancelled at the door... why not I had an hour to sit there in the blazing sun in my car in front of the clients home with broken air conditioning. It was pointless and I could have spent my time better having a nap in my car. The contact numbers that they mask for the clients are long distance calls from Vancouver (more deductions off your pay). The company keeps changing it's policies and none of the customer service agents seem to get informed of the change so no one knows what is going on or what policy is in effect for sure. You can be told one thing by one CSA and told something completely different by another. You are told you will be paid for a cancellation and in reality you get nothing. When you complain, they say I am sorry you were misinformed. This feels a lot like lying to me.

The worst part about this company is it severely lacks integrity. They are dishonest to their contractors and to their clients, there is no cohesiveness and they don't know their right hand from their left. Most of the clients were customers that have never had a cleaner before and bought into one of the heavily marketed offers of a 2 hour house cleaning for $29 and are too cheap to pay for enough time to properly clean their house or apartment. All in all this company is only in it for the quick money. Once the money stops flowing, because the contractors wont work for them any more, or the customers get fed up with the crappy customer service, they will just abandon their professionals and clients and go start another scam.

Advice to Management

There is no point, you wont listen anyway. You are only in it for the money NOW, get your quick bucks and get out. You don't care about the future, if you did, you would not let all these negative reviews keep being posted, you would change policies to try to make us, your ability to make money, a little more secure and happier. Which would stop all the negative reviews. When this company fails (and it will, mark my words) you will just shut it down or find some poor dumb uneducated schmuck to buy it and go start another scam. However, with all these poor reviews I suspect your company will be worthless. You are despicable Mr CEO. You have very poor business ethics.

"Unfair treatment of employees by missclasifying them as contractors"

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Part time, sort of flexible hours

Cons

Underpaid - less than minimum wage is left after paying for all the expenses. Equipment, cleaning products are imposed by a Handy which makes it more costly.
    Missclasifying me as contractor-They control my level of pay thru ratings as if I was an employee and yet the don't pay me all the benefits that I would be entitled to had I been classified as an employee. Not fair and against the IRS, CRA and labor standards.

Advice to Management

Follow rules, reclassify your contractors to employees and pay them back the money you owe them

"Shady"

Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule is the only pro

Cons

pay, general practice, job support

Advice to Management

I started working on the platform being told the rate was $XX with the possibility of and increase of $XX+$5 per hour with good performance, X amount of jobs, etc. That is fine. After a few months I see that jobs are being offered $2 less per hour than the standard flat intro rate. When I inquire I get a response that the rates in my city could be changing. My rates could be changing to be LESS ? The cost of living in my city has not gone down, if anything it increases every year. The minimum wage in my city increases every year, but handy has decided to pay less! I am also aware that they take a cut of as much as 50%. I know they have other less than desirable practices.

7 Nov, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thanks for your feedback. We care about doing research about the market to ensure we're paying pros fairly and as much as possible. While we do our best to pay pros as much as possible we also have... More

7. "Handy pro cleaner"

Current Contractor - House Cleaner

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule

Cons

Terrible communication! Don’t use HANDY

Advice to Management

Handy is the worst company ever. They treat their cleaners like crap. They respond when they feel like it. They say if it’s urgent they’ll respond within minutes, but I’ve been emailing them for over 7 hours non stop regarding my funds and me not being able to cash out. They’ve been flat out ignoring me, I have a child to feed, bills to pay and things to do. They won’t get away with it because I’m filing a lawsuit against them. I see why all my repeat clients don’t want to work with them anymore they would rather work with me directly. Handy SUCKS!

3 Oct, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

If there's an issue with your cash our now feature it could be because your bank deposit info is incorrect or an issue that needs to be resolved with your bank provider. Please follow up with us at... More

8. "Garbage company"

Former Contractor - House Cleaner in Fullerton, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - House Cleaner in Fullerton, CA (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

The company is trash and so are the clients. Not only do clients lie, in but they have the ability to easily manipulate your rating. Handy is a modern day slave ring. No wonder this company was hit with lawsuit after lawsuit. Pay is a joke, and it was never near what was promised at the time of sign up. This app is complete a complete scam. You'd be better off working on the TIDY homekeeper platform which is more consistent and you the ability to make way more money than this Handy garbage. They mistreat their workers and they simply do not care.

Advice to Management

I hope this company shuts down like Pharaoh's Lost Kingdom and I will be rolling in vindication once it does.

31 Aug, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience on the platform. We appreciate all your hard work while you participated and your feedback.

9. "Review system / quotes on time for cleaning are not accurate"

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule , the first allows you to choose your schedule

Cons

Reviews , you have no idea what is dropping your percentage. Getting jobs with nitvenough time and the service has expectations . This leaves the pros with not enough time to do a professional job . Customers can book 1 bed 1 bath and itvturns our to 3 bed 3 bath 1.5 bath . Filthy . Add one for oven and refrigerator is a hour combined. I would love to see the ceo clean a oven in 1.5 hours . You pay for what you get but the pro gets the unfair review . Inability to add time and the customer can say anything . You are a virtual employer and business . You don’t do physical walk through a to assess the time needed for the customers expectations!!!!!!!! Leaves me in the middle and baringbthe burden of your failure as a management team

25 Jul, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We greatly appreciate all your hard work on the platform. We will pass this along to the team so they are aware of your experience.

"Be a self learner."

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The upside is I love cleaning. I love controlling my hours.

Cons

Even with previous cleaning experience Handy has been a difficult transition. Make sure to read everything. Go thru the app and read every bit of your agreement. I have had major issues with erroneous fees, being booked very far from City. Parking is another huge issue, communicate with clients as much as possible. Communication with Handy is strictly through email. Many times, issues you ask about are not ever addressed. Even though I have a very high rating and an excellent keep rating, I don't feel valuable as an employee. I think the fees for canceling are too high. If I wake up sick then I'm paying 40 for that first job of the day and 20 for any further jobs scheduled. The only time they wave that is if your injured on the job. You can also excuse yourself from a job and take the blow of only being paid one hour, but I have done this because they don't screen the clients very well and I have had some doozies. I will edit this to be more specific when I leave the company. I see this happening in the next few months.

Advice to Management

Have a local mentor program for new cleaners. Dont just take a clients word for a negative review without speaking to the cleaner. Even you are allowed to respond to this review here. It should be the same way on your app.

20 Jul, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! You have some great ideas. We do our best to make good decisions based off the information we have. This is why it's so important for professionals to check in and out of... More