Handy Customer Experience Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Handy rating system need improvement" (in 46 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 39 reviews)

"So so"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Benefits. Food. Friendly staff. Set working schedule.

Cons

No support. Favoritism. Low pay

Advice to Management

Invest in real career path advice for your staff.

"Couldn't imagine a worst first job."

I worked at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I met here were awesome and are still my friends to this day. They provide free food which saves you more money than you'd think.

Cons

The management is awful. The platform for how they treat their cleaning professionals is literally immoral. This company screwed all of it's employees out of paid time, medical expenses, lied about actual end dates. They will do anything slimy they can for an extra buck. Mass public firings were common. This job was a nightmare. I learned more about binge drinking and who was sleeping with who then I ever did about what made this company successful. People actually would get wasted and have sex in the office. It's like working in Animal House.

Advice to Management

Stop while you're ahead.

3. "Excellent company!"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked full time for this company as a customer service associate in New York. The work environment was great, mostly due to the great colleagues with who I worked. The senior staff was also a huge help to me when I first started working there. Sadly, I had to leave the company when I moved to a different state, but I've recommended this company to friends as good work experience in this field. Now, I thought I could do the same through Glassdoor. The company does a great job in providing its customers with a "satisfaction guaranteed" feeling.

Cons

Drank more coffee than I used to when I worked part-time? Haha. Seriously though, I don't have anything negative to say about my experience working for Handy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I haven't worked for any company before where we had people in management that gave their all.

"Customer Experience"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY (US)

Pros

You will gain a lot of experience in a very short time. Your coworkers will be solid, and you will need them because management is a unique mix of arrogance and incompetence, from the founders down to the supervisors.

Cons

First off, don't trust a single glowing review of Handy posted here - they are transparent attempt by management to cover the very high turnover rate of both employees and cleaning contractors. You will see the earliest reviews here from cleaners had a direct response from the CEO that their opinions were null because they were not considered full-time employees, but now they are flooding this board and driving the score up. So which is it?

If you work here, you are not working for a tech startup - you are working for a cleaning/janitorial company. Most jobs are in operations and support since Handy is a service business, which means you will spend hours each day emphasizing to poor English as a second language speakers that they need to clean underneath shampoo bottles, or getting yelled at by a customer because their shampoo bottles were not cleaned.

Your salary will never increase. They hire mostly new college grads that are easily replaceable or outsourced. Allow me to repeat: this is not a place with opportunities to grow, this is a place to spend a year building experience and then getting out before you just can't take the entitled customers or cleaners who just don't care.

Lastly, you will find out through your own experience that Handy offers a mediocre product at best. The contractor-without-a-supervisor model does not work for cleaning the same way it works for Uber, and the endless stream of unhappy customers and unfairly rated cleaners proves this.

Advice to Management

You put mindless growth before mindful culture and you have failed because of this. Have fun with your model before it gets outpaced by competitors that know how to treat their customers and employees.

"Amazing Leadership"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer service can be a drag. There can be a lot of frustration when things don't go exactly as someone hopes they would. Having to mitigate peoples' displeasure can be a frustrating task. Thankfully, even when things get bad with customers, the management is always there to help the customer, and you. They take the flak off of you, and always offer constructive suggestions for how to handle sticky situations.

Cons

If you can't deal with people's frustration then this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The culture here is the envy of all businesses.

"Nice fake reviews, social media team! Here"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY (US)

Pros

It pays the bills. There's medical and dental. There's a free meal every shift, and snacks and soda. Although the soda is rationed because the staff was 'drinking too many.' You get a free Handy cleaning each month. And that's about it.

Cons

Seriously, where to begin. Handy Customer Experience team members are managed by sheer intimidation. The company provides free meals because there isn't time to go get food and come back and eat - and if you're a minute late, you'll be written up. Late to work? So are the managers, constantly. However, you do it and it's a write up. Which also usually comes with a healthy dose of being belittled by the management team, and goes as far as literally being screamed at in front of your teammates. They even log the time you spend going to the bathroom or getting a drink of water. Take too many? Drink less water and you won't have to get up as much...

And if you don't? Layoffs. At least in the NYC HQ. Several rounds of public layoffs have occurred - and by public, I mean all the conference rooms are glass, so you literally get to watch the manager lay off your friends before your very eyes, then be escorted to the elevator. Because now that they figured out it costs half the price, all the jobs are being outsourced to call centers in Tampa and Arkansas. The workers there receive virtually no training, and constantly screw up customer accounts. But that bottom line, am I right?

But then they go too far too fast -- fired too many people at once -- the hold times are often up to an hour on the phone, and 2-3 days via email. So then they beg you to stay for overtime, which is supposedly optional, but you are scolded if you wont stay extra time. There's also little to no coaching or scripts on how to handle situations -- the one manager who was attempting to build the training program left the second he got another job. (And good for him.)

Everything is ruled by metrics - setting an unreasonable goal of interactions per hour which affect the level of customer service you can provide. Your goal is to get the person off the phone ASAP, with or without a resolution. Give the customer as little as you can get away with. Give the professionals as little as you can - purposely underpaying them in some circumstances for things to see if they notice. Handy is on no one's side but their own.

When they switched the CX team from salary to hourly, they literally withheld half of every person's paycheck without any notice. Once it had already been done, an unapologetic email was sent by the lead manager, explaining why we weren't receiving our money. Many people struggled to afford their rents that month, as it was done on the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

Meanwhile, the managers are sleeping with employees, drugs are rampant at company parties/keggers, which are often held in-office while the CX staff tried to work. One time, the two of those elements combined very publicly, if you know what I mean! That manager had to resign. And I had to repeatedly Lysol the couch. Great for the programmers and management to get their thrills, awful for the customers who literally are hearing a rave going on in the background of their phone calls. Because if the party happens during your shift? The work doesn't stop just because there's a DJ and multiple bartenders in the room! If you don't assimilate and party hard, you become a quick target, no matter your metrics. Bro culture at its epitome.

The NYC CX crew is small at this point. Dozens were fired in the layoffs, but many more have quit and run, often without another job to go to, or by accepting a job with less pay. Because the thought of returning to that sinking hellhole and being yelled at by miserable customers, yelled at by professionals who you know fully well we're screwing over, and being yelled at by the managers who should be supporting you... just becomes unbearable.

So take the previous reviews with a grain of salt about the sunshine and unicorns... like most of the reviews on the apps, they are either current management, social media team, or friends of employees they gave free cleanings to in exchange for a review. (I coordinated a few of these myself.) Stay far away from Handy CX if you value your personal integrity.

Advice to Management

A team works harder when they believe in the product, the company, and the managers above them. Motivation is key. Currently, you have none of these going for you. You lie to your employees without blinking.

"Terribly Mismanaged Company with a Middle School Mentality"

I worked at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch and dinner, and many of your coworkers will be amazing people... just don't expect them to stick around when they're being overworked and exploited by upper management.

Cons

Upper management plays favorites, will not pay you for breaks (even though it's legally required), will not provide adequate training on new systems and then will punish you for not maintaining your metrics. Does not have an HR department and it SHOWS. Rampant sexism and racism from upper management.

Advice to Management

For gods sake, stop listening to Carrie, take a look at your overworked and under appreciated customer service people and start making real changes, not trying to distract everyone from the issues by buying them kegs once in a while. Conduct exit interviews and stop outsourcing!

"Deception at every turn."

I worked at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really great co-workers.
    Free meals, snacks and drinks.
    Comprehensive health benefits package.

Cons

Terrible division between CX and everyone else that naturally stems resentment.
    Constantly shrinking paychecks with no explanation whatsoever.
    No real advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Aim for a better office culture. The office is teeming with gossip and petty jealousies that permeate from the top-down. Also be much more transparent and accountable for company-wide decisions. These effect people's lives.

"STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS FRATERNITY!"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate

Pros

free mediocre food and horrible coffee

Cons

- low salary
    - outsourcing
    - micromanaging
    - low morale
    - negative atmosphere

Overall, not how they sell themselves at ALL.

All employees started at 35k/year then were dropped down to hourly wages.
    Soon after they began letting people go under mysterious circumstances and opened up cs centers in Tampa and Arkansas where they pay them much less.

Recently, money is mysteriously missing from direct deposits. Management doesn't help anyone in general so there's just finger-pointing and shrugging with you bring this or any other issue to their attention.
    It's a catastrophe, really.
    They should be embarrassed.

Advice to Management

Care a little.
    Stop micromanaging.
    Get organized.

Try compensating your overworked and micromanaged employees properly instead of blowing money on kegs and cheap liquor constantly.

"I met a lot of great people at this company, unfortunately many of them left."

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Handy is superb at recruiting interesting and intelligent people to work for them. Events we're fun, when we had them. Employee benefits are definitely great, like catered lunches and snacks.

Cons

Management was very deceptive in terms of moving up within the company, only lateral movement and seldom any raises with such movement. Policy changes were commonplace, but would always take effect before the information was disseminated to staff. In terms of business ethics, I found that certain decisions were questionable. I felt uneasy most of my time at Handy.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your core values. At my time at Handy, I found that none of the core values were ever openly expressed and definitely not practiced.