Handy Cleaning Professional Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Handy rating system need improvement" (in 46 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 39 reviews)

"i love it"

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

its great to be able to choose when where how and how long you work and with handy i found i am able to do just that!!

Cons

there aren't usually people to answer the phones i don't think they even have a phone number anymore actually.

"Unstable and unpredictable work."

Current Contractor - Cleaning Professional in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Cleaning Professional in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You can choose your own schedule, work independently, no micromanagement

Cons

They lowered the hourly rate to $20.
    Difficult, unpredictable customers. Almost all of the jobs require initial deep cleaning. Depending on your rating, Handy will only allow you to view/claim a certain number of jobs. You have to buy/transport own supplies and pay self-employment tax.

Advice to Management

Stop saying that cleaners can earn $1000 a week. No one works that many hours. Eliminate the rating system.

"Reviews from New York are bogus!"

Current Contractor - Cleaning Professional in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Contractor - Cleaning Professional in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

There are no longer any pros with this company. All reviews from New York are bogus. It's Handy trying to bury accurate reviews of how low the company has sunk to.

Cons

Everything is wrong! Customer service is is no where to be found. The company is full of millennials that suffer from never having to work honestly for anything. Please don't hire this company for anything. Check into local cleaners that want to provide great customer service.

Advice to Management

If you provided a good service you would keep good cleaners with happy customers! How about you actually work for a living and not exploit your pros!!!!

"It all sounds great until you start taking on jobs that do not allow the allotted time for the amount of work!"

Current Contractor - Cleaning Professional in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Contractor - Cleaning Professional in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Flexible, easy to use app, paid weekly

Cons

Booking are not given allotted time for cleaning. They want you to clean a 2, 3, and 4 bedroom house in 2hrs just because the customer claims it can be done. NEWS FLASH HANDY....... MOST OF YOUR BOOKINGS WANT BATHROOMS CLEANED AND THESE BATHROOMS HAVE SOAP SCUM THAT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS BEEN ACCUMULATING FOR MORE THAN A MONTH. I easily spend 45 mins to an hour cleaning these type of bathrooms because the mildew and scum is so thick which only leaves me 1 hr and 15 mins to clean the kitchen, livingroom and bedrooms which entails dusting vacuuming, moping the kitchen floor and wiping down all surfaces. The idea is nice but impossible! Customers should have to at least book for 2.5hrs...... otherwise you will continue to have unhappy contractors who will take their skills elsewhere. Most of the booking claim to be 2br 2ba but when you arrive its more bedrooms and there seems to always be a diningroom added to the job. Contractors try not to complain to the customer because of fear of getting a bad rating which in the end will affect the contractors rate of pay. Please just do your research and the math before taking on this company to become an independent contractor. Handy should request pictures of the homes and areas that need cleaned before setting a price with people. The customers can not be trusted to tell the truth about how long is really needed. They see the cheapest rate at 50 something $$$ and press buy. When in all actuality the job should be one of the higher rates offered. Another problem is contacting Handy..... the only method of contacting them is through email and they tell you that it is a turn around time of 24hrs for a response. They claim to have company shirts they give you as part of signing up. That also is not true..... I have been working for this company for 3 weeks and still have not gotten mine. At orientation they claimed it may take some time to get the shirts and that we would be notified by email...... I have yet to receive an email about any shirts! Even after contacting them myself through email. If your thinking about using this company for jobs just do your research and read reviews first. You will see it makes more sense to just open your own business.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to price bookings. These customers want professional cleaning in 2hrs for a 3 and 4 bedroom home with bathrooms that are covered in mildew and soap scum that looks like it has accumulated for months without being cleaned. Even bleach water wont clean them 100% without at least 45mins to an hour on just the bathroom. Time allotted by these customers is ridiculous and your company needs to find a better way of being sure that the job can be covered in this 2 hr period everyone is claiming to be ample time.

"Handy Stole Money from me and Kicked me off the Platform."

Former Contractor - Handy Cleaning Professional in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - Handy Cleaning Professional in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I started with Handy because I liked the flexibility in scheduling.

Cons

Handy stole money from me, falsely claiming that they "overpaid" me. When I called and emailed them numerous times addressing the issue with my proof, they did not respond. After weeks of unanswered calls/emails, I decided to file with the BBB. Shortly after I found that Handy had kicked me off the platform and still owes me over $100 for previous bookings plus the money that they claimed to have "overpaid" me. If they don't pay me out, my uncle is a lawyer and I will take legal action.

"Very little consideration for the employee."

Current Contractor - Cleaning Professional in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Contractor - Cleaning Professional in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

The pay is good and you can make your own schedule.

Cons

Although the pay is good, it is only good so long as you keep your ratings and job count up. Which can be difficult when you don't know which customers are rating you what. The people who may be considered managers are also extremely difficult to reach. I have no way of contacting my city manager by phone and the people who work in customer service are terrible. Absolutely terrible. Rude and unhelpful. I often end up feeling completely helpless when i have any kind of issue. within the last week I have gone to two jobs that another cleaner was also scheduled for and I had to leave, without pay. Handy blamed the mistake on the customer saying that sometimes customers want two cleaners. This is not the case. So handy makes a mistake and I don't get paid, but if I cancel a job within 48 hours I am charged $25. I'm an independent contractor. If I need to cancel a job I should be able to do so. I was recently hit by a car on my bicycle and when I called to cancel the first off three jobs the next day (I was canceling only the first) the man was extremely rude to me and told me that I would be charged $25 and if I had an issue with that I could take up with payments by way of email. No phone number is available for payments, only email.

Advice to Management

Hire more people? Hire people who are friendly? I'd like to rate my experience with customer service. Allow me to see who rates me what so that I may improve or at least defend myself against a poor rating. The other day I believe I received a poor rating for a job that was scheduled for two hours and I was unable to do their dishes because their apartment was absolutely wrecked, dog pee and poop all over the floor. It reeked. But I don't know if this is who gave me the poor rating. Why? I pride myself on doing a great job. Always. And now my pay has gone down to the lowest since I first started? This is terrible.

"Do NOT use Handy! Support your locally owned cleaning companies"

Former Contractor - Cleaning Professional in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Contractor - Cleaning Professional in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Direct deposit and you can choose your jobs (when jobs are available and don't get canceled at the last minute)

Cons

Handy has gotten too big for their britches. They bring on way too many people, management in NYC has NO clue what is going on in other states. Getting ahold of somebody was like pulling teeth and then when you did get to talk to somebody, they were rude, talked over you and basically made you feel like scum.
    You have to buy all your own cleaning supplies. The vacuum they have you purchase is a piece of crap, orientation paperwork is confusing and contradictory. You NEVER see a tip, you NEVER get "corporate sponsored lunches and events". Maybe in NYC they do that, but out west here in AZ I have NEVER gotten anything from Handy except a hard time. Handy also has a F rating with the BBB, which should tell you something right there. Management does not care period. As long as they continue to rip people off, under pay their "cleaning professionals" I see several class action lawsuits in the making.

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing on NYC, invest in local offices for cleaners to have a home base. Screwing people out of jobs, tips, etc. isn't making for a good impression.

"DONT DO IT!!"

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

If I had some right now I would list them

Cons

This company is so full of crap. You take on jobs and then the client doesnt show up and you dont get paid the FULL amount of the job. You get paid for an hour. This is so unfair because the client will confirm and appointment then wont be home when you get there. So youve wasted time and gas.

Handy will charge YOU $25 or more if you cancel a job within 24 hrs or are a no show. You cant get in touch with them when you have an issue with a job, customer service!!! They dont know what that is!! Trying to get your money back after youve had a false "with held" when it was the clients fault, yeah good luck with that.

I thought this would be a fun company to work for, but now I see they are all about HANDY!! They dont care about their cleaning professionals and I recommended a friend to work for them, NEVER again. I also read they were being sued for labor code violations. So not happy with this company!! Ill be going elsewhere!

Advice to Management

LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN to your cleaning professionals. This could be a great place to work, but you need to be fair to them and stop being cheap and taking money from the cleaners! They do the work!

"Dont expect to much if you're a cleaning professional."

Current Contractor - Cleaning Professional in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You usually receive pay in about two days unless it's the weekend. No deposits on sat/sun.
    You set your own hours.
    You do not need to hunt up clients.

Cons

Pay rates based on customer reviews designed to be biased against professionals. A 7 out of 10 is a bad score and could get you fired.
    No actual customer feedback.
    Misinformation on platform regarding job locations.
    No 1099 tax forms. All jobs need to be carefully documented.
    Little to none interaction with office staff.
    I've had several clients tell me they tipped through the company and have never received a dime. As well as telling clients not to tip.
    Not getting notified of clients cancellation until being turned away or no one being home.
    Not making it plain to clients what are considered extras. It's embarrassing to explain something is not included and ask them to call customer service to book it. Doing so usually only gets you a lower rating.

Advice to Management

Management needs to reevaluate whats important in regards to the rating and pay systems. Every psychological professional I've contacted agrees that 9 out of 10 people will give a rating of 7 when happy, when asked to rate something on a scale of 1-10. It smacks of fraud, and clients should be informed that what they rate does affect their cleaners pay. Not what THEY will pay.

"I love working for this company"

Current Contractor - Cleaning Professional in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason of working here is great pay excel in the careers and you get to meet new pwleople

Cons

The biggest challenges is cleaning how a customer expects you to clean and making sure you get a good rating

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep up the good work and keep providing great jobs for the community