Handy Cleaner Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Handy rating system need improvement" (in 46 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 39 reviews)

1. "Handy"

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Make my own schedule

Cons

Difficult to catch the time

Advice to Management

None

"Crap"

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing much, ocassional good pay

Cons

Everything, the proxy booking is a joke. They would not reverse me an unfair fee after 20 emails back and forth. Do not bother, corporate arrogance from them.

Handy Response

18 Jul, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

If you received a fee it was because you were late to a job or didn't show up to a job. You will need to explain what occurred to our support team. We offer proxy bookings because it's a great... More

"Handy Cleaner"

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting paid Quickly, Make Your Own Schedule

Cons

Rating system, cancellation policies, Pro help, fees, etc

Advice to Management

They do nothing to help the contractors that do all their work for them. The cancellation fee's that the contractors have to pay vs. what the costumers have to pay are straight up unethical, the costumer only has to pay if they cancel less than four hours before the appointment but as a contractor we have to pay between $10-$40 if we cancel less then 48 hours and even if you cancel with more than 48 hours before the appointment it still effects your keep rate which is total crap considering the costumers do not even get keep rates when they should, especially if they are chronic for last minute cancellations. The costumer can constantly cancel and get no penalties, even if you arrive to a job and they do not show up, the contractor has to wait 30 MINUTES and if they still do not show up you only get up to 3 hours pay, sometimes I have traveled over an hour to a 6+ hour job to have that costumer not let you in and you get a mere $50 instead of the $100+ you were suppose to have on that job. Handy also does not have anyone you can actually talk to for Pro help, its all via email because that's how incredibly lazy they are. They have zero flexibility for their contractors, one time I needed to cancel a job last minute because my roomate collapsed in the bathroom and broke their nose and got a concussion so I had to drive them to the hospital and nothing from handy, would not even dismiss a portion of the fee. Also their rating system is not effective at all. As a contractor you cannot see who gives you what rating, and who gives you what thing you need to improve on so it could be a specific thing the costumer would like you to improve on but you would never know. You also cannot see what rating a person gives you unless its a 5 star rating and even then you don't know who gave it to you. USELESS!!!

Handy Response

8 Feb, 2018 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thanks for sharing your experience. Certain fees are in place to provide a 5 star experience to customers. It's not an enjoyable experience for the customer if a professional doesn't arrive to a job... More

4. "Cleaner"

Current Freelancer - Cleaner in Toronto, ON
    Current Freelancer - Cleaner in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Handy (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Paid directly to bank account
    Good tips
    Meet nice people
    If the customer is not at home they still paying you

Cons

You have to buy the cleaning supplies and carry them every day. They don't reimburse you that expense.
    No benefits
    Let you know the address one night before.
    Customer expected you to finish on the time they book.
    Customers not always mention they have pets

"Cleaner"

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, pay is not that bad.

Cons

Not being able to see customer's address in advance anymore. Before I would
    Commute like 10, 20 mins and now is like an hour because I can't choose anymore.

Advice to Management

This new system is terrible and customers keep cancelling as much as they used to.

"Working with Handy"

Current Contractor - Cleaner in Vancouver, BC
    Current Contractor - Cleaner in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, good connections, regular pay, variety of location options, if you need a job that pays weekly with no experience required, Handy is a good place to start.

Cons

Poor rating system, pay could be better. Customers expect too much from contractors and many will not just give you a 5 star rating. Some customers make you do a lot of extras without tipping you at the end.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your cleaners as tools and treat them as people.

"Stay away from Handy Toronto"

Former Contractor - Cleaner Contractor in Toronto, ON
    Former Contractor - Cleaner Contractor in Toronto, ON

I worked at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Handy may not have a phone number in Toronto for customers and contractors to call but they provide fast communications via email through the app. The app always work and no issue to contact customers.

Cons

Handy states in their contract there will be a cancellation fee for jobs contractors claimed and removed. There was a problem with the app in that when I was on a specific day and switch from schedule to claim the app slide to another day. I did not plan on working the evening the app selected due to my b.day celebration. As soon as I realized the wrong day was selected it was removed immediately less than 1 minute. I then reached out to handy and explained handy decide to go ahead with the fee. I explained I can not work for a company that charges a fee for a simple error .. handy happily removed all jobs and say goodbye over a $20.00 fee.

Advice to Management

The contractors are the backbone of your company you have my ID and sent me happy b.day which now I know is fake. I have explained myself and handy do not care. There are people like me that will only work for a company that cares and have a heart. Handy is all about money. The contractors that does the hard end of the job.

"Dishonest, Sketchy, and no support."

Current Contractor - House Cleaner in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Great orientation. Nothing else I can think of. The first few weeks are great until you run into a discrepancy. they claim they keep good track of your GPS to assure they dont run into a discrepancy. However they can't even verify that I went to my job. Handy does send pros but they are run by a bunch of cons!

Cons

Everything after the orientation. I am in Toronto. On my second week into using their platform. I was directed to the wrong address. Keep in mind they will tell you that they will pay you for the job if the address on the platform is incorrect. Instead these guys just withheld my payment. I had to spend time getting ready and arrive to a non-existing address. When I sent an e-mail back they said they would "have to further look into the situation". It's pretty B.S when you tell people during orientation one thing and then rip them off for the money they rightfully earned. On top of that there is no number to contact in case an issue arises that you can't resolve, I understand that this is for "independent" contractors but the fact that I have to send an e-mail, wait half the day or two days for a response to a question via e-mail. They will honestly be bankrupt in a year or two if they fail to listen or follow the law. I honestly think they should be looked into by Canadian Labor Board. Anyway. Tell your friends and family through social media! This is a very untrustworthy company to work for.

Advice to Management

Fix your platform, manage the payments better because I'm sure contractors are all frustrated not being payed for certain jobs, while taking advantage of people looking for work. Please don't tell people during orientation that contractors recieve payments in full when you arrive at the wrong address they have provided for you. When in fact you end up penalizing the contractor through no fault of their own.

"Worst Work Experience of My Life"

Former Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Vancouver, BC
    Former Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Handy as a contractor

Pros

None of the pros I experienced have anything to do with Handy as a company. I worked for six months as a cleaner and have a university education. I enjoy physical work and didn't expect this to go on forever but I'm so shocked at the lack of integrity I quit earlier than I was planning. The pros have to do with the relationships I built with customers, which has nothing to do with Handy.

Cons

I, like other associates of Handy, often didn't get paid as promised and then had to go through hoops to get it sorted out. If you read the reviews of cleaners you aren't getting an accurate take on this company. I'll be telling everyone I know to steer clear from Handy. They cut off all customer service support to contractors in May 2015. You can't reach anyone on the phone anymore and I am no longer allowed to communicate with my city manager here in Vancouver, BC. Workers are left with an email support system. Even if you don't get paid and can't pay your rent, which happened to me, you have no recourse except to email and wait for their 48 hour response. If you're lucky and the associate is paying attention to your email message you might get something resolved. Otherwise you get a pat response with no resolution, which leave you with the option of emailing them again. Around and around you go with hopes of resolving your pay issues.

Bottom line, this is easily the worst company I've worked with in my entire life, and I'm 50. I would encourage everyone to read the reviews of actual staff who have worked inside the company, this is a perspective that cleaners can't give you. Cleaners are not associated with Handy staff anymore, so you will read the reviews of Handy staff and Handy cleaners, and they may as well being living on separate planets. They seem to be trying to disarm both customers and contractors by limiting service support, while hoping to rake in cash.

After they didn't pay me a promised bonus that amounted to $150, which put me short of my rent, I decided to quit. I don't have extra cash right now because my mom passed away and I was saddled with extra expenses as the executor of her will. I had factored the $150 into my
    very very tight budget to ensure my rent was paid and they never paid me. Handy shorted me $150 after I had worked two weeks straight with one day off in order to pay for expenses associated with my mother's passing.

I had had previous problems with Handy related to payment, but this was the last straw. I will wait to watch them go under, because this company has no integrity. You reap what you sow.

Advice to Management

God help you all.

"They are only Handy to themselves. Run Far Away from this scam."

Former Contractor - Independent Professional House Cleaner in North Vancouver, BC

I worked at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Do yourself a favor and heed this warning. If you must, work for them a month and then get out!!! The errors, dishonesty and lack of skills this company possesses will give you nothing but major stress in your life. Honestly, the only really good thing about this company was they supplied a lot clients and they did pay on time. But unless you work 7 days a week there is no way to get paid more than 500 a week (you will burn out fast doing this... I know, because I did.) out of which you need to pay for a cell phone with long distance charges and data, transportation (bus or your own personal car and increased insurance costs) , parking and your own cleaning supplies. The good reviews you will read on here are paid for, and arranged by, current customer service reps who offer free cleanings and other perks to their friends and family in exchange for BOGUS FAKE employee/contractor reviews written as if they work for the company when they don't. Read some of the Customer Service Rep reviews. Just try to find one review where the employee or contractor has been working with Handy for more than a year. The turnover in the company is huge. Most clients complain that they get a different cleaner every time because no one stays!!!

Cons

This company makes up the rules as they go along. Just like that "friend" in grade school did while playing monopoly!! The app that the customers download from google play clearly states that tips are included in the cost of cleaning services. Handy does not pay us tips and the customer thinks they dont need to tip us. Handy is currently being sued for this among many other things by former cleaners in a class action suit. Google it!! The rating system lacks integrity and accountability, meaning there is no way to know if it was really the customer or Handy themselves that are rating you low to keep your wages down. If your ratings fall below a certain number your hourly rate will also fall. Also, there is no way for you to make it right with the customer because you will never be told who rated you low or what the specific problem was. Just a generic they were not happy with the bathroom, or floor etc. Not even the type of floor. Was there footprints on the vacuum lines in the carpet or was the floor streaky or left unwashed?

My friend is still working for them until the end of June, if she can handle it that long. She just informed me that here is currently no way to contact the company if you have a problem with them or a problem at a job. The new contact number they have for the cleaners is non functional in the lower mainland of British Columbia.

Sometimes you arrive a job fully prepared to work, only to find out the client is not there, or worse yet, have the client turn you away stating that they cancelled this booking a week ago. Even if its not your fault, they only pay you for one hour at the lowest rate $15 and ONLY if you stay at the cancelled booking, parked outside, and check out after an hour. Meanwhile they pocket the cost of the entire job even if it was a 6 or 8 hour job, infuriating the customers. In fact Handy's rating on the Better Business Bureau is an F, Yes I said F, the lowest customer satisfaction rating that they can give. Then after that hour is up, you need to call them again, wait on hold for up to an hour and tell them you are leaving What a load of crap!!!

The app you are required to have on your phone to claim jobs, and check in and out of jobs keeps crashing. You can send a message from their app if you can get it to work, but don't expect a reply back for 48 hours if at all. You often wonder if the messages are even getting through. I sent 3 messages and still had NO REPLY nearly 2 weeks later. I ended up trying to address the concerns with a live agent the next time a customer cancelled at the door... why not I had an hour to sit there in the blazing sun in my car in front of the clients home with broken air conditioning. It was pointless and I could have spent my time better having a nap in my car. The contact numbers that they mask for the clients are long distance calls from Vancouver (more deductions off your pay). The company keeps changing it's policies and none of the customer service agents seem to get informed of the change so no one knows what is going on or what policy is in effect for sure. You can be told one thing by one CSA and told something completely different by another. You are told you will be paid for a cancellation and in reality you get nothing. When you complain, they say I am sorry you were misinformed. This feels a lot like lying to me.

The worst part about this company is it severely lacks integrity. They are dishonest to their contractors and to their clients, there is no cohesiveness and they don't know their right hand from their left. Most of the clients were customers that have never had a cleaner before and bought into one of the heavily marketed offers of a 2 hour house cleaning for $29 and are too cheap to pay for enough time to properly clean their house or apartment. All in all this company is only in it for the quick money. Once the money stops flowing, because the contractors wont work for them any more, or the customers get fed up with the crappy customer service, they will just abandon their professionals and clients and go start another scam.

Advice to Management

There is no point, you wont listen anyway. You are only in it for the money NOW, get your quick bucks and get out. You don't care about the future, if you did, you would not let all these negative reviews keep being posted, you would change policies to try to make us, your ability to make money, a little more secure and happier. Which would stop all the negative reviews. When this company fails (and it will, mark my words) you will just shut it down or find some poor dumb uneducated schmuck to buy it and go start another scam. However, with all these poor reviews I suspect your company will be worthless. You are despicable Mr CEO. You have very poor business ethics.