Handy "2 hours" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Handy Employee Reviews about "2 hours"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Cleaner"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

You chose where and when to work

Cons

There are not enough jobs. Clients usually have their homes nasty and expect you to clean in 2 hours

14 Dec, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We have new cities that we're operating in and we're working on ways to give more opportunities to the professionals accepted onto the Handy platform in these new cities. Thanks for your feedback!... More

"Handy is trash... Oh... The irony"

Current Contractor - Professional Cleaner in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule... I guess, you'd basically have to take every appointment available and then some

Cons

Was fired because someone claimed a pair of shoes were missing. No notification, no investigation. I had been on the platform for two years and had over 725+ jobs completed with a 78% 5 star rating and this was my only source of income, which was not even sustainable. Dont waste your time. Customers are typically trash. Ridiculous expectations, but want to get the lowest time ( 2 hours) but expect a deep clean of an entire house. You can really only clean a studio thoroughly in two hours. The attitudes of a lot of these clients tend to heir on the side of entitled and rude. The way the rating system is tied in with your pay you're pretty much a slave to the customer and have to do their bidding and stay hours over to complete the job frequently. The customers typically do not care about your time and totally expect you to stay over the time they actually paid for. Dont even think about setting the correct expectation at the beginning of the appointment or in the middle or end by telling them that they did not pay for enough time, they'll almost always take offense to it and it will reflect in your tip (lack their of) and definitely in your rating for sure. Anything under a 5 star rating drastically negatively impacts your rating. Mind you, I'm probably the best at this, if not one of the very top in the Los Angeles area, Handy is trash. after transportation/parking/buying your own supplies/ and all the free work you'll have to give up, its just not worth it. When you do have problems in the field, you can only reach out via email, though they typically respond really quickly, they often write you off immediately and I have gotten the feeling on several occasions that they did not work to completely read and understand what I had wrote before they replied, often leading to a back and forth in which I an ultimately found to be correct by another employee that responds and continues the email thread later in the day. Handy is totally frustrating. Not sure if the opportunities are dropping off or if the market is flooded or both. Handy reserves the right to change their rules and operations as much as they want. Have seen much change since 2015, largely unfavorable to the workers. Used to get client information the night before, now you only get it hours before the appointment. The window for which you can cancel an appoiment without penalty has been drastically decreased, but a client can cancel on you up to a hour before and you'll only get 15, mind you that slot took up a real appointment i could've had that i expected days leading up to the appointment. Handy is trash on so many levels

Advice to Management

You should definitely open communication with the cleaners on the ground to see how you can improve. You have many weaknesses. Should have an office position that actually works in the field so that you can more easily relate and identify foreseeable problems and circumstances before they arise.

9 Dec, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for feedback we greatly appreciate your honesty and all the hard work you've done on the platform.

3. "Terrible polices."

Current Contractor - Contractor in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Contractor - Contractor in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

None. You going to the job side with instructions sent to you last minute. You dont know if the house required deep cleaning or regular cleaning

Cons

Customer can reschedule the last minute and change the hours from 4 to 2, and you can not cancel it. Is not the same job if insted of 4 hours you have to clean 2 bed and 2 bath in 2 hours. And driving 20 miles to job site for 2 hours is not worth the pay

29 Aug, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Customers aren't able to reschedule their cleanings within 2-24 hours of the scheduled booking. Handy's booking minimum is 3 hours for cleaning and 2 hours for handyman services. If you're not able... More

"Handy Contractor"

Current Contractor - Contractor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Contractor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Flexible job hours for working individuals

Cons

They don't pay on time (2-3 weeks to get paid!)
    Hard to get a hold of anyone at Handy!
    No information on if job has parking or street parking
    Need to arrive 2 hours ahead of job to find parking
    Can't see details of job until your arrive - need ahead of time to bring needed supplies

Advice to Management

Do a better job of supporting contractors, they are the face of your brand!!
    Find a better payment processor to pay your contractors on time!!!
    Have a contact # for emergencies

17 Aug, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for feedback because this is insightful information. We have been creating new features for the pro app, those features are:

In-app chat -- talk directly with clients that have you on... More

"Worse company to work."

Current Contractor - Cleaner in Dana Point, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Cleaner in Dana Point, CA (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    You pick the location you want to work

Cons

Fee for canceling a job within 48 hours. Clients cancel jobs all the time within 14 hours or less and you are not able to find other job to replace on time. You don't get anything fee when that happens but if you need to cancel within 48 hours you pay a fee.
    Worse company to work. I feel like they just want to take for us as much they can. There is no incentive at all. Bad rating system. Clients expect 2 hours cleaning will give them the same as 5 hours.

Advice to Management

Should have an incentive program, as Uber and other companies have.
    Exemple, 1. when you complete a certain number of cleanings with good ratings you receive a bonus. 2. When a client request you back you should get a bonus, a raise on your hour or points/stars, something that the hard workers will feel appreciated and up to keep a great work.

11 Apr, 2017 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

It's our goal to make sure we create a platform that supports all cleaning professionals working on it. There's always room for improvement so we appreciate you sharing your feedback with us.... More

6. "mmm not sure"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

it is true that there are a lot of jobs available. The pay is fairly good, and with hard work/ dedication, one can actually make this a full time time job to live off of.

Cons

1. customers do often cancel
    2. customers do have unrealistic expectations which is not sizable because most jobs are only 2 hours. It is unrealistic to expect an extraordinary cleaning job is just 2 hours
    3. paying for your own parking in certain locations
    4. Ratings can negatively affect a cleaner. They are anonymous and broad without any details so the cleaner is left trying to figure out what they did wrong or how they could have done better
    5. I wish customers were more specific as to what they wanted. For example, I can see a bunch of clothes on the floor. Do I load it in the washer? Are they clean or dirty? Do I fold and hang them up? Do some need to be dry cleaned? When the customer is not available, it's difficult to figure out exactly what they want other than the general cleaning because some do not like cleaners going through their person things such as clothes.
    6. Some customer do not know that certain services are considered extras. Loading the dishwasher and washing/ loading laundry are all additional services and should not be expected if it has not been paid for prior.

Advice to Management

Better onboarding program for Cleaners
    APP Bugs
    Caring about the cleaners and their experiences with each customer especially those who give a poor rating. Two sides to every story

21 Dec, 2016 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. If you believe there is an error in the app let us know by sending an email to our engineering team here:

We are constantly trying to... More

7. "Ok company to work for"

Former Contractor - House Cleaner in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Contractor - House Cleaner in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Making your own schedule was a big plus while working there.
    If you're working full time you can make close to 20 dollars and hour if your clients rate your service high.

Cons

When I started we had more communication to our clients on the portal when I left almost two years later we had very minimal which made it difficult and inconvenient to work with them.
    We were unable to access the address for our houses until 2 hours before having to be there. This made it very difficult to claim jobs near where I lived. It could have been 10 min away or 30+ min drive away because we could only see the wide general region.
    Also impossible to contact management.

Advice to Management

At the end of 2014 when I started I really liked it and than with update after update it was obvious that the groups of people benefiting from the changes where the HQ employees and shareholders. By mid 2016 it was such a disappointment to work for them. Seriously unbelievable how difficult it was to get paid $20.00, contact management, know the address for our houses, be able to claim houses that were anywhere near where we wanted to work, contact our clients.

10 Nov, 2016 – Social Media Engagement Specialist

We strive to create a platform that supports both the professionals and customers who buy the services. We constantly try to learn about ways that we can improve the app and the experience for all... More

"Good Pay, Not so good business practices."

Former Contractor - House Cleaner in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - House Cleaner in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Handy as a contractor

Pros

I signed on for the pay and the flexibility.

Cons

This is another one of those companies who does not value the people they hire. I signed on with them, and began working within the week. I already had on the job cleaning experience but working for Handy was a bit different than my past experience.

Handy only does routine cleaning. They do not do deep cleaning/ stain removal. When a customer creates a booking they input the number of bedrooms and bathrooms and they add on the kitchen and dusting and vacuuming etc. You purchase your own supplies.

In my first week I was called out to several bookings that were in the deep cleaning category. Meaning they were straight up nasty. A layer of long black hairs on the floor of every room, mold in the bathrooms, crud and funk and what looked to be boogers on walls. One home had rodent feces in floor of kitchen. The toilet brush was so old it literally disintegrated when I tried to clean the funkified toilet bowl with it. The people who had pets had an unbelievable amount of pet hair. My vacuum still stinks like dog when I run it. These homes/apartments had clearly not been touched in a year or more. The customers, not looking to break their budgets, only sign up for 2 hours of cleaning, yet have this long list of tasks. None of my customers could figure out how to add more time to the booking in their app! I was not able to either.

I also had several bookings of homes that were clean and wanted routine cleaning, but had more rooms and bathrooms than they were disclosing on the app. Also the app does not account for home size. I had a booking that not only added an extra bath but the kitchen alone was 650 sq feet. My vacuum cord was not long enough to reach all the stairs because this home was so massive ( maybe 4,000 sq ft of carpet?). The home owner had me use her $1,000 vacuum but reported me to Handy as being unprepared.

One woman wanted all of her grout scrubbed with Soft Scrub in the kitchen and stated that is her main thing and she would give 5 stars if I got all her grout clean. The grout was falling out and crumbling in some places, grease stained in others and looked no different after I scrubbed it with a grout brush and and soft scrub as she requested. She also tacked on extra rooms and extra vacuuming to the order during walk through.

One booking listed a two bedrooms and two bathrooms but the home was under construction and the dust was so bad it was not a routine cleaning- and there was not two bathrooms there was actually three. When cleaning floors the app never accounts for hall ways and stairs and those take time too.

People and ratings are very fickle. Let me tell you, almost no one tips. Twice I received a decent tip. For a sixty dollar job most people offer 5 bucks if any.

There was absolutely no guidance or mentor ship to help when I got started. I had to write in to Handy for guidance and even then, they were vague and not a 100% helpful. It took me about a week to get the hang of it and to know when to inform a customer that they need to adjust the size of the booking or that we don't do deep cleaning jobs like this. However I would have been stuck with it anyways.

Some customers don't even rate you if the job is to satisfaction, they only rate when its not. So week one I struggled until I reached out to handy for more clarification and guidance on booking policies because it seemed like these jobs were not going how they were supposed to. Week two I actually had two out of three five star jobs and my rating was going up, however with only 13 days on the platform I was terminated via text message and email.

I spent a lot of money on supplies, which I will be writing the entire thing off as a loss on my taxes. There are actually some articles out there on the web on what a mess this company is and how unfair the rating system is, and how there is frequent theft by cleaners, and how so many contractors get terminated from this company from having bad bookings. I signed on anyways and thought what the heck, I'm a really hard worker. Turns out they were right.

Its a bummer they lost an honest, dedicated hard worker. I probably would have been doing 5-10 jobs a week, every week. I would have definitely been able to turn the ratings around. Due to how much I spent on supplies I would not recommend signing on to this company.

Advice to Management

Developing cleaner to cleaner mentor ship.
    Creating some videos on what happens when you get to a house that is not upfront about the number of baths and bedrooms or overall size of the home.
    Creating a video on what you do when you get to a booking that requires deep cleaning.
    Make sure customers know they can add more time to the booking and how they can do that. No one could figure it out!
    Giving a period of 30 days before terminating people for poor ratings considering you offer no mentor ship and customers can be dishonest and fickle. Perhaps customers don't understand that we don't offer deep cleaning services. All they know is their house is nasty and they can hire a slave and expect them to clean their whole nasty house in under three hours, then give a poor rating if its not all finished despite that fact some one worked like a slave.

Your rating system is not practical. Too much power is given to customers. They don't know 4 stars is actually a bad rating.

""platform for how they treat cleaning professionals is literally immoral""

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to manage your own schedule. The end.I need 20 words minimum for this section, but there's literally no other pro.

Cons

Everything else. I have never met a company that cared so little about the people working on their platform. I've reached out NUMEROUS times, and I'm pretty sure the customer service team doesn't read the emails. They ALWAYS send the same generic copy/paste handy pro 101 response from the help section...every time. They'll also switch you to a location entirely different than what you selected 2 hours before your booking...by then you're basically screwed if you cancel because you'll get charged a fee. Giving you the option to select what area you want to work in as a joke...they'll literally send you anywhere...no matter how far outside the area you claimed it is. The rating system is also complete BS. Even with proof that a customer gave you a bad rating because you refused an unreasonable request (e.g someone asking me to WATCH THEIR KIDS because I finished a 2hr booking earlier). I completed ALL the tasks the customer was requesting. Customer was happy with service, but when I communicated that I can't perform services not listed on platform and that I'm not comfortable watching their kids while they ran errands bc I was done early...1 star rating...saying I left early.....they'll also let customers review you even though you didn't enter their homes to clean. If a customer is a no show for example...they STILL get asked you to review cleaners...how does that make sense!? Handy still charges customers who are a no show so guess where they'll take their frustration out on!!

My advice - GET OUT or hang in there until the next class action suit happens. It's happened before and it will happen again. Until then...do what you can to advocate for yourself! If a customer has an unreasonable request, show them check list on app and explain that you'll get in trouble for working outside of it. I know handy doesn't have our back, but PLEASE don't be afraid to firmly, but politely push back against requests you're not getting paid to do.

Advice to Management

Your cleaners are PEOPLE. NOT mules! Have a better check and balance system in place so we're not getting screwed every time by YOU and irrational customers.

"Customers Lie & you get fired with no questions!"

Current Contractor - Self Employed Cleaner in New York, NY (US)
    Current Contractor - Self Employed Cleaner in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Flexible hours, Your your own boss?

Cons

Customers want so much for 2 hours & if you can't meet their needs they complain! Then Handy lays you off with no questions asked!! Then they don't pay you for the time you worked. Most of the apartments are sooo dirty that it takes 2 hours just to clean the bathroom! But handy does not care because they only want the money, Its a scam company if you ask me. Customers pay handy $54 for 2 hours and we only get paid $30 WTH! Then if you have to cancel they charge you $40 or $20 depending on the time frame. HOT MESS!
    Oh & your app sucks!!!

Advice to Management

No one can clean a dirty apartment in 2 hours. You need to rework the system or get your lazy azz out and see what your workers are talking about.