Habanero Consulting Group Reviews

Updated May 11, 2021

4.6
Habanero Consulting Group President Steven Fitzgerald (no image)
Steven Fitzgerald
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work if you are a high-performer and desire role flexibility and autonomy

May 11, 2021 - Interaction Designer in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wellness and technology allowances, rrsp matching, peer to peer coaching, role flexibility, high trust, high autonomy, lots of talent within the organization, inclusive and authentic culture

Cons

No traditional people management roles due to flat organizational structure, don't expect profit sharing every year, workloads for delivery roles will ebb and flow considerably depending on demand from clients

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture

May 8, 2021 - Senior Consultant in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture. Awesome people. Ethical.

Cons

Overall a great company to work for, but a bit volatile and unpredictable.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Passionate People, A Great Place to Work

Feb 19, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

There's a reason why they've been on the Great Place to Work list in Canada for the last 9 years. Habanero is the best place I've ever worked. You can show up as your full, whole self and do great work that you're passionate about. Some really exciting projects and strong teams across functional areas. Lots of variety in projects and clients. Love the human-centered philosophy and design approach. The Toronto office is open concept with break-out rooms and board rooms, a really close-knit team filled with awesome people. A casual and genuine work environment. Purpose-driven, great culture, awesome people, opportunities to grow and learn, flexible schedule, options to work from home, flexibility to work from other offices, technology allowance, health spending account, extended medical and dental coverage, profit sharing, RRSP matching, fully stocked kitchens, bagel day on Tuesdays, Friday team lunches, cake on birthdays, beer fridge, flat structure, autonomy, each employee has a career coach, a collaborate approach towards work, high-functioning teams, a supportive work environment where people genuinely care about each other.

Cons

Can't think of any cons... There is a lot of collaboration across different national time zones (Vancouver, Winnipeg, & Calgary), so one sometimes might work a bit later in the EST (there is a lot of flexibility with schedules though so it all evens out). Salary base might not be the highest, but the compensation package as a whole is very competitive. If you're looking for your 'tribe', and a place to dig into your passion and purpose, Habanero is the right spot for you.

Habanero Consulting Group Response

Thank you for leaving this review! We are proud to be a Great Place to Work and I'm glad to learn that you agree with this; your insight allows us to continuously improve. We truly do care about our employees, encourage them to be their whole selves and do work that they're passionate about, so it's rewarding that this is consistent with your experience and correlates with our values. Our geographic expansion across different time zones may pose challenges, but it's nothing that some successful scheduling and collaboration can't alleviate. It's awesome that you feel you have found your community with us and that you get to dig into your passion and purpose. Thanks again for your feedback and we appreciate you being at Habanero.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic place to work

Feb 18, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Habanero has been voted one of the best places to work in Canada every year, and it's with good reason. They run a really good shop here, and genuinely trust you with the work. It is for self motivated individuals, who aren't afraid to take on the work. The team is super friendly and they have so many perks.

Cons

The teams are split between three offices, so you must be prepared to working with team members who aren't necessarily in the office.

Habanero Consulting Group Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We work hard on fostering a positive company culture and I'm so glad to learn that you appreciate it. We do seek self-motivated and passionate individuals, they're what makes Habanero such a great place to work! As we've learnt through working remotely, being part of a team who isn't physically there may pose some challenges from time to time. This is why we work hard to make sure everyone at Habanero has the best tools that we can provide for working together from afar, allowing us to connect between our Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and Winnipeg offices. This makes our geographic expansion and being on a cross regional team just another perk of being a part of the Habanero team. We appreciate this review and thank you for being at Habanero.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great culture, great people

Nov 5, 2019 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

some of the best people I've ever worked with open and transparent leadership safe environment - kind, supportive and tolerant of trying and not necessarily nailing it

Cons

flat structure - not for everyone small org so not a traditional career path - you need to forge your own and get advocacy from your coach and mentors Not the highest salaries, but the rest of the benefits, quality of work and colleagues make up for it

Habanero Consulting Group Response

Thank you for leaving this review on your experience at Habanero, I'm so glad you enjoy working with us! Our people really make us a great place to work. Our positive environment, partially attributed to our flat structure, is critical to successful and meaningful work. In our untraditional hierarchy, we provide Employee Journey coaches and mentors to ensure success and provide guidance for all employees. We believe that the world of work is also about overall human experiences, so it's great to hear that you appreciate many elements of working at Habanero besides salary. Thanks again for taking the time to write this review.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Canada's best workplace realized.

Jan 20, 2020 - Interaction Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flat structure, open communication and a desire for everyone to be in a win-win environment.

Cons

Need to be very self-sufficient and a great self-starter to thrive.

Habanero Consulting Group Response

Thank you for leaving this review, I'm happy to learn that you appreciated our flat structure, open communication and goal of achieving a win-win environment for all! We do find that self-starters do well here at Habanero. We find that sometimes new folks do need a little time to get used to the autonomy that we enjoy to work in the way that let's each of us bring our own brilliance. The combination of our employees' self-sufficiency with our resources, such as Employee Journey coaches, provides all employees with the opportunity to thrive. Thanks again for this review and helping us continuously improve.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Truly an exceptional workplace

Apr 25, 2019 - Director, Employee Experience in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are in service to each other. Hi levels of psychological safety, trust and dependability, transparency, autonomy, work-life harmony (flexible working arrangements), super smart and caring colleagues, ability to build mastery and align purpose...I could go on

Cons

Career progression can be challenging for people who need clear lines and structure, if you like risk-taking or making fast decisions this might not be the place for you (very collaborative and thoughtful process)

2 people found this review helpful

Habanero Consulting Group Response

Thank you for leaving this review, we appreciate your feedback! As we are continuously looking to better our approaches, we still have work to do. Room to innovate and better ways to serve the communities we belong to are totally worthy goals that align pretty well with our vision and purpose. It's great to hear your appreciation for the many positive elements of the Habanero environment. Due to our collaborative and flat structure, Habanero best serves those who are self-sufficient and passionate about the work they do, which of course isn't for everybody. Thanks again for your review and we wish you the best in your career journey.

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Developer, IT, Support, Quality Assurance

Jan 18, 2020 - IT Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

People centric, less process and friction, niche areas are focussed

Cons

No growth, No leadership, Often old employees will be favoured

Habanero Consulting Group Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. It's always troubling to learn that a Habanero alumnus had a negative experience because enjoying work life is one of the things that we care most about as a company. You listed "no leadership" in your review so I wanted to comment a bit on how we think about leadership. Habanero has a very flat structure, so for us leadership comes from ideas and effort rather than titles and seniority. This means that everyone has quite a lot of autonomy to work their talents, including leadership, in the ways they know best. This model is not for everyone, but it works well for us. You also mentioned a bias towards longer-tenured employees. Without knowing the details of your experience I can only guess that you feel that you've experienced an unfair bias, which never feels good. The tricky thing about bias is that it's often the consequence of a blind spot, which is why shinning a light on it is so important for us. I can honestly say that we care deeply about fairness in all our people decisions, especially the hard ones, so we will definitely be reflecting on this feedback you've provided. Lastly, your review listed "no growth" as a con. Ironically, growth has been a theme for us in the last while. As a company we are about 20% larger than we were last year, which means our career coaches have been especially focused on supporting each of us in learning new roles and new ways to lead each other in doing great work. I want to share too that even when employees decide to leave Habanero to pursue the next stage in their career, they almost always talk about how much they valued the growth they experienced during their time at Habanero. I am sorry if you felt differently. I was very happy to hear that you appreciated the "people centric" environment, with less unnecessary process, less friction and a focus on our strengths. Those are all things that we strive for, so that's great feedback for us! I wish you all the best in your career journey. Thanks again for your review. - James, Director of Employee Experience

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

One of the best companies to work for in Canada

Jun 24, 2019 - Senior Consultant in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Insanely awesome culture Competent coworkers Very very transparent leadership Top notch work life balance

Cons

Mediocre pay Everything else is awesome

Habanero Consulting Group Response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts on working at Habanero. I'm glad that you appreciate our excellent culture, team, leadership and work-life balance ratio; all of which are very important to us at Habanero. Keeping in mind some of the many pros to working with us that you mentioned, pay is only one of the many aspects of the employee experience. Thanks again for your review, it's great that you find Habanero awesome!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

So far so good ...

Oct 5, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have only been here a short while, but it has been a company I have wanted to work at for several years. I can honestly say that its even better from the inside than it looks like from the outside. Once you get past the very tough interview process, you welcomed by an incredible group of people. Again keeping this very short as I have only been her a while, but so far so good!

Cons

Nothing as of right now

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 Reviews