HUB International Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

HUB International President Marc Cohen
Marc Cohen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "They promote work/life balance but do not help you achieve it" (in 10 reviews)

• "With absolutely no room for growth, many are pushed to leave and find work elsewhere to continue growing in their career" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Organization, Great Employer!"

Current Employee - Personal Insurance Advisor in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Personal Insurance Advisor in Windsor, ON

I have been working at HUB International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunity for career development. Great people to work for and amazing people to work with.

Cons

No complaints, very positive place to be.

Advice to Management

None. Keep up the good work!

2. "Personal Lines Account Manager"

Current Employee - Personal Lines Account Manager in Saint John, NB
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Account Manager in Saint John, NB

I have been working at HUB International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far I have had more appreciate and kinds words than I did with a company I spent 10 years with. It really goes a long way with an employee feels gratitude.

Cons

I have not complaints as of now

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are!

"Account Associate"

I have been working at HUB International full-time

Pros

Good environment to learn and grow your knowledge

Cons

Barely any salary increases. Lots of politics.

4. "Personal Insurance Account Manager"

Current Employee - Personal Insurance Account Manager in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Personal Insurance Account Manager in Windsor, ON

I have been working at HUB International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment. Supportive management. Low stress most times. Fair commission structure. Plenty of perks during and outside of company hours.

Cons

Hard to think of any cons. I remember the initial training process takes a bit of time and isn't structured like most jobs I've had, but management understands that and has realistic expectations. The company knows about this and I believe will improve it.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. It's nice to not have management hover over you while you work. They are there to support you and they actually still have their own small book of business so they know what's going on in the industry.

5. "Do Not Recommend - Avoid Accounting/Finance Department"

Former Employee - Junior Financial Analyst in Oakville, ON
    Former Employee - Junior Financial Analyst in Oakville, ON

I worked at HUB International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provides tuition reimbursement, discount insurance benefits and good general employee benefits.

Cons

The worst job I've ever worked in my life. Poor management - condescending and does not know how to manage a team or provide training to entry level positions. Got screamed at and compared to other employees by the controller with their office door open and coworkers and other departments cubicles beside their office at 3 months into the job. The pay is below market average. The team sees extremely high turnover, probably due to very long work hours (12-16 hours) days during month ends or quarter ends, poor salary and poor management. Additionally, management within the accounting/finance department are catty and bureaucratic. Not for someone looking for a positive or supportive role to grow into.

Advice to Management

Ensure those in position of management know how to manage. Hold management workshops and listen to employee concerns. Address departments with usually high turnovers, it happens for a reason.

6. "HUB International"

I have been working at HUB International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small town employment if that’s an option.

Cons

Feeling like a number. No employee recognition!

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging.

7. "What do you do when HR is the problem?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at HUB International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many other employees who suffer the same horrible treatment from the Chief of HR so you always have someone to commiserate with

Cons

The HR department is run by a bunch of children (average age is early 20's) with zero experience who are sycophants one believes can be manipulated. If you show you have a mind of your own or a conscience then Chief's quickly turn on you. There is no support for employees. This department in not run by anyone who has the employee's best interests at heart. Instead the desperation to be accepted by the rest of the executive team means lower level employees get thrown under the bus so a Chief can save face. If leaders within HR treat employees this bad then imagine how the rest of the company treats one another. If a Chief is allowed to bully employees, yells and swears at them then how can you expect respect from anyone else? Employees have tried reaching out to the highest level in the company's HR department in Manitoba seeking support for things such as sexual harassment, medical issues and even mental exhaustion due to their work environment only to have individuals at the highest level of this department flat out reject an employees claim, offer no support, speak about these issues to other employees, and inevitably lose that person as an employee. A truly terrible environment.

Advice to Management

Restructure your entire HR department starting with the highest level. It sets a horrible example of what a leader should be and how to treat employees. Just look at the massive turnover within the small team over the last few years. It has all been people who fled because they were tired of being treated poorly and working in an unethical department. Employees have no faith since Chief's are known to be bullies and talk horribly about employees to other employees. This is very unprofessional. The lack of respect and professionalism then trickles down through the company. A company's HR department should be there for the employees, not tear employees down to make yourself look better.

"Lack of culture & on boarding/low pay for work load"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at HUB International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many pros to discuss

Cons

Management looks the other way at lazy employees. Lack of on boarding organization. Very slow to adapt to what employees are looking for..will have trouble retaining top talent. Behind the times in regards to online presence

Advice to Management

Offer your employees better pay commensurate with expectations. Offer bonuses to Associates & Assistants

"Great when presented, terrible when you're in it"

Former Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at HUB International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The events and functions hosted by the various broking partners are a great way to network and meet some very bright people in the industry

Cons

Complete lack of support by both colleagues and managers - it really didn't seem as if they wanted to help or provide feedback regarding questions. Lack of onboarding - no introduction into workflows or standards and how things are done and no introduction into markets or products. Stiff culture and less than engaging colleagues - culture was very stiff, colleagues were unwilling to engage in conversation

Advice to Management

My criticisms aren't indicative of the organization as a whole as there are some great people that work here, however there are a few bad apples that spoil the bunch. Have an effective onboarding process - setting up any potential new hires for failure is sure fire way to set up your competitors for success

10. "Commercial Insurance Account Manager"

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager

I have been working at HUB International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Accommodating of my disability, and attentive to their employees needs. Recognizes employees for positive job performance. Great benefits for employees. Always checking in to make sure I am comfortable in my position and if I need help or training. Room for growth and courses offered to increase knowledge and grow within the company.

Cons

Training was a bit excessive for me, but understandable given the industry.

Advice to Management

None