HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fantastic"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Vancouver, BC

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, dynamic, fast paced.

Cons

Lack of change control / ITIL framework.

Advice to Management

Implement some ITIL best practice strategies

2. "Good company avg salary"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

- Fun brand to work for
    - beautiful offices
    - good location

Cons

- salaries are not the best
    - not a ton of room for growth

3. "Anonynous"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

Great culture. Many talented people working at head office. Very little ego, politics, finger-pointing, smack talking. Fast paced and multi-faceted but overall low stress.

Cons

Process and systems still need some work, as the company has gone from small to big very quickly. Sometimes a little chaotic with the lack of process.

Pay is on the lower side of the spectrum compared to other companies in the same industry.

Advice to Management

Work on developing more structured processes and systems and consider implementing more competitive compensation packages in order to keep attracting and keeping awesome talent.

4. "Product Developer"

Current Employee - Product Development in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Product Development in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly/social environment, great Canadian brand, fast paced and exciting. Opportunity to be involved in process making. Fresh fruit, snacks and coffee bar for employees. Great work/life balance even for working parents. Fair compensation, benefits and vacation time. Casual dress code. You have the opportunity to really carve out your job role as the job description will change with time. Great work site with music, lots of light and fair sized work stations. Young company with so much growth potential. Amazing entrepreneurial outlook and positioning in the market. Constantly challenging and not boring at all.

Cons

Fast paced sometimes informal work environment. Constantly changing workload. Must be agile and resilient to work with the flow. Must be able to work with many levels of communication. Sink or swim environment, you are responsible for a lot of your own training and learning on the job. Important to be multi-faceted in your job as demands change, you must keep up.

Advice to Management

Keep finding people who are excited and agile in their work to bring onto the team. Ensure people have a fair level of experience and are interested in having a multi-faceted job description. People who need constant reassurance or hand holding need not apply.

5. "Once in a lifetime place to be."

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

I don't understand some of the negative views of herschel supply here. It may be due to the lack of previous experience in other workplaces. But what I would say, from working in many environments is that this is by far the most fast-paced, challenging, engaging, and dynamic place you can be to hone your skill set and grow your career.

Major pro is the fact that no two days will ever be the same, if you are looking for a 9-5 punch-in punch-out type of environment, this is not it. That I can say with certainty.

The entrepreneurial spirit of the place is infectious. If you have something you can contribute, you are challenged to take the first steps and drive the project forward. I rarely have ever head "thats not your job".

You have the opportunity to own your role and define it as the company continuously grows (fast). This means doors open up within the company and in new markets they enter.

Two passionate founders means this place has a family business feeling that makes you feel like you are a part of something bigger than a corporate space.

Cons

Fast moving environments tend to come with process and communication issues. This is a symptom of the explosive growth, but with each month things tend to tighten up, trying to catch up to global growth.

As a start-up type of environment, with it comes a lack of HR and leadership type of programs or training you many get from some larger organizations.

As some others have stated, parking is tight and I would recommend buying a bike if you don't want to be circling the block for half an hour.

Advice to Management

Firstly, thank you for the amazing company you have created. secondly, Invest in your people and your people will invest in you. There are some unbelievable talents at all levels in the company, these talents need to be inspired retained with programs and career growth opportunities.

6. "Enjoying my stay!"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I read people's reviews saying there are no pro's to working here, it really makes me think that they are not giving a fair review. The benefits, growth opportunities, perks I have received in my time working here are above and beyond.

Pros:
    -Start up mindset, everything can always be improved and innovated.
    -Working for a company that is genuinely passionate about the products they are creating
    -The power to make almost immediate change, minimal hoops to jump through to get things done
    -Almost everyone that works here is super chill, open to giving and receiving feedback without ego
    -Beer Friday!
    -You see Jamie and Lyndon around the office all the time, they are not some mysterious CEO that never interacts with other employees and you get to see the passion they have for the company

I feel like there is more but needless to say my experience has been really positive so far, especially in comparison to every other job I have had in similar environments.

Cons

The company seem to be growing continuously so there are slight growing pains as far as communication (the office is on two floors so sometimes there can be a slight disconnect between the two).

This has already been addressed at town hall meetings and I feel pretty confident that people are actively working to make that better.

The office is also in Railtown in the same building as Aritzia which is fun, but not ideal if you are taking transit. It's never seemed dangerous but you can tell its a stone's throw away from Hastings/Main area.

Advice to Management

Remain passionate about what you are doing, as it is contagious for those who work around you! Continue to make efforts to improve communication between the two floors.

"Best Manager I have ever had !!"

Current Employee - Office Facilities in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Office Facilities in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am very fortunate to have the Best Manager I have had in all my working years. Very supportive, always able to have a laugh or two or three each day. Completley different atmosphere than any other place I have worked....fast paced, casual & mostly very friendly co-workers (will always get a few co-workers that you could really do without seeing on a daily basis)....Get paid every other Friday and pay cheques don't bounce (had that happened in previous jobs)....nice offices

Cons

I think the only con is the location of the offices......Downtown east-side with lots of homeless people, drug users, needles, garbage etc etc to get from where my bus drops me off.....not a pleasant walk to & from Transit each day....really need a car to get here but lack of parking is a problem.

Advice to Management

I think the compensation could be higher.....Herschel seems to be doing very well $$$ and I would think that Management should recognize the contributions of staff that enable Herschel to get $$$$$

"Chaotic Energy, Fast Moving, Laden with Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly energetic local company where all departments are located in the same building. There is a lot of opportunity here for someone who is intelligent, perceptive and hardworking.

In a very short time, the company has grown from a office in a basement in Gastown, and now has offices and warehouses overseas. With the right attitude and sense of urgency, you can move within your department or even to a different one where you feel you are better suited.

Contributions made to the organization are visible, and the company runs a pretty flat structure, and employees are free to chat and mingle between departments -- accounting, logistics, design, marketing.

Work hard, work fast, see things, go places.

Cons

Things and people move fast at this company, and employees looking for structure, coddling and hand-holding won't find it here. The company is fairly large now, by Vancouver standards, and efforts and failures are quickly evident throughout the organization. No one's going to nurse you and provide participation trophies. If you have poor communication skills (listening and speaking) you're going to fall behind.

Managers are new and inexperienced, but that's because most of the teams and their leaders have grown large without underlying infrastructure; managers are essentially workers who have been promoted to their position. For most part, middle management is immature in terms of ability to lead and mentor. The company is young, and runs like a start-up still, and this is both a pro and a con.

Parking is very limited, but this is not unusual in the Railtown area.

Advice to Management

Time would be well-invested in determining structure and systems, both for communication, operations and feedback. It would be amazing to better track and document successes and failures, employee contributions, weaknesses, etc.

The company has grown very fast, but needs to slow down, take a deep breath, a step back, and evaluate big-picture planning, and from there determine and establish structure within its sub-organizations and teams.

Engage experienced consultants, commit and consider and apply suggestions.

There also seems to be a lot of feedback regarding 'low wages'. This could be a matter of setting expectations when an employee is hired. It wold be unfair if raises that were promised were unrealized, but from what has been written, this does not appear to be the case. It's curious as to why the employees have the perception that their salaries are low -- if they were too low, why did they accept the job in the first place? At the same time, there are no complaints regarding benefits. Perhaps properly equating and communicating the value of both benefits and salary would provide a better perception of 'fair pay'.

"Review"

Pros

I'm quite fortunate to have a supportive manager who encourages professional growth. He takes time to explain not just the task itself, but the greater picture. He recognizes that our field of work is a collective effort and is open to suggestions and new ideas. The job itself is quite stressful but working with a great team makes it worth the while.

Cons

Cramped working space. No parking. Below industry pay for my job description. Major IT issues which are a hinderance to doing a decent job.

"Poor Culture and lack of opportunities!"

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice snacks, awesome product launch parties, unlimited booze on Fridays. You get to claim overtime hours all you want and get time-in-lieu after. Qtr-end dinners and team bonding events.

Cons

The Finance team is poorly run! A couple unqualified people managing the team of more competent members. The environment in Finance is highly toxic but I can say the same about other teams too... Don't see myself committing much longer!

Advice to Management

It starts with HR! Let HR do its job in listening (and taking action) to disgruntled staff all across different departments. The turnover rate will only get worse... experienced/competent people soon to be replaced by waves of incompetent people... it's not about ability and dedication anymore to get what you deserve at Herschel! Very sad indeed!