HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.8
HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Managing Directors Lyndon & Jamie Cormack
Lyndon & Jamie Cormack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company and people - if the money's right, take the job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Energetic workforce that is generally very positive and encouraging (think the opposite of a draining workplace).

-Pays on time - a lot of people think this is a given but you'll be surprised how bad other employers are about this.

-Opportunity to rise as it's a growing company that is expanding organically. There isn't a lot of formal career progression mapped out, but I know they're working to fix this quickly.

Cons

-Being a younger company, some areas/depts don't have as much structure. However in other ways this is a positive (more flexibility, less red tape, more opportunity to craft your own change).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The company has grown rapidly and will start to plateau. This is where your resolve to run a stable ship will be valuable... also don't try to take the company!

2. "Great Company to Start Career"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to get your foot in the door in the field of accounting. Management team are supportive and is always willing to listen. The expectation is always high and

Cons

-Limited room for growth
    -employee training program are limited
    -on going coaching(1 on 1's) are far in between
    -Salary is slightly below market

Advice to Management

Invest back in your greatest assets: your employees. Although focus in growth, sales is crucial to the business; none of it would happen if it wasn't for the team that works under you.

3. "Product"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

young, fun, flexibility, work/life balance

Cons

lack of accountability. No defined rolls or responsibilities

4. "It's a special place - but it's not for everyone."

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

- high-growth, fast-paced environment
    - some of the most passionate people work here
    - opportunities to learn, build and create.
    - growth is there if you are proactive and can function outside of what's "traditional".

Cons

- not clear on what the company is about - values, purpose, etc.
    - lack of structure and processes - this will be important to focus on as the company continues to grow.

Advice to Management

It's time to get a CEO and start focusing on culture and developing your employees. Build your foundation now, so you are solid for the future.

5. "Good company avg salary"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

- Fun brand to work for
    - beautiful offices
    - good location

Cons

- salaries are not the best
    - not a ton of room for growth

6. "Anonynous"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

Great culture. Many talented people working at head office. Very little ego, politics, finger-pointing, smack talking. Fast paced and multi-faceted but overall low stress.

Cons

Process and systems still need some work, as the company has gone from small to big very quickly. Sometimes a little chaotic with the lack of process.

Pay is on the lower side of the spectrum compared to other companies in the same industry.

Advice to Management

Work on developing more structured processes and systems and consider implementing more competitive compensation packages in order to keep attracting and keeping awesome talent.

7. "Product Developer"

Current Employee - Product Development in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Product Development in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly/social environment, great Canadian brand, fast paced and exciting. Opportunity to be involved in process making. Fresh fruit, snacks and coffee bar for employees. Great work/life balance even for working parents. Fair compensation, benefits and vacation time. Casual dress code. You have the opportunity to really carve out your job role as the job description will change with time. Great work site with music, lots of light and fair sized work stations. Young company with so much growth potential. Amazing entrepreneurial outlook and positioning in the market. Constantly challenging and not boring at all.

Cons

Fast paced sometimes informal work environment. Constantly changing workload. Must be agile and resilient to work with the flow. Must be able to work with many levels of communication. Sink or swim environment, you are responsible for a lot of your own training and learning on the job. Important to be multi-faceted in your job as demands change, you must keep up.

Advice to Management

Keep finding people who are excited and agile in their work to bring onto the team. Ensure people have a fair level of experience and are interested in having a multi-faceted job description. People who need constant reassurance or hand holding need not apply.

8. "Fantastic"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Vancouver, BC

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, dynamic, fast paced.

Cons

Lack of change control / ITIL framework.

Advice to Management

Implement some ITIL best practice strategies

9. "Once in a lifetime place to be."

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

I don't understand some of the negative views of herschel supply here. It may be due to the lack of previous experience in other workplaces. But what I would say, from working in many environments is that this is by far the most fast-paced, challenging, engaging, and dynamic place you can be to hone your skill set and grow your career.

Major pro is the fact that no two days will ever be the same, if you are looking for a 9-5 punch-in punch-out type of environment, this is not it. That I can say with certainty.

The entrepreneurial spirit of the place is infectious. If you have something you can contribute, you are challenged to take the first steps and drive the project forward. I rarely have ever head "thats not your job".

You have the opportunity to own your role and define it as the company continuously grows (fast). This means doors open up within the company and in new markets they enter.

Two passionate founders means this place has a family business feeling that makes you feel like you are a part of something bigger than a corporate space.

Cons

Fast moving environments tend to come with process and communication issues. This is a symptom of the explosive growth, but with each month things tend to tighten up, trying to catch up to global growth.

As a start-up type of environment, with it comes a lack of HR and leadership type of programs or training you many get from some larger organizations.

As some others have stated, parking is tight and I would recommend buying a bike if you don't want to be circling the block for half an hour.

Advice to Management

Firstly, thank you for the amazing company you have created. secondly, Invest in your people and your people will invest in you. There are some unbelievable talents at all levels in the company, these talents need to be inspired retained with programs and career growth opportunities.

10. "Enjoying my stay!"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I read people's reviews saying there are no pro's to working here, it really makes me think that they are not giving a fair review. The benefits, growth opportunities, perks I have received in my time working here are above and beyond.

Pros:
    -Start up mindset, everything can always be improved and innovated.
    -Working for a company that is genuinely passionate about the products they are creating
    -The power to make almost immediate change, minimal hoops to jump through to get things done
    -Almost everyone that works here is super chill, open to giving and receiving feedback without ego
    -Beer Friday!
    -You see Jamie and Lyndon around the office all the time, they are not some mysterious CEO that never interacts with other employees and you get to see the passion they have for the company

I feel like there is more but needless to say my experience has been really positive so far, especially in comparison to every other job I have had in similar environments.

Cons

The company seem to be growing continuously so there are slight growing pains as far as communication (the office is on two floors so sometimes there can be a slight disconnect between the two).

This has already been addressed at town hall meetings and I feel pretty confident that people are actively working to make that better.

The office is also in Railtown in the same building as Aritzia which is fun, but not ideal if you are taking transit. It's never seemed dangerous but you can tell its a stone's throw away from Hastings/Main area.

Advice to Management

Remain passionate about what you are doing, as it is contagious for those who work around you! Continue to make efforts to improve communication between the two floors.