HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

1. "Enjoying my stay!"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I read people's reviews saying there are no pro's to working here, it really makes me think that they are not giving a fair review. The benefits, growth opportunities, perks I have received in my time working here are above and beyond.

Pros:
    -Start up mindset, everything can always be improved and innovated.
    -Working for a company that is genuinely passionate about the products they are creating
    -The power to make almost immediate change, minimal hoops to jump through to get things done
    -Almost everyone that works here is super chill, open to giving and receiving feedback without ego
    -Beer Friday!
    -You see Jamie and Lyndon around the office all the time, they are not some mysterious CEO that never interacts with other employees and you get to see the passion they have for the company

I feel like there is more but needless to say my experience has been really positive so far, especially in comparison to every other job I have had in similar environments.

Cons

The company seem to be growing continuously so there are slight growing pains as far as communication (the office is on two floors so sometimes there can be a slight disconnect between the two).

This has already been addressed at town hall meetings and I feel pretty confident that people are actively working to make that better.

The office is also in Railtown in the same building as Aritzia which is fun, but not ideal if you are taking transit. It's never seemed dangerous but you can tell its a stone's throw away from Hastings/Main area.

Advice to Management

Remain passionate about what you are doing, as it is contagious for those who work around you! Continue to make efforts to improve communication between the two floors.

"Chaotic Energy, Fast Moving, Laden with Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly energetic local company where all departments are located in the same building. There is a lot of opportunity here for someone who is intelligent, perceptive and hardworking.

In a very short time, the company has grown from a office in a basement in Gastown, and now has offices and warehouses overseas. With the right attitude and sense of urgency, you can move within your department or even to a different one where you feel you are better suited.

Contributions made to the organization are visible, and the company runs a pretty flat structure, and employees are free to chat and mingle between departments -- accounting, logistics, design, marketing.

Work hard, work fast, see things, go places.

Cons

Things and people move fast at this company, and employees looking for structure, coddling and hand-holding won't find it here. The company is fairly large now, by Vancouver standards, and efforts and failures are quickly evident throughout the organization. No one's going to nurse you and provide participation trophies. If you have poor communication skills (listening and speaking) you're going to fall behind.

Managers are new and inexperienced, but that's because most of the teams and their leaders have grown large without underlying infrastructure; managers are essentially workers who have been promoted to their position. For most part, middle management is immature in terms of ability to lead and mentor. The company is young, and runs like a start-up still, and this is both a pro and a con.

Parking is very limited, but this is not unusual in the Railtown area.

Advice to Management

Time would be well-invested in determining structure and systems, both for communication, operations and feedback. It would be amazing to better track and document successes and failures, employee contributions, weaknesses, etc.

The company has grown very fast, but needs to slow down, take a deep breath, a step back, and evaluate big-picture planning, and from there determine and establish structure within its sub-organizations and teams.

Engage experienced consultants, commit and consider and apply suggestions.

There also seems to be a lot of feedback regarding 'low wages'. This could be a matter of setting expectations when an employee is hired. It wold be unfair if raises that were promised were unrealized, but from what has been written, this does not appear to be the case. It's curious as to why the employees have the perception that their salaries are low -- if they were too low, why did they accept the job in the first place? At the same time, there are no complaints regarding benefits. Perhaps properly equating and communicating the value of both benefits and salary would provide a better perception of 'fair pay'.

3. "Best Manager I have ever had !!"

Current Employee - Office Facilities in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Office Facilities in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am very fortunate to have the Best Manager I have had in all my working years. Very supportive, always able to have a laugh or two or three each day. Completley different atmosphere than any other place I have worked....fast paced, casual & mostly very friendly co-workers (will always get a few co-workers that you could really do without seeing on a daily basis)....Get paid every other Friday and pay cheques don't bounce (had that happened in previous jobs)....nice offices

Cons

I think the only con is the location of the offices......Downtown east-side with lots of homeless people, drug users, needles, garbage etc etc to get from where my bus drops me off.....not a pleasant walk to & from Transit each day....really need a car to get here but lack of parking is a problem.

Advice to Management

I think the compensation could be higher.....Herschel seems to be doing very well $$$ and I would think that Management should recognize the contributions of staff that enable Herschel to get $$$$$

"Review"

Pros

I'm quite fortunate to have a supportive manager who encourages professional growth. He takes time to explain not just the task itself, but the greater picture. He recognizes that our field of work is a collective effort and is open to suggestions and new ideas. The job itself is quite stressful but working with a great team makes it worth the while.

Cons

Cramped working space. No parking. Below industry pay for my job description. Major IT issues which are a hinderance to doing a decent job.

"Poor Culture and lack of opportunities!"

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice snacks, awesome product launch parties, unlimited booze on Fridays. You get to claim overtime hours all you want and get time-in-lieu after. Qtr-end dinners and team bonding events.

Cons

The Finance team is poorly run! A couple unqualified people managing the team of more competent members. The environment in Finance is highly toxic but I can say the same about other teams too... Don't see myself committing much longer!

Advice to Management

It starts with HR! Let HR do its job in listening (and taking action) to disgruntled staff all across different departments. The turnover rate will only get worse... experienced/competent people soon to be replaced by waves of incompetent people... it's not about ability and dedication anymore to get what you deserve at Herschel! Very sad indeed!

"Like a Zoo"

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you're young.
    Some great people that are willing to drive your success.
    Good snacks / Friday beers

Cons

Bit of a free for all.
    Every has the same title - but it's unclear what they do.
    People more interested in being seen, that people seeing the results of their work.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like a start up!

8. "Fun work culture but the salary was much below standard industry level especially if you were in an entry level job."

Former Employee - Creative in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Creative in Vancouver, BC

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good extended medical, nice office space, fun 'first career' job surrounded by young co-workers, looks good on a resume, free snacks on Fridays usually, fun parties, not expected to work from home on a sick day, free backpacks (you get an allowance)

Cons

Much below industry standard pay (but this was when I worked there in 2014)

Once, during a yearly review, I asked for a significant raise and was declined, instead was offered a pre-determined 'bonus' and told by my manager to "just pretend this bonus is part of your salary. So salary + bonus = your actual salary" (The bonus was much less then the salary increase I had asked for), you were expected to be happy with the low wage because you were working for a 'cool' company.

- no career growth objectives
    - didn't get paid overtime
    - very male-run environment (that being said, maybe they've evened out their hiring in the past few years)

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better especially if you want the young ones to stick around and grow within/with the company.

"Stay Away"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

Free drinks and snacks, good extended health benefits, casual dress code, free product and product discounts

Cons

No parking, strict office hours, no formal structure for wage increases or bonus, not an inclusive work place - beware daily microaggressions, bad onboarding and training to learn how the company works and who to talk to, dog eat dog culture

Advice to Management

In some departments, managers don't communicate important info to staff and cooperation and communication between departments can be improved

"Worst Company To Work With"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

I for the life of me cant think of one positive thing to say about Herschel supply. Unless you value getting free snacks and and a employee discount on over rated bags that all look the same.

Cons

There is so many things wrong on how this company operates but below are just a few:

1. Training is a joke with no structure what so ever. There was no training manual to reference cause it was all out to date. For me my trainer it depending on how stress she was that day for me to ask questions without getting talked down to & belittled or snapping. This seems to be accepted form of behavior cause the person has done the same to management and they don't do anything.
    2. Understaffed: Which as causes employees to be overworked and have to put in a lot of overtime.
    3. For the amount of work expected the pay does not match.
    4. Lack of innovation on improving processes. Everything takes 10 times longer than it should. This could be a contributed to the fact no one in the department had been there longer than a year and just has accepted the inefficiencies.

"Avoid"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

Free alcohol Fridays after 4pm

Cons

Bunch of rowdy alcoholics hanging out on Friday after work.

Holier than though hipster culture.

Hard work is not acknowledged, if it is you are told you are too intense.

Very two-faced environment that limits growth.

Advice to Management

Give kudos to you hard working staff. Fire the ones on Tinder instead of working.