HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Reviews

Updated Sep 18, 2020

3.3
HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Managing Directors Lyndon & Jamie Cormack
Lyndon & Jamie Cormack
Pros
  • "Great people to work with, fast paced, flexible(in 9 reviews)

• "Good brand to have on your resume, relaxed culture, good work life balance(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "lack of structure and processes - this will be important to focus on as the company continues to grow(in 2 reviews)

• "They reject new ideas, structure and will make you feel stupid for suggesting anything new that is inline with industry standards(in 2 reviews)

"Great company and people - if the money's right, take the job!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Energetic workforce that is generally very positive and encouraging (think the opposite of a draining workplace). -Pays on time - a lot of people think this is a given but you'll be surprised how bad other employers are about this. -Opportunity to rise as it's a growing company that is expanding organically. There isn't a lot of formal career progression mapped out, but I know they're working to fix this quickly.

Cons

-Being a younger company, some areas/depts don't have as much structure. However in other ways this is a positive (more flexibility, less red tape, more opportunity to craft your own change).

2. "Good People"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, fast paced, flexible.

Cons

Little growth opportunities or development support, unorganized management and leadership

Continue reading

3. "Great Place to work at"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, amazing health benefits, laid back work culture

Cons

Not a lot of pay, not much progress in It

4. "Hard to imagine working anywhere else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

- The company culture is amazing. I can only speak to my experience, but both my department and teams outside of my own were extremely welcoming and helpful from the very beginning. - Herschel cultivates an extremely collaborative environment. You're given a seat at the table, so to speak, and have an ability to effect change at the company. - You can feel the passion from the founders of the business and you'll find them walking around the office, sitting in on meetings, and greeting you as they pass by. They're personable and easy to approach. - There is a high-calibre talent at head office across all departments. Many employees possess a wealth of knowledge and experience from other top tier firms and global companies, At the same time, no one takes themselves too seriously. - Comprehensive health insurance plan - Friday afternoon drinks at the office

Cons

- Although the Herschel brand is renowned and far-reaching, teams are probably much leaner than most people expect—sometimes there is a lack of structure. - Remuneration could be more competitive and salary increases and promotions are inconsistent and often delayed. - There needs to be a healthier and stronger HR presence. - Lack of employee parking spots—If you drive to work, you either have to get to the office extremely early to snag one or be forced to pay unless you want to try to find a free parking spot and move your car every hour.

5. COVID-19

"Avoid - Toxic"

1.0

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time for less than a year

Pros

A few people here are amazing. They sadly are very few and far between. The marketing team are solid and look out for each other, it’s sad that they have to.

Cons

- Sexism and Bullying, I was the third person in my role in a year. - Boys club - confident woman? You’ll be ostracized. When I confronted the issues with those involved I was essentially told I totally misunderstood what happened, gaslighting in a professional environment. - There are people here who think they are vastly experienced/talented and have little to no experience outside the company. They reject new ideas, structure and will make you feel stupid for suggesting anything new that is inline with industry standards. This is due to them not knowing any of them. I’ve never worked at such an awful company. They will bully you, undermine you, tell you you’re wrong and that you don’t understand “the Herschel way” until you are broken down and miserable. Then there were lay offs due to covid and surprisingly the boys club was fine and I felt genuine relief at not having to work there anymore.

6. "Poor Expirience"

Former Employee - Title

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

A few gems that make the days worth it. Some really great people work at this company.

Cons

Drama, drama and more drama. Too many egos. Not enough collaboration. Unhealthy work environment. Gossip worse than high school.

7. COVID-19

"Herschel just cut all employees pay by 20% due to COVID"

2.0

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

Some fun product perks and social days

Cons

Some people work too hard, others do very little

8. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - British Columbia in Vancouver, BC

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

Culture, work life balance, the people

Cons

Disorganization, lack of clarity and communication

9. "Good Entry Level"

Current Employee - Marketing
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good brand to have on your resume, relaxed culture, good work life balance

Cons

Low pay, disorganized, slow to promote

"A disappointing experience overall"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time for less than a year

Pros

My colleagues were great. They are enthusiastic, friendly and supportive. I appreciated my team very much and I wish they had the support structures in place to let them excel.

Cons

It is a company of young people with little experience in typical business workflows. Plans are made and abandoned. There is no concept of having a project planning pipeline and no BAs or PMs who can negotiate priority and time between business and development. As a result, tasks were poorly planned and their completion fell to people on the frontlines even though the main issues were due to planning and (lack of) the sign-off/approval process. Upper management is a mixed bag. Upon hiring, my recruiter and I were repeatedly reassured that my pre-requisite of working from home several days a week would be respected, after an initial in-office onboarding period. However, I (and my team) faced repeated passive aggressive comments regarding my work schedule even when I was only wfh once a week. I also was criticized for working from home for medical reasons (concussion symptoms) despite having a doctors note. To me, this reflects a level of unprofessionalism that is not appropriate for this size of company.

Found 49 reviews