HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Managing Directors Lyndon & Jamie Cormack
Lyndon & Jamie Cormack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun work culture but the salary was much below standard industry level especially if you were in an entry level job."

Former Employee - Creative in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Creative in Vancouver, BC

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good extended medical, nice office space, fun 'first career' job surrounded by young co-workers, looks good on a resume, free snacks on Fridays usually, fun parties, not expected to work from home on a sick day, free backpacks (you get an allowance)

Cons

Much below industry standard pay (but this was when I worked there in 2014)

Once, during a yearly review, I asked for a significant raise and was declined, instead was offered a pre-determined 'bonus' and told by my manager to "just pretend this bonus is part of your salary. So salary + bonus = your actual salary" (The bonus was much less then the salary increase I had asked for), you were expected to be happy with the low wage because you were working for a 'cool' company.

- no career growth objectives
    - didn't get paid overtime
    - very male-run environment (that being said, maybe they've evened out their hiring in the past few years)

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better especially if you want the young ones to stick around and grow within/with the company.

"Stay Away"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

Free drinks and snacks, good extended health benefits, casual dress code, free product and product discounts

Cons

No parking, strict office hours, no formal structure for wage increases or bonus, not an inclusive work place - beware daily microaggressions, bad onboarding and training to learn how the company works and who to talk to, dog eat dog culture

Advice to Management

In some departments, managers don't communicate important info to staff and cooperation and communication between departments can be improved

"Worst Company To Work With"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

I for the life of me cant think of one positive thing to say about Herschel supply. Unless you value getting free snacks and and a employee discount on over rated bags that all look the same.

Cons

There is so many things wrong on how this company operates but below are just a few:

1. Training is a joke with no structure what so ever. There was no training manual to reference cause it was all out to date. For me my trainer it depending on how stress she was that day for me to ask questions without getting talked down to & belittled or snapping. This seems to be accepted form of behavior cause the person has done the same to management and they don't do anything.
    2. Understaffed: Which as causes employees to be overworked and have to put in a lot of overtime.
    3. For the amount of work expected the pay does not match.
    4. Lack of innovation on improving processes. Everything takes 10 times longer than it should. This could be a contributed to the fact no one in the department had been there longer than a year and just has accepted the inefficiencies.

"Avoid"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

Free alcohol Fridays after 4pm

Cons

Bunch of rowdy alcoholics hanging out on Friday after work.

Holier than though hipster culture.

Hard work is not acknowledged, if it is you are told you are too intense.

Very two-faced environment that limits growth.

Advice to Management

Give kudos to you hard working staff. Fire the ones on Tinder instead of working.

"Inability to Innovate"

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

The offices are beautiful. It's great to work in such a well-designed space. The right tools and education are always available for those looking to progress their career.

Cons

Despite claiming to be supportive and entrepreneurial in spirit, there is an inability to accept new ideas, processes and methods. If you are young and looking to work hard and share new ideas with ambitious goals for promotion, look elsewhere.

Additionally, the work-life balance they expect from employees isn't realistic within their current salary framework.

Advice to Management

Be willing to learn new skills and implement time- and money-saving ideas when they are presented.

7. "Way more pros than cons here"

Pros

dynamic team,varied projects, allowed to make mistakes and try new things

Cons

very social and tight-knit. If you want to just clock in and clock out this might not be for you

"Herschel Review"

I have been working at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive ambitious atmosphere in a rapidly growing company

Cons

In the finance department there is no clear career progression structure. Also management are reluctant to reward employees with salary increases in the finance department .

Advice to Management

Work with HR to implement a career progression structure and salary increases in the finance department

"Not so great experience"

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

Great from the outside but gets ugly very quickly
    Cool office
    Some staff are brilliant and great to work with

Cons

This is all fake culture with people getting more and more frustrated which, results in a very toxic environment. Some departments are more friendly than others but in general this work culture is about diminishing each others, people are young with no experience and get extremely bad compensation for their work. It is disrespectful at all levels. These days, a lot of people think looks are the most important thing, get real.

Advice to Management

Stop bragging and start to work to actually support for your people. You are spreading and nurturing an arrogant environment

"Fun place to work, needs improvement"

Former Employee - Product Developer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Product Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time

Pros

The team at herschel is a great group of people. A lot of fun young, inspiring co-workers.

Cons

Equal pay is hard to come by. They have a ways to go in terms of figuring out compensation.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and hire more senior management.

HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY Response

7 Oct, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

We agree that we have an amazing team. We are always looking for ways to improve and will continue to evaluate our programs to ensure we are remaining competitive and investing in our people. Thank... More

"Still figuring it out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at HERSCHEL SUPPLY COMPANY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun & flashy work environment. Great talented co-workers

Cons

Haven't worked out how to compensate employees properly. There is a lack of understanding of how to help employees live the lives they are expected to live. Employees are paid much below the industry standard and it is thought that because the work environment is so fun that this makes up for it, when in fact most employees find it hard to pay rent or live in the downtown vancouver area.

Advice to Management

Employees often feel underappreciated. Major office improvements are made, but there are no improvements made to employee quality of life. The pay does not reflect what is seen on the walls. Just remember how hard everyone works and remember to show them that in the form of benefits and work life balance.