Guusto Gifts Reviews

Guusto Gifts Co-Founder Skai Dalziel
Skai Dalziel
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Practices what they preach (and sell) when it comes to valuing employees

Apr 16, 2021 - Head of Growth Marketing in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Guusto helps companies consistently recognize employees and build great cultures and this same commitment applies to its own employees. Employee appreciation, growth, empowerment, and recognition are deeply rooted in its DNA, and this permeates into daily operations and decisions. Everyone's input is encouraged and considered and everyone's contributions are recognized - not just the leadership team and managers. Guusto is also incredibly transparent with every department's playbooks, goals, projects, and plans openly available to each other. Weekly meetings also see each department sharing updates and plans for the current sprint. This is a refreshing and welcomed change from the interdepartmental siloing I see at so many companies. Worklife balance is promoted and respected. To personalize things, I was essentially the first EST employee with the rest of the company largely being PST and the company moved all meetings to fall within my standard workday.

Cons

Not a con in a pure sense but because Guusto values cultural fit, attitude, and values alignment almost above all else, the recruitment process is rigorous and taken very seriously by leadership. This means that even skilled candidates that don't align with these principles will likely not proceed to later rounds in the process. The company is also growing rapidly and in typical startup fashion, there are a lot of moving pieces. A great opportunity for those comfortable taking ownership and figuring things out but less so for someone looking for detailed processes and specific directions.

Guusto Gifts Response

Thanks for the review! We are always trying to walk the talk as best we can. As we continue to scale and grow, we will start nailing down more and more of those processes to ensure everyone has everything they need to be successful!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very flexible and great place to work!

Sep 24, 2020 - Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

At Guusto, I've had the opportunity to learn something new every single day! I enjoy the fact that it is a fast-paced work environment, things change very quickly. Every day brings a new "to-do" list, which currently I am enjoying! The company allows flexibility to take time out for your other commitments. And the weekly meetings are great to keep different teams connected. And if you do a good job, you will be encouraged and appreciated for your work!

Cons

-Sometime, the fast-pace can feel overwhelming at first, especially, when you are trying or doing something new. But, the good thing is that you can always reach out to your seniors or colleagues for help! And they are there to help you.

Co-Founder

Great to hear you're enjoying the culture at Guusto! We're always excited to see our people develop and excel in their careers. Muucho Guusto, Skai

3. 5.0

A great place to work!

Sep 28, 2020 - Director of Client Collaboration in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Guusto is a forward thinking, collaborative and fast paced start up where ideas are encouraged and fostered. A peer to peer environment where hard work and good ideas are continually recognized. Guusto is a leader in employee recognition and strive for their employees to feel valued.

Cons

Currently remote based due to Covid. Saying that, the team still feels connected and engaged.

4. 5.0

Amazing place to work!

Sep 30, 2020 - Frontend Developer in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great culture - Hardworking team - Everyone is always willing to help each other and learn from one another. Each day I learn something new! - Fun project to work on - Super flexible work hours - Weekly meetings with the entire team to keep each other on track and appreciate everyones hard work - Following Agile Scrum methodology and using modern technologies - Ideas matter!

Cons

I cannot think of any!

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A Culture of Recognition around Core Values

Sep 28, 2019 - Co-Founder in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a company that sells employee recognition software, we are striving to create an amazing company culture where employees love their work, are encouraged to take initiative and risks, get supported/mentored when needed, and feel appreciated for all their efforts. We have 4 Core Values guiding our team: - Listen (to customers, colleagues, competitors, partners) - Learn (collaborate to find creative solutions) - Lead (take initiative, own a challenge, accountable for results) - Leap (push hard and take risks, it’s okay to fail) We hire, review performance, and recognize employees (using our own software to send Guusto gifts) based on these core values. We are strong believers in the abilities of young people and empowering them to solve challenging problems. As a startup, there are no clear paths to success, so we encourage our team to try all sorts of things, figure out what works, and get a little bit better everyday. It’s an exciting time to be working with so many talented people at a fast growing company that is changing corporate cultures around the world and making a social impact though clean water donations.

Cons

Working at a tech startup is not for everyone. It's a fast paced environment that is constantly changing, with an endless list of things to do and no clear answers to challenging problems. Also, the initial salary is a bit lower than working for a big corporation. But for those willing to take the leap, there is a tremendous amount of learning, and the opportunity to quickly advance a career as the company grows.

Co-Founder

We'll continue to look for the best and brightest people to join our team and share our vision to change corporate cultures around the world! We'll empower them to be leaders and celebrate their amazing results :)

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Be a Part of Something Special

Nov 28, 2019 - Co-Founder in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Accelerated career trajectory - Exciting and fast-paced - Your ideas matter - Flexible work schedule - Encouraged to be your awesome self - Downtown Vancouver office - Living our core values (Listen, Learn, Leap, Lead) - Helping companies create cultures of appreciation and recognition - Social impact

Cons

Tech startup life is not for everyone. We expect our people to work hard and be passionate (but then go home!). During hyper-growth (our current state) priorities can change quickly. As a result, there are always new challenges to tackle. People require a level elasticity, in their role, and an openness to being adaptable, in order to get things done collaboratively. The initial salary is also a bit lower than working for an established corporation. But for those willing to roll up their sleeves, there is a tremendous amount of learning, and the opportunity to fast-track their career.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A fun team, with great leaders and growth opportunities

Sep 26, 2019 - Business Development in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Since I started working at Guusto, my approach to 'work' has changed. I am able to come in every day feeling excited about the kind of work I do, knowing that I will be challenged and learn something new. Joe and Skai are incredible mentors- they have a laissez-faire approach to leadership and support their team with the resources they need. The team itself is very close, always willing to collaborate and meet project targets together- it's a great support network for learning and accomplishing professional goals.

Cons

If you are the kind of person that enjoys hierarchy in management or 9-5 structures, Guusto operates differently. Joe and Skai believe in a flatter hierarchy and freedom of choice, whether it's when people enter/leave the office, when they take breaks, or how they spend their time- as long as the work gets done. Some people prefer having better structure, I personally do not.

President

Thanks so much taking the time to share a review of your experience working at Guusto! It's wonderful to hear you feel excited about coming to work to take on the challenges in your role. We'll continue to do everything possible to foster an environment of collaboration that will help your professional development. Based on your valuable feedback, we'll look to schedule more regular all team meetings, in an effort to keep everyone in the loop. Muucho Guusto, Skai Co-Founder

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great product, great people to work with

Oct 1, 2019 - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Guusto provided an opportunity to start my career in Canada as a software developer. It was lot of fun working closely with founders. They are very supportive and working with them have helped me learn lot of things about startup and its functions. I made connections with people in tech community while I was working at Guusto and ever since it has helped me boost my career. Landing job at Guusto built strong foundation for my career and I couldn't have done it without their support.

Cons

I was the first developer hired. Although I had an opportunity to work on different projects, it would have been nice to have few other developers on the team to help with the projects.

President

Thanks for the glowing review! We really enjoyed working with you to get the company off the ground, and couldn't have done it without you. We look forward to hopefully having you re-join our growing team in the future. Muucho Guusto :)

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great workplace

Feb 4, 2020 - Web Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

1 - Good culture, teamwork, and good benefit. 2 - They treated their co-ops very nicely. It gave them lots of experience in the industry. 3- Very flexible hours.

Cons

1- Needs more methodology and planning in the office. Uses any process for delivering tasks as (Scrum or Agile or waterfall).

Co-Founder

Thanks for taking the time to provide a positive review and feedback on how we can get better! We'll look to implement your suggestions for more processes and planning.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work environment, lots of flexibility, project oriented

Sep 27, 2019 - Marketing & Client Success Specialist in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Direct Communication with Founders Team-based decision making High employee investment Flexible hours for part-time workers Fun work environment The co-founders, Joe & Skai, are always open to new ideas and very trusting in their employees - no micro-managing, but are always available for guidance. Working here has vastly improved my skills and confidence in my professional ability.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but things move fast here so potential employees should be able to adapt quickly to client needs.

1 person found this review helpful

President

Great to hear you've had a positive experience working at Guusto! It is indeed a fast paced environment, so we'll continue to do everything we can to support your efforts to adapt quickly to changing customer needs. It's a treat for us a founders to work with such a capable team of people! Keep up the great work :) Muucho Guusto, Skai - Co-Founder

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews