Grubhub Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Grubhub CEO Matt Maloney
Matt Maloney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The obvious wear and tear on the car" (in 24 reviews)

• "Inconsistent pay, driver care hard to get a hold of" (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Grubhub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Good and improving engineering culture.
    * Good and improving transparency, no silos or inter-departmental secrecy.
    * General relaxed, friendly atmosphere.
    * Customers love the company.

Cons

I found no major downsides.

"Totally nonsense"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at Grubhub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, not required to be on phones.

Cons

This place is a gong show, nothing is consistent, they exploit all workers from all sides, paying absolutely minimal wages and expecting miracles screwing over restaurants with their absolute unreliable services and stressing already tired and money pinched companies to refund unintelligent, aggressive and lying customers. This place is going to go down the drain fast.

Advice to Management

Face it you suck.

3. "LOVE WORKING HERE"

Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Grubhub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am really happy working here. I am able to work from home for most of the week. There is unlimited PTO, the team is incredibly supportive. I have all the materials needed to be successful at my job. There is always a new project that is able to keep me feeling challenged

Cons

Like any tech company, change happens quickly so you need to be able to adapt quickly and respond well to change.

"Awesomeness"

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Grubhub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Departments from across the organization work well together. Amazing offices country wide.

Cons

Not many food options for being a food company, but any food is still great to have!

"Lip Service"

I worked at Grubhub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

beautiful office, great colleagues, interesting work

Cons

stock continues to slide; too much emphasis placed on it as a form of compensation. Gender inequities in leadership and compensation

Advice to Management

Put your money where your mouth is and address the inequities. So much fanfare on RestaurantHer which is really just a marketing ploy. Take care of your own!
     BTW - Where does CEO, Matt Maloney disappear to during the summer months?

6. "Good Place To Work"

Former Employee - Lead in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Lead in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Grubhub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Senior management does a good job. Continued growth makes for a lot of opportunity, especially if you are willing to go outside your comfort zone for a potential new position.

Cons

Continued large growth tends to lead to a burned out or jaded staff due to constant high volume. High turnover in some departments.

Advice to Management

Shift focus back to promotions from within. Too many middle managers coming from outside the company just to coast through their time until they take their next gig. Let people who earned their place move up, and see the teams become more engaged.

7. "A great place"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Grubhub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment. Management appreciate hard work

Cons

I can't think of any at this moment.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing

"Beware older worker!!!"

Former Employee - Corporate Care Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Care Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Grubhub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super friendly and helpful coworkers. Team leads who are some of the hardest working folks. Generous benefits. I loved going into the lunchroom and getting a can or two of sparkling water from the machine without needing a coin.

Cons

Training is only as good as the trainer. The charming trainer seemed to think I was too old to waste time teaching. Right behind the HR tape on forbidden behavior the trainers predatory behavior began. It was meant to distract from the trainers ineptness at teaching an older worker. The trainer never once asked what would help me succeed. The last day after being the trainers toy for 3 weeks the trainer made a sexual gesture. In hindsight and several postings on social media I suspect it was done to entrap. Never in my years have I witnessed or experienced the trainers inappropriate behavior. I was caught off guard. Training and HR are interconnected. My decision to not go to HR was spot on. HR corrupt to the core would protect this charming trainer . A new hire: who are you gonna tell and who is gonna believe you. I should have nailed the trainer the first time. After that it felt like I would only alarm the trainer. And soon after the behavior seemed normalized....but then in true predatory fashion escalated to a sexual gesture. The three weeks I was distracted and affected. I could not sleep and the second week forward everytime I ate I got sick. I stopped eating. I was sweeped up in the trainers abuse of power. I was traumatized.It took months of therapy to feel me again. So older worker no matter how happy you are about landing this job be very guarded. Beware of empty smiles.

Advice to Management

Matt Maloney: The idea of GrubHub is pure genius. But come home and clean your house beginning with the corrupt to its very core HR department. Do you think it is appropriate for HR in "interviewing" an employee to poke /pucker or whatever her lips were doing at a traumatized older employee. I could barely speak.
    The trainers need to learn how to teach. NLU a few blocks away offers courses on adult education. Baby boomers are going back to work in droves. They bring a wealth of customer service and wisdom. They are reliable. The training is substandard in general. Two classes ,with training that can only be described as cursory on the floor=chaos-mistakes-lost revenue. The team leads are some of the hardest working folks I have ever encountered but there are only two for the fast paced environment.
    My suggestion is the trainer be required to walk the floor to help out for a couple weeks(instead of being a "corporate thug listening to trap music and making lesson plans" on 21.)Not only will the trainer be a useful resource but the trainer would get first hand knowledge of the issues the trainer could address in future classes coupled with the information the trainer was remiss in teaching. You are a young company with growing pains to be certain. But power points as the teaching tool? Computer interactive lessons are more effective. Also the undercurrent of lies and deception within the manager faction is counterproductive to the culture. After all everyone is on TEAM GRUBHUB!? PS. You might consider the Trainer Evaluations we were required to fill out the second to the last day to be filled out a week outside of training. The evaluation would be more realistic and valid.

9. "Fun place to work"

I have been working at Grubhub full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Don't have any at this time

"Great way to make extra income"

I have been working at Grubhub part-time

Pros

-pays a guaranteed 10.50 per hour minimum when you sign up for scheduled blocks
    -extremely easy job
    -choose your own schedule

Cons

-occasional app glitches
    -so many drivers, it is sometimes hard to get a scheduled block
    -wear and tear on your car

Advice to Management

The app needs a better algorithm for assigning deliveries because sometimes it will send me to a restaurant 40 minutes away and say that the food is supposed to be picked up in 10