Grantham University Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

Scott Andrews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Human respurces and upper management are corrupt" (in 6 reviews)

• "Honestly a bunch of educated dummies and high school clicks" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Student Advisor"

Former Employee - Student Advisor in Lenexa, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Student Advisor in Lenexa, KS (US)

I worked at Grantham University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started it was a really chill work environment. We had to call our students, complete our tasks, make sure we were being timely with emails. However you wanted to manage your students was up to you. Basically your hours were up to you, as long as you worked 40. Vacation was accrued per hour but they were flexible with letting you take it in advance. Daily huddle meetings, all coworkers were nice. Team oriented. Games, picnics, Royals games, plenty of employee appreciation. Free education for employees. Upward mobility to mentor, team lead, manager, or lateral moves to other departments are possible. CEO/President was really nice and made himself available to employees. Getting to work with veterans is really rewarding.

Cons

100% online for-profit. Feels like a degree mill. Doesn't always feel like ethical work. Things began to go downhill around the end of 2015, goals were harder to meet, portfolios were getting larger, pay raises weren't happening. Lay-offs started in spring of 2016. The work perks began to fade. On the day I was let go in May of 2016, so were 12 others from my department, including my boss who had been there 14 years. The week before us there were at least 30 others. I know many people that are still employed who say the freedom of the job is completely gone. All work & no play. Completely micromanaged now.

"Call Center without Rewards"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Lenexa, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Lenexa, KS (US)

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping non-traditional students get into college. Free tuition. Decent health benefits.

Cons

Going in a bad direction. Upper management has changed several times over the years, but the current executive leadership is going to sink the ship. More and more micromanagement, no autonomy, very little opportunity for advancement, no pay raises since new leadership came in 1.5 years ago.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees - not just a few handpicked favorites, but all employees. Know that when you have good, dependable, productive employees, they should be trusted and not treated like children. The job should mean more than just a paycheck.

"Grantham is like the other for-profits"

I worked at Grantham University full-time

Pros

Others were incompetent, so I didn't feel bad if I didn't do a good job.

Cons

It's supposedly a school, but nobody who works there knows anything about academia.

4. "Director"

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Grantham University's mission and the people we serve is the main reason I've worked here as long as I have and continue to thoroughly enjoy my job and my co-workers.

Cons

Grantham has a very fast pace environment and this can be difficult for some to navigate.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the vision and working on changing the culture to a service mentality. The more we can get everyone on the same page and moving in the same direction toward a single vision, the more successful we will be.

"Academics Department (Administrators, Deans, Executives)"

Current Employee - Academic Administrator in Lenexa, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Academic Administrator in Lenexa, KS (US)

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff
    Time passes quickly because there's so much to do
    Competitive salary
    I interviewed and was offered the job while 9 months pregnant, and they waited for me to start for 2 months while I was on maternity leave!
    Fast-paced atmosphere
    Employee events and incentives
    Great office spaces with plenty of break rooms, bathrooms, parking, and privacy room for nursing mothers
    Ability to work from home during inclement weather
    Definite room for growth and advancement
    Philanthropy and charity focused- lots of ways to give back
    Special perks to obtain higher education degrees - it's FREE for employees

Cons

No training or training manuals for my specific position
    They work non-stop and often before 8am and after 5pm
    Hard to separate work and home life because the amount of work they pile in a 40 hour scheduled workweek
    Job demands, there is always more to do than is possible
    Communication between departments can be difficult

Advice to Management

none

6. "Education Benefits Are Great"

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Education benefits if degree is needed (i.e., certificate, undergrad or grad). Good people, good benefits. Respect for military is unparalleled.

Cons

Sick leave is a little lacking.

7. "Wish I would have left sooner"

I worked at Grantham University full-time

Pros

It was a job, and it wasn't too taxing. I feel like most people I worked with and got to know were very inefficient so I didn't feel the need to work too hard, which belongs here as a pro as a con.

Cons

Some people would work minimally and just be drones. Others that cared would nearly kill themselves to get things done only for their work to be wasted and then leave since it wasn't appreciated enough. Most manager types seem clueless and do the wrong things and decisions. It was so hard for me to be motivated to work when my managers were so clueless and their bosses even more wrong in their decisions and leadership. The benefits are very bad. Low PTO and even feel guilty taking any. They also take dress code way too seriously. I understand wanting people to not be dressed messy, but why do you have to be so serious and strict about it. I feel that the dress code and attitude to management style are very dated and old school. I feel like the company runs like its still in the 80s or 90s.

Advice to Management

Motivate your workers and find some better talent for managers. When you have a strong talent, recognize it and make it impossible for them to think about leaving. Pay them and respect them. The workplace is changing, update to cater to the newer generations in terms of management style and benefits or continue to lose talent to companies that have adopted.

8. "Good choice for work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS (US)

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees have the ability to earn their degree at no cost after 90 days of employment

Cons

There are no cons to this company/position

9. "Only if you need a paycheck"

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can take classes for free.

Cons

The company needs to hire new competent managers and HR staff. Communication throughout departments needs improvement. Honestly a bunch of educated dummies and high school clicks... Company very sneaky, seems fishy.

Advice to Management

Where do I start..

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love going to work. I work with great people that care about what we do each day. The pay is good, there is a lot of room to grow, and management does a great job of developing their employees.

Cons

Some outdated systems, but this will not be the case for much longer.

Advice to Management

None at this time.