Grand Circle Travel Employee Reviews about "travel benefits"

Updated Jun 12, 2020

2.6
Grand Circle Travel Chairman and CEO Alan E. Lewis (no image)
Alan E. Lewis
Pros
  • "The Associate Travel benefits are AMAZING(in 35 reviews)

• "Great people, great business model-if you work hard, you are rewarded(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Call center is a challenging place to work due to nature of job(in 29 reviews)

• "They preach their "core values" but good luck being open and courageous and taking risks, you'll be the out the door real fast(in 23 reviews)

Reviews about "travel benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Hard company to work for..."

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good travel benefits, at least before the pandemic hit...

Cons

You constantly have to jump through hoops because of frequent performance reviews. Doing a good job doesn't ever seem to be enough. Open and courageous communication is supposed to be valued, but only if it's not directed at the wrong person.

2. "Challenging but rewarding company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Tons of opportunity for growth -Amazing benefits including 100% transit reimbursement - Amazing travel benefits (been to 18 destinations with the company) -Great people to work with

Cons

-Long hours and tons of overtime -Call center is a challenging place to work due to nature of job.

Continue reading

"Wouldn't want to work anywhere else!!!!!"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Grand Circle is a great company to work for. The managers and supervisors go above and beyond to help you grow as an individual in the work place. There is unlimited room for growth within the company. They really live by their values and take them seriously which is great-- you are encouraged to speak up if something isn't working for you and they take their feedback seriously. Yes, it is fast paced and you do have high goals; however, with hard work they are achievable and you are rewarded. The compensation may seem low for a base salary but if you are performance driven you have the ability to make a lot of $$$ based off of the incentive program. The benefits are incredible, the travel benefits are even better! It's a great work environment to be in and is located right in the seaport.

Cons

none, the company, culture and people are AWESOME.

"The best, most fun toxic workplace ever"

1.0

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time

Pros

At their best, the employees can be very nice, caring people. This is partly fostered by the negative cultural aspects--people at Grand Circle tend to develop thick skins after a while; when not afraid for their positions they often have a "we're in this together", rueful sort of companionship. Travel benefits seem very nice. They kick in after a year, but I chose to leave before then. The company is profitable despite its drawbacks, and pays somewhat well to offset the constant turbulence. It also fosters an amazing amount of charity work; if you like that sort of thing you'll find plenty of opportunities to help.

Cons

The stories you will read about Grand Circle are true. Turnover (both involuntary and voluntary) is at high levels, and not just in the call center. Problem behaviors and people can be actively encouraged, due to misapplication of the principles by which the entire company operates. The culture exacerbates problems like aggression, lying and scapegoating, due in part to fears by employees that they will lose their jobs. People have different ways of dealing with stress, and this is to be expected; however, it obviously can be worse when a stressed-out supervisor starts browbeating and scapegoating employees--which the organization has no solid way of counteracting. Performance is constantly assessed, and in some negatively skewed ways, creating more tension. Performance ratings, when one of the frequent localized cultural breakdowns occurs, tend to be based not on actual performance but on personal bias. Imagine a bunch of stressed-out people, encouraged or even forced to jockey for position with each other, constantly giving open ratings on each other. That's what you'll get. It's a pressure cooker. People are sometimes not just treated negatively, but openly humiliated. The company prides itself on its ability to thrive on change. This leads to chaotic results when working on projects; due to the constant threat of a "stop" being called, ending the project, the overall focus is on quick-and-dirty work. This sadly applies even on new projects begun to clean up the old quick-and-dirty work.

5. "A fast-paced, never boring place to work and you get to travel!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, great business model-if you work hard, you are rewarded. The Associate Travel benefits are AMAZING! Company sponsors fun activities and the building and neighborhood are cool.

Cons

I have no Cons yet!

Continue reading

"Crazy Owner with abusive management style"

1.0
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Travel benefits Clearly defined company values Young, fun coworkers

Cons

Owner has an abusive management style In every department there is a focus on rankings to the detriment of morale It is easy to rank based on objective goals (sales numbers etc.) but rankings are often based on subjective performance which creates a culture of favorites.

"It's okay"

2.0

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time

Pros

Travel benefits, vacation time, they'll train you if they like so great place to learn skills.

Cons

There is a lot I could say, I think other comments will have this covered, just be wary and have a tough skin.

"Great people, great benefits and grateful for the experience!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have had a very positive experience since joining Grand Circle Travel more than a year ago. I have a great manager and enjoy the people that I work with who are extremely nice, hardworking, and passionate about what they do. The company offers generous benefits which include health, dental and vision, transit and parking subsidies, 401K with a match program, tuition reimbursement, casual dress code, travel benefits, and much more. One of the unique benefits here is the Wellness Program, including an onsite gym. Through the Wellness Program employees can participate in onsite Yoga, Reiki, Meditation and have access to a full-time Wellness coach who is amazing and inspirational. We work hard, but we also get to play hard and enjoy fun things like summer BBQ’s, departmental celebrations, and the annual holiday party. The company motto is “We help change people’s lives” which is evident not only by our traveler’s testimonies but also by the Community Service work that is done both locally in and around Boston and globally. Grand Circle employees are able to participate in monthly events that help to give back to the local community and through the Grand Circle Foundation, the company is very generous in giving time and money to the underserved and underprivileged communities around the world. I am very proud to work for a company that does so much good in the world and that truly helps to change people’s lives.

Cons

I have no cons to express at this time.

"Everything you've read is true."

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay and travel benefits but that's about it.

Cons

Company structure can change at any time, goals change with no forewarning. Desperately understaffed, you will be required to work mandatory overtime every week. I was there over a year and never once did we have adaquite staffing so overtime wasn't required.

10. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time

Pros

The travel benefits are outstanding.

Cons

Compensation potential is constantly changing.

Found 35 reviews