Gensler Reviews

3.7
Gensler Co-CEOs Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours and some directors who are out of touch with employee wellbeing(in 54 reviews)

• "hard to achieve work-life balance due to heavy load on works(in 52 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Great place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collaborative, people-first culture with a social conscience. This is a company that truly cares about their employees. Great benefits! Fun place to work. Lots of celebrations, happy hours and so on pre-COVID. Also, focused on giving back to the community - lots of opportunities to get involved. Current focus on diversity and inclusion - not just lip service, but true action plans and employees held accountable to following through.

Cons

Gensler is decentralized and very collaborative. Decisions and/or buy-in is needed by many individuals. This means that change is very slow and this lag in ability to make changes results in Gensler being behind the times in some areas (such as paid parental leave).

January 18, 2021

Thanks so much for the feedback. We love to hear from our people. You and your colleagues are the foundation of our success.

2. "Great place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

I've learned more and developed my career beyond what I'd ever imagined by joining this firm

Cons

Nowhere is perfect, and neither is Gensler. In all things you take the rough with the smooth!

January 11, 2021

3. "Big ego and micromanaging"

2.0
    Former Employee - Job Captain in Toronto, ON

I worked at Gensler full-time

Pros

Great resources and international platform

Cons

Mid management has big ego, preferential treatment to a small group of people at the expense of the office culture.

January 11, 2021

4. "good place"

Former Employee - Job Captain

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity for growth. Great place to learn. Opportunity to stand out.

Cons

Big business mentality, numbers driven. You can easily become just a number yourself.

September 7, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and consider all the feedback we receive and will share your comments with leadership .

5. "Good"

Current Employee - Architect in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

Amazing work culture, innovative projects

Cons

There are no cons working for Gensler

July 13, 2020

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We value our people and love to hear their perspectives

6. "A good firm to work for..!!"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Provides opportunities to work on different phases of project. You can work on multiple projects at a time. Promotion based on performance. Pays overtime and bonus. Other benefits are good.

Cons

Sometimes overloaded with work, so work-life balance is hard.

May 22, 2020

Thanks so much for the feedback. We love to hear from our alumni and wish you all the best in your current and future endeavors.

7. "Great experience, mixed outcome"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great and open environment with many resources. Opportunity to be involved with many great projects and clients.

Cons

Room for growth is limited. One firm firm is the motto, but it only really goes one way. While certain areas are open to development others are close minded and not open to adaptation. People are segmented in cliques and are somewhat cold and not welcoming. Long hours is an unwritten expectation. Hard work is not always acknowledged.

May 11, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and consider all the feedback we receive. Providing honest feedback is critical to supporting our culture and our values of integrity, trust and mutual respect. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with the firm’s leadership.

"Well known firm but not the culture and environment I thought it would be"

Former Employee - Designer in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Organized and has many resources - Good benefits compared to others - International opportunity

Cons

- Too global and hard to communicate - Been to other Gensler offices and the Toronto culture is not that great - Didn't feel genuinely valued

September 6, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback. We treat the concerns of every person at our firm seriously and have a robust system with multiple channels for reporting issues. Encouraging everyone to ask questions and provide honest feedback is critical to supporting our culture, as well as our values of integrity, trust, and mutual respect.

"Monotonous and low pay"

I worked at Gensler full-time

Pros

Impressive client list, the company name bears a lot of weight in the industry and will makes it easy to forge relationships with industry vendors and contractors who are keen to partner with you and the company. Downtown location is great and easy for getting around to meetings. Many invites to special presentations and parties around the city are extended.

Cons

Many are stuck on long term projects that are outside the practice area of desire, creating a long term boredom. Overtime is expected, so is unpaid attendance to lunch hour and after work events. You will work on some of the city's top projects, but your pay will not be a reflection of the multi-million dollar budgets allocated. There is a persistent anxiety about staffing, and when management has failed to staff an employee properly, it somehow is unfairly read as a reflection of that designers' skill set or experience being difficult to staff. Training opportunities are better in some studios than others, management and work/life culture varies drastically between studios. Some studio directors being fantastic to the lucky ones in their studio, and others ruling in a Machiavellian way. People who have been there for years are passed over for promotions, which are handed to newly hired people they are convincing to stay.

March 13, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at Gensler. We are sorry your time at our firm did not meet all your expectations, and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

10. "Senior Designer"

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

The benefit of being an employee owned company means that other offices around the globe will collaborate without hesitation.

Cons

When someone doesn’t collaborate or communicate regularly with the larger team, they miss the whole point of working for a “one-firm firm”.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,102 English Reviews