General Motors Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

General Motors CEO Mary Barra
Mary Barra

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is something you need to be proactive about" (in 101 reviews)

• "long hours are expected (only negative for those that don't prefer overtime)" (in 86 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Walking the Work Culture Walk"

Current Employee - Algorithm Engineer in Markham, ON
    Current Employee - Algorithm Engineer in Markham, ON

I have been working at General Motors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GM has cultivated a work culture of openness, collaboration and innovation. GM's mission of zero emissions, zero congestion, and zero crashes is front and center. It is rewarding to work at a company that prioritizes creating a positive work culture and follows through on its commitments both internal and external.

Cons

GM has established a long term focus. To deliver the mobility products and services of the future GM has been investing a lot of resources into expanding its workforce and technical expertise. New hires are expected to play an active part in defining their role within the organization, and are given opportunities to influence the direction of their work and the organization as a whole. Not everyone is suited for this style of professional freedom and responsibility.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees.

18 Jun, 2018 – Social Media Strategist

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We would like to thank you for your contributions to GM and appreciate the feedback!

2. "You get out of it what you put into it..."

Current Employee - Team Leader in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Toronto, ON

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having been a veteran of 18+ years, this company has offered me challenges, and growth opportunities you could never imagine. I have had the ability to work in many facets of the business, from manufacturing, engineering, operations, and leadership.

Like many things in life, you get out of it what you put in. If you have a desire to delve deep, and immerse yourself in your work, everyday will be interesting.

Cons

The downfall of large corporations as a whole are the layers of ambiguity, and "red tape" that prevent the business from moving faster, and largely stand in the way of efficiently getting work down.

Advice to Management

Streamline the approval processes, and trust your staff. The company can achieve great things, if we don't get bogged down in semantics and 43 layers of approvals to buy a pencil.

18 Jun, 2018 – Social Media Strategist

3. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Oshawa, ON
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Oshawa, ON

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a strong Innovation feel to the company, which is different than I originally expected. From Leadership down to the employees in our Facilities - people are really driven to lead the industry. There is also a strong sense of pride that comes through from everyone on the team. Great work/life balance, great benefits & pension.

Cons

Large global company - many decisions still come from US. Canada definitely has a lot of autonomy and our own personality, but you can tell this is a US company.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on innovation and the future!

15 Jun, 2018 – Social Media Strategist

4. "GM Canada"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Oshawa, ON
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Oshawa, ON

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pays well.
    Good vacation and holiday policy.

Cons

No time for breaks or lunch.
    Poor health benefits until 65, then no health benefits at all after that.
    Too obsessed by having a certain way of doing literally everything, but not open to new ideas from those who know the areas the best.
    Internal job postings not filled by whoever has the most experience and would do the best job, but by who has the right connections and can make it past the targeted interview process, which has nothing to do with the job itself. Career path planning discussions are moot as jobs go to those who are not qualified in too many cases.

Advice to Management

Too much micro managing from the top down, with a we know what's best for you attitude.
    Pay raises and bonuses determined by annual plans and goals with at least one thrown in that is extremely difficult, if not impossible to achieve which will be used to justify a poor pay increase. You can exceed expectations in all your other goals but if you fail in the one that's impossible to meet, you don't get much of a raise. This turns above average workers turn into just average workers.
    Consider experience and ability when filling internal job postings, just because someone went to the same university doesn't always mean they are qualified.
    Stop turning a blind eye to incompetent employees and make them accountable. Even if they are young and pretty, they still have to do their job like everyone else.

14 Jun, 2018 – Social Media Strategist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your feedback with us. We read each of our reviews and take them seriously as we are always looking to improve.

"General Motors Canada K2 Truck"

Current Employee - Production Group Leader K2 Truck in Oshawa, ON
    Current Employee - Production Group Leader K2 Truck in Oshawa, ON

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced, quality driven, good pay and benefits although a bit skimpy when it comes to having the right tools to do the job.

Cons

Fenced team rooms that look more like cages in common areas on the shop floor with an open office concept. Far too noisy and distracting, can't concentrate or be as productive as I would like. No privacy or sense of belonging, just 1 member of management in a cage, sharing the same space with all the unionized employees. Stockholm Syndrome has affected many group leaders, who find it hard to address employee disciplinary problems due to the physical/psychological lack of separation between management and union.

Advice to Management

Have portable offices for group leaders for some privacy and a place to concentrate without distraction. My team leaders don't like my desk right beside theirs, anymore than I would want my boss's desk right beside mine, or he would like his boss's desk right beside him.

14 Jun, 2018 – Social Media Strategist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your feedback with us. We read each of our reviews and take them seriously.

"Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The community is nice. People are friendly.

Cons

some of the higher management staff is not qualified to be in that position. employees at lower levels are smarter than them. but it is hard to move up unless you wait for years, just like these people did. Some employees that have been here for ages are extremely unprofessional and its only recently that a new generation has started to be hired.

Advice to Management

Please learn to respect your employees and find more tactful ways to speak to them. this may not be the case in all departments but is definitely the case in Asset Remarketing and Customer Service.

13 Feb, 2018 – Social Media & Video

Thank you for providing such a detailed review of your experiences at GM.

"Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at General Motors (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of pay good.

Cons

Management is very very disorganized.

12 Feb, 2018 – Social Media & Video

We appreciate the feedback.

"Production Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshawa, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshawa, ON

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money, friendly hourly and consistent hours/work-life balance

Cons

No money, high pressure to succeed, a lot of contracted supervisors.

Advice to Management

Need to put more money into process and give support to new innovative ideas.

12 Feb, 2018 – Social Media & Video

Thanks for the review. We hope you were able to pass along some of the feedback to a manager.

9. "Trades"

Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in St. Catharines, ON
    Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in St. Catharines, ON

I have been working at General Motors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good company to work for. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

No long term planning always reactionary not forward looking when it comes to Maintenance management.
    No Skilled Trades hiring since 1990.

Advice to Management

Use common sense and treat people with respect not arrogance.
    Lead by example. Treat others as you would like them to treat you.

29 Jan, 2018 – Social Media & Video

We thank you for your feedback.

"CCA"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Oshawa, ON
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Oshawa, ON

I worked at General Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large Corporation with a lot of potential for upward movement. Size of company results in opportunities in various departments and many experiences.

Cons

Company is very slow moving and process driven to a fault. A lot of red tape, and disrupting the norm is very difficult to do. There is potential to move and gain experience within the company, however management is reluctant to invest in training and career progression- too short term sighted

Advice to Management

Too focused on metrics that prohibit long term growth. Teams are focused on immediate wins that are not sustainable. Too many processes that end up costing more time to complete a simple task.

29 Jan, 2018 – Social Media & Video

Thanks for the honest feedback. We hope you were able to find some value in your time with us, and that you continue to find success in your career!

Showing 1,923 of 3,431 reviews