Cover image for Gateway Casinos

Gateway Casinos

Is this your company?

Gateway Casinos

Add a Review

Gateway Casinos Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Oct. 26, 2021

Found 10 of over 258 reviews

3.3
Gateway Casinos CEO Tony Santo
Tony Santo
Pros
  • "Great opportunities for advancement and good benefits plan(in 14 reviews)

• "Fun co-workers, dynamic work environment, good pay(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper Management doesn't care about people or who puts in the hours(in 10 reviews)

• "Pretty much everything else, long hours, thankless job(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Gateway Casinos and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0

Food and Beverage Manager

Jul. 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

opportunities during a poor economy.

Cons

over worked, under paid. empty promises from upper management.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0

All about profit

Oct. 26, 2021 - Project Manager in Burnaby, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good co-workers, Work space and Benefits

Cons

Upper Management doesn't care about people or who puts in the hours. It's all about sweet talk and who's friends with who.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. Join the Gateway Casinos team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 1.0

Poor employee morale

Apr. 16, 2021 - Controller in London, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people who are helpful

Cons

Upper management only cares about bottom line

Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 2.0

Get in and get out!

Jul. 28, 2020 - Human Resources Assistant in Burnaby, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent place to start your career in HR! Great union experience, lots of hiring experience. Front line employees are mostly long term and are wonderful! Benefit plan is very good for excluded staff.

Cons

Upper Management is promoted by popularity not competencies. Constantly in firefighting mode, no forward thinking. Excluded staff salaries are very low

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0

Cage Supervisor

Sep. 21, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Money. That's literally the only reason I didn't leave two years earlier.

Cons

Everything else. Brutal schedule. No teamwork. The worst management team I've ever worked for. Blatant favouritism, inappropriate behaviour by upper management, no fairness whatsoever. No consideration for lateral movement and choose friends for positions.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Best to look for work elsewhere as this is NOT a good company to work for

Jan. 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Decent benefits * Opportunity to learn and be challenged at times

Cons

* while many organizations/companies have a lot of politics, Gateway tops the list or is near the top of the list in my opinion * upper management style is very poor with very little guidance and everything is a knee-jerk reaction as there is poor planning and poor communication to a lot of problems * the company has grown a lot over the years but it does not do an adequate job of putting the resources or the right resources in place to combat its growth spurts * upper management puts their selfish interests ahead of the interests of individual employees who do all the hard work while top management reap the benefits - usually they receive substantial salary increases/bonuses while low-level employees receive next to nothing and are expected to work crazy hours with unreasonable demands put on them * don't ever try asking for a salary increase as it will probably be declined. If you are given some increase it will be very miniscule * everyone at the corporate environment is usually very stressed out and instead of helping/training new people they usually leave new people on their own to figure things out. And then when new people make mistakes they are mocked or made fun of. Backbiting and talking behind peoples back is the norm. * zero work/life balance although initially when I first started I was told that there was a good work/life balance which didn't turn out to be the case when I was working 10+ hour work days * there are probably more cons but this is all I could think of at the moment

8. 2.0
      Current Employee

Slow moving, doesn't appear to

Oct. 2, 2017 - Supervisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Carried over our hourly rates from when we were OLG which is actually a half decent pay. - There is a pension plan, not as good as our old one with OLG, but it is alright and better than nothing - Carried over the same benefits plan as when we were OLG - Part time employees actual get good benefits currently - I feel safe in the workplace here, no fear of any major injuries - Things have slowly been improving - key word slowly -but still lots to improve on

Cons

- No one knows what will happen to their jobs, pay, benefits and pension rates as of May 9, 2018 - Upper management has been saying budgets are coming for more than 3 months now. How are we suppose to make smart business decisions and properly operate a department/business without a budget? - Company claims to develop and grow their employees from within; but when I asked for the opportunity to come in for a 3 hour training session to learn how to do actual functions of my job I was denied. Reason: without budgets we can't approve training because we might not have enough money to pay for the training. - Terrible communication. - Takes weeks just to get a posting up for a vacated position - Part time staff have no guarantee on hours and are sometimes scheduled less than 20 hours (less than half of full time) but other weeks are asked to work 40+ hours. If they refuse to work the 40 hour week then they are disciplined. - Part time staff make up 60% of the workforce at our site, but no system in place to help employees accommodate a second job. End result: Employees total pay for the year is below the poverty line. How does a company that makes millions force a majority of their staff to live in poverty while still boasting a 'living wage'? - No business performance numbers are shared with supervisors and low level managers. How are we supposed to run a business/department without any performance measures? - Upper management rarely visits our site - No one addresses favouritism, creates a poor work environment

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not worth the hours and stress.

May 4, 2016 - Shift Manager Food and Beverage in Burnaby, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Health benefits, added value to the resume for have worked in a very stressful environment.

Cons

Lots of hours and mostly unpaid overtime. Late hours. Clientele is very stressful. No proper care for employment related stress. No proper breaks, should be available on call even on breaks. Union staff act friendly only to get under your skin. Upper management keeps pushing middle management for better result, while cutting back on budgets. No proper training and shortage of all the tools required for the operation. Health risks increase as the HVAC is through the floor and not enough circulations. Not a professional workplace as you encounter rude harsh behavior from the management, staff and customers. Work life balance is really dreadful. Too many suggested policy while many don't exist on the policy manuals.

Gateway Casinos Response

HR Manager, OD

We're sorry to hear about the stressful situation. In situations like these, we ask that you contact your HR team immediately. Management should be responding to you and if you feel that they aren't, it's always advisable to speak to your boss's boss.

10. 2.0

Keep Looking

Mar. 18, 2016 - Security in New Westminster, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Gateway will provide you with lot's of advancement opportunities, and there are a lot of amazing people that work on the floor.

Cons

Working at Gateway you would experience the negatitivity, vindictive, and low moral portrayed from upper management. Working at Starlight, the management there have no clue what actually happens on the floor, and they only look at the figures and how to squeeze every ounce out of the facility. Again, the employees on the floor are awesome, but with incompetent management, they bring a very negative moral to the company.

3 people found this review helpful

Gateway Casinos Response

HR Manager, OD

We're sorry to hear about your negative interactions with Management and have forwarded your comments to the site HR team.

11. 2.0
      Current Employee

It's okay, but nothing that I would recomend to a friend

Jan. 17, 2015 - Senior Site Management
      Business Outlook

Pros

The extended benefits are really good, better than what government employees are offered. The wages are good once tips are factored in for tip eligible postions. Most people feel like they are part of a family, which is great considering the number of employees that are at each location. The theory of promotion is promotion from within, which is good, but there are cons which are discussed below.

Cons

Leadership is lacking. Most of management have no formal training and there is a general consensus that that is ok. While it is good to promote from within, there is a general lack of knowledge about business operations because the business knowledge is not transfered business decisions are poor and the leadership skills are weak. The communication is poor to the front line. Management generally does not share information with employees which leads to a sense of frustration and disengagement. Management wages are poor as tip positions generally make more than people that are supervising them which leads to promotion of people that not good candidates. I have been in mangement for about 17 years, and it is onky in the last3 or 4 that I earnmore then those I supervise. The current focus of training is customer service, but mangement does not receive training about how to manage. For the last 2 years senior management promotions make no sense, people with actual skills are not getting promoted, but ones that talk the game are getting the promotions. The site upper management are getting direction from people that are promoted for their ability to talk, not knowledge and it is exceptionally frustrating. The director of HR is phenomenal, personable, smart, and engaging, but most of the other directors are truly talking heads with little or no value added to the organisation. This likely results from biases created by those directors see on a more frequent basis. Work/life balance does not exist for salaried senior site employees. It is routinely expected we are at work monday to friday business hours to respond to phone calls and emails but also have presence during evenings and weekends. The work loads for daytime supervisors and managers is about double or triple than night time managers and supervisors due to corporate office expectations, but the payscale is the same. The day to day operations is controlled by an the accounting department. While accounting provides an invaluable service, it almost seems backward in this company. Typically, accounting should provide support for operations, but Gateway regularly has the expectation that operation supports accouting. For example, when site budgets are made, accouting has the final vetting of the budget and can over ride the revenue expectations based one what the accountant believes is reasonable, and then, site management is held accoutable for the budget regardless of decisions made by accounting.

7 people found this review helpful