GTM Sportswear Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

2.9
David Dreiling

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free gym memberships, on site health clinic that is free (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits - 401k, health/dental/vision (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes hard to be noticed by upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Super fast past during busy season and a lot of seasonal workers coming and going (in 6 reviews)

1. "GTM Sportswear review"

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Manhattan, KS (US)

I have been working at GTM Sportswear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reasons to work at GTM Sportswear would definitely be the amount of benefits received as well as the affordability and coverage of some of the bigger things such as medical and dental.

Cons

The downsides are the starting pay is very poor and does not get much better after working for awhile. Also, there is a lot of competition amongst employees that contributes to an overall aggressive and stressful workplace.

"Great People"

Former Employee - Tech Associate in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Tech Associate in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

The pay was way to Low Pay

"The People I Work with Are the Main Reason I Stay"

I have been working at GTM Sportswear full-time

Pros

My team members and immediate supervisors are great. For not being directly affiliated with the local university or in the local college district, this company is unusually understanding of students' school schedules and coursework loads. There are worse companies to have to work at in this area as a production or warehouse employee.

Cons

The workload is sometimes overwhelming. Climate control is spotty. Let me clarify: in the summer months, I was afraid the warehouse employees would get heat stroke.

Advice to Management

Please gain some understanding of what it takes for warehouse and production staff to make possible what you are apparently promising customers and corporate. If you're truly wanting capable, loyal, long-term employees to produce the goods that your business is selling, start treating them like equal participants.

"Good Company and Refocused"

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere with good pay

Cons

Lack of room for growth

"Full time Sales Associate"

I have been working at GTM Sportswear full-time

Pros

Good people, fun work environment

Cons

Not much growth potential to work up and the pay structure is bad.

7. "Amazing coworkers. HORRIBLE company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear (More than a year)

Pros

The only gift this company gave me were the relationships I created with my coworkers. Since the company was such a horror show we really needed to work together to get anything done.

Cons

The owner. Let go of HUNDREDS of loyal employees in waves once they implemented a new operating system that crippled their company. He still kept his private jet.. they made sure to fire me 7 days before my two year anniversary so they would only be required to compensate me for one week instead of two when they let me go.

Advice to Management

My manager was amazing. It's the owner. A bonafied frat boy with no apprehension in burning up money and making his employees the scapegoat.

"Anonymous Embroidery Operator"

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and some good/excellent employees I worked with were fun and energetic. Others, not so much.

Cons

Management at the time didn't seem to care about their production staff. We quit having meetings on a monthly basis also.

Advice to Management

Take complaints and employees more seriously if you want to keep your excellent ones working there a long time.

"Dumpster Fire of a company"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• The only pros to working at GTM are the friendships you make there. But, chances are those friendships won't last long because it's just a matter of time before you or they realize what a nightmare GTM is and quit like the hundreds of people before them.

Cons

Where do you even start?

• Communication, or lack thereof. So if you like to work at a place that is constantly changing because no one know what's going on, then this is the place for you! Certain departments are left out of crucial discussions and have no idea how to execute an assignment, but it is expected to do a perfect job as quickly as possible. Throwing away all your work and starting from the beginning again is a regular occurrence here.

• HR, don't even bother going to them they won't do anything for you. The company as a whole has no trust in management and executives, and the pay is barely enough to make ends meet in Manhattan. Every year during the yearly review they tell you they are looking into giving raises, and by May-June there is no more talk of it because leadership hopes that the employees forgot about it. News Flash - THEY DIDN'T. That seems to me the motto there: "hey if we don't say anything for a couple of weeks, maybe they will forget!" Good plan!

• General, Once you start working here and realize you made the biggest mistake ever you will be looking for a job double time. Just be prepared: when you go to put in your two weeks and let them know how excited you are to start a new career, don't expect any gratitude or appreciation for your hard work. Your manager will turn on you and act like a child. But, perhaps they're only mad because you're able to leave and they're still stuck in that dumpster fire of a company.

• General, Be prepared to work mandatory OT because instead of hiring extra help, they force you to work you to help out in the warehouse and pick garments off the rack during your normal work hours. The kicker? They still expect you to get all your work done on time.

• General, word has gotten out about how terrible of a company GTM is to work for, so they can't hire anyone to replace the people who have quit. So for the people who are still trapped in that dump, they're doing the work of 3-5 other people in addition to the job they were hired for. All for the same pay! Why hire new people when you can quadruple the workload of one person and pay them the same salary.

• General, Pay....what pay?? Oh thats right - there is no fair pay there unless the CEO likes you and you are on his good side. Then you get promoted, which would come with some sort of raise.

• General, Don't believe most of the good reviews on here, a lot of them are the HR team making up accounts trying to get the company's ratings up above the 2.5 it was.

• General, When someone in your departments leaves, be prepared for people to look to you to do their job. It won't matter that you have no idea how to do it! Who else is going to do it? A manager? Ha! That would mean they actually have to do work. This WILL happen when you are there because most people start working there and think this will be the best job ever, but quickly learn that flipping burgers it pays more and you'll have better benefits and a better work/home life.

• Benefits, If your spouse has benefits at their work, get those and save yourself some money. They have an on-site health clinic that has told people they were Pregnant even when the person knew they weren't, so they went to a real doctor and found out they had an intestinal infection. Or you could just have a really bad cold but be told you have mono and have your blood drawn only to find out you really don't have mono - SHOCKER! Only reason they have this is for the huge tax break they get at the end of the year. They'll do anything to put more money in the Leadership's pockets and not yours!

• Promotions, don't expect any unless you are part of a core group of people the leadership team likes. Seems like every month or 2 someone who just got a promotion is getting another one.

Advice to Management

• Nothing that hasn't been said before. Read the comments above and take them seriously or you will have 0 people in your department a year from now, that haven't come over from sales and is going back and spilling the beans to everyone about whats going on over in your department...little Sales Spies. Since that;s the only department that company cares about. They are the only ones who bring in the money!

"GTM review"

I worked at GTM Sportswear part-time

Pros

Great company environment! Very friendly staff and executives make effort to meet with lower-tier workers

Cons

Parts of building not climate-controlled.

"Overall Positive"

Current Employee - Developer in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Developer in Manhattan, KS (US)

I have been working at GTM Sportswear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GTM is a great place to develop your skills in the workforce. They provide great opportunities for advancement if one is willing to seek them out. They provide decent benefits and the recent acquisition with HANESbrandsInc has helped to solidify the trust in GTM Sportswear in regards to partnerships and vendors.

Cons

The company lacks a sense of direction. Particular members of management do not always understand their roles and responsibilities of looking forward, and this has lead to micromanagement and distractions for multiples areas in the company.

Advice to Management

My immediate advice would be to take a stronger interest in following up with the consequences of someone's actions, especially when it is affecting multiple members of the team (and causing GTM to lose exceptional talent.) The amount of favoritism for one employee has caused incredible amounts of harm within the development team and It's difficult to stand by and watch it happen.