GSM London Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Chris Holmes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The payout that you may receive from GSM London when they fire unjustifiably (in 8 reviews)

• Great place to work and develop career (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the Senior Management really need to stop bullying their staff (in 10 reviews)

• Being an employee at GSM London may sometimes feel criminal for this reason alone (in 7 reviews)

"Empowering and always encouraging"

I have been working at GSM London full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Don’t believe the negatives, it’s always easier to spread bad news. I’ve been working at GSM for over 5 years and my management team is incredibly encouraging and always ready to listen. I’ve never felt more valued and appreciated. My team is great, my line manager is wonderful and the Dean and her teams are amazing. The current HR team is forward thinking and there to support staff like it never has before. The college is incredibly supportive of its students, but there are rules and regulations that have to be followed. It’s easy to blame people when you don’t get what you want, but a little self reflection is necessary... did you comply and do everything that was required from you?
    Whenever suggestions are made to improve the organisation or programmes, they are met with interest and encouragement. GSM values there own and provide great opportunities for staff to further develop themselves to achieve their own potentials. Staff are given opportunities to expand their knowledge and experience, which is rare nowadays. To say they are supportive is an understatement.

Cons

It is normal for any SMBE to feel growing pains as it expands and this is the only con that GSM can be accused off. However there is a strong management team in place that is driving it forward in a very strong and positive way.

Advice to Management

Thank you for putting the right people in place and listening to those that have contributions to make. I am happy to be at GSM and look forward to being part of the journey.

2. "Awful! Glad I left not a place I would recommend to work"

I worked at GSM London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff other than managers and Exec are nice to work with

Cons

Some of the Senior Management really need to stop bullying their staff. Exec don't seem to care, there is also a lot of back biting at top level. Can be a toxic environment to work in

Advice to Management

Get the basics right, there is still a lot to do.

3. "Do not work or study at GSM"

Former Employee - H R Operations Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - H R Operations Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at GSM London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For two years I was made to feel that I was worthless and I had no guts to write here. My former colleague sent me an email after the BBC investigation into this GSM scam. He is only pro for myself to be honest here.

Cons

I have so many but I was heavily bullied by Greenford staff in business courses for making suggestions and the students were not happy with GSM and they took it out on myself. Please watch BBC investigation into GSM as shows you how bad it is and also I never knew it was this bad even after two years.

Advice to Management

Don't bully staff

5. "Excellent employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenford, England (UK)

I have been working at GSM London part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company benefits, training opportunities and good team environment.

Cons

Location not the easiest to get to.

"Do NOT study here please - here is why"

Former Employee - Manager in Greenford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Greenford, England (UK)

I worked at GSM London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice students, nice staff (few only) nice vending machine for breaks nice bonus for work if you know right manager. library staff always nice.

Cons

I'm a former manager here and my colleague informed me that the same rubbish that was occurring when I was there is now-colleague informed me of this page and is scared they will lose job. please can I beg you to stay away do not be fooled by the trees inside the building or the glass walls and the fancy attendance style machines. do not be fooled by the flags inside the building and do not be fooled to think that this place is worth to study at

Advice to Management

do not manage - leave

"Awful place to work."

Pros

Location maybe? The principal of what the college is supposed to stand for. Hopefully they will improve soon as not many pros at the moment unfortunately

Cons

The Senior management are not supportive of staff, lots of infighting between teams and the HR department not helpful. A lot wrong.

Advice to Management

Start again and look after your employees.

"Former staff"

Pros

Sincerely it's the innocent students. I feel so so sorry for these genuine people

Cons

Where to start. The BBC panorama show showed how corrupt this place is. But only to a small part. They are more corrupt. Fake students records. Fake papers. Fake everything. Why they get past regulator is due to clever scams. I will reveal this to police actually.

Advice to Management

Shut your scam down and stop
    Pretending to be ethically.

"GSM do not appreciate the staff they have"

I have been working at GSM London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Alternative Provider for people who may not have the opportunities to apply elsewhere
    Can be a good working environment as staff are initially very friendly

Cons

They do not care about their staff
    Job description is very vague to rope you into additional duties

"Lecturer"

I worked at GSM London part-time

Pros

Non management staff are friendly work hard and really do put effort in teaching the students.

Cons

Students are king there and some bosses tend to be very poor as in my case.
    A student failed my module after offering support for the last hour of my class every week and the student would alsways say to me "next week Ill show you my progress" but next week became next week until deadline day.

The student entered my classroom demanding I stop the lecture and help him to finish his coursework to meet the deadline at 2pm that day. when I asked what his progress was he told me he had not started. I refused to stop the class as we were in the middle of exam revision and the other students had finished and submitted their work and wanted to continue with our revision class for their exams.

This student inevitably failed. The next semester when results were published the student saw me as I finished a class claiming he did not know why he failed and that I should explain to him. I did explain for a full hour unpaid as I am was an associate and the student accepted my feedback.

A few weeks went by and he began to demand meeting after meeting with me and bosses, the bosses were getting higher with each meeting. Until the final meeting where the student exploded on me in front of my boss, accusing me of trying to kill him and all sorts of abuses were thrown at me such as I just failed him for no reason, that I am a witch and was putting spells on him to fail. I kid you not, I could not make up a better story. This meeting went for an hour and a half and I was not allowed to answer back to the student. the meeting only served to show the student was mentally unstable and that this was no longer simply a student challenging his grade.

After the meeting the student could not understand why I was still employed after making such accusations against me. Finally he went to make an accusation against me that constituted gross misconduct putting my career in jeopardy. I was suspended and investigated over this accusation for 6 weeks only for me to be cleared of the charges, but the student walked free, continued to attend classes as if nothing ever happened. He even graduated.

this institution has allowed to florish among its students a complain culture, which if done right by the students, gets lecturers fired, courseworks changed, marks changed, unlimited first-sits without marks being capped and resits with the loudest of the students able to make lecturers afraid to fail them.

There is no protection from the bosses who seemingly love complaints against their enemies and use the complaints as an opportunity to persecute their enemies.

Students complain and need not provide any evidence, instead the lecturers are the ones who have to provide evidence that they did not do what they are being accused of.

I was very dissapointed with management in my case even though I was not that student's first victim with three previous lecturers suffering a similar fate at the hands of this same student.

Advice to Management

Grow a pair of balls and stand up to this complain culture. Your staff do not need to feel afraid to fail students.

GSM London Response

27 Oct, 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

We are sorry to learn you did not have an entirely positive experience working with GSM.

"improving"

I have been working at GSM London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Improving college with loads of potential

Cons

lot of talking behind your back but aren't all places

Advice to Management

Work on the middle management

GSM London Response

27 Oct, 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

Thank you for the review.