GSM London Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Chris Holmes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great place to work and develop career" (in 3 reviews)

• "Some good support & staff and lecturers" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some of the Senior Management really need to stop bullying their staff" (in 10 reviews)

• "To the user, I say: If this helps alleviate the nausea that comes with realising you work or study at GSM London, you have my sympathy" (in 8 reviews)

"HR - People team"

I have been working at GSM London full-time

Pros

There is a HR team

Cons

They do not appear to do much , to many processes, complaints raised do not get addressed efficiently. It almost as if they try to pay you lip service than finding an actual resolution.

Advice to Management

Processes should be thought through end to end, and how it affects ALL stakeholders.

"working at gsm"

I have been working at GSM London part-time

Pros

good environment, staff normally help each other

Cons

disorganized, do not help students as they should or they say in the beginning

Advice to Management

to be more organized, focus on students need and progress

"Terrible Place for Students to study"

I worked at GSM London full-time

Pros

The students and one or two members of staff were the only good part of being here during my time

Cons

The staff who teach seem more concerned with their pay rather than students learning
    The finance department have told blatant lies to students regarding finance and the promise of repaying them once the student loans come through just to receive money from student and then the loans and keeping both and refusing to repay the students. Told student that they could not wait for the loan and the students studies would be curtailed without immediate payment. They try to claim for money after the students have graduated and send threatening emails stating they will withhold the degree without payment even though there is no valid reason to pay
    Students receive little to no help when they are facing difficulties with lecturers
    Marks for pieces of work are not explained, it almost appears that the students pass and fail depending on the mood of the marker rather than on merit of the work produced

Advice to Management

Repay the students the money you promised to pay back and take into account the students grievances and help the students prosper with their degrees. Otherwise this place will end up in ruins as I can promise I am not the only one with these views. Honor your word and help the students

"Mixed reviews"

I worked at GSM London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good
    My team was good

Cons

Very much 'who you know' not 'what you know' culture.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to have a voice and when they speak listen. Do not wait till its too late before you start correcting mistakes.

"A genuine Start up Feel from start to finish"

I worked at GSM London full-time

Pros

Most staff are pleasant to work with

You have the opportunity to develop unique processes and procedures

The variety of the three different sites Greenwich, London Bridge & Greenford is refreshing

New Ideas are genuinely welcomed

Cons

Can be very stressful environment to work in

Seeing some Senior Leadership members receiving a pay rise during a period of redundancy puts your motivation right off

Having to see front line staff made redundant in the first place was emotionally draining

They pay less (2%) into your pension plan than the employee contribution (3%)

Advice to Management

Provide greater investment and support to your HR team. Make pay across the company transparent. Sort out your pension contribution rate – you can afford to match the employee 3% amount. Do not give anyone a pay rise during a redundancy period – people will rightly question this as the money could be used instead to reduce the number of staff that were made redundant.

"An indictment of the HE system"

I worked at GSM London full-time

Pros

- Some genuinely decent and competent staff (I must emphasise that these are very few in number, and I know they are all looking for work elsewhere).

Cons

- Semi-literate faculty members

- Incompetence at the highest level of the organisation. Vast sums spent on projects, only for them to be abandoned later.
    - Nepotism (ask anyone who has ever worked there)
    - The Greenford campus has the feel of a graveyard for the living. The cafeteria food might fix the 'living' part, though.

Standing outside the Greenwich campus, one is often struck by a distinct waft of cannabis smoke. To the user, I say: If this helps alleviate the nausea that comes with realising you work or study at GSM London, you have my sympathy.

Advice to Management

While I applaud the effort to contrive a higher rating on Glassdoor, Google Reviews and elsewhere by urging staff and students to say nice things about GSM London (perhaps even writing those reviews for them), I'd encourage you to find ways to make it a little less obvious.

But really: less time trying to fix bad reviews, more time trying to fix what leads to them. Capeesh?

PS, ever heard of paper towels? Provide those in the bathrooms.

7. "Marketing Innovators in education space"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at GSM London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company means you are part of a close community

Make a difference to the lives of students

Healthy marketing budget means you can explore the full marketing mix

Quick decision making

Cons

Systems and processes are not robust/ new which can be frustrating

Sales target driven environment which may not suit everyone

"Empowering and always encouraging"

I have been working at GSM London full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Don’t believe the negatives, it’s always easier to spread bad news. I’ve been working at GSM for over 5 years and my management team is incredibly encouraging and always ready to listen. I’ve never felt more valued and appreciated. My team is great, my line manager is wonderful and the Dean and her teams are amazing. The current HR team is forward thinking and there to support staff like it never has before. The college is incredibly supportive of its students, but there are rules and regulations that have to be followed. It’s easy to blame people when you don’t get what you want, but a little self reflection is necessary... did you comply and do everything that was required from you?
    Whenever suggestions are made to improve the organisation or programmes, they are met with interest and encouragement. GSM values there own and provide great opportunities for staff to further develop themselves to achieve their own potentials. Staff are given opportunities to expand their knowledge and experience, which is rare nowadays. To say they are supportive is an understatement.

Cons

It is normal for any SMBE to feel growing pains as it expands and this is the only con that GSM can be accused off. However there is a strong management team in place that is driving it forward in a very strong and positive way.

Advice to Management

Thank you for putting the right people in place and listening to those that have contributions to make. I am happy to be at GSM and look forward to being part of the journey.

"Not a real university."

I worked at GSM London full-time

Pros

Nice building. Some staff are nice.

Cons

Bad teaching, unprofessional teachers with no academic skills.
    Student hub is lazy and very slow.
    Not sanitary, washrooms are filthy including the canteen.
    Cancelling students degrees in the middle of terms.
    Messing up students student finance.

"Awful! Glad I left not a place I would recommend to work"

I worked at GSM London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff other than managers and Exec are nice to work with

Cons

Some of the Senior Management really need to stop bullying their staff. Exec don't seem to care, there is also a lot of back biting at top level. Can be a toxic environment to work in

Advice to Management

Get the basics right, there is still a lot to do.