GSM London Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Chris Holmes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The payout that you may receive from GSM London when they fire unjustifiably (in 8 reviews)

• If the senior management are changed then there are opportunities for the business to achieve great things (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The place is a circus when looking at how senior management runs the place (in 8 reviews)

• Being an employee at GSM London may sometimes feel criminal for this reason alone (in 7 reviews)

"GSM do not appreciate the staff they have"

I have been working at GSM London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Alternative Provider for people who may not have the opportunities to apply elsewhere
    Can be a good working environment as staff are initially very friendly

Cons

They do not care about their staff
    Job description is very vague to rope you into additional duties

"Lecturer"

I worked at GSM London part-time

Pros

Non management staff are friendly work hard and really do put effort in teaching the students.

Cons

Students are king there and some bosses tend to be very poor as in my case.
    A student failed my module after offering support for the last hour of my class every week and the student would alsways say to me "next week Ill show you my progress" but next week became next week until deadline day.

The student entered my classroom demanding I stop the lecture and help him to finish his coursework to meet the deadline at 2pm that day. when I asked what his progress was he told me he had not started. I refused to stop the class as we were in the middle of exam revision and the other students had finished and submitted their work and wanted to continue with our revision class for their exams.

This student inevitably failed. The next semester when results were published the student saw me as I finished a class claiming he did not know why he failed and that I should explain to him. I did explain for a full hour unpaid as I am was an associate and the student accepted my feedback.

A few weeks went by and he began to demand meeting after meeting with me and bosses, the bosses were getting higher with each meeting. Until the final meeting where the student exploded on me in front of my boss, accusing me of trying to kill him and all sorts of abuses were thrown at me such as I just failed him for no reason, that I am a witch and was putting spells on him to fail. I kid you not, I could not make up a better story. This meeting went for an hour and a half and I was not allowed to answer back to the student. the meeting only served to show the student was mentally unstable and that this was no longer simply a student challenging his grade.

After the meeting the student could not understand why I was still employed after making such accusations against me. Finally he went to make an accusation against me that constituted gross misconduct putting my career in jeopardy. I was suspended and investigated over this accusation for 6 weeks only for me to be cleared of the charges, but the student walked free, continued to attend classes as if nothing ever happened. He even graduated.

this institution has allowed to florish among its students a complain culture, which if done right by the students, gets lecturers fired, courseworks changed, marks changed, unlimited first-sits without marks being capped and resits with the loudest of the students able to make lecturers afraid to fail them.

There is no protection from the bosses who seemingly love complaints against their enemies and use the complaints as an opportunity to persecute their enemies.

Students complain and need not provide any evidence, instead the lecturers are the ones who have to provide evidence that they did not do what they are being accused of.

I was very dissapointed with management in my case even though I was not that student's first victim with three previous lecturers suffering a similar fate at the hands of this same student.

Advice to Management

Grow a pair of balls and stand up to this complain culture. Your staff do not need to feel afraid to fail students.

27 Oct, 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

We are sorry to learn you did not have an entirely positive experience working with GSM.

"improving"

I have been working at GSM London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Improving college with loads of potential

Cons

lot of talking behind your back but aren't all places

Advice to Management

Work on the middle management

27 Oct, 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

Thank you for the review.

5. "Great diversity place to work"

I have been working at GSM London full-time

Pros

Great place to work and develop career. Very divers workforce and board directors very helpful.

Cons

Depending on department, there is usually very limited chances of trainings.

Advice to Management

Some departments may require trainings to perform better.

27 Oct, 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

Thank you for the review - we note your comments.

"Lot's to improve"

Pros

the people not in management are generally nice and do try to do their job well despite the obstacles. There a lot of willingness especially amongst academics to better the type of education provided and there is truly a lot of commitment..

Cons

The high management is generally made of friends of friends, sons, daughters, best friends, aunts, uncles. But is not a nice family- everyone think about their now interests and the money only flows that way while the employees at lowers levels ( that actually get the job done!) get close to nothing!

27 Oct, 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

Thank you for the feedback - we are sorry that you didn't have a great experience with us.

"Enjoying the role and company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Greenwich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Greenwich, England (UK)

Pros

Good people, change management, salary, proactive CEO. Lots of change is happening at GSM and I'm pleased to be part of it and have an input into it.

Cons

I have been in the role less than one year but so far no major concerns.

Advice to Management

Starting with the basics is great. Change is taking place and this is positive and well thought out.

27 Oct, 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

Thank you for the feedback.

"One big family of bullies"

Pros

Cheap but poor quality food in the canteen. Good location. Great students. Library services.

Cons

No induction or nothing could prepare you for what you will go through at GSM London. GSM is a unique place in a sense where you will be bullied openly and recklessly, where your identity, personality and "being" will be destroyed through systematic harassment and bullying, where you will see half dozen of siblings working in the same department next to each other, where you will be excluded from all sorts of benefits and perks if you refuse to worship your line manager who is most likely a - disqualified and incapable of achieving any task academic - good friend of the senior management or if you are not one of those privileged members who are well-protected by the senior management no matter what. You will receive the rudest and nastiest emails- in your life - from your line manager as well as from the senior management and you will be told off very frequently for no apparent reason. You will barely see the well-paid top managers around whilst your attendance will be strictly monitored and reported to your line manager by your work colleagues. Although GSM London promotes itself proudly as a widening participation focused institution, the mentioned group is not students but the staff themselves. Some of the members of the senior management are proud of themselves by holding well-paid high-end positions within the organisation thanks to their links to the senior management and to their habit of reading women magazines where they can learn everything they need to know to manage their jobs from.

Advice to Management

The whole senior management should be replaced with honourable, dignify and non-corrupt people who would not see GSM as their very own cash machine.

7 Apr, 2017

I am very sorry that you feel this way about your time working at GSM London.

I can’t speak about what may have been the case in the past, but since I took up the CEO role last October I have... More

"Work life"

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Greenford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Greenford, England (UK)

I have been working at GSM London part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly helpful staff and motivated students

Cons

Not cheap tp live in the area

"I found GSM London a good place to work"

I worked at GSM London full-time

Pros

There have been some pretty bruising reviews of this workplace. These reviewers may have had bad experiences here, but I think they give an overstatedly negative overall impression. It's not a perfect employer, but how many of those are there? And it's steadily improving.

They are aware of their shortcomings, and are genuinely working to address them. GSM has the collegiate feel you often find in small HEIs, with a more 'personal' touch than you frequently experience in larger places. I found colleagues generally helpful, welcoming, and willing to listen.

GSM's student (and to some extent staff) demographic makes them unique. They have a clear aim to provide HE learning to those who might not usually consider this route. This sometimes makes the work challenging, but meeting those challenges can also bring great satisfaction. The College has made great strides in a very short time, is constantly evolving and reviewing, and is making a concerted effort to achieve degree awarding powers. All these things make it an exciting place to work. At time of writing its Chair of Directors is Sir Bob Burgess, a respected and influencial figure in HE. This has been beneficial for the College.

And the students are way better than some previous reviews imply. Yes they are probably more likely to challenge and question outcomes, policy, procedure but mainly as they are largely mature and with more life experience including employment and running their own companies, having families. GSM knows there are retention issues, but nowhere near as hysterically framed in other reviews, and the college is addressing the issue. Some previous reviews unfairly negate the dedication, commitment and achievement of many of the students.

I was on a very good salary, relative to similar roles elsewhere.

GSM is a great place for anyone who wants to make their mark in a developing HE institution where the people are willing to respond to direction. It's a good fit for an outgoing, clear-thinking person who is determined and methodical but also able to react quickly to situations.

I had to move on for various reasons but not through dislike of GSM. I learnt a lot there and it has helped my career development. It can be a strange and infuriating place, but it has a good heart and admirable intentions and ethos. And it will keep getting better.

Cons

Some of the cons are to an extent beyond GSM's control. e.g., as an 'alternative provider' (i.e. privately-funded) it is subject to additional external regulation, justifiable in some ways, but disproportionate in practice. Meeting the demands of this regulation is time-consuming and resource-intense, and can distract from the important business of strategy and review. It can also contribute to a rather chaotic feel at times, but e.g. a new CEO has recently pushed back some key developments to help unclutter the road ahead. More of this sort of approach will be of benefit.

There are three intakes per academic year, which presents various operational challenges. These are managed as best as can be, but this model is always going to be fairly daunting.

Other cons are solvable; GSM isn't very adept at 'talking to itself' about the good stuff, sharing good practice, institutionally tracking positive initiatives, joining them up. There are sometimes other communication issues, such as disseminating developments etc beyond the senior team, but this is being addressed. Operational changes such as staff comings and goings and switches of roles could be communicated much better.

As a validated institution, GSM is often subject to the vagaries and idiosyncrasies of its validating authority, Plymouth University. This can be problematic and, during my time, sometimes felt it was shackling the College in its attempts to evolve and develop.

Advice to Management

Build on the good work that has been done and keep listening to staff and students.

Make sure the College has the internal conversation about good initiatives and keeps it going. Through this, ensure developments are in line with strategy, reviewed, and provide cross-institutional enhancement.

Present a firmer front to Plymouth and get across that GSM is a maturing institution and not an errant teenager in need of parental guidance.

"Great history, great place, exciting future"

Current Employee - Department Head in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Department Head in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GSM London full-time

Pros

As someone that has been at GSM London for a reasonable period, this is a great place to work if you are someone that is truly interested in making a real difference in the lives of students rather than just looking for a 'self-serving' academic job that gives you a decent salary.

The staff are amazing but just like any other place there are a few that may not be fully committed and you tend to see them leave relatively quickly. The academic staff are committed with a good balance between those with a long track record in HE and those with significant industry experience. Students recognise this strength in the yearly satisfaction survey and in the more regular module evaluation survey. In my opinion, the focus on personal development and graduate attributes is commendable and best-practice across the sector - you can attribute this to the leadership of the current Provost and Dean of Faculty and the commitment of the wider staff (both academic and non-academic). Many programmes have strong professional body links which demonstrates their high quality, workplace recognition. More recently, a personal tutoring and strength-based learning initiative are full of promises, although still in the 'baby' period.

The industry week for various subject areas are best-practice and something that other institutions should take notice of - entrepreneurship week, women in business, energy futures, and careers in finance, to name a few.

There are many other examples of great work being done at this institution. Generally, it is a place where you can get involved, develop yourself, develop others, and make a real difference.

Cons

There are some issues that require attention such as the types of tailored support for students. This is a challenge that could do with innovative (not 'traditional') solutions. The biggest asset of this institution are the staff and there is a need to invest more in their development.

Advice to Management

Address the records management system - most student or staff related issues comes from this.