GO Outdoors Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The staff discount is also unbeatable especially if you are the outdoorsy type (in 19 reviews)

• Friendly staff members and management (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage is also a let down as a lot is expected from you (in 11 reviews)

• the pay is minimum wage which can be restricting, can be quiet in the shop sometimes meaning theres not much to do (in 4 reviews)

1. "Hard to fault"

Pros

worked with some of the nicest people i had the please of meeting, even if mistakes were made there was an understanding given my the managers that never made it feel like an punishment.

Cons

The erratic shift schedule meant it could be a pain to plan around it difficult

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I worked at GO Outdoors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, friendly, pleasantly busy place to work. Great for students or any part time work really.
    Good products and the customers tended to be friendly and genuine.

Cons

Pay was pretty poor, was promised benefits and discount to make up for it at interview, then was told a variety of evasive answers as to why I hadn't received it - it was only for full time staff/after probation/there's a card that has to be printed etc. (Turns out I had a discount code the whole time they just didn't want staff to use it - found this out after I left).
    Staff were all very young or quite senior with not much in between which facilitates your usual workplace drama.
    Store was either freezing cold or boiling hot - not much was done to make staff comfortable, we just had to get on with it.

Advice to Management

Totally different management now so can't really comment.

3. "Awful"

I worked at GO Outdoors part-time

Pros

good people you meet an work with

Cons

Awful mangement, poor wages, bad staff can create bad atmosphere, high turnover

Advice to Management

stop sacking staff

"Blind leading the blind"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Ipswich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Ipswich, England (UK)

I have been working at GO Outdoors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount and work place vibe is generally good.
     Very flexible hours and department flexibility.
    Would be ideal for students if the below problems are fixed

Cons

Our direct managers were not trained and when we had our 'probation' period we were supposed to get one to Ones however it was deemed 'too time consuming' for any part time staff to have one (which made up about 80% of our store) many people got let go without any warning and many of us are still worried as our positions still haven't been confirmed after our 3 months probation.
    Minimum wage is also a let down as a lot is expected from you.
    Not much opportunity to move up the company either
    We have an app used to book our shifts and we can adjust our 'availability' current manager is pretty useless when looking at availability, and saying that if you are 'unavailable ' you must find cover which is difficult if you are the only person who is trained in your department.
    You are expected to carry out 'homework' that secures you're employment however you are not paid to carry out this 'training' and may not have enough time to do it.

Advice to Management

Please make more of an effort to train new management, make sure that your management listens to what the app is telling them about availability. Also paying everyone the same wage for all ages as the same is expected from all, probably more so from some who are under 18.

6. "part time sales"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at GO Outdoors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to work great people

Cons

not a great rate of pay

7. "If it wasn't for upper-management"

Former Employee - Retail Assistant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at GO Outdoors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly fellow employees
    Approachable and down to earth middle management
    EXCELLENT staff discount
    Relaxed workplace

Cons

Dire head office management - they tried but pretty clueless and out of touch.
    They like to employ incompetents to manage stores (in their own image I suppose).
    Like to employ the youngest people possible (presumably to save as much money as possible) so lots of the staff have no clue about what they are selling putting all the pressure and responsibility on the older and more experienced staff members who are also on minimum wage of course (including people opening up the stores and running departments).

Advice to Management

Show your staff more respect and for a lot (but not all) of them - work on your people skills.

8. "Friendly staff"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chelmsford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chelmsford, England (UK)

I have been working at GO Outdoors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are friendly and welcoming.

Cons

Low pay. Difficult customers. Managers never know when products get back in stock; customers get angry.

"Go Outdoors"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant

I have been working at GO Outdoors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyones friendly and its like having a second family
    - Diverse work place with loads of different things to learn
    - Great staff discount
    - Customers are usually lovely to talk to and often treat you as a friend
    - Managers are friendly

Cons

- Pay is minimum
    - Customers are 50/50, some are downright rude or ignorant.
    - No reward for working hard and putting in the extra effort other than your own satisfaction of a job well done.
    - Tills are outdated and every computer system we own is slow and not fit for purpose

Advice to Management

- Pay closer attention to the workforce
    - Implement a rewards system to help motivate employees

10. "Store Assistant"

Former Employee - Retail Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Retail Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at GO Outdoors (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff discount seems very generous, takes a good chunk off items. Allowed to use with immediate family but managers told me friends couldnt use it

Cons

Staff were horrible. Thought they were nice from my interview but the managers were incredibly blunt and patronising, and also formed a 'clique' if you must with staff who had been there a while, I heard them call other members of the staf all the time and they weren't even bothered- completelt unprofessional and made me feel uncomfortable knowing my name will have probably gone round too. Other staff members were similar in character, and one manager in particular clearly favoured some staff more than others for no reason. I was often left on tills with little guidance, and no opportunities whatsoever to be trained in any other section of the store, making me feel like a spare part. Instead of keeping me on, they then let me contract run out because they couldn't be bothered to train me elsehwere. Overall couldn't trust managers, little opportunity to showcase ability, felt a a disadvantage right from the off.

Advice to Management

Grow up and act professional. Stop slagging off your staff and stop picking favourites.

11. "Shop Assistant"

Pros

Targets, friendly, flexible hours, nice staff, rewarded for hard work and good reviews.

Cons

Have to work over Christmas due to it being a shop other than that no cons. It's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Maybe offer targets for till staff and offer more in terms of progression. Other than that no criticism.