GO Outdoors Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Minimum wage is also a let down as a lot is expected from you (in 12 reviews)

• the pay is minimum wage which can be restricting, can be quiet in the shop sometimes meaning theres not much to do (in 4 reviews)

1. "OK place to work"

I worked at GO Outdoors part-time

Pros

Good staff discount and good people to work with

Cons

Very unorganised, management didn't really care about the staff

2. "management"

Current Employee - Management Assistant in Ḩawwārah, Amman Governorate (Jordan)
    Current Employee - Management Assistant in Ḩawwārah, Amman Governorate (Jordan)

I have been working at GO Outdoors full-time

Pros

management activity

planning
    research
    timing

Cons

flexible and managing change

Advice to Management

business

3. "Need to review both training and health and safety"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at GO Outdoors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues and management in the store are great to work with and very supportive.

Staff discount

Cons

Paying minimum wage to staff is not conducive to getting the most out of staff. For goodness sake with your profits you can well afford to pay the living wage.

For a company with more than 60 stores why do you not have proper health, safety and environmental policies and standards? Have you not heard of OHSAS 18001 or I SO 14001?

Advice to Management

This is not directed at my store management more, no all aimed at HQ management teams. How often does your HQ based Health and Safety Manager visit stores? Worked for you for over a year and he hasn't been to our store.
    Why are you not taking any environmental leads? Look at your store lighting and heating, has no one explored more efficient ways? Packaging, why are you not telling suppliers to reduce packaging in particular your own brands? Take the lead from Berghaus who are leading the way.

Staff training on products is very limited, you are expected to use web based learning in your own time. When you pay minimum wage do you really think it is reasonable to expect them to study in their own time?
    I could go on, maybe I will in 2018.

5. "Summer Till staff"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Wolverhampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Wolverhampton, England (UK)

I worked at GO Outdoors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, fun shifts, regular shifts and simple work

Cons

Understaffed, limited training and quiet store

6. "Hard to fault"

Pros

worked with some of the nicest people i had the please of meeting, even if mistakes were made there was an understanding given my the managers that never made it feel like an punishment.

Cons

The erratic shift schedule meant it could be a pain to plan around it difficult

7. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I worked at GO Outdoors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, friendly, pleasantly busy place to work. Great for students or any part time work really.
    Good products and the customers tended to be friendly and genuine.

Cons

Pay was pretty poor, was promised benefits and discount to make up for it at interview, then was told a variety of evasive answers as to why I hadn't received it - it was only for full time staff/after probation/there's a card that has to be printed etc. (Turns out I had a discount code the whole time they just didn't want staff to use it - found this out after I left).
    Staff were all very young or quite senior with not much in between which facilitates your usual workplace drama.
    Store was either freezing cold or boiling hot - not much was done to make staff comfortable, we just had to get on with it.

Advice to Management

Totally different management now so can't really comment.

8. "Awful"

I worked at GO Outdoors part-time

Pros

good people you meet an work with

Cons

Awful mangement, poor wages, bad staff can create bad atmosphere, high turnover

Advice to Management

stop sacking staff

"Blind leading the blind"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Ipswich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Ipswich, England (UK)

I have been working at GO Outdoors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount and work place vibe is generally good.
     Very flexible hours and department flexibility.
    Would be ideal for students if the below problems are fixed

Cons

Our direct managers were not trained and when we had our 'probation' period we were supposed to get one to Ones however it was deemed 'too time consuming' for any part time staff to have one (which made up about 80% of our store) many people got let go without any warning and many of us are still worried as our positions still haven't been confirmed after our 3 months probation.
    Minimum wage is also a let down as a lot is expected from you.
    Not much opportunity to move up the company either
    We have an app used to book our shifts and we can adjust our 'availability' current manager is pretty useless when looking at availability, and saying that if you are 'unavailable ' you must find cover which is difficult if you are the only person who is trained in your department.
    You are expected to carry out 'homework' that secures you're employment however you are not paid to carry out this 'training' and may not have enough time to do it.

Advice to Management

Please make more of an effort to train new management, make sure that your management listens to what the app is telling them about availability. Also paying everyone the same wage for all ages as the same is expected from all, probably more so from some who are under 18.

10. "part time sales"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at GO Outdoors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to work great people

Cons

not a great rate of pay

"If it wasn't for upper-management"

Former Employee - Retail Assistant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at GO Outdoors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly fellow employees
    Approachable and down to earth middle management
    EXCELLENT staff discount
    Relaxed workplace

Cons

Dire head office management - they tried but pretty clueless and out of touch.
    They like to employ incompetents to manage stores (in their own image I suppose).
    Like to employ the youngest people possible (presumably to save as much money as possible) so lots of the staff have no clue about what they are selling putting all the pressure and responsibility on the older and more experienced staff members who are also on minimum wage of course (including people opening up the stores and running departments).

Advice to Management

Show your staff more respect and for a lot (but not all) of them - work on your people skills.