GBL Reviews

Updated Feb 9, 2020

4.6
GBL CEO Cyrus Naini (no image)
Cyrus Naini

"Great work environment"

Current Employee - Director of Revenue

I have been working at GBL full-time for less than a year

Pros

A collaborative and innovative work environment where employees can thrive. There are a ton of really talented and smart people at the organization and it is refreshing to see a company recognize people for their efforts.

Cons

There are minor growing pains like with all companies this size however its great to see the company strive to continually improve. Feedback and change are implemented quickly.

2. "Great Experience"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Tester in Waterloo, ON

I worked at GBL part-time for less than a year

Pros

Dynamic work environment and great training process.

Cons

There is a learning curve, but manageable.

3. "Fun work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON

I worked at GBL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours, on-tap cider, game consoles and standing desks

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at the moment

"Good working environment surrounded by fantastic people"

Former Employee - Full Stack Developer in Kitchener, ON

I worked at GBL full-time for more than a year

Pros

The GM has implemented several positive changes to the company, has lots of good big picture strategies and does his best to keep employees informed. He has also taken the time to get to know every single person who works for GBL and will check up on them both periodically and when a significant change affects them. Management listens to your career aspirations and does its best to accomodate you. People may not always get to work on exactly what they want when they want, but everyone is given the chance to let management know where they want to be. People genuinely care about you here. For the most part, employees in management and leadership positions are there due not only to their technical knowledge and/or experience but also their people skills. Nice office space in downtown Kitchener. It still feels weird to compliment DTK, but it has legitimately become a great place to work and I only see it getting better. GBL has most of the perks that you'd expect from a tech company such as free snacks, alcohol in the office, a foosball table, gaming consoles, flexible working hours and not having a dress code. Tech debt is addressed when there is time. Cutting edge tech stack.

Cons

Cutting edge tech stack. The work, while potentially interesting if you're a logical or quantitative thinker, isn't the most rewarding due to the industry of most of GBL's clients. If you're looking to make the world a better place, this is not the place for you. Some great people have left this company. This happens everywhere and it's always sad to see co-workers you liked leave, but for a small company it stings even more.

"Dream Job"

I have been working at GBL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Kind and welcoming team members who are knowledgeable. Great understanding about work/home life balance. Company is open and honest about the inner workings with all team members. Events and Snacks/Beer on tap. Everyone is motivated and works hard to do well for the company.

Cons

cannot say anything bad about this great place

"Excellent Work Place!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON

I have been working at GBL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great perks, Snack Bar, Beer tap, etc. Great people to work with Excellent Work Life Balance

Cons

None at the moment to report

"Dream job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON

I have been working at GBL full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing work environment - State of the art facility - Great employee morale - CEO is AMAZING - he makes the place fun and exciting while still remaining professional and holding his employees accountable - Lots of employee perks! - Good benefits

Cons

- Parking in downtown Kitchener can be a pain

"Awesome culture"

4.0

I have been working at GBL full-time

Pros

Amazing group of people at GBL. Always look forward to going to work.

Cons

Processes in place are still improving. Will take some time naturally.

"Amazing Place To Work!"

Back-End Developer in Kitchener, ON

I have been working at GBL for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with GBL from nearly the beginning and it's certainly been an interesting ride. We have always had interesting products (writing custom software for different clients, primarily in the cryptocurrency space) but there have been bumps along the way. Watching the transformation in the last 6 months has been the most exciting time in the business by far! We went through some major needed changes when new management and HR took over. This has significantly improved the daily operations, transparency, quality of hire and overall support we get. For the first time the business has a clear direction and strategy and we're finally firing on all cylinders. I am so glad I got in when I did and am excited to see how we continue to grow in the coming months/years! We also now have one of the nicest offices in all of KW that I've ever seen and the company now provides a host of free snacks so you never go hungry. Great environment to be working in.

Cons

Some under performers / bad attitudes still lingering from the old mode, but even that seems to be improving. Running out of space as we keep growing, so might need to move offices again.

Continue reading

"Great company doing really interesting work"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at GBL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Central location in downtown Kitchener Really great coworkers Challenging problems to solve

Cons

Typical growing pains of a start-up (some changes in leadership, outgrowing office space)

Found 24 reviews