Full Spectrum Laser Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

CEO

"don't waste youf time"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Full Spectrum Laser full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your financial increase is based on the company as a whole, however that is artificially adjusted from the top

Cons

incompetence of management and ownership. They will promise you incentives during the hiring process, then once you are hired you are treated like you are incompetent. There is no opportunity for growth in positions, not departmentally, or financially, you are hired for a position and that is final. There are no raise negotiations. I wish that I would have read the reviews on glass door prior to coming here, a BIG mistake not to have done so.

Advice to Management

honor your word

"Stay away"

I worked at Full Spectrum Laser full-time

Pros

If you're a masochist that enjoys being belittled, berated and are looking to commit career suicide, this is the place for you.

Cons

Management is atrocious. The CEO has some kind of mental condition that is very obvious the first time you meet him. It's clear that all terrible decisions and mismanagement start right at the top. I've never worked with so many people that were so miserable all the time. You will immediately get the impression that everyone is still there only because they feel trapped. After reviewing the Faustian contracts that they wanted me to sign to be hired on, I understand why. I anticipate this company being a black mark on my resume even though I got out as quickly as I could.

Advice to Management

If you can't actually empathize with customers and employees, then you should at least practice faking it better. Soulless was just a word to me before I had to deal with the people you've placed in leadership positions.

"Very demoralizing and negative place to work. You are better than this place!"

I worked at Full Spectrum Laser full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool technology if you are new to the industry. Competitive pay. You can learn a lot for as long as you can put up with the environment.

Cons

Unfortunately it all comes back to the CEO. He micromanages every aspect of engineering, and occasionally sales and marketing as well. Thinking for yourself is discouraged, and the CEO doesn't really value anyone's opinion but his own. This was true even with C levels and experienced engineers, many of whom left during my employment. On top of this, projects are often cancelled, or directions changed on a whim, often resulting in months of lost effort and general demoralization.

Another thing that always bothered me was that skilled assembly workers were treated as disposable trash, underpaid, not given proper tools, and often required to work in unsafe and uncomfortable conditions.

Advice to Management

Hire good people and get out of the way.

"Good Place for Software Developers, Mechanical and Chemical Engineers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Full Spectrum Laser (More than a year)

Pros

Programmers are generally very busy, but are willing to stop and help answer one another's questions. The company's flagship products are laser cutters, but they also have 3D printers (using lasers instead of filament), so staff know all the ins-and-outs of all the laser products very well to help you get work done efficiently.

Workspaces are provided either near the equipment you're developing (right in the lab) or in quieter areas to allow you to work without the noise of machinery and testing.

Cons

There is limited growth potential. There are few development teams, so not much reason to have dedicated managers/supervisors over groups and teams. There are no distinct team leads, other than by seniority, but it is informal enough that no one specifically reports their work to anyone else.

Advice to Management

Incentives such as bonuses for work completed or projects finished would be a great boost to morale.

"Good Opportunity for New Grads"

Former Employee - Engineer in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Full Spectrum Laser full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They can train you really hard to make cheap products. The stressful environment really makes you grow. I have gained a tremendous amount of patient from this company. The products are very interesting. They make cheap 3D printers for the consumer's market.

Cons

The management here is a little messy. The turnover rate is just a little high.

Advice to Management

To be the best VS. being cheap? Reputation VS. short term profits?

"Terrible management"

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Full Spectrum Laser full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Biweekly Costco deliveries of noodles and chips that are gone in about 2 days. Good resume filler. Good PTO accrual

Cons

Terrible management. They allow employees to be managers who have no idea how to lead or be in charge of a team. Having your own opinions is discouraged. They cram as many desks as possible into tiny offices. Getting supplies is next to impossible due to tremendous lack of communication between teams. Please know what you're getting in to before taking this job. It is frowned upon to use PTO and you will be asked about every little detail despite how private the matter may be.

"Mechanical Engineer"

I have been working at Full Spectrum Laser full-time

Pros

It creates interesting products. The company is constantly trying to push out products. Thus, there are lots of oppotunities to get involve and contribute.

Cons

The management is somewhat messy. Some times it is hard to find things to do. And other times you are swarmed with random tasks you can't focus on what you want to do

Advice to Management

Have more snacks in the break room. Cup noodles are terrible for you. As employees, we need better nutrition for us to keep high quality work