Fuel Industries Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Fuel Industries Reviews

Updated Oct 17, 2019

2.9
Fuel Industries CEO Mike Burns (no image)
Mike Burns
  1. "It was a wild ride!"

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time

Pros

We made some cool sites and games! Had some amazing times.

Cons

Work life balance didn't really pan out so well.

Advice to Management

Godspeed!

Fuel Industries2017-08-02
  2. "Grind and not great."

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

-exciting topics, big name brands

Cons

-poor management, small business style

Fuel Industries2019-10-17
  3. "Terrible management but talented staff"

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

This studio had lots of devoted and talented general staff members who had solid experience. The type of clients they had were all big brands.

Cons

All management, directors, and partners were ill-fitting, delusional and bullies. They were the ones who drove that place bankrupt.

Fuel Industries2019-08-01
  4. "Software developer"

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time

Pros

dynamic team, creative atmosphere, good location

Cons

overtime is needed from time to time

Fuel Industries2019-03-14
  5. "Work hard play harder!"

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team, great parties, good salary

Cons

Lots of hours, hard to manage work / life

Advice to Management

Better project planning to reduce overtime required.

Fuel Industries2019-01-22
  6. "Another rebuttal for "Great while it lasted""

I have been working at Fuel Industries full-time

Pros

The company has gone through some ups and downs over the years and when the last version of the company ended it was during a major downward spiral. Our paycheques were often late and people were leaving or getting let go pretty much every week. Decisions made by senior management had crippled the business well before the bankruptcy and we never recovered. After the company reinvented itself or as the other... review mentioned, a restructure occurred and it "was a giant failure". Now if a giant failure means paycheques come on time, company moral is much better, employee retention is much higher, zero debt after a full year as pretty much a new company and the ability to attract a larger company and be acquired by that company, then please I would like to take part in more failed restructures. New vs Old - Overtime is no longer expected and often, it is rare - We are getting free lunches again - We have cleaners that clean the building not employees - Work life is much happier and better all around

Cons

- Parties are not as fun - Company is much smaller so less people to talk to - Current location has less food choices then our old location

Advice to Management

The company still has some work to do but management is now steering us on a path the seems more achievable and will more likely help our future growth. Hopefully the mistakes of the past will not be repeated.

Fuel Industries2018-10-18
  7. "Foot in the Door"

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice People, neat projects, fun.

Cons

Optional (coerced) unpaid overtime to get projects done. Low salary for job, reliant on starry-eyed recent students. Managers usually hired from outside of the company.

Fuel Industries2018-09-04

"A rebuttal to post titled "Great while it lasted.""

Former Employee - Developer in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

(Please read the post "Great while it lasted.", dated 27 Aug, 2018, before continuing.) "...they left..." >>> Everybody left because paychecks were consistently late and everybody had bills to pay, regardless of talent. "...no vision to support the creative leadership" >>> "Google: Translate BS" >>> "why can't everyone just work unpaid overtime all the time to meet unrealistic... timelines while being denied the use of a lot of off-the-shelf technical resources?". "...hard to find talent in Ottawa" >>> I can't argue with this point. The singular leadership needed to guide such large and varied teams of highly-qualified professionals across many disciplines was sorely lacking. "...once the founders left, there was no talent and no culture" >>> "Google: Translate BS" >>> "...after the CEO was forced out, an investor saved what talent and resources that remained to try again, hopefully treating it more like business and less like someone's personal playground". *Someone* thinks the founders were the sole source from which all talent and culture flowed!? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Cons

Who on Earth could possibly "Approve of (clearly referring to the previous, ousted) CEO" and write this shameless drivel?

Advice to Management

Ignore the Grumpy McGrumpyFace who wrote that previous post. Keep the name. Learn from the past. Do better. Good luck!

Fuel Industries2018-08-28

"Great while it lasted."

Former Employee - Art Director in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing creative leadership and the delivery team to match, but they left along with any talent that supported them.

Cons

A lot of the back office and operational team had no vision to support the creative leadership and vision. A lot of unqualified people promoted and brought in - hard to find that talent in Ottawa. Restructure was a giant failure. Once the founders left, theres no culture and no talent. Just a name and a lot of awards won by other people.

Advice to Management

change the name, it's not Fuel anymore.

Fuel Industries2018-08-27

"Good people, not well run"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Fuel Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people Lots of smart people Interesting work Good location

Cons

Management does not know what their doing Poor decisions led to massive layoffs Lots of power struggle

Advice to Management

Clean up the dead weight, figure out a game plan and stop wasting money on stuff that doesn't go anywhere.

Fuel Industries2018-04-09