FreshBooks Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Aug 6, 2017

Found 5 of over 136 reviews

4.0
FreshBooks CEO Don Epperson
Don Epperson
Pros
  • "Good learning experience, great culture(in 10 reviews)

• "Great people, top talents - one team culture/ mindset(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains, mantaining a small startup vibe when you are nearing 250 employees is hard(in 5 reviews)

• "The open office layout isn't for everyone(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Tech

182 Comments

Tech

35.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=FreshBooks~413709
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fun place to learn and grow

Aug 6, 2017 - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

As someone who is looking to break into the tech industry, this is a great place. There is a lot going on and I am constantly busy. The tech stack is pretty modern and the office has dogs. The people are the best - I really mean it. The company prides itself on having a strong culture and I think there are some obvious improvements to be made, but overall people seem very happy to come to work. Management is very transparent, employees are aware of current numbers and investment and they try to keep everyone informed.

Cons

The perks aren't as great as some other companies (Shopify, Flipp, PagerDuty, etc) but I think that will come with growth. Lunches only provided one day a week. Struggling to go from the start up mentality into a full-blown "company", there are some growing pains.

3 people found this review helpful

FreshBooks Response

We truly appreciate this feedback! We believe in hiring FreshBookers from a diverse array of experiences (not just tech!) because we all bring something unique to the table. So glad you feel informed and connected to the performance of FreshBooks - we're in this together. We'd love to hear your ideas regarding our culture and perks. Hope you had the opportunity to include your thoughts in our annual employee census survey a few weeks ago - regardless, we'd encourage you to share them with either your manager or with the HR team directly. Please come see us!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A fantastic workplace

Apr 6, 2016 - Support in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- An amazing culture, great colleagues - Transparency - Very competitive compensation and perks - A company that believes in its people, a CEO that is human, approachable and caring - Growth and development opportunities

Cons

- Growing pains, mantaining a small startup vibe when you are nearing 250 employees is hard - Adjustment to growing demands can be slow at times

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

FreshBooks is a rocketship staffed by brilliant and wonderful people.

Jan 7, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

EMPLOYEE CULTURE - FreshBooks has done an incredible job of hiring and retaining people who are friendly and warm. There are kind people here who work hard and play hard, and genuinely love being around each other. This has created a culture that makes it easy for new hires to fit in and make friends. - Ask any employee to describe the culture, and you are almost guaranteed to hear them use the word 'fun,' which also happens to be one of the company's values. From annual summer retreats and holiday parties to regular in-office celebrations and activities, FreshBooks ensures there is always something just around the bend for us to look forward to. - Perks include: company-ordered lunches, on-site gym and exercise classes, dog- and kid-friendly environment, video games, a ping pong table, educational budget, and healthy living credit. CAREER OPPORTUNITY - Employees regularly organize learning and training sessions for each other and themselves. - There is a lot of opportunity here for people to demonstrate their drive, ambition, and talents. Successes are generally recognized (though perhaps more so in certain departments and job functions). - I am constantly surrounded by ambitious, competent, and smart people who have a ton to offer. I learn a lot by simply listening to their insights, and they are receptive of feedback and different perspectives as well.

Cons

- We are feeling some growing pains as we are in the process of scaling fairly quickly. Not atypical of a company in this position. - As is generally the case with any company with more than two employees, there is an underlying wave of competition as some employees work to outshine others. Sometimes, the behaviours are acceptable. At other times, bordering on intolerable. - Lack of recognition for employees whose work does not contribute directly to numbers.

5 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Oct 23, 2014 - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Fun environment - Friendly and everybody is heard - Teams have a fair amount of autonomy - Always trying to better their process in the tech side and always open for suggestions - Opportunity to move between positions if you are interested

Cons

- Some growing pains are happening as the company transforms from small startup to a small/medium sized company. - Work-life balance can be a little off sometimes, but you don't have to commit extra time. A lot of people just do it because they're proud of their work.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

Apr 20, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

People who work here are second to none. Great work-life balance and a strong team and corporate culture. The company will often bring in lunch, have company parties, and host various events for its employees.

Cons

There has been some recent changes to the executive team and other growing pains; however, this is not uncommon for a company that is growing at a high pace.

2 people found this review helpful