Fraunhofer Gesellschaft Employee Reviews about "german"

Updated May 2, 2020

4.1
Fraunhofer Gesellschaft President Reimund Neugebauer
Reimund Neugebauer
Pros
Cons
  • "working language is only german(in 16 reviews)

• "low salary compensated by an meaningful worklife(in 15 reviews)

Reviews about "german"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Student Research Assistant in Munich, Bavaria

I have been working at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people, flexible working hours

Cons

working language is only german

2. "Avoid Fraunhofer CCD at all costs"

1.0
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid back and super easy job. Requires no real thinking or experience. Otherwise nothing. You might get some interesting experience but often its useless.

Cons

My comments are specifically in regard to Fraunhofer CCD at MSU I can't speak for other components of the company. To begin you will be paid little to nothing for the amount of work, responsibility, and expectation demanded of you. The work is by no means difficult, but there can be a lot of it, and the over bearing German oligarchy of management in the office leaves no room for exceptions. The senior german 'engineers' have full control and say of office policies, projects, and your hours (no overtime pay). A lot of these decisions/conversations happen behind closed doors with no input from you or other coworkers. I also made a point to say 'engineers' because most of these leaders have little to no knowledge of what is actually going on or are very arrogant in their methods. These 'engineers' are condescending, rude, and often don't even help solve issues and rather just aim to belittle you. Several of them use the fact that they are bilingual to slander other employees in front of them or behind your back. I often had other employees who were german speakers coming up to me and telling me of things they were saying about me, or I would catch them myself and have to confront them. This was a consistent occurrence until my leaving of the office. Trying to just complete your work alongside many of these individuals results in aggravating loops and circles you have to run. Management lives by the idea that its their way or the highway and their intelligence caps off at a point where they will argue in circles with you about projects without understanding constraints/requirements. Organization is completely askew here and it shows right away. Projects are left on standby for months only to be picked up by some new under experienced intern who begins taking over and making changes until they leave 6 months later and it returns to standby. Projects continued for two years with no real progress and only regression because anyone who knew what had to be done had left the company and left no documentation. Not to mention how unprofessional everyone in the office was. Several employees would wear the same clothing for days in a row week after week with visible stains on them. The dress was casual which is fine but when meeting with customers and your gut is hanging out or your shirt is so faded from being over used its quite ridiculous. There is no real business development and cohesiveness within the company. Which can be assumed seeing how most of the changes are made by 5 individuals who don't share that information with anyone below them. They try very hard to market and make themselves appear as cutting edge or industry leaders but simply put they are falling behind and are running out of projects to earn any profit. But don't let their marketing department hear that because they are more delusional than the people that thing working there is worthwhile to themselves or their career. There is no room for growth here unless you want to become one of the ignorant management leaders of the group. Everything is so political, stagnant, and slow here that you won't see changes helping move you along in your career. You get experience but its usefulness doesn't translate elsewhere. And you will never see a pay raise. Fraunhofer USA CCD does not care about American Engineers. They do not care about interns. They do not care about making business improvements. To be honest I think they only care about having their German counterparts in Munich think things are going well. Once individuals reach upper management level they immediately lose touch and begin to hurt everyone below them. Everyone is so underpaid its ridiculous that they get away with it.

Continue reading
  3. "Nice workplace and stimulating projects"

Current Intern - FE Modeling in Bremerhaven

I have been working at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft

Pros

Nice colleagues and management and exciting insight into technology

Cons

Sometimes it is not easy to get into a conversation if you don't speak German

4. "Great for interns (IZI)"

Current Intern - Intern in Leipzig

I have been working at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft for less than a year

Pros

- Well equipped lab - Intreresting research topics - (depends here but for me) good boss; patient and prepared supervisor - you understand what a researcher life is, maybe not directly but you experience in some way grant writing, paper publishing, not working experiments, problem solving... - flexible hours - gym and courses available for free - very welcoming to other cultures/nationalities/religions

Cons

- As an intern, you are not payed - You could not fit in as much if you don't speak German

5. "Good environment"

Current Employee - Studentische Hilfskraft in Dortmund

I have been working at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft part-time

Pros

Best research institute in Germany

Cons

Working language is mostly German.

6. "The welcoming and warm Frunhofer"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Freiburg im Breisgau

I have been working at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a great warm place, the people that already work there are very accepting and you work in an international environment, There are a lot of extra curricular activities that take place in different buildings or even after work which help you become a part of the team more easily.

Cons

Some of the meetings are held fully in German so unless you have a decent knowledge of it, it is hard to keep up.

7. "Researcher"

2.0
    Former Contractor - Researcher in Freiburg im Breisgau
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft for more than 3 years

Pros

- Very good work-life balance. - Good salary for entry level position. - Few competition for entry level positions

Cons

- It is not an international institute. Whatever you are told during the interview, knowledge of English is not enough. - Numerous and endless meetings. - If you are not German forget career opportunities and professional growth.

"Fraunhofer IZI"

1.0
    Current Employee - Scientific Assistant in Leipzig

I have been working at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft part-time for more than a year

Pros

New, modern and nicely made building, with very well planned rooms, offices and public areas (gym, mensa, etc.).

Cons

Very out-of-date way of working and communicating. Place with only German speakers, emails, meetings and company events are in German (although there were positions opened in English without requirement of speaking German). Very low level of science in many groups, group leaders in fields without any experience. Lack of flexibility and open discussion on many levels. Very slow way of working.

Continue reading
  9. "Interdisciplines, working with a lot of people from different background"

4.0
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft

Pros

It's an environment that if you have ideas then you can do it and everyone would praise your contribution.

Cons

German is necessary. For a foreigner, it not easy to stay.

10. "Guest Scientist"

I worked at Fraunhofer Gesellschaft

Pros

Excellent work culture, flexible working hours, good salary

Cons

Sometimes monotonous job, getting along with German colleagues is a bit difficult but they are always willing to help

Found 16 reviews