Flipp "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Flipp Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Nov 22, 2019

3.3
Flipp Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer Wehuns Tan
Wehuns Tan
Pros
  • "Very flexible in terms of Work From Home policies(in 19 reviews)

• "Amazing Culture (lots of company events and everyone wants to be team first)(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "No work/life balance - the culture is filled with hypocrisy(in 15 reviews)

• "Each mistake or new product that didn't do as well as expected means senior management will yell at employees accusing them of under-performing(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great culture and amazing team in a not so close location"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Etobicoke, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture of the company and the people they hire are great. Lots of snacks and free lunch, as well as social events. It feels awesome to work in a place with good challenges, but it feels even better when you notice you have a lot of great people with amazing skills putting effort into these challenges. Definitely the best work experience I ever had.

Cons

The only con I can think about at this point is the location of the office, which is in Etobicoke, meaning a long commute for many people.

Advice to Management

Continue the great work on being transparent with your team.

Flipp2019-11-21

"A lot of changing, shifting... wild ride"

Current Employee - Creative

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people work here. They are awesome and direct team members are supportive, easy to communicate with, always hands on deck team-attitude (this is true of 90% of teams at Flipp). Great benefits, decent payroll standards, used to have VERY fun summer and winter trips to Muskoka/Blue Mountain etc... awesome events planned out throughout the years. Very flexible in terms of Work From Home policies.

Cons

Where do I even start... A lot of things have been shifting for a while now. There is no priority set on certain teams right now, and lots of false hope is instilled in us in terms of vision and future opportunities of growth for most. Be cautious of this company - management pivots and changes their mind way too often, there is lots of miscommunication amongst management and different departments. There was a recent mass lay-off in the company, and people are waking up to just how much has changed in such a little amount of time. For people that have been here for a long time, it is a bit disappointing, but priorities are changing and you have to keep up or else this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your company (this is happening more now); You're not going to please everyone. Stand true in your vision and objectives, and the people who want to be along for the ride will stand by you. The rest will find something more suitable for them in their career path.

Flipp2019-11-22

"Great place to work"

I worked at Flipp full-time

Pros

- great company culture, great people - interesting and exciting work - opportunities for growth and development - competitive salary and excellent benefits

Cons

- while not a startup anymore, they are still developing and refining their long term plan in a changing marketplace

Flipp2018-01-25

"Data Scientist"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Flipp

Pros

A welcoming atmosphere filled with great people

Cons

Can't really think of any!

Flipp2017-09-23

"Senior Management is Stuck"

I worked at Flipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great people - Great environment - Awesome office

Cons

- CEO is all over the place, and will without a doubt, at some point, yell at you at the top of his lungs because he doesn't understand something. - Execs are in roles that have outgrown their skillset - Dev team focus is constantly shifted - Agile doesn't live at Flipp. Agile is about iterating naturally - NOT about having an end goal in mind and then estimating how many "sprints" to get there. LOL.

Advice to Management

Grow up.

Flipp2017-11-14

"Great Company to work at"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time for less than a year

Pros

great people, great environment, lots of perks and snacks, free metropass, amazing health and dental plan options

Cons

A little far to downtown Toronto.

Flipp2017-08-24

"Ranks in the top 5 tech companies in Toronto"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great people. Flipp has some of the nicest people I've ever encountered at a workplace. Everyone is extremely friendly, willing to help, and coworkers often hang out outside of work. - Transparent and open culture. Information is freely available and everyone is encouraged to give their opinions. - As a developer, the compensation is definitely above industry standard in Canada - Great opportunity to work on products that actually affect millions of people every day - Work from home whenever you want, no questions asked. - Company's prospects look good for the foreseeable future. - Free lunch on Fridays. Great health plan. Office toys and other misc perks.

Cons

- Flipp moves fast ... sometimes a little too fast. Sudden and drastic shifts in strategy are not uncommon, so don't be surprised if something that is mission-critical suddenly becomes less important the next day - Depending on your specific department, things can get hectic at times, especially around Black Friday.

Advice to Management

Slow down from time-to-time and get buy-in/feedback on strategy from senior team members before cascading information to the entire organization.

Flipp2017-08-05

"Great product, management lacking"

Ontario in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp

Pros

Great people who will feel like family Strong potential for the product and company Excellent benefits Awesome company events Good opportunity for junior people to progress in their career

Cons

No work life balance in most departments - it starts to seem normal to feel panicky if you cant check your phone for an hour. Be prepared to answer emails at all hours of the day and night The executive team lacks experience - many are very bad people managers and some have no experience in some of the business areas they manage. Decisions are made almost entirely by the CEO and others dont have autonomy to run their teams as they see fit. Some teams are a high priority to the CEO and others are not. It very quickly becomes clear which one you are. Those that are a priority are under an enormous amount of pressure. Those that aren't are largely ignored and a lot of their work goes unnoticed. Sometimes their work is never even used. The company says that everyone gets excellent training and mentorship, but this is only true on a couple of the more established teams. Most people are left to their own devices, or they are being managed by someone who doesn't know that business area and can't help them. CEO has, on occasion, said rude or insulting things to people who have disagreed with him.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to learn to let go of some of the day to day, and to be more respectful. You've got a great product and a ton of potential - don't ruin it with weak leadership. Give people the autonomy and freedom to run their departments, and hold them accountable if they can't.

Flipp2016-11-15

"Awesome Co-Op Experience!"

Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp

Pros

- Great people - Learned lots - Amazing overall experience

Cons

- Hard to think of a con to Flipp

Flipp2016-06-05

"Some Real Truth To These Bad Reviews"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, nice office, plentiful amount of free snacks, great benefits but...

Cons

So I had the chance to read some of these bad reviews and at first I wondered if there was any truth to them. I am no longer wondering. I was a witness to an executive shaming another employee in front of a crowd. It was not nice nor was it called for! The situation should have been dealt with in a more professional manner considering this person was considered upper management. Coaches/managers/execs/team leads speak so highly about the culture of this company but yet set poor examples for others to follow. I'm also starting to feel lost as I've been given very little guidance and training. It's not a matter of expecting to be hand the entire way but I do expect tools to point me to the right direction which at this point I've been given very little. Been putting in crazy hours but was told to work harder. Starting to seriously question if this is the right place for me.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach!! Set positive examples for your employees that you yourself can follow. It's crazy that you don't have an HR department for a company your size!

Flipp2016-01-19