Flight Centre Travel Group Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Jun 14, 2020

3.4
Flight Centre Travel Group CEO Graham "Skroo" Turner
Graham "Skroo" Turner
Pros
  • "Unlimited annual leave, lots of travel, work hard play hard(in 60 reviews)

• "Employee benefits ranging from health and wellbeing support to financial advice and travel perks(in 56 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Lots of good perks but have to want it"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Perks and incentives and recognition, awards etc.

Cons

Sometimes long hours and work off clock.

September 30, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. As with all current employee reviews, we will take on board your constructive feedback.

2. "Once a great employer"

Current Employee - Travel Agent
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Encourage their employees to travel Great experience to learn to run your own business. You meet a lot of great like minded people. Incentive trips for sales

Cons

The core values that is the base of Flight Centre's philosophies are no more and haven't been for awhile. Number one is supposed to be "Our People." After working with the company for the better part of a decade, I have seen the change and employees are now no more than a number and treated as such. Long hours with unpaid overtime if you want to meet targets. Systems lag and crash repeatedly. Mandatory unpaid buzz and social nights - although these have decreased since the class action lawsuit.

3. "flight centre"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Manager

Pros

money is good if you get lucky with a busy store

Cons

long hours, no work/life balance. hard to earn high numbers and super high earners are rare.

4. "High School Mentality"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Calgary, AB
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Travel knowledge + travel opportunities if you can afford, fun team atmosphere, hardcore office work gives you multiple skills to put on your resume

Cons

Long hours, No accountability to actually do your job, quiet locations don't give you access to enough clients to hit your targets and earn a decent living, tons of favoritism, constant changes in strategy and high turnover is confusing and demoralizing

September 30, 2019

5. "Needs Major improvement"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training! fun environment if you are young and have no young family of your own

Cons

No work life balance, very long hours and unrealistic sales goals. You are only as good as your last month.

July 8, 2019Marketing Manager - People & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience working with us.

6. "Selling your soul."

Former Employee - International Travel Consultant in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Travel perks (FAM) -Benefits -Career opportunities and growth

Cons

-When you first start, there is a lot to know and mistakes are costly ( literally) -Working long hours with a low salary -Sitting at a desk all day -Inconsistency of expectations -Micromanaging -Marking up clients constantly because commission from suppliers are way too low. Unless you're selling business class every day to everyone, than goodluck with not marking up. And if you get caught, you have to come up with excuses for the 'extra amounts' -Damage control- if something goes wrong there goes half of your day trying to resolve it and being put 'on hold'.

7. "Travel agent"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group

Pros

Fun work place, good training

Cons

Long hours, no work balance

November 19, 2018Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to give a balanced review of your experience working at Flight Centre. We wish you the best with your future and hope that our paths may cross again some time.

8. "Good Company, Strong Future"

4.0
    Current Employee - International Travel Consultant in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you put the time and effort in to building your client base, you can make some really decent money in commission. The people who stick around make a great family.

Cons

Long hours, especially during the higher (winter) season. Having to explain to customers who just utilised your time and expertise why I have a job "what with the internet" pretty much daily is a little tiresome. Very little room for advancement if you don't want to uproot your family and move to Toronto or Vancouver.

9. "Review"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

fun crazy exciting interesting rewarding

Cons

hectic long hours slave to customers

November 20, 2018Recruitment Coordinator

10. "Get ready to mark up"

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Team Environment, annual gala, buzz nights

Cons

poor commission from suppliers means you have to charge customers more to earn money. Have to work from home or long hours at the store to be profitable.

Found 162 reviews