First West Credit Union Reviews

3.7
First West Credit Union CEO Launi Skinner
Launi Skinner
Pros
Cons
  • "No one likes to take responsibility for decisions and they keep passing the buck(in 3 reviews)

• "The members didn't even get a chance to vote on our last two mergers (which were a huge mistake financially, btw)(in 3 reviews)

"Terrific place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Shared Services

I have been working at First West Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at First West, I feel that the organization places value on how well their employees feel supported and fulfilled. I've worked at a number of other places that weren't as aware or considerate of both individual and team needs. The work is challenging (it's work after all), but in my experience there is always support when needed and asked for. Plus, a bonus day off every year is a terrific perk!

Cons

There's is no challenge so significant worth mentioning. I recommend First West to people who like to work in an agile way and are excited to grow and chance with a progressive-thinking organization.

First West Credit Union Response

Thank you for sharing your experience at First West! We're happy to read that you feel supported, rewarded, and that you appreciate our forward-thinking plans for the future.

"shocked"

1.0
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at First West Credit Union full-time

Pros

People are good to work with Communities

Cons

Blindsided by layoffs and closure of five branches Teams are unsettled Ongoing financial pressures

First West Credit Union Response

We’re glad that you enjoy working with your colleagues at First West Credit Union, and we know that change can be difficult. As a member-owned cooperative, every decision we make is in the best interest of our members, collectively. Our priority will always be to ensure that the financial strength their credit union has today is safeguarded and maintained for generations to come, enabling us to continue giving back profits to our communities, including communities where we may not have a physical branch. As our members continue to change how they access our services – making fewer in-branch visits at some locations, and increasingly choosing to use our online and telephone-based services – we’ll continue changing how we work in order to best meet their needs. What will never change is our commitment to cooperative values and to giving back in our communities. We encourage you to reach out to leaders in the credit union if you have unaddressed concerns.

"Best Credit Union in BC"

Current Employee - Director in Duncan, BC

I have been working at First West Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great if your wealth focussed or in sales

Cons

going through a big transformation

First West Credit Union Response

Wow, thanks for the tremendous support and encouragement. We're sure that together we'll continue to take those courageous steps on behalf of our members and clients.

"Growing Financial Institution"

Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at First West Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growth Mindset Member First Attitude Performance driven Co workers are friendly and supportive Great pay and benefits Strong Leadership Team at the C suite. Gives back to communities through charities. Encourages employees to volunteer on company time. Adapting to the banking transformation rapidly in the digital world.

Cons

Work load can be heavy sometimes as the credit union is in a growth mode.

First West Credit Union Response

We're thrilled to receive your feedback and to see that you're thriving during such a busy time in our industry. Thank for taking the time to write - and we agree that all our employees can lead us to even more great things for members and the communities we serve!

"OK if you can handle the pressure"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Langley, BC

I have been working at First West Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are great, most of the people are great

Cons

No one likes to take responsibility for decisions and they keep passing the buck. IT is so slow and overworked. Documentation is very lacking for many processes. Upper management is too busy creating strategies and not actually looking at what the managers below are doing or not doing. Another place where there are many meetings but little action. Changes that are made are good, but most of them changes are for the new customers and not for the staff that is suffering in the background.

First West Credit Union Response

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts about adapting to change in our industry - and glad to know you support the innovation that helps members have the best banking resources. We're evolving as well, and appreciate that it's our team members (like you) who make everything come together. We hope you will also share your suggestions and experiences with your Performance Leader and via our employee feedback and outreach within First West. Thanks for being part of our team!

6. "good place to work to gain valuable experience"

Current Employee - MSA

I have been working at First West Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

lots of opportunity to move around and try new roles when moving lateral positions-same pay level, good benefits

Cons

hard to move up, too many changes all at once, struggling to find identity as a credit union that is either technology focused and fresh or "keeping it simple" as their tag line says

First West Credit Union Response

It's great to read that you've enjoyed exploring lots of career opportunities with us at First West! If you've settled on a path, we hope you'll talk with your Performance Advisor to put a plan for advancement and training together. As we grow, doors will continue to open for our employees - and we encourage you to provide feedback to your Leaders for any suggestions you have!

7. "Currently under Organizational Restructure"

Former Employee - Commercial Banking Advisor in Victoria, BC

I worked at First West Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people at First West have been very supportive and continue to be long term friends.

Cons

Restructuring of the organization might prove to be difficult for most.

First West Credit Union Response

From People Services at First West: thanks for mentioning the camaraderie you found working at First West! We're glad to hear it. And hopefully as our organization evolves our employees will continue to make new, valuable connections with colleagues across all our divisions.

8. "Company believes in it's teams"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Mill Bay, BC

I have been working at First West Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Busy, highly organized, efficient team

Cons

Technology is inconsistent and can cause stress

First West Credit Union Response

From People Services at First West: thanks for dropping us a rating! We're glad to read you appreciate the efficiencies that keep First West running smoothly. Technology is an area we're always implementing improvements as new applications and practices become available. Thanks for letting us know how important this is for you!

9. "Fabulous culture, innovative and forward thinking"

5.0
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist

I have been working at First West Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

companies ability to think outside of the box

Cons

still mastering the concept of remote work environments

First West Credit Union Response

From People Services at First West: we're glad to read that you like our ability to be innovative! Including offering many of our employees the opportunity to work remotely. Like any new concept, we're finding the best strategies, and we appreciate that you're here to share your experiences!

10. "Unsupported"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Insurance Advisor in Princeton, BC

I worked at First West Credit Union part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Loved my job,created alot for this company

Cons

Poor Management!! No communication, talk about you behind your back not to your face.poor team environment. All about numbers .Never about good job always about do better be more.I worked for many years for this company and feel unheard and not valued!! Used to be a great place to work and I worked hard to build this company. They offer a trip every year for best performers but numbers are rigged to make manager look good..so un ethical!! Saw it for several years confronted it with my manager and was repremanded in my year end review..cant say how you feel!! When two senior employees go from high rating to low. Why is HR not asking what's going on...no support from senior management or HR ..they just listen to their managers..they dont value their employees although they say they do.I worked for 18 years there..never heard from one manager why I was leaving!!

First West Credit Union Response

From People Services at First West: we appreciate that you were part of the team that helped First West grow. Sometimes progress brings changes that do not suit everyone, but that doesn't lessen the value you brought to our story. There are times when we focus on helping employees stay abreast of and contribute to our business goals, and we seek ways to recognize and reward individuals and teams for their achievements in those areas (in ways that are suited to their role). Our people services team is often gathering information from employees, and your comments are shared with them.

Found 55 reviews