First Utility Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

First Utility CEO Colin Crooks
Colin Crooks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No sick or Maternity / Paternity pay" (in 14 reviews)

• "The only drawback is car parking" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Modern Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Modern, relaxed working environment.
    Use of current and emerging technologies.
    Research days to explore emerging technologies and keep knowledge up to date.
    Guilds for knowledge sharing.

Cons

Not much of a training budget, so self-learning is encouraged.

"Excellent place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexibly (Ability to work from home and start/finish times)
    - Base Salary is Competitive
    - Research days - to go and find out about new tools and start a conversation internally
    - Software department culture: cohesive, collaborative, friendly, and fast paced and strong agile delivery philosophy .
    - Innovative approaches with technology to new business needs with good open conversation with business stakeholders.
    - Excellent place to learn and develop.
    - I have found the high street stores discounts very useful (saved a few quid)
    - Fruity Friday (Free fruit on a Friday)
    - Management (In the Core Platform / Business Technology Group) is some of the best I have worked with. Clear communication - right from the start. Set clear expectations. Always happy to help remove blockers without mic

Cons

- Rest of benefits package (Pension, Maternity / Paternity etc)
    - Communication of long term vision (hopefully to be address in up coming company day)
    - Canteen lacks choice and is expensive
    - Facilities team are more often blockers than facilitators, for example booking rooms is like a game of roulette. Which leads to loss of efficiency and effectiveness.

Advice to Management

I can imagine quite difficult problems to solve, but have a look at Pensions and Maternity / Paternity.

3. "I was rather shocked at the training."

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for quite a few companies in the past, however I've never been employed somewhere where employee care and training is such a priority. It's quite surreal. Thanks

Cons

I can't really think of a con, my tenure at first utility hasn't been that long.

4. "Great atmosphere."

Current Employee - Broadband Digital in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Broadband Digital in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've yet to find any faults in the company, the office is well equipped and great company values.

Cons

If anything traffic could be better but this can't be helped!

5. "customer service advisor - home move team"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- welcoming
    - working with a great team
    - everyone is helpful
    - being new into the company - everyone has made me feel comfortable and helped me settle in well

Cons

- so far I cant state anything that I find negative. so good so far.

6. "First Utility Awesome Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Customer Service Adviser - Retentions/Imbound in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

amazing training system and support, awesome vibe and atmosphere - i love how open, bright and positive the environment is here at First Utility Coventry and how you can express yourself as an individual here.

Cons

no downsides to the business at the moment, i have thoroughly enjoyed my time so far - i have been here 4 weeks (still in training) and i have been made to feel very welcome, supported and positive about coming to work here everyday!

Advice to Management

To ensure there are enough training facilities in academy available for every training group when they are moving to academy!

"Good company, need to brush up on employee retention"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, great work/life balance, flexible working

Cons

Not enough cross training opportunities, not enough training altogether. Benefits are the bare minimum, no maternity/paternity pay, lowest pension contributions that are a must. Although it's a nice to have, in my opinion fruity Fridays and voucher schemes are not really a benefit.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more, and help their progression within the business.

8. "Culture, friends, mentors and more"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in development has always been - for me - a struggle to work in a place where the team work together, teach and learn from each other and with no elitism.

Culture

You are constantly encouraged to better yourself as an engineer from your team mates, leads, principles and above. Since being here my skill's have improved further as well as my knowledge and as a person. With the introduction of internal user groups for certain tech and presentations you can watch or give, the culture is a breath of fresh air.

Team mates

There is a lot of knowledge which is shared without any issues. Everyone is there to help whenever they can, from software engineers and up.

Tools

The world of web development is a fast paced and constantly changing, given the chance to explore with research days allows your knowledge to grow and the products we write then benefit. Our tool set is constantly growing.

Cons

Only one I can think of is to have a better pension contribution, but that is clutching at straws!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and culture you provide to allow me/us to enjoy work so much!

9. "The Life At First Utility"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Advisor Home Movers in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Advisor Home Movers in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great atmosphere
    - Friendly, approachable working environment
    - So much opportunity to develop and gain experience in multiple areas whether that be Sales, Customer Service, Billing, Test Analysis, Business Analysis, Product. Myself personally receive so much opportunity to develop my skills purely from showing willingness to learn and the capability of the ability I possess.
    - Great Channel Manager and Team Manager support
    - Great to build communication and networking skills.
    - Overall a fab company to work for.

Cons

- Staff tariff could still do with some improvements.
    - Whilst opportunity comes in great amounts. Interview prep is not. Helping individuals face the interview environment would be a great help. I have a an extensive PDP but due to having OCD, fail at the interview stage due to not being able to articulate myself in the false environment.

Advice to Management

Keep excelling and improving. I've seen great work and development in the three years I've worked here.

First Utility Response

12 Apr, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your comment with us, I really appreciate it. We want everyone to succeed at First Utility and have a really wide range and growing number of opportunities to offer. I am sure... More

"They just want positive reviews- a discriminatory member of staff- bias from HR-the great cover-up by a senior employee"

Former Employee - Customer First Adviser in Coventry, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer First Adviser in Coventry, England (UK)

I worked at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Initially, everything was going well and the training was fantastic. The 4 members of Staff were amazing and they let me perform my prayers during the 4 of 5 week training period.

However, my group was meant to be given full 5 weeks of training, as that was part of the scheduled training programme. But we were only given 4 weeks of training.

Whilst the other group were given full 5 weeks and my group was told by the discriminatory member of staff 'that you don't need training' not only is this a clear deviation from the required training programme but also preventing one to carry out their role adequately.

Even though, a Senior Member of Staff, he clearly said to my group that 'you all still have 1 final week of training which is on the floor'

We were told by the discriminatory member of staff that 'help' will be given by the floor walkers, but it was my group who had to walk the floor to get our customer queries resolved. The female floorwalkers were always helpful but the male floorwalkers were lazy and laid back.

However, when the time for prayer commenced, the discriminatory member of staff prevented me from going to my prayers and stated that 'you can't go mate, regardless'.

Even though I explained to him that, previously I've been permitted to go for my prayers by the other 4 members of staff. Therefore, I don't understand what's his problem?

He responded that 'the rules here are different (even though it's still the same company) we can't have the entire row of people (pointing at the row in front) go for prayers'.

I responded that the likelihood of that row going for prayers is very unlikely due to most being non-Muslim.

I raised a grievance with HR but it was sugar coated by an obnoxious member of staff from HR as an 'issue of miscommunication' rather than religious discrimination.

(The member of staff from HR wasn't impartial, if he was, it would've resulted in him acting contrary to his contract, which requires one to 'act in the best interest of the Company' regardless of anything else.)

However, thereafter, I was permitted to go for my prayers, but 20 days before my probationary review meeting, I was told by the discriminatory member of staff that my probation is going to be extended.

(Even though I was above target for my stats and I was never absent, as well as providing him with 21 customer accounts, whereby customers said that I've been helpful.)

I spoke to a senior member of staff and he advised that 'it's your manager's job to gear you towards passing your probation and not failing it. Also, he needs a legitimate reason to extend your probation, not an illegitimate one.'

Thereafter, I was constantly being micromanaged and having unnecessary 'coaching sessions' where the discriminatory team manager was using it as an opportunity to bully and harass me.

I raised a grievance with HR but it was disregarded by a member of staff from HR and he told me that (the discriminatory member of staff) 'is a professional who wouldn't do that'.

Not only is the above response inadequate, it doesn't negate the discriminatory member of staff's inappropriate behavior, nor does it justify extending my probation, 20 days before my probation review meeting.

But I came to realise that the points raised in the grievance, were mentioned to the discriminatory member of staff via chat, by a member of staff from HR and those were the points that the discriminatory member of staff was now 'coincidentally' trying to now focus on so he can save himself.

Eg I was told by the discriminatory member of staff that he'll give me coaching for Nelly questions.

But I wasn't given a single coaching session and when I raised it with him he ignored it and when I raised a grievance about it, he stated that 'his password wasn't working and that's why he couldn't have the session'.

I spoke to a Senior Member of Staff but she was not being impartial and was protecting the discriminatory member of staffs behaviour, as she was dependant on his team's stats.

Therefore, she let me 'resign with immediate effect' at my 'discretion without force' so everything could be covered up by her. She said that 'she'll look into my concerns and it'll have no bearing on my reference'

We left the room and she decided to converse with me about resigning, so the people on the 'floor' cannot know why I'm actually leaving

(Religious discrimination, bullying attitude, an extension of my probation 20 days before review meeting)

She didn't have the decency to walk me from my desk to out of the building, as she didn't want others to see or know about the true nature of her cover-up.

Also, rather than discipline the discriminatory member of staff, she promoted him to a different department so a lid is placed on everything.

Lastly, another team member within my team, she left before me and I don't blame her, as I can see why she left.

Pros:

-was never discriminated by the 4 members of staff during training
    -was permitted to perform my prayers
    -met good people throughout
    -helpful floorwalkers (some, not all)
    -others from HR are generally helpful and approachable

Cons

-discriminatory member of staff
    -A bias member of staff from HR who is subjective and not objective
    -constantly micromanaged
    -Treated as a number, not as a person
    -I was never off sick, but if you do get sick you'll not get sick pay
    -You're required to arrive 10-15 mins early each day, which is 50 minutes-1 hour 15mins per week. It's unpaid
    -I left without another job as it was that bad
    -It didn't apply to me, but you can't start a family, due to poor maternity and paternity pay
    -basic pension
    -Read the customer reviews about the company and some of its employees
    -Gossipy & nosey/ busybody culture within departments

Advice to Management

It falls on deaf ears; therefore it's advised that one stays well clear. As it's only a matter of time until you start to experience the same inadequate, unprofessional experience from a senior colleague and the bias from a member of staff in HR. (Check the other review ‘Get out while you can!’)

However, I would advise potential employees that you work for an employer who is impartial, just and not discriminatory.

Advice to the member of staff from HR is that he should continue selectively making use of the English language and words, to negate any concerns raised and covering up for the inappropriate discriminatory behavior of a senior employee or any other senior employee for that matter. As well as not discipline those who act contrary to legislation and the Company values.