First Utility Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
First Utility CEO Ian McCaig
Ian McCaig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • High paced, modern working environment with some excellent leaders (in 15 reviews)

• Fast Paced - all working towards a clear vision given by CEO and Execs but with the freedom on how to get there (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No sick or Maternity / Paternity pay (in 9 reviews)

• The only drawback is car parking (in 13 reviews)

1. "A great career choice for me"

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy, pace, freedom to make a difference.

I enjoy change, and new challenges. There is so much opportunity for this here, and I like that each day is different.

Great facilities, on-site canteen, informal coffee station, bright airy work spaces.
    Agile working - work on a different desk and with different people every day.
    Work from home 1 - 2 days per week.
    Great colleagues, who above anything care about creating something amazing.
    All of these things matter to me.

Since I've worked at First Utility I've been offered some fantastic development opportunities. I've secured a stretch role which I have developed into. I've had formal external training, and gained qualifications. I've had the freedom to get involved in many different projects and on the job learning. I've joined the company mentoring programme, and have been fortunate to learn a lot from this.

The company has allowed me the opportunity to go to external networking events, and also I have now become a mentor for 2 employees internally and 1 externally.

Cons

The environment is not corporate, so if you like established systems and processes this might not be the right fit for you.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to have a better strategy cascade from the top down.
    I realise that there has been one, but it has only filtered as far as the senior management level. I'm not sure this is very helpful when looking to keep your teams moving in one direction, and engaged.

The finance department's processes are like something from the dark ages, and do not support the pace at which we like to operate in other areas. Filling out forms and scanning them in after getting signatures from Exec level members, for small amounts of money feels unnecessary and bureaucratic. I think we should trust our senior managers to do the right thing, and operate within their budgets.
    We trust them with running large areas of our business - I think purchasing some paperclips within budget might not go as wrong as you think it will!

Like many reviewers before me, I would also advise a review of our benefits package overall (however I do realise there is only so much money in the pot).

2. "Room for progression"

Current Employee - Digital Customer Services Executive in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people are great here I've made some really good friends
    - There is plenty of support when it's needed and the training is also good
    - If you work hard within this company you can progress
    - The canteen is pretty decent although people moan, it's also very cheap
    - Overall happy place to work

Cons

- The car park
    - Benefits / perks

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Digital Services Manager in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Digital Services Manager in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Positive environment to work
    - Supportive staff
    - Friendly faces
    - Opportunities to develop your skills
    - Great facilities

Cons

- Communication/interaction between teams in the contact centre can be better to build lasting relationships.

Advice to Management

- To listen more to the advisors who are closest to our customers when shaping future decisions as this can be instrumental to the success of our business. In essence taking away a top--down approach. This will also drive engagement and will make colleagues feel their opinion is valued.

5. "Decent"

Current Employee - Digital Service Executive in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Digital Service Executive in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are class, development opportunities are there if you take your job seriously, lots of overtime potential, interesting future for the business. Wage isn't too bad.

The takeover from Shell looks to offer good expansion going forward.

Cons

Employee benefits - it's hard to see a serious long term career being built where there's such a poor pension (government minimum legal requirements), no maternity/paternity pay nor sick pay. No bonus' for either personal performance nor company performance. All we can seem to offer our employees in recruitment is free fruit on a Friday and some very minor discounts off some shops e.g. 4% off Tesco.

Employee retention - The turnover of staff seems to be very high, although I don't know the actual %. We're losing very good staff in all areas of the business, potentially for the above reasons?

Advice to Management

The cons that I mention make it feel like this company can only be a stepping stone, as I know I can't work here if/when I have a child and if I want to take my pension seriously I'd need to look elsewhere in the coming years.

Ideally I don't want to leave, as I am developing well and want the company to be successful but can't gamble on my future. Please put serious consideration into retaining staff, with what some see as basic employee benefits.

6. "Just 1 major issue to be fixed and this could be an amazing place to work."

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First Utility is growing company and there is some very good people here, including many members of management.

Progression, like anywhere, is self driven. Progession will not just land on your desk. If your pro-activaly seek it, then First Utility does have the tools to help you progress.

Salary is fairly competitive.

Cons

The giant elephant in the room here will always be benifits.

One thing everyone looks for when building a long term career is security. Will the company look after me if I should become sick or start a family? no. This leads to alot of good people leaving the business to find a career elsewhere that offers a modern benifits package and you cannot blame them. Its a shame because I have seen so much talent leave the business, not because of the job, because the company inability to protect its staff with a security package in place. I am also very surprised this has not been addressed with the investment of Shell incoming. or maybe it will be?

Advice to Management

Address the benifits packages as first perks is simply does not work. 5% off at Asda does not make up for losing £90 a day if you are too ill to work.

People drag themselves to work when they are sick and pass the viruses around like wildfire now we are all crammed in to the one office, it only makes the business less productive.

If the benifits issue is fixed, then this company would be a 5 star company to work for, and one to be proud to work for.

"Great job, however...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have no faults with my team. Extremely helpful & always there whenever there’s that one difficult situation. The team leader always gives feedback on how I should perform better which I always take on board.

Cons

I have two illnesses on where I am unable to walk long distances & facilities won’t adapt to my needs. They are incapable of knowing what a disability is & because of this I have to suffer. The operations manger isn’t very staff friendly & instead of showing staff the right way of doing the job he’d rather humiliate you & make you feel small. You are unable to progress here & instead of moving up the ladder you can only move sideways.

Advice to Management

Look into helping your staff progress better, many good staff have left this employment because you’ve failed them.

13 Feb, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm really pleased to hear you mention how helpful and supportive your team are. It's also great to hear your positive feedback on your manager's... More

8. "New Start New Beginnings"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast moving, engaging environment whereby the team is very welcoming.

Cons

Other than contact centre roles, Induction last a morning with no further arrangements in place by line manager as an enabler. Further meetings arranged by myself.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of new starters to roles in wider business, ensuring a plan of induction is in place at least..

23 Jan, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your 5-star review. Fantastic to hear your first impressions have been the engaging and welcoming environment we're proud of. Inductions for volume roles in customer services... More

"Great Company"

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly environment - very vibrant and welcoming
    - Managers treat you like an equal and take good care of you
    - Team leaders are willing to coach you to ensure you improve your performance or increase your productivity to a higher level

Cons

- Depending on your job role - you have to do shift patterns
    - You don't get sick pay for the first few days which is a shame

Advice to Management

- As long as team managers work in the best interest of there employees, the better the company will become :)
    - Give employees better maternity/paternity pay
    - Give employees sick pay to start when they call in sick

23 Jan, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts. I'm pleased you mentioned our friendly, bright and vibrant environment as that's something may of our colleagues agree on. It's also great to hear you... More

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at First Utility full-time

Pros

Open to new technology. Nice people to work with.

Cons

Benefits are at a minimal level.

23 Jan, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review and the title as a summary of your thoughts. We're really proud that our people feature high on the list of pros for our colleagues who share their thoughts. We offer... More

11. "Customer First Advisor"

Current Employee - Customer First Advisor in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Employee Perks
    Good salary for the work

Cons

Company promotes career progression but seems to be mostly sideways movement

Advice to Management

More praise and recognition for employees when performing

23 Jan, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for your review as you're starting your career journey with us. It's great to hear you're enjoying the perks so far! We encourage open communication, especially with your manager and... More