First Utility Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
First Utility CEO Ian McCaig
Ian McCaig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relaxed working environment and pleasant office space (in 11 reviews)

• Fast Paced - all working towards a clear vision given by CEO and Execs but with the freedom on how to get there (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The only drawback is car parking (in 12 reviews)

• Pay structure & Lack of maternity pay (in 12 reviews)

1. "Nice friendly and flexible environment to work within."

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible
    Understanding
    Care for employee needs.
    Great progression opportunities

Cons

Canteen needs improvement because it takes too long to queue up in morning for breakfast when there are only a few people in there. Also sometimes facilities could be a little more understanding when you raise a request to them.

Advice to Management

Continue to ensure that you listen to your employee needs and be as flexible as possible.

2. "Employment in First Utility"

I have been working at First Utility full-time

Pros

From day one I found the whole workplace environment to be friendly and welcoming through all levels of the organisation. Over recent months a number of opportunities have arisen which have allowed me to develop my career giving me targets and goals for further development in the future.

Cons

Having been with the organisation for over 3 years there are no real cons that affect the way in which I work.

3. "Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Light, bright and vibrant atmosphere, with excellent facilities including onsite restaurant. Drinks supplied all day and free fruit Friday an added bonus.

Cons

There aren't any worth mentioning.

10 Oct, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Great feedback, thank you very much. It's nice to read your comments about our light, bright and vibrant atmosphere. We're investing a lot of time and attention in makng where we work a great... More

5. "First Utility is one of the most amazing places to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Servce in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Servce in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary is amzing
    Progression within the business
    The friendly team
    The friendly managers

Cons

Shift rotation, not suitable for anyone with kids

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing because we love it First Utility is one of the most amazing places to work for, Since joining the business i have not only gaines experience but I have also gained a lot of friends. Everyone in the business is very friendly and the team managers are very supportive. I enjoy working for First Utility.

6. "A good opportunity but some frustrations"

I worked at First Utility (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at First Utility in a variety of roles for around 2 years

There is a good atmosphere within the company - you feel like you make a difference
    Management is good and very engaging to all staff
    Social aspect is good - team meals provided and people are welcoming

Cons

Communication between departments is poor
    Software systems are poorly functioning and problems aren't communicated to staff and in turn bad advice is given to customers
    Promotions seem to be personally biased - too much politicking
    Departments are too competitive with each other. Us and them mentality.

Advice to Management

Overhaul of systems is absolutely vital. Almost all issues within the company lead back to poor software. This isn't helped by lack of transparency between departments.

7. "Shambles"

I have been working at First Utility full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, good working hours

Cons

No progression opportunities, weak managers with favourites within every team, no thanks or praise, repetitive work, constant unstability

10 Oct, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hello and thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback. Firstly, I am sorry to hear that you believe career progression opportunities are limited because the reality is very different: as a... More

8. "Lost its way and will continue to lose knowledgeable staff"

Former Employee - Resolution in Coveney, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Resolution in Coveney, England (UK)

I worked at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back work environment if you are back office
    Great colleagues
    Fruit Fridays
    Relaxed work attire

Cons

Slow Computers - Desktops need an upgrade for anyone that has to have 2 screens, with multiple systems and tabs open.

Very poor management that constantly changes. Upper Mangers leave to competitors and get replaced by people that have not yet proven themselves in their current role or do not have the skill set to move up but get promoted anyway.

People doing well in their current roles are over looked for promotion because managers know they will struggle to replace that person or it would take too long to train someone else up to their level to do their role.

No help pursing your PDP unless your manager is happy to help you progress (most will offer little guidance due to the above point I made)

Stupid rules for different teams or departments;
    Food - Some teams can eat at their desks others can only eat snacks, some are allowed to eat hot food others are not, no consistency on what can and can not be eaten and no guidance from HR or employee handbook.

Lateness/Sickness - No consistency, managers give late forms to some people and not others. Sick pay is paid sometimes but not others and before you respond that as a business you do not pay sick pay, stop lying to your staff as I know you do pay sick pay as I have been paid for sick leave on 2 occasions and yet people that have to go into hospital to have an operation do not get it.

No annual pay rise if you have move departments despite the annual review being performance related. Work all year on your kips and reps get great scores and feedback but no pay rise as you have moved from 1st to 2nd line or Tech to metering etc. Why cant annual salary reviews just be based on your performance?

Different salaries for the same job - In one team in the resolution centre there was a salary difference of 6k for some people doing the same role.

Starting salary for 1st line is competitive with other similar telephone based customer service roles but these salaries are not competitive for complex resolution issues, case management and other back office roles. Stop telling us they are competitive.

In my 3 years I have seen many people leave the business but it now seems to be a daily occurrence and this is up an down the pay scale, Surely you as a business must be able to see that something is going seriously wrong. If the business continues on the route it is now I week very sorry for my colleague over the next few years and would urge them to get out as soon as possible. The way the UK energy market is going I do not see FU being around in 5 years time.

The business do not seem to be concerned that they are losing the most knowledge people within the business to other business like the Financial Ombudsman, Barclays, Extra Energy, Economy Energy, Eon etc

Very poor benefits - Pointless Pension, Pointless Perks, Pointless Staff Tariff

Office location makes it difficult to get to work & the parking is rubbish

Advice to Management

Look at some of the leading companies and how they treat their staff. Richard Branson and Virgin's stance towards their employees and the benefits and progression they offer are a perfect example that has lead to record staff retention levels and a happy workforce. Companies like Virgin & Google are a key example of how a business should treat their staff and FU would be a much better place to work if they started looking at the employee experience instead of being happy to have a revolving door of people coming and going all of the time with skill set and knowledge being lost daily. I've now left the business as I was fed up of over performing in my role and getting little or no recognition. No pay rise since joining the business despite strongly demonstrating all kips and reps areas. Very poor pension (something as I'm now in my 30's I am finding a key benefit)
    No fair, consistent sick pay or lateness policy.

I don't know what to advise to sort all these problems, I seriously think its too late and that they have lost all of the decent managers and most of the decent staff and it is now left with the rubbish and will continue on a downward spiral. I do hope I am wrong though, if only for the few amazing colleagues I know that still work there.

9. "Fantastic people, nice work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at First Utility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Friendly and professional work colleagues
    - Empower employees to execute initiatives
    - Comfy and relaxed work environment
    - cares about employees when making business decisions

Cons

- Average pay and benefits
    - lack of team building activities
    - car parking chaos

Advice to Management

- Offer / increase pay and benefits to retain talent employees
    - Organize cross-departments team building activities

2 Oct, 2017 – Chief People Officer

It's great to read your comments about the friendly and professional colleagues we have at First Utility and that everyone is encouraged to take accountability to deliver the best service for our... More

"Promises much, delivers little"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

#Fairly steady income
    #Nice office (that we are moving out of)
    #Nice working environment

Cons

# Lack of a pay rise
    #Poor career development
    # No room to develop new skills/training
    #None existant Mat/Pat pay
    #New positions are filled before or without being advertised / interviewed for
    #Severe lack of cross department communication
    #No benefits / bonus
    #Lack of parking spaces

Advice to Management

There are a few major issues. I along with most of my team have never had adequate training for the roles that we do. A large part of this stems from the fact that departments do not speak to each other. There are so many tools that could make my job a lot easier which I don't have access to and for reasons unexplained am not given training on. It just seems to be excuse after excuse.

Issues with pay as well, yes starting wage for most roles is competitive but swapping roles isn't some people are held to a 10% only increase on their current role with other people being given what they want. (a friend of mine got a 25% increase, where as I got 10%). Which is one of the many inconsistencies that come from HR.

Not to mention the fact in another team a member of staff has been made the new manager of the team without the role being advertised or interviewed for. There are many cases of if you face doesn't fit you won't have any support or help to progress and most managers have their 'favorites' but I believe this was a step too far.

The lack of good progression routes, wage increases, bonus scheme or Maternity or Paternity pay have meant I have seen many good colleagues leave the business.

12 Oct, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience. I won't be able to do justice to all your comments but, if I may, I will respond to the key points raised. Firstly, in terms of job training we ask... More

"Great Company But A Long Way To Go...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility (Less than a year)

Pros

The people - Like most work places the people around the office are one of a kind. With working within a range of departments I've been lucky to be able to get to know a wider range of staff.

My role - it offers flexibility and a great salary.

We are innovative and are always creating new ways to help our customers and employees.

Soon to be the new car park and building updates, although our work place is already bright, vibrant and exciting we are going through even more changes to make it an even more comfortable and exciting place to work.

Cons

A big one on here for me is mat and pat pay, the reason being it limits my time of working within the organisation. Although I wish to stay and take advantage of their opportunities I cannot.

Advice to Management

Look at the talent you have within your business and utilise it more, bring in agent to *whatever role* programmes, use their skills and even degrees to help better the company.

We are losing those who follow our REPs day in day out to higher pay and to progression. Instead of asking for reviews and feedback week in week out you need to do something about it.