Financial Ombudsman Service Ombudsman Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Financial Ombudsman Service Ombudsman Manager Reviews

Updated Aug 4, 2019

Found 3 reviews

3.3
Financial Ombudsman Service CEO  Caroline Wayman  (no image)
Caroline Wayman

"Time for the Phoenix to combust...."

Current Employee - Ombudsman Manager

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

There are a huge amount of positive things about working at FOS. I've chosen to stay for the culture; the people; the variety of work; the job satisfaction; the challenges; the work/life balance, and so on. But my review today is with the sole purpose of highlighting one huge con.

Cons

Phoenix. Phoenix, the new operating system that has been years in the making, is simply ruining any enjoyment anyone (who works live cases) had for their job. It was delayed repeatedly because it wasn't fit for purpose. And I just don't think it's fit for purpose now. Taking aside those that have been tasked with Phoenix propaganda, you'd be hard pushed to find someone who thinks their working life has been improved by its arrival. Businesses are finding us to be slower (and are actually asking us if we're alright); consumers are telling us they don't have time to set up cases because it takes so long; our investigators are doing anything they can to avoid having to set up new cases; people are refusing overtime that involves Phoenix because it's just too painful to contend with. It's hugely counterintuitive and we're going to miss really important things; like spotting when something has gone wrong on a case. We're also seemingly sending emails into a black hole. And the issues aren't being publicised because there's only so much negative internal press Phoenix can take. The list goes on and on. There's support, there's training, there are floor-walkers.... everyone is doing their best to force this bird-shaped peg into a Clipper-shaped hole. Our organisation has had an issue with morale... let's not pretend the reviews for the past two years haven't happened. Do you know what would be the biggest morale boost right now? Binning Phoenix. We talk about how it's our prerogative to change our minds right up until a final decision goes out. Well.... no final decision has gone out here. We can unwind this. I really debated whether there was a better forum for voicing this. But, given the amount of money that's been spent, I don't think the organisation would take too kindly to little old me voicing my opinions in a polite email. If there are benefits that I haven't seen yet, fine. I'll keep trying to use it anyway and maybe they'll one day become apparent. But your best people aren't happy. The most positive and hardworking investigators aren't happy. The money has been spent but don't make it cost even more by losing them.

Financial Ombudsman Service2019-08-04

"Be careful what you wish for"

Current Employee - Ombudsman Manager in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The usual told by previous staff

Cons

I assume the previous entry was in relation to the 2 Executives announced as leaving in the new year. What we need to know is why is it that it's these 2 people going? Why has the Mrs CEO deemed these to be disposable? Anybody working at the organisation would know neither are bullies which seems to be a large focus on staff comments on this site. With these 2 gone how will it benefit us? You have 2 reasonable and people focused people going , leaving - at best unprofessional and at worst vindictive - Execs left to contend with. That means any voices of reason have been removed from the executive meetings where staff pay, appraisals,benefits etc are decided. I don't know about you but that doesn't strike me as a win for staff. I too have a low opinion of our 'strategic leaders', but it needs to be the right Executives moving on, I don't think this has happened. Mrs CEO has reduced the Exec team hoping the treasury select committee will get off her back. It's a short sighted action by a short sighted CEO. Untill the board or FCA remove her nothing will change. The only credit I would give her is that there is definitely not a boys club at the very top , the women ( I am told they socialise out of work , as I don't know them I can't vouch for this however) always have the casting vote as they stick together. if true that's not helping the womens movement, its the worst positive discrimination there is.

Financial Ombudsman Service2018-11-30

"Optimism is wearing thin..."

Current Employee - Ombudsman Manager in London, England

Pros

There were a great many of benefits until a couple of years ago - but slowly they are being lost and only a few remain: - Good location - Good benefits - Friendly and genuine colleagues

Cons

No work environment is perfect, but the recent restructure which is ongoing accounts for many of the downsides of the organisation. There's still a considerable lack of clarity around what it means moving forward, but the current negatives are: - A very demotivated environment - Unrealistic workload expectations for new structure roles - A lack of flexibility and work life balance (which was previously one of the greatest benefits) - A relatively uncompetitive salary structure with bottle necks in progression and pay stagnation (after some early opportunity when you first join from externally) - limited focus on technical training which will restrict personal development and transferrable skills.

Financial Ombudsman Service2017-02-01