Favor Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Jag Bath

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • flexible schedule and the job is fun (in 25 reviews)

• Good part time job with flexible hours (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • must use your own vehicle with no reimbursement for gas or wear and tear (in 11 reviews)

• you're expected to accept orders for the full time of your shift, and to finish your orders- my shifts regularly go 30 minutes over (in 6 reviews)

1. "A great opportunity for students or those who want to make extra money to supplement another job"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in San Antonio, TX (US)

Pros

-Flexible scheduling.
    -Intuitive interface for deliveries.

Cons

-Scheduling hours becomes hard during breaks from school.
    -Base pay for scheduled hours a bit low.
    -You have to really figure out the areas and times where you can make the most money.

Advice to Management

-Raise Minimum Base Hourly Rate for Scheduled Hours

"Runner"

I have been working at Favor part-time

Pros

- make your own schedule and ability to easily alter it
    - ease of job
    - learn the area and its popular restaurants

Cons

- no benefits
    - must use your own vehicle with no reimbursement for gas or wear and tear
    - awkward encounters with restaurant personal due to not tipping on the orders

"Great SIDE job for young people using beater cars."

Current Employee - Runner in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Favor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will earn the most when you are UPFRONT WITH RUNNER SUPPORT and let them know when you think another runner would perform the delivery more efficiently, and if you communicate with the customer in confusing situations. I have never officially scheduled myself but the service is always busy and I have orders usually in seconds. I've been able to maintain a 4.9+ star rating since the beginning because I make it a point to complete my deliveries in a very timely fashion, and I enjoy it because I organize my trip and complete the procedural steps when there is free time in the delivery. You should also have a fuel efficient vehicle. I generate about 15-25 dollars an hour and my deliveries usually take about half an hour and a quarter mile of gas.

Cons

Overlapping orders may be stressful and communicating reassignments is hard during a drive. Lack of tipping creates a serious tension between runners and restaurants. Traffic is terrible and college kids usually give you the most time consuming orders in the most complicated complexes with the cheapest tip. Sorry not sorry but wealthier areas are generally the smarter starter points.

Advice to Management

Offer more intuitive controls for runners in the app. Assign less overlapping orders in Austin due to traffic and parking difficulities.

5. "Favor Runner"

Former Employee - Runner in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Runner in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Favor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company and I liked the ops people who I reported to

Cons

Weird hours, sometimes the delivery time was unrealistic

Advice to Management

Increasing compensation for runners even a little would go a long way

6. "Driver"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Favor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Easy going management (very responsive support team who understand that sometimes things get crazy on a non-stop shift), decent pay

Cons

wear and tear on your car, no chance of upward mobility

Advice to Management

So far management has been the definition of cool. I have no complaints

7. "Runner"

I have been working at Favor part-time

Pros

Great community, everyone works together to help improve company reputation and status

Cons

Sometimes hard to get hours

8. "Part Time Independent Contractor"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Favor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, easy to pick up hours, easy job to do, fun to meet and talk to people

Cons

wear and tear on your vehicle, have to itemize deductions on taxes

9. "Just not worth it"

Current Employee - Runner in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Favor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

schedule your own hours
    paid every 3days depending on your bank

Cons

There are so many downsides that has progressed since I started so I will list as many as possible. I've completed almost 3000 runs 4.9 rating and achieved at one time as a runner with the most compliments from customers.

~They took away the $5 credit you would get if it was a new customer you delivered to.
    ~If the weather or if it is just crazy busy affects favor running orders they may upcharge the customer delivery price. For instance. Lets say its raining really bad for quite awhile and orders get backed up. They will increase the delivery fee from $6 to $12 or whatever. They use to give you what you would normally get for the favor fee plus whatever extra they charged for delivery. In this case 2.10 + 6. Now you only get 35 percent of whatever delivery charge they charge the customer. You have no way of knowing if the order you are delivering to is a increase $ to you till after you complete it. So you get to do all the extra hard work in completing the favor order and favor gets it. One thing which is recent is they do a $1 or $3 promo every day. These orders will never ever get extra charged but you still get the same pay as $6 delivery order. All that extra work for hardly anything anymore.
    ~They charge $1 to $3 delivery which is especially awesome in 2017. The downside is college kids tend to order from those places or people with hardly any money. These people tend to tip $2 most of the time. So your 35min to 1hour spent is only being paid out $4.10.
    ~Algorithm talk now. The algorithm assigns orders 90 percent of the time. Otherwise they will manually assign an order to you or move to another even without asking to move the order. Trust me I've been doing this for over a year and it has not gotten much better in how it assigns orders. It use to assign orders to people closer to store. Not anymore. Let's say you get an order and you are over 8 miles to restaurant. The customer is over 8 miles from store. You will get these orders quite often. You can ask to move any order you want honestly but if you do too much they will kick you off the schedule to where you will very seldom get orders and to where you will make very little money. They may or may not give you a warning not to move any more orders you do not want to take. They will just remove you from schedule and hope you go away. There is no way to avoid punishment by checking any stats.
    ~Favor will remove you from schedule and also to where you will not receive orders normally as if you were clocking in off schedule if their system recognizes you as not accepting orders. For example. Let's say you clock in from your house in zone where you can receive orders. (they teach you in orientation you can do this btw) You finish getting ready. You drive towards into a busy zone but you are not getting any orders because usually there tends to be so many runners they hire that orders are not coming in fast enough. They will remove you from schedule and make it to where you do not receive orders hardly as even if you were on the schedule. In hopes you will just go away. They recently purged a lot of runners that lived on outskirts of zone for doing this even though they have been teaching to do it ever since favor started. Some were warned in a vague email, others not.
    ~The wear and tear on your vehicle is insane. Let's say you decide to do this full time. Expect to put 150-200 miles per day. The current algorithm sends you far places most of the time.
    ~Risking working so many hours/miles in your own vehicle and getting into a wreck. Getting a boot on your vehicle and paying $150 to get removed.
    ~Dealing with rude restaurant workers. None of the servers really like Favor when you order for a customer. The servers don't receive a tip. I could tell so many stories on how rude they are towards you. This will affect you getting your orders done timely. Therefore affecting tips. There is no way to hide you are with favor. Some will hang up on you calling in orders. Some will put you on hold forever. Trust me, this relationship between restaurant servers and runners is horrible.
    ~unpaid tips. About as often as once per week you will not get paid for a order you complete. This happens if they can't charge the customer cc. They use to(years) till just recently not pay you at all for the time you spent to complete the order. They will now give you $2 tip if it is a fraud order or they can't charge the customer. They say they will keep trying to charge customer and if they can get a higher tip for you but good luck on ever seeing that or being able to track unpaid easily.
    ~getting support to answer emails takes a few days
    ~They can change any rule at any time and either decide to tell you or not. You are not an employee.
    ~Many customers will abuse favor. Some will order a long list of HEB items. You will take 1-2 hours to complete and they will tip $2. Or better yet carry 6-9 bags of laundry weighing many pounds in your truck/car. There are many customers that abuse favor and wastes your time. Favor is a bit deceiving. They would charge $8 for raising canes delivery. They tell the customer it is harder for runners to complete orders from raising canes. I'm sorry but it really isn't. It's fast food. They have 4items or so on their menu. Yet they charge chik f let next door $3 delivery.
    ~many of the orders you receive have incorrect addresses of customer or restaurant in app. If you sometimes use the mapping with the app or address, it will be wrong sometimes. The customer probably used locate me instead of inputting address. They really haven't totally fixed it. You will waste gas and miles on vehicle. Most of the time the customer phone number is wrong in order because it's hard for them to fix it because of the app.
    ~The customers you deliver to have your phone number and some will hit on you and text message you the next day or whenever. Some will be very hostile in rare cases. Most are just creeps though.
    ~Many restaurants are starting to charge hidden fees just for favor. Such as grat fees or to go fees, favor fees only for 3rd party such as favor. Favor deceives the customer by not telling them this. The customer is unaware till already paid.
    ~Even as a customer you can see the some of the horrible experiences. Runners not using warming bags because they are not required to. Runners not communicating or switching to different runners all the time because they don't feel they will make a good tip. If you order and it switches different runners many times that's why most of the time. The whole customer service as whole has been declining.
    ~no compensation from gas/mileage
    ~support can be helpful sometimes, then othertimes not so helpful. I once asked to be put on hold not to receive orders for a few minutes to go to the bathroom. They would not do it. I actually had to sit on the toilet arguing with the mod to move orders.
    ~Job security. They can easily just pack bags and stop the business like they did in the other markets in other states. Even without warning. All the runners that were scheduled in other markets were told day of they were no longer staying in these markets and that they didn't have a job anymore.

10. "Runner- Dallas"

I worked at Favor part-time

Pros

Make your own schedule. Runner support is okay.

Cons

The company is run by idiot millennial libtards who are drowning in mediocrity. They don’t care about customers or runners. They are perfectly fine with poor customer service.

Driving 25-40 miles away for one delivery to make $4.

The management team are completely devoid of commen sense.

Advice to Management

Close down the company or hire older better managers that didn’t grow up with participation trophies.
    You should take pride in your company and strive to provide the highest quality and most efficient service for both runners and customers.

"Overall poor experience at Favor HQ"

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Favor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Frequent meals, company-wide events, relaxed atmosphere, diverse employee base.

Cons

The only place I've ever worked where mediocrity was encouraged. If you're one of the people who is good at your job you'll be expected to carry others on your back. I was constantly told that I couldn't use my accrued time-off due to the fact that my department was constantly understaffed (even though others used theirs - I'm not even sure that that's legal???). Never got to use the accrued time, they refused to pay it out once I resigned. Terrible experience, mid-level management is a joke and senior managers are un-bothered and constantly out of the office, on vacation, or in the office playing drinking games and ignoring everyone else. Don't expect a promotion unless you are actively brown nosing. If you're actually talented/smart don't waste your time. If you love cat GIFs, avoiding urgent matters, and being a social justice warrior while on the clock this might be the place for you.

The pay is okay at best. Don't expect a raise or promotion for good performance. Lots of people with made-up job titles doing nothing, someone should really take a magnifying glass to this place.

Advice to Management

Instead of pretending to do better, actually do better.