FM Global Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Thomas A. Lawson

"Senior Engineering Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and travel across Canada

Cons

Company too structured - no creativity in approach

Advice to Management

More leeway for engineers

FM Global2016-03-10

"Admin"

I have been working at FM Global full-time

Pros

Great working environment, schedules and amazing benefits.

Cons

Very secretive and a lack of communication between employees as well as between management. Getting in or advancing in the company tends to be more about who you know rather than what you know.

FM Global2016-01-09

"Client Processing"

Client Processing Specialist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FM Global

Pros

Great People, Great Manager, Use a lot of excel.

Cons

workload is too much, underpay, not too many team event.

FM Global2015-06-10

"Great Stable Career"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at FM Global full-time

Pros

Hard work is rewarded in the long term Always learning something new Stable career which grows over time Above average benefit package Engineers are well respected within the company Diversity of work force and is a global company so you get expsoure to different ethnicities

Cons

Short term compensation Work life balance skews the wrong way when you are good but that isn;t always rewarded or recognized

Advice to Management

Higher differentiation of salary increases Be accessible to the everyday employee not just senior management in each operation

FM Global2014-06-26

"Account Manager"

Anonymous

I have been working at FM Global for more than 8 years

Pros

Great company to work for - you can believe in what you do.

Cons

Better compensation available almost anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Find a way to retain good people.

FM Global2014-04-27

"All around a good job in a very stable and well established company"

Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- working from home - independence - flexible schedule - amazing benefits - considerable improvement in compensation over the last few years to keep up with the competition - opportunities to see the country, see a variety of commercial and industrial facilities and meet a lot of cool people - amazing training program - very interesting work, no two days are the same

Cons

- lots of turnover in the office and field - constant changes in reporting requirements, internal processes, etc. when they aren't always needed - inconsistencies from manager to manager, office to office, etc. with promotions, starting salary, raises, experience, report review, etc. - some engineers do a consistently poor job and seem to get away with it - report writing can be tedious at times and a grind,... especially when they have to be reviewed for a variety of reasons. - at times recommendations for the clients can be unrealistic to complete and seem to have an affect on our credibility

Advice to Management

- try to keep more talented engineers in the field before they move on to office jobs because it seems like management pushes the more talented engineers to account engineering, account management, etc. field engineering drives the company and needs to be done right day in and day out. account engineers should have a more in-depth knowledge of the field engineering role, especially in higher challenge occupancies... - keep improving the compensations for engineers - trust engineers more and give them more latitude to use judgement without having to get approval from management.

FM Global2014-03-31

"Great company, great job but not for everyone."

Field Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FM Global

Pros

After many years in the manufacturing sector I elected to take a job opportunity at FM Global as a Field Engineer. Technical training is second to none; no expense is spared in preparing employees for work as a Field Engineer. Working from home offers great flexibility, but personal discipline is required to ensure the required work is done in timely manner. As an engineer the world is your oyster at FM Global. The... majority of senior management are engineers, most of which started out in the Field Engineering role. There are numerous opportunities to advance to Underwriting, Claims, Client Service / Account Management and Account Engineering. Also, as a Field Engineer, FM Global pays for your home office (telephone, internet, monitor, printer, etc. provided).

Cons

Generally speaking my experience at FM Global has been very positive. However, that sentiment is not shared by many of my co-workers. In my experience engineers usually do not make very good managers. There are of course exceptions to this, as I've witnessed both at FM Global and at previous employers. There are several Group Managers and based on discussions with my coworkers their aptitude ranges from very good... right down to not so good. I firmly believe that some of this is due to the inexperience of the new hires. Most are fresh from University and not surprisingly don't have the aptitude in the "real world". That being said, I have heard many stories of managers lacking compassion or sense, often putting corporate dogma ahead of employee's wellbeing.

Advice to Management

If FM Global is a large building, Field Engineers are without a doubt its foundation. The company's livelihood depends on their performance and likewise their happiness.

FM Global2011-07-26

"FM Global"

in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FM Global

Pros

Great stable company to work for. Training is second to none. Competitive overall compensation package. Great location if you live north of the city. Lots of opportunity to move within the organization.

Cons

Not downtown where most of our clients and competition are located. Base salary is less than competition.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate office location. Ensure individuals in management make good managers and not just proficient in their previous positions

FM Global2010-01-19

"FM Global field engineering."

Field Engineer

I have been working at FM Global

Pros

You're continually learning new things. Once you have grasped one concept they will introduce you to something else. The compensation packages are quite respectable in this day and age.

Cons

The learning curve is very steep and doesn't let up for quite some time. They provide support for learning new things, however due to the vast amount of knowledge within the company it is impossible to support people in individual ways. They send you out the door and you essentially sink or swim. You can go quite some time without actually doing the job as they might expect you to do it without even really knowing.

Advice to Management

Provide better feedback to the employees with regards to how they are doing. Both relative to others in a similar position and with respect to our expectations.

FM Global2009-05-09

"Great company to work with"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at FM Global full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked in both the "Operations" and Corporate Office of FM Global, hence this review is broken up in two parts. As a Consultant Engineer in the SE Operation I give FM Global 5 stars. Management was amazing. It truly felt like a family even though I worked remote. The work/life balance was super! I could arrange my week whatever way I liked (i.e. I would choose which days to visit clients and which days to work... from my home office), workload was well balanced hence I did not have to work long hours (beyond your typical 8hrs/day ) or on weekends unless I slacked, and management would trust me to manage my work as long as I met my objectives. I was able to book vacation/PTO by just placing it on my Outlook calendar without the need for management approval, which was a big positive since it added to the flexibility. There was also opportunity for travels within and outside the US and a great company retreat every so often. FM Global really cares for their employees and makes great investments for the training of their Consultant Engineers. The base pay was average but the overall package was very good. The environment was fun especially when you get to meet different clients, from different industries, and work on client projects representing FM Global. Working in the corporate office was quite different. I give it 3 starts. There was less “play” and more focus on work. The level of care and appreciation towards employees in the corporate office was not the same as in the operations. On the other hand, it was an environment that allowed the opportunity for tremendous learning and growth. Management really cared about passing on their knowledge and providing if one is open to the opportunity. What I loved was also the open door policy.

Cons

See my comments above.

Advice to Management

I know management cares. I would advise more compassion between Corporate and the Operations so that they can truly understand each other’s needs and objectives. One without the other would be dysfunctional.

FM Global2019-11-09