FDM Group "account managers" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

FDM Group Employee Reviews about "account managers"

Updated Feb 19, 2020

3.2
FDM Group CEO, Founder, and Director Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell
Pros
  • "One thing that is certain is that FDM is a gateway to blue chip companies(in 90 reviews)

• "The opportunity presented to the dedicated trainees is by far the biggest positive of the graduate programme(in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • "Account Managers do not know anything technical but they make the decision or look for jobs where you gonna work for the next 2 years(in 165 reviews)

• "You're placed on a strict 2 year contract and the two years don't start until you are placed with your employer(in 81 reviews)

Reviews about "account managers"

Return to all Reviews

"Application Support"

Applications Support Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FDM Group for less than a year

Pros

-amazing work culture. everyone is young, full of energy and motivated -the training and trainers are amazing, and know their stuff inside out -the account managers work very hard to find and prepare you for roles

Cons

-the payment during training could be higher, but since you havent been placed yet, its understandable that it isnt

FDM Group2016-09-08
  2. "Waste of time, but decent money short term"

Former Employee - Software Tester in Toronto, ON

I worked at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Crazy account managers selling you like a piece of meat

Cons

Everything. The recruiter asked me before joining if I wanted to be a developer or a tester. I told her whichever is easier to get a job and she replied with “both are fine, you should pick whichever you prefer more”. So here I am, making a lazy decision to go with the testing route - with a Computer Science degree in my hand already. Fast forward 3 months later after training, I still struggle with finding a job in testing and I see every developer getting hired around me. Mind you, I try to prove to them that I am capable of developing but the account managers already stuck a label on me forever in this company. I finally get a job at company X for a manual testing position and quickly decide to leave. I plot my way through and basically forced them to fire me so I wouldn’t pay the 30,000 dollar contract. Mind you, this was a very frustrating process with everyone asking for an explanation.

FDM Group2020-02-04
  3. "Avoid it if you can"

Former Employee - Big Data Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good opportunity to work with big clients.

Cons

Account Managers do not know anything technical but they make the decision or look for jobs where you gonna work for the next 2 years They sell their training as an award-winning one, but there are some trainers who have little experience in their fields.

FDM Group2020-02-19

"DO NOT JOIN FDM"

Former Employee - Java Trainee in Toronto, ON

I worked at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

some basic training in the IT field, a chance to work for a big bank

Cons

- Low pay - I met many smart people at FDM and they get forced into roles like support engineer or quality engineer when they didn't apply for them - You are a product to FDM, you aren't even considered an 'employee' until you are onsite - The second you get on the bad side of an account manager you will not get anymore roles - The training is not great, you can learn everything on your own in 2 weeks - They take advantages of new grads - There are never any pure development roles. Most jobs are using very niche technologies that you will never find job postings for - They will fire you without reason

FDM Group2019-10-19

"AVOID"

Current Contractor - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FDM Group for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros to joining this agency

Cons

The account managers are rude, they will ignore you if they decide that you do not fit their requirements, and they will attempt to force you to do jobs that you do not want to do in order to pad their own pockets. For example, they will deceive you into doing jobs like technical support if you want jobs related to data science.

FDM Group2019-10-02

"FDM should be your last resort. Long review inbound:"

Current Contractor - DevOps Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FDM Group for more than a year

Pros

Easy acceptance: FDM's standards are relatively low for hiring. They have a simple phone interview followed by a group interview of 8-15 applicants. They are looking more for interpersonal skills than technical skills. Training: They train you to be prepared for the client workplace. If you have a computer related degree then most or all of the material will be review for you. They will teach you some additional basics of working in an enterprise environment, tailored for their large financial sector clientele. They will also train you for how to be effective in interviews. They get you a job: Their business model is to hire new grads as consultants, brush up their workplace skills, and contract them out to their clients (primarily the large Canadian banks). They have a team dedicated to getting interviews for consultants. You will have no problem getting interviews. Especially if you are in the development steam, you will have no problems landing a position. Many of the placements hire FDM with the intent to hire the consultant full-time with the company once the 2 year contract is up. Health care coverage: Honestly, their Manulife plan isn't bad. You have to pay like 30$ bi-weekly for your first year but they cover the second year. The plan covers basic dental, 200$ on glasses, yearly eye exams, some drugs, massages/physio, etc. You can easily make it worth it.

Cons

Like what I posted above? Well all of that comes with a big cost: THE PAY. Seriously, the pay is the #1 problem with FDM. DO NOT underestimate how little 45k/year is in the Greater Toronto Area. You are stuck with them for 2 years once you get a job with the client. This is the pay structure: - First year is 40k/year CAD and second year 45k/year CAD - Your pay is made up as: Ontario minimum wage (14$/h) every workday as a 'salary' + a 'daily bonus' of 30-50$ (depending on year) to make up the rest of the complete pay (40k or 45k) - If you work overtime you DO NOT get any additional 'daily bonus' pay. OVERTIME IS WORKED AT MINIMUM WAGE You may be thinking: "Even 45k seems pretty low for an IT job. On the other hand, I'm fresh out of university. Maybe being a little underpaid for 2 years isn't so bad". The reality is that FDM Canada is in TORONTO, the city that likely to overtake Vancouver as Canada's most expensive city. 45k is hilariously low for anyone in the Toronto tech industry. 45k is below the average cost of living in Toronto (seriously, look up a few models)! Setting yourself back this far financially as someone likely in their mid 20s is not a decision to be taken lightly. If you have student loans you will struggle to pay them off. You will need to have multiple roommates to afford to live in Toronto (most placements are in Toronto). You will have a very hard time saving or investing any leftover cash. If you plan on buying a house or condo in the GTA then you will be seriously set back by working for FDM. Additionally: - There is NO salary negotiation - If you want out early, their termination cost is 30k! Honestly, I doubt they'd be able to actually have that upheld considering it's more than the take-home for a 1st year but best to not try it without a plan and a lawyer first. - There is a non-compete clause in your contract such that if you leave, you cannot be hired by any of their clients (so your placement can't just hire you). This same clause also prevents your placement from dropping your contract to hire you. - They charge their clients 80$+/hour for you. You make a fraction of that. They encourage you to work overtime because that margin increases (since they don't give full pay for OT) - There are no bonuses or performance-based increases. They run the "FDM stars" program where consultants can be entered by their manager to win an Amazon gift card. It's a lottery system between thousands of FDM consultants, so best to pretend it doesn't exist. How can you increase your income with FDM? - Overtime: As stated above, you only get minimum wage for OT. You're better off getting a second job on weekends/evenings. - RRSP plan: They do offer a group investment plan; HOWEVER, it is not worth it. The investment vehicle is a mutual fund through Manulife. You are only working for them for 2 years which is not enough time for reliable returns on a mutual fund. Mutual funds have also been shown with high confidence to be inferior to index funds due to lower overhead costs. Just don't bother. - "Buy as you earn" stock matching plan: In 2019 they introduced a stock plan. Basically, you can have money taken off each pay to purchase FDM stocks on your behalf. You will be awarded an additional 33% in 'matched stocks' 2 years after the year in which they were purchased. The catch is that you are disqualified from matched stocks if you leave or are fired. If you become hired on by your placement when your 2 year contract is up, then you WILL received matched stocks purchased in each year that ended WHILE you were still employed by FDM. This means you won't get matching stocks for the year in which you left FDM. That being said, their stock is doing well and 33% matching is still a pretty good deal. I'm personally ineligible because it started in 2019 and I'm leaving in 2019 but I would have participated if I were to receive matched stocks. Alright, enough about pay. Here are my last few cons. They're not such a big deal since once you're on-site you only have to put up with being underpaid. - Academy environment: FDM comes off with a slightly patronizing tone, as if you are a still a child and not a professional (don't worry, your workplace won't treat you like that). You are a product that they sell to their clients. Account managers benefit from how many contracts they sign out to clients. Some (but not all) of the account managers obviously care more about how many consultants they contract out than the well-being of the consultants. - Choice of positions: While they can't force you to apply for a position you don't want, some account managers are likely to pressure you to apply for them anyway. As long as you aren't rejecting every application opportunity and waiting for your golden opportunity, you can just shrug it off. On the other hand, if you interview for a position and the client decides to take you then you aren't given the option to decline. They also consider it disrespectful if you indicate to the client during the interview that you are not interested in the position. - Volatility of positions: Some clients go through interview phases before they have secured project budgets. There is a risk of landing a position and being held in the academy for weeks, waiting for your start date only to have it fall through because the client cancelled. In first half of 2019 FDM also over-hired and ended up having to drop more consultants than usual who were unable to find positions.

FDM Group2019-06-28

"A company of opportunity!"

Current Employee - Software Tester in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Helps get foot in door to many blue chip companies and fast track your career - Job specific training provided to give you the best possible edge against other competitors in the market -Paid training. - Unlimited resources for you to be prepared for the role. Both soft and hard skills. - Eliminates the common job search conundrum of " Need experience to get a job. Need a job to get the experience" - Great opportunity for international students who have little to no Canadian job experience. - Competitive/negotiable 3rd year salary with paid benefits - Amazing workplace/training environment with a culture that is fun and help you be your best self. -Regular checkups on consultants on site to ensure their satisfaction and career progression with the client

Cons

-No standard annual salary raises after 3rd year unless a request is made. -Dedicated account manager, perhaps locally, for out of province consultants -Out of province consultants are not compensated for the extra cost of living and are paid the same as others. -Account managers can improve on salary negotiations after 3rd year on behalf of consultants

FDM Group2019-02-05

"Be patient on your job hunting, do not join if you have an alternative"

Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Provide you with some basic understanding on how IT environment works. 2) an Ok starting point if you do not have co-op experience before 3) oppo to stay in a big company with full-time offer after two years

Cons

1) two-year contract with low pay 2) All your vacation pay will be paid at the end of Jan in the next year. So if you use your vacation anytime during the year, you will not receive the full pay on that day, Only minimum payment 3) They do not care about your opinion towards the clients. You may be happy, may want to switch to another one, but they will try all their best to stop you and make you suffered there. Keep in mind, you're only a so-called full-time to them, kind of their products. 4) You potentially lose lots of good opportunities with the commitment in the two years. 5) Some of the account managers are trustworthy, some of them are not doing a good job.

FDM Group2018-10-20

"Good place to start your career"

IT Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FDM Group for more than a year

Pros

• It is a good opportunity for recent graduates to start their IT career if unable to get a job. • They provide 3 to 4 months of fast paced training and certifications based on the stream selected. Trainers have good knowledge and are very supportive. During the training, you get paid minimum wage (which was not the case when I joined). • You get opportunity to work with one of the top 5 banks in Canada. • If not placed with a client within 3 months of your training, you are free to leave FDM. • 2 years of employment guarantee: This can be both pro and con. Sometimes if you get beached, it might take longer time to join another client. But, I have seen some of them who were beached and joined another client in a month. • You have higher chances of joining the client that you are working with at the end of your contract. FDM encourages you to join the client but, you have the option to continue with FDM, join the client or go on your own. • I have always received good support and timely responses from the trainers, HR and account managers.

Cons

• Pay is lower than the market rate. • After training, you may not get to work on the same technology as you were trained and usually clients don't provide training. Sometimes you don’t even get a clear job description until you talk to the interviewer or actually start working with the client. • You are bound to work with them for 2 years. If you quit before your 2 year contract ends, you will have to pay $30K CAD.

FDM Group2017-10-20

"Big name and fale game"

Former Employee - Team Lead and Account Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are a girl seeking no career progression or if you are atleast a vp who has no vertical barrier or challenge/ threat. I in my first few months started noticing the inner workings of the compny. The key stakeholders are in UK. New recruits technically are recruitment consultants but on paper in background are called trainees. First few months down the line either ud be sent for a training or for a short trip or campaings to us and canada as a part of luring and faking growth opportunities. Account managers are strictly male who have bad standing in social sense and are wannabe womanisers. Southeast asian women are most often the easy catch for this position.

Cons

If you are a girl seeking no career progression or if you are atleast a vp who has no vertical barrier or challenge/ threat. I in my first few months started noticing the inner workings of the compny. The key stakeholders are in UK. New recruits technically are recruitment consultants but on paper in background are called trainees. First few months down the line either ud be sent for a training or for a short trip or campaings to us and canada as a part of luring and faking growth opportunities. Account managers are strictly male who have bad standing in social sense and are womanisers. Recruiters are predominantly females who are hired nominally to source candidates and more so to hang around with the account managers to please them at their will. Genuine career focused smart and intelligent ladies i had opportunity to work with quit their jobs in less than 3 months. I was asked to push new recruiter and encourage them to go into sales and train with the account managers. Upon seeing that none are going forth i realised that women recruiter here were just a means of keeping the account managers happy and distort their ambitions to rise if any. More so in past 3 years with the compny i heard the same bluff story give to the new hires that a new location is going to be a chance for some recruiter to take up responsibility and manage. There was just one and that too was handed over to a brit. Moral of the story is it is a high return business of charging clients slightly less than market, paying recruiters and managers slightly more than the industry and making sure the profits chirned are reserved for the highest stake holders in UK and may be a couple of execs in Toronto. If u are looking to make it big in recruitment or sales based account management it would be advisable to kick start your search after 6-7 months of working here and look into more professional compnies with diverse client base like roberthalf or ranstad if achieving corporate excellence is what u seek.

FDM Group2017-12-16

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 120 reviews